Status: slowly but surely

Primus Amor.

Cinderella’s Glass Slipper

The only thing I was expecting when I went over to that party was a very drunk Trina and a very boring night. Well, fate wanted otherwise.

Right now, I was currently sitting on a couch next to some guy who was part of One Direction. I do not know his name but if there was one thing I was sure of, he was damn attractive. His brown hair was hidden underneath a gray beanie but his eyes were clearly shown and they were a deep cerulean blue. Whenever he glanced at me my breath gets literally knocked out of my lungs. Why you may ask? I’m guessing due to my lack of social interaction with boys, I feel like some fish out of water.

I didn’t know what came over me when I popped in their conversation about curly head’s ears. But damn, there were adorable. It took a while for me to actually figure out that they were from that boy band my friend loved so much but at least now she was going to get one very special call from one of its members whose name I do not know.

I gave my phone to the curly haired boy expecting him to call but instead he gave it to beanie guy and that’s when things felt awkward, especially for me. If only Trina was drunk, the two of us would be home safe and sound and I wouldn’t have to suffer embarrassment but then Cheska… conflicts. That woman has managed to drag me to a party and make me stay. Who knew that my dear cousin was actually sober and that she just called me to ‘have some fun’ and ‘live a little’. I was going to kill her later.

I was about to tell beanie guy “nevermind” but he started talking and boy, his voice was so alluring I cannot even.

“Uh…”

I looked at him closely trying to see if he had any flaws. His eyelashes were pretty long and his lips were actually plump and luscious and right now, I have never felt so jealous over a man’s lips. Call me crazy but I am. I must have been moving closer towards him because I noticed him back away from me like I was some kind of animal. Embarrassed, I stopped looking at him and fixed my hair. A few strands came loose and I tucked them behind my ear. Great. He probably thought I was some kind of weirdo. I glanced at him again and he was still holding my phone, not doing anything productive.

“Do you know how to use a phone?” I blurted out loud, not caring if I offended him. All I wanted right now was to bust right of there, dragging Trina along with me.

“As far as I’m concerned, you slide that bar thing over there and click the name Cheska Nicolas. You hear me?” I continued, directing him on what to do. I was trying to be helpful in case he… was lost.

He chuckled before his eyes stared right into mine, making me lose my train of thought. He really does have nice eyes.

“’Course I do. It’s just a little distracting to have a pretty girl like you sit next to me.” He smirked at me while I tried my best to hide my blush. First compliment I ever received from a guy. A Brit that is. His accent was loud and clear and it amazed me.

I tried to shrug it off knowing that he was just trying to get in my pants or something like that. I shouldn’t fall for words that have no meaning. He was also holding a drink so that meant that he was a bit drunk right?

“I bet you say that to all the girls you’re with.” I replied nonchalantly, distracting myself with the hem of my shirt. Don’t look at him Portia. Do not look at him.

He laughed then said: “Only you love.”

I tried to calm down my beating heart but failed. He started to call my friend and that’s when excitement bubbled in my stomach. I wanted to know how Cheska will react to this phone call. I bit my lip and nervously watched him take the call.

I was guessing the phone was ringing. He was sitting there then out of the blue he took of his beanie to reveal messy mahogany brown hair underneath. He ran a hand through his hair and I felt like melting.

“Hello?” I tried to contain the smile that was forming on my lips, realizing that Cheska would be freaking out so much right now. I looked away from him and stared into the crowd dancing and grinding the night away. I frowned and shook my head. Never ever.

I continued to doze off, not caring what was happening with my phone and Mr. Pop star. I crossed my legs and hummed a tune my mom used to sing to me. A lullaby actually. I rocked back and forth waiting for the phone call to end when someone hauled me off my seat and pulled me away from the couch.

I tripped over many unidentifiable objects and my kidnapper dragged me all the way out of the house. I struggled but he had a death grip on me. First of all, he had bad timing. I left my fucking phone out there! Adrenaline coursed through my veins as I thought of a way to elude that person who was currently dragging me. Kick shins.

