Sequel: Gravity
Status: Finished! 07/03/2013

Just a Fool

Halo.

I was freaking out, enough that I could possibly be marking the floor by my pacing. But I had to control my thoughts, had to control the beating of my heart—I had just slept with this man, and now I was meeting his daughter and his ex-fiancée; he had made it very clear that the word ‘ex’ was accentuated.

And she was beautiful—this woman. I couldn’t believe he had ended things with her, had called off the marriage. She was long, slender with legs any model would kill for. Her hair was long, curly and black and her eyes the color of a sapphire gem. And his daughter? Don’t even get me started on how beautiful she was. She certainly took after her father, but her face was the face of an angel.

“Evelyn?” The voice called from the other side of the bathroom door. I stopped pacing the floor and stopped at the door. “Is everything okay?” I felt terrible for excising myself the way I had, or rather not excusing myself. I just felt so terrible and not myself—I would never sleep with a man who had a daughter. But then, I didn’t even get to know him—I just went home with him, crawled into bed and did the dirty.

Matt was right—it was wrong of me to think of doing the things I did last night.

I remembered he was on the other side of the door and sighed. I opened the door to find his bright blue worried gaze one me. “I’m sorry for leaving like that,” I murmured.

He smiled, “I’m sorry for springing this on you—I should have said something, or did something. I really did forget she was coming over.” I shrugged and passed by him.

“It’s okay.” I said just as I heard feet hitting the floor. I saw the little girl come running in, a brown bear in one of her arms. Her hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail and she had to keep fixing the hair so that it didn’t fall in her face. I noticed the ends were sticky and wasn’t quite sure what it was. Her clothes looked dirty and she didn’t match at all.

Chris looked down at his daughter and I have never seen a man smile so wide as he had in that moment, and for that moment I found myself secretly praying that I’d find myself a man who lit up whenever his daughter ran into the room.

“Daddy!” She said with enthusiasm. “Can we go to the park?” Chris looked over at me and asked me a question with his eyes.

“I have no clothes, Chris.” I murmured.

He grinned, “I’ll take you home so you can change.” He offered. I furrowed my brows and looked from the little girl; to this man I had just met last night. I understand that what I had done was irrational and that it could come with consequences, but part of me really wanted to stick around—to get to know this man—to know more than the man I had met in bed last night. So I smiled and nodded my head.

“Okay, let’s go.” Chris grinned, showing off his pearly whites before turning towards his daughter.

“So, Lottie,” He said, “How about we take along my friend, Evie here?” The little blond haired, blue eyes girl looked up at me and her eyebrows came together, as if she was trying to think of something in her little head. She had, it seemed, finally came to a conclusion when she smiled and tugged on his shirt. Chris kneeled down and she motioned for him to get closer, and she whispered something I couldn’t hear. Apparently it was funny because he pulled away with a laugh and looked up at me. “Yes, she’s really pretty, Sadie.”

She gasped. “Daddy that was a secret!” She cried out. I felt my chest tighten at the words and wanted to scoop her in my arms to swing her around.

__

I didn’t make it home until six later on that day. With the memory of playing tag with Sadie on her mind, I walked into the house grinning ear-to-ear. I can’t remember having this much in a while and grinned more when I remembered I had an actual date tomorrow night with Chris. Of course this time around they would be getting dressed, grabbing a dinner and seeing a movie. Part of me wished that Sadie would be there, because within these last few hours I have grown very fond of the little curly haired beauty.

I let my mind wonder back to the day as I made my way to the front door, not acknowledging the extra car parked in the driveway. I was too busy laughing and grinning at the memory of Sadie begging Chris to “keep me.”

I made my way upstairs towards my bedroom and already was trying to internally decide what I was wearing tomorrow when my phone chirped. I opened my bedroom door to see a message from Chris—he had told me to make sure I wore something simple—but he had made sure to mention that he pretty much knew whatever I wore would be beautiful, anyways.

I rolled my eyes at his text and replied back with something snarky as I set my purse down on my bed. I decided it was a little too warm to be wearing what I had on, so I changed into something more comfortable and decided that I would marinate something simple for Matt to eat for dinner tomorrow and then get ready to just go for a run.

So I grabbed a sports bra, some shorts and changed and grabbed my iPod before heading out of the room. Just as I was closing the door, Matt’s opened and it revealed Brandi. She looked upset for a moment, but when her eyes met mine she looked smug. I rolled my eyes and made my way out of the area and down towards the living room, plugging in my headphones.

“What a slut,” She said, thinking I wouldn’t hear her—but my hand paused over the iPod armband that was positioned over my left arm, almost touching the play button. But when I heard ‘slut’ leave her lips, I turned on my heels and looked her square in her face.

“I’m sorry, want to say it to my face?” I asked sweetly, “I’m afraid I didn’t hear you the first time.”

“You heard me,” She said as she stood up taller, sticking her chin up as if it made her look threatening—it did nothing but make her look ugly. I rolled my eyes.

“I don’t have time for your bullshit, Brandi.” I said with a huff—I had hoped that letting her be part of the group last night would have changed everything, but I guess it hadn’t. See, this is what I get for being nice.

“How’s my sloppy seconds?” Brandi said with a smirk. “I’m sure Chris may have liked me better, but he always did have a thing for scrawny ass bitches.” I tore my headphones off and stared at her—sloppy seconds? Has Chris slept with Brandi before? On cue, she grinned as she saw shock run across my features, but I did my best to hide it. “Chris was delightful,” She said, making the word ‘delightful’ roll of her tongue without effort. “He did always like it kinky, though, which is probably why he left he fiancée.”

“Go to hell,” I said, the only thing I could muster up. My mind was reeling—images of last night rushing through my head. I can’t believe he slept with that thing!

“What, cat got you tongue?” Her brown eyes looked like she had won some kind of war, but I wasn’t even sure of what war she wanted to win. “But hey,” She said walking towards. She put her hand on my shoulder and frowned. “Don’t worry—Chris doesn’t like hoes that have STD’s, so I guess you’re safe.” In a way, I don’t think she realized she may have dissed herself. But I didn’t care—when my hand made contact with her face, I felt satisfaction.

She caught her balance quickly, which surprised me with the heels she was wearing honestly, and her eyes turned into big, red saucers. Yeah, I could see how pissed off she was but she didn’t know I was aching to do more than just slap her—I wanted to beat the bloody shit out of her.

But instead of rounding on me, she smirked and as I sat there and watched her eyes begin to water up with tears, I instantly knew—she only came with us to make herself look like the better person. “Mattie!” She cried out, turning her head to start running towards his bedroom.

Oh, fuck, I thought to myself. I am going to be in deep shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
My apologies for how short this is and how long you waited! I also apologize for the random 'shes' in the update, for I am working on a new story that is written in third person. If you'd like to jsut get a feel for what it's about, feel free to check out Not Meant to Be. I'm in the process of figuring out a few things, and also posted a blog about my worries and confusions, so feel free to check those out and if you're willing to help, PM me :D!

Evie 1
Evie 2