Sequel: If I Let This Go

Situations Are Irrelevant Now

Finger on the Trigger: The Ransom, Part 2

*Max’s POV*

All five of us tattooed guys paraded into this fancy ass bank, and needless to say, we caught a lot of people’s attention…and attitudes. “You boys seem to be lost. The juvenile delinquent center is down the street,” a snobby, old lady at the desk sneered.

Ronnie scoffed, “Oh, that’s a good one, granny – real original. Anyway, we’re in the right place. We’re here to cash a check, actually.” Ronnie smirked as he handed her the million dollar check.

Her eyes nearly bulged out through her glasses. “T-there’s no way that the five of you hoodlums got all this money fair and square. Alright, who did you steal it from?”

Ronnie was slowing becoming pissed off, as were the rest of us. We wanted that money and we wanted it now so that we can get all of this over with. Ronnie sighed loudly, “I’ve had enough of this! It is not your job to continuously stereotype and insult us. It is your job to cash our check and be old!”

Needless to say, we didn’t hear much from her except for the reluctant, “Have a nice day.”

“Damn, look at all that cash!” Robert exclaimed, echoing all of our thoughts, once we got back in the car.

“Yeah, screw what I was thinking before, this ransom thing was the one of your best ideas, Ronnie,” Bryan said, patting Ronnie on the back.

Ronnie smugly laughed and said, “You can only expect the best of the best from me.”

“Ok, yes the money is amazing but can we just get back home and get the rest of this over with?” I said impatiently, sounding very much like the “Debbie Downer” of the group.

“Yes, sir,” Ronnie replied, giving me a salute while pulling out of the parking lot.

Why is it that I have a bad feeling churning in my stomach? Why do I feel like Megan is about to be hurt by Ronnie in more than one way? Ahh damn it, I honestly think I’m being paranoid, but honestly how many ransoms do you know of in which everyone involved lived happily ever after? Yeah, my guess would be not a whole lot.

*Normal POV*

I heard the garage door above us open as the car pulled in. They were back…and I was afraid of what might happen once they returned down here. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Liza cringe slightly with each footstep that echoed off the wooden stairs. “Aw, did you two have some bonding time while we got rich quick?” Ronnie asked in a mocking tone.

I wasn’t in the mood to take his shit. Yes, Liza was “in the way,” but all we have to do is let her go and I’d guarantee that she wouldn’t revisit this place again. It’s as simple as that…there’s no need for anymore of Ronnie’s stupid plan.

I gave Liza’s hand one last reassuring squeeze before firmly standing up and saying, “Why, yes, Ronnie, we did bond while you were gone. And now that you’re back you can let Liza go and we can all move on with our lives.

He responded with a sarcastic laugh, “Whoever said anything about letting her go?”

“WHAT?!” Liza, Max, and I all gasped at the same time.

“Well, don’t be so surprised. I’m a little alarmed actually…I mean, just a couple days ago you were dead-set on this plan, Megan. Don’t you remember…how much you claimed to hate Liza?”

“Yeah, but first off – you never told me how all of this would end. And second of all, things are different now; I was entirely wrong about Liza, and,” I said, turning to face her, “I’m sorry for my actions and words.” Liza nodded through fresh tears in her eyes, showing that she once again accepted my millionth apology.

“Well,” Ronnie replied, “I definitely didn’t see this coming. But it was your own fault for judging Liza without even getting to know her. Now, I don’t know about you guys, but I’m ready for the grand finale here and now!” All the guys, to my shock and horror, cheered him on…practically delusional from the stacks of money they were lounging in. Max was the only one not participating in the adoration of cash.

“What is wrong with you guys? Why can’t you just let her go? You have your damn money already,” I said, somewhat frantically.

Ronnie shrugged, “So? We still need to finish off the plan. Time for the big bang.”

As soon as that last phrase left his mouth, I knew what he was planning. Let me take a brief moment to explain something…Ronnie collects a lot of things: comic books, beer bottles (don’t ask…), certain ‘inappropriate magazines,’ shot glasses, oh yeah and guns. Seriously, he has at least 4 shotguns scattered around the house. It’skind of fucking scary now that I think about it.

I just so happened to glance down toward the scatter of boxes and stuff near me and there was one of his guns sticking out of its “hiding spot.” Subtly, I picked it up and held it behind my back, clicking it into place. Ronnie just so happened to show me how to use it once, a long time ago. Actually, I’m surprised that I even still remember how to use it. The next time I looked up, I heard Liza scream a little as Ronnie held a gun of his own pointed at her face.

“Why can’t you just let me go?” she sobbed.

“Isn’t it obvious? You’ll tell the fucking cops. This is the only way to ensure that everything will go according to plan, I’m so sorry, Liza. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.”

“No wait!” she pleaded, “I swear I won’t tell anyone. You’ll never hear from or about me again, Ronnie. Don’t do it!” Ronnie’s firm grip on the gun faltered a little, and it almost looked like he was considering her proposition.

Max had been glaring at Ronnie for the past fifteen minutes. I could tell he wanted to stop this just as much as I did…but he couldn’t do anything because he didn’t have a gun to defend himself with. If he tried anything, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Ronnie shot him. That’s a scary thought.

The clicking sound of a trigger brought my full attention back to him. “Liza, that’s just not good enough for me,” he said, preparing to shoot.

That’s it…I can’t let him go through with this. One, I don’t want him being sent to jail for murder and ransom, and two I can’t let him kill Liza. She doesn’t deserve to die. I clicked my own trigger in place and aimed it at Ronnie. Everyone’s eyes landed on me. Ronnie, especially, looked shocked at first, but that shock turned into a smirk.

“What’s this, Megan? Why are you pointing that gun at me? We can’t be together if you kill me.”

“Well, I have to do something, Ronnie. I’m not going to let you kill Liza.”

“I’m sorry, but this doesn’t concern you. If you hadn’t just interfered a minute ago, all of this would’ve been done and over with. You’re just dragging it out. Stop trying to be cute and just put the gun down.”

I glared at him, “No, I’m not fucking playing around here. I’m not letting you go through with this.”

“Oh, really? And what do you plan to do in order to stop me? You can’t be serious about shooting me.”

“Don’t I look serious enough?!”

“Everyone in this room knows that you don’t have it in you to shoot me. Go ahead, Megan, shoot me,” he smirked, egging me on.

I felt myself shaking, my heart holding me back from going through with it, but my head urging me to do it. I felt the inner warfare, and it was starting to give me a migraine. Tears began pouring from my eyes as I lowered the gun in defeat. He was right…I can’t shoot him.

“That’s what I thought,” he smirked yet again, returning his focus to Liza.

Well, if I can’t shoot him, then the least I can do is help Liza escape before he fires. Without hesitation, I leaped forward knocking the chair and Liza down to the ground. While they were gone, I had secretly untied her hands and feet – she just kept them in place to fool Ronnie. I quickly pushed her toward the door, right behind her.

“You stupid bitch,” Ronnie growled, aiming his gun for where he thought Liza would be in this dim basement.

A gunshot was fired…and let’s just say the person you might have expected to be shot wasn’t the one who was really shot…
♠ ♠ ♠
oh no who was shot?! find out in the next chapter :)

3-5 comments for an update...cmon guys, no one wants to stay stuck on this cliffhanger, right? comment and then you'll find out what happens! lol