I raised my leg to kick his shin but stopped when I noticed that he was wearing a skirt. What? Is he gay? I looked up and saw a face that most definitely belonged to a girl. My jaw dropped as I saw my own cousin’s tear streaked face.

She continued to drag me even if we were already outside. She only stopped when she saw my car parked a block away from the gathering happening in one of the mansions. Trina sniffled and turned to look at me, her eyes red from all the tears she shed. Her mascara flowed down her cheeks making it look like a black waterfall emerged from her eyes. If she wasn’t crying I would have reprimanded her for dragging me and making me leave my phone with a stranger. It was my precious baby and now it was gone.

“Trina…?” Her green eyes were dull and glassy. She opened her mouth ready to tell me what happened but instead all I got was her wails falling out of her mouth. She jumped into my arms and cried on my shoulder. It was an awkward scene since she was so tall and I was so short.

I rubbed her back and offered her some comforting words even if I had no idea what happened that would make her cry like this. In the short span of time I lived with her, I have never seen her cry. Ever.

We stayed like that for a while, the cool wind biting every inch of skin exposed. My teeth chattered a little but I had to suck it up since Trina was having a much more horrible time that I did. The trees cast eerie shadows against the gray pavement which made my blood run cold. It was late and knowing television shows and news, it was dangerous to be out at this time.

“Trina?” She took a few steps back, still sniffling, and looked up to me her eyes redder than ever.

“Hm?”

“Do you want to get inside the car? It’s pretty cold out and I bet you want to go home now right?” I asked her, rubbing my shoulders in the process. I was shivering so badly.

Trina nodded her head and I immediately jumped to get my car keys out of my pocket and into the hole. That sounded wrong. Anyway, I opened the door and got inside already messing up the heater.

Trina sat at the passenger seat, fumbling with the seat belt. I sighed and did it for her. She mumbled a quick thanks before looking out the window, sniffling. I clutched the steering wheel and contemplated on going back to get my phone or just go home. I can actually go back but then I had no idea how to go back since Trina just dragged me and I have no sense of direction.

“Portia?” I snapped my head towards Trina who was looking at me skeptically.

“Yeah?”

“Let’s go.”

My lips formed a straight line and nodded my head. I guess I had to leave my phone behind. Damn it where the hell am I going to get the money to buy a new one? I gripped the steering wheel and set the car in reverse. If that phone was meant to be with me forever it would find a way back to me. It would.

The drive home was slow and silent. Trina didn’t utter a single word regarding her crying fest a while ago while I was too busy thinking on how to get a new phone without spending a huge ass amount of money. My job didn’t exactly pay lots and my parents would kill me once they found out I lost my phone. Yay for carelessness and an emotional cousin.

I stopped the engine once we were in front of our complex. Trina immediately burst through the door and went up the steps, her heels clacking as she did so. I sighed and did the same, running up the steps to avoid the chilling wind that was taunting me.

I went up the stairs and saw Trina, tapping her foot impatiently in front of our flat’s door. I smirked as I retrieved our key, waving it in front of her face. She rolled her eyes and sniffed. She was back to normal, kind of.

I opened the door and Trina waltzed in. I closed the door behind us and watched her take off her five inch heels before collapsing on our couch. Her red hair was a mess and her face still had mascara trails. I placed the keys back on the fruit bowl and went to the kitchen to get some tissues. The first step after crying is to clean up your face. Conditions apply.

I got the box of tissues and went back to the living room where Trina was lying down on the couch, staring at the ceiling. I approached her slowly, afraid that if I made any sudden movements she would go away. I placed the box in front of her and her green eyes gazed at me.

“Love hurts you know that?”

I jumped back at her statement and shook my head. Never been in love so I don’t understand her point of view.

“Not exactly. What happened?”

She sat up and got a handful of tissues and pressed it near her eyes. She stopped crying but a frown was etched across her face making her look like a grumpy old lady.

“Well my douche bag of a boyfriend decided to have sex a random girl at the party. Oh wait scratch that. HE WAS SNOGGING CHELSEA SANDERS RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME BLOODY HELL!”

