Sequel: Take Me as I Am
Status: Active :)

Beneath Your Perfect

The Perfect Smile

“You’re late.” I grumbled at Liam the moment I answered the knocks at my door. He shrugged and stuffed his hands in his pocket. I eyed him for a moment and noticed the slight redness to his eyes. He was hungover. I rolled my eyes at him and walked past him down the stairs.

“What?” he asked me. I spun around to look at him.

“I’m curious do you drink every night?” No response. “Do you go out every night to drink or do you drink by yourself?”

“Let’s go,” He said gruffly. Walking past me down the rest of the stairs, my eyes followed him before I started after him. He stopped at the bottom of the stairs and waited for me.

“We should probably hold hands.” He said to me bluntly. I rolled my eyes at him before taking the hand he offered me. He tugged me towards the doors instantly. I grumbled but followed him none the less. He instantly pulled me out into the crowd of every growing paparazzi. I breathed in deeply as Liam began to pull me through. People were pressing towards me in every direction. I tried to stumble after Liam as my eyes were blinded by every flash possible. People were yelling words at me that I couldn’t string together and I had a feeling I probably didn’t want to know.

Liam continued to tug on my hand and practically drag me through the crowd out into the open. I gasped out loud after we broke out of the crowd and Liam continued to drag me down the street. I stumbled blindly before catching myself and pulling my hand out of Liam’s. I instantly slid into a side alleyway and leant against the brick wall. My breathing heavy.

“What are you doing?” Liam hissed at me, clearly annoyed. I shot him an angry look as the tears built up in my eyes. That was one of the most frightening experiences I had ever gone through and all he could do was look annoyed.

His face softened slightly as he saw the tears build, however he quickly looked away and stuffed his hands in his pocket.

We stood there for a moment as I gathered my bearings again before pushing myself off the wall.

“A warning would have been nice next time.” I hissed at Liam, hating how my voice broke halfway through. Liam looked at me blankly. I scowled at him before leading the way out of the alleyway. Liam fell into step with me but stayed silent as we walked towards my favourite coffee shop.

I ordered my usual drink and waited for Liam to order his. When we received them I instantly headed out of the shop and down the street, Liam keeping up with me the whole way. We stayed silent for a moment until we arrived at the park.

“What are we doing?” Liam finally asked. I glanced towards him before sitting down on a bench, pulling my legs up to fold them underneath me.

“Enjoying life.” I told him vaguely as my eyes scanned the view around me. I smiled when I saw a bird fluffing its wings up for another bird. I reached into my bag and pulled out my camera. Setting it correctly, I leant forward slightly and captured a few photos of their mating dance.

“What are you doing?” Liam asked completely confused. I sighed and glanced towards him. Holding up my camera I quickly snapped a photo of him. He glared at me instantly.

“Perspectives change when faced with a camera.” I mumbled to him as I turned away and watched the people past. I heard him scoff and cross his arms across his chest, staring bored out at the beautiful scenery surrounding us.

I watched curiously as a little girl tugged on her mum’s hand and pointed in our direction. The mother shook her head but the girl insisted on tugging until the mother gave in and they both headed in our direction.

I offered them a smile once they neared us, having no idea what the little girl would want over here. The mother smiled back at me softly but the young girl wouldn’t take her eyes from Liam.

“Let’s go,” he muttered to me the closer they got. I shot him a look and he sighed and slumped back in his seat.

“I’m sorry but she really wants a photo.” The mother said quietly once they reached us. I smiled down at the young girl who smiled at Liam shyly. I could tell the mother didn’t expect to get a photo for the little girl. I studied Liam for a moment as he rolled his eyes and sighed. He opened his mouth and I knew he was about to reject them.

“Of course you can.” I cut in. They all shot me surprised look before the young girl giggled happily. I stood up and gestured for her to take my seat next to Liam. I helped her up slightly as Liam glanced away. She leaned over and I watched her whisper something into his ear. His face softened as he turned towards her. He sighed slightly before wrapping an arm around her shoulder and looked towards her surprised mum who held her phone ready.