She screamed the last sentence, anger flashing in her eyes. If I was put in her position I would probably do the same. Or I would still cry and watch The Notebook while eating a tub of Ben and Jerry’s.

My mouth formed a perfect ‘O’ as she said this. Wow. That must have hurt like a bitch. She continued to wipe off some of her mascara while mumbling some curse words that would put make a nun faint.

“I swear if I see him again I am going to cut off his balls and make sure he will never, ever be able to bear any sons in the near future. That fucking arse. Why did I even agree to be his girlfriend?! Fucking fuckity crap asshole I will murder him!” Trina seethed, crumpling the tissue in her hands.

I sighed and scratched the back of my head, not being able to relate. If I were to have a boyfriend, I would never choose a guy who would probably cheat on me later on. That would be a millions darts aimed at my heart.

“I would say don’t do that but he is a douche for cheating on you.” I pointed out, sitting next to her. I wrapped my small arms around her shoulders and leaned on her.

“I just don’t understand.” She whispered, finally calming down a little bit. Her hands were folded neatly on top of her lap as she stared off into the kitchen, deep in thought.

“We were perfect. We rarely fought. I wasn’t clingy and he was the over all good guy in the campus!” She reasoned, trying to find the answers within her mind. I rubbed her back and sat there, trying to comfort her but failing. Affection wasn’t my forte.

“What does she have that I don’t? One moment, were the most perfect couple in the entire world staring at each other goggle eyed and the next we were the most disastrous couple to ever be together. I just, I don’t understand.” Trina covered her face with her hands, shaking her head.

“Love fucking hurts. If this is what I signed up for then I quit. I fucking quit!” She screeched the last part and I had to back away from her to save my ears.

She started to sniff again and I was worried she might start another crying fest. I hated seeing her like this. She acted like a girl who depended on her man and that wasn’t the Trina I knew. She didn’t let anyone take control of her life and I wasn’t going to just sit there and let her love life get trampled on by a dick.

I stood up and shook her shoulders fiercely. I looked her dead in the eye and pointed my finger at her forehead.

“First of all, break up with him. Second of all, don’t let this, this incident change your outlook on life! He’s an asshole for not thinking you are the most awesome, beautiful girl in the entire world! I bet hundreds of guys would kill to be with you! And last but not the least, don’t smoke or do drugs.”

Trina blinked, slowly processing all that I said. Even if I wasn’t an expert in love (hello never been in love girl right here) I meant what I said. I was being honest and that was all that matters. Trina started to giggle then laugh at what I said. I smiled, happy that I was able to bring a smile on her lips despite the fact that her boyfriend cheated on her.

“You know, you’re actually right. In fact, I should do it right now.” Trina mumbled, fishing her phone out of her purse. Well, that was fast.

She unlocked her phone and started to call her boyfriend. I stood there feeling satisfied with my speech and watched her deal with that douche. Trina crossed her legs and I could practically feel her aura of revenge radiating from her. I wasn’t sure if she was moving on or if she was just caught in the moment. She was intoxicated.

The room was dead silent as I waited patiently for Trina to finish. I could clearly hear the phone ring in the midst of our presence. One, two, three. He picked up at the third ring.

I watched Trina’s lip tremble as she listened to his voice on the other line. If that was me, wait I don’t want to have someone cheat on me! I shook my head and focused on my cousin who was overcoming her feelings.

“Hey Richard? Yeah I just wanted to tell you, we’re over. Thanks for wasting two years of my life you bloody twat!”

She ended the call and gave me a small smile. I gave her two thumbs up before going over to her for a hug. Affectionate once again. She wrapped her slender arms around me and sighed.

“I hate this night so fucking much and I need to sleep. God, I’m tired.” She pulled away while giving me a grin. Even if she broke up with her long time boyfriend, I’m sure that she was still pained inside. A person’s feelings for someone don’t change overnight.

She stood up on shaky legs and walked over to her room. I was about to let her go when I remembered that I forgot my phone back at the party.

“Trina! Wait!” She turned around, yawning in the process.

“Hm?”

“I forgot my phone at the party.” She narrowed her eyes at me and shook her head, her red curls bouncing everywhere.

“There is no fucking way I am going back in there.” She spat before turning abruptly around. I rolled my eyes and followed her to her room.

“I just wanted to ask you if I can borrow your phone! I’m just going to call the guy who has it so—“

I was shocked to see her tossing her phone at me. I didn’t even finish my sentence. I glanced at it before looking at Trina who only winked at me before going to her bedroom to rest. That girl.

I stretched my arms and went inside my bedroom, Trina’s phone in hand. This was a major call that could possibly bring my phone back to me. Or not.

I locked my door and plopped down on my bed, staring at her phone. I unlocked it and scrolled down the contact list, finding my name. I dialed my own name and prayed to God someone would answer it.

My heart started to beat faster at the thought of him answering it. It’s not like I was dreading to hear his voice but I was nervous. What would he think of me? I was too stupid to leave my phone with him he was probably laughing at me. I sighed and let the phone ring through my ears. I crossed my fingers hoping the phone call would be alright and that I wouldn’t have to die of social embarrassment.

I tapped my finger nervously against my chin and waited for someone to answer the phone. After what seemed like forever, someone picked up. I sighed in relief.

“Hello?”

“Who is this?” My heart was slamming in my ribcage when I realized it was him. Oh god I hope I won’t die. I gulped and took a few deep breaths. No music was blasting from the other side which made me wonder.

“Um, Portia. The owner of the phone you’re holding.” I replied, feeling stupid.

“Portia?”

“Yeah uh the girl who asked you to call her friend. Wait, you are that guy from One Direction right? If not I am so sorry for assuming and uh, can you please return my phone back to me?” I rambled, feeling flustered. What if I was just hallucinating that it was him? Wow that would be really awkward.

He chuckled and it sounded… nice. For a guy I mean. I was lying down on my bed, looking at the stars I pasted on my ceiling. They were glowing in the dark which illuminated my room a wee bit.

“Ah, Cinderella has called to ask for her slipper back is it not?” My cheeks burned crimson red and shook my head even if he couldn’t see me. Is this his way of flirting or complimenting me?

“No. My name is Portia. Not Cinderella.” I deadpanned. I was going to cockblock him whether he liked it or not.

“Of course Portia, of course.” His accent flowed naturally through the phone which left me speechless. The way he said my name was perfect. I could get used to him saying my name everyday but that wouldn’t happen. I’m just a girl who happened to leave her phone at the most inopportune of times. He would forget about me the way I forgot about Edward.

“Anyway about my phone I really need it back.” I reminded him, trying to end it once and for all.

“Oh! I’m sorry. How about we meet up yeah? I’ll give you your phone back if you agree to meet me up at Felicity’s? It’s café by Thames Street.”

“What?” I blurted. What this guy serious? First, he wants to meet up with me then he goes off saying my favorite café in the whole world which was right outside the apartment complex. Was he psychic or something?

“I was asking if you—“

“I know what you said.” I cut him off. I know it’s rude but this was just unbelievable. “It’s just, are you sure about this? I could be a serial killer or something.”

“Would a serial killer have a picture of puppies as her wallpaper?” He countered and I could feel him smirking from the other line.

“No? Yes? Maybe? Oh, I don’t know!” I yelled, exasperated. This conversation was tiring me out.

“I’ll just see you tomorrow yeah? I would ask for your number but I’ve got your phone with me. 8 o’clock?”

“I—“

“Great! See you tomorrow Portia!” The phone call ended and I just stared at it with a perplexed expression written across my face.

What the fuck just happened?
♠ ♠ ♠
well this is a lengthy chapter.

so good news is that exams are over and we're on our Christmas break! Updates will probably come once a week if I'm not that busy. Thanks to all those who subbed :) Welcome aboard!

Thoughts? Feelings? Drop a comment :)

skinny love.