“Smile Liam.” I smiled forcefully at him. He shot me a look before plastering a smile on his face. My breath caught in my throat. His smile was absolutely perfect.

It made everyone around him think he was truly happy. He looked almost angelic. However it never reached his eyes. His eyes that displayed the sadness that echoed throughout him. Liam Payne had successfully perfected the art of a fake smile.

I watched him as he smiled to the girl before the mother thanked him and they both left.
“What?” He asked gruffly, looking up at me. I could see the small tears in his eyes. My hand holding my camera instantly lifted and I snapped a picture of him.

“Stop it,” he growled at me. I glanced away before taking my seat next to him and aimed my camera in another direction.

“What did the girl whisper to you?” I asked him after a moment silence.

“Doesn’t matter.” He grumbled. I sighed.

“If we’re going to do this relationship I’m going to need to know a few things about you Liam.” I told him, turning my body to focus on him better. He avoided my gaze.

“This isn’t a real relationship, so no, you don’t need to know.” He said sternly. I sighed, frustrated at his closed personality.

“Let’s go,” I said to him standing up. He glanced up at me before standing up and following me back home. The moment we got closer to my building he fell into step next to me and grabbed my hand again. I glanced down at our interlocked fingers before looking up at him. His hands were cold, I couldn’t help but notice how much that suited his personality.

I slowed down slightly as I noticed the amount of paparazzi still waiting around my apartment building. Liam noticed the falter in my steps. He let go of my hand and I looked up at him frightened.

“Hold onto me.” He said to me before wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me closer to his body. I instantly latched onto him, wrapping both arms around his stomach, feeling his hard abs underneath my hands making a blush rise to my cheeks slightly.

I breathed deeply before we entered the crowd of paparazzi once again. I was pushed further into Liam whose own arm tightened around me pulling me right against his chest. I buried my head in his shirt and found the flashes and yells were muffled slightly. We made it to the door which Liam promptly opened and lightly pushed me in first. I glanced back as he walked in behind me. The paparazzi still flashing photos of us.

I would admit that paparazzi experience was at least a bit better than the last one. We both quickly moved out of the view of the paparazzi.

“Well I guess you have to go, I’m sure you have stuff to do.” I said to him awkwardly. He nodded at me and looked away.

“I should probably get your number so we can plan the next thing.” He said, not meeting my eyes. I rolled my own at him.

“Sure,” I said and grabbed his phone from his hand and entered my details.

“Well goodbye,” I said before turning around and walking up the stairs, not hearing a reply from the lonely boy at the bottom of the stairs.

I sighed when I walked into my apartment and placed my bag on the table by the door.

“Aria’s really angry with you.” Sarah said suddenly, scaring me. I gasped out loud and placed a hand to my heart.

“I got that from her opinion of me yesterday.” I said to her before moving into the kitchen wanting a drink of water. “What about you, are you angry at me?”

She sighed and eyed me for a moment before getting her own drink.

“Just disappointed I think. Sometimes you take your writing too far. I’m just afraid one day you might hurt someone or yourself.” I rolled my eyes at her.

“You’re being too dramatic. Liam barely has feelings left to hurt. I’m just helping him get the media off his back and in turn I’m getting great ideas for a story.” I said shrugging at her. “It’s a win, win situation.”

“Whatever you say Jade. You’re the one that told me that life wasn’t always so black and white.” She told me before pressing a kiss to my cheek and leaving the apartment. I shrugged uncomfortably before grabbing my camera from my bag.

I skipped through the photos until I reached the two of Liam. I uploaded them to my laptop as I placed them next to each other. The first one portrayed the hard, gruff Liam. He was like a stone wall. The second one however, after the little girl had left, showed something more. His eyes shone slightly from the few tears that had accumulated in his eyes.

Maybe there was some emotion still left in this broken man. I leant my head back against the couch as I continued to stare at him. There was just something about him that was too intriguing to let go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everyone who has commented, subscribed and recommended!!
The more comments, the faster I will update ;)