Status: Just A Working Idea

All Good Fun

Dreams turned to nightmares

I walked into my apartment, kicking my shoes off at the door. I grabbed the remote and turned on the TV as I went into my kitchenette. I opened the refrigerator and grabbed a beer. I plopped down on my ragged, ugly old plaid couch. I sipped at my beer, and the alcohol burned at my throat. I watched the news with mild interest. The reporter went on about the Joker's escape from Arkham, and advising citizens to stay away from dark alleys, and blah, blah, blah. It was all the same to me, and besides who's the dumbass that goes into dark alleys anyways?

My attention was caught as the reporter said the Joker had made his first kill since escaping, and he had sent footage. "The footage is graphic, and we advice you not to let children watch it." With that the TV flickered to an image of the Joker.

"I'm-ah back Gotham! But, I'm pretty sure you guys-ah missed me, while I was-ah gone," The Joker said cackling a laugh that chilled me to the core. "But-ah let's not make this all about me." He Strutted back to a brunette woman huddled in a heap behind him. He grabbed her matted hair and lifted her up by it. She was actually very pretty, but her face was scarred and bloodied. I watched in utter horror as he slowly sliced open her neck. Even more tears than before spilled across her face, and she gave a strangled cry. I found that I couldn't look away as the life slipped away from her, and her withering came to a stop.

The Joker's leering smile came up the screen as he stepped away from the body. "Now, Gotham, take this as your-ah warning. The Clown Prince of crime is back, and things in the city are going to change." With that the TV switched back to the news.

I got up from the couch in a state of shock. That was horrible, and the sickening scene made my stomach twist and pull. I turned off the TV and I walked back to my room, throwing out the beer bottle as I went. I fell on the bed and curled up on my side. I closed my eyes and willed myself to got sleep, but I was met with images of the Joker's smile and chilling laugh.

I don't know exactly when I was finally able to fall asleep, but when I did I was met with a night full of nightmares.

**

(DREAM)
I walked through a dark alley on my way home from eating dinner with Jade. She had offered me a ride, but I said no since she lived on the rich side of Gotham and I lived in the opposite direction. I pulled my jacket tighter, shivering from the cold.

I heard steps behind me, and whipped around, but no one was there. "H-hello?" I called out cautiously. I scanned the alley, "Who ever this is, stop messing around." I swallowed a lump in my throat, "Show yourself."

A chill went down my spine as I heard an all too familiar cackle. "Well-ah, aren't we very demanding."

I turned around where the voice was coming from, and stared right into his cold eyes. I closed my eyes tight, before opening them again. "W-what do you want from me, Joker?"

He slinked up to me, and grabbed my hair roughly. I yelped as I felt my hair being pulled out of my skull. He got very close to my face, and I could smell gas reeked from his clothing. I could fell his hot breath upon my skin as he spoke in a lethal voice. "I want you, my dearest Scarlet."

**

I woke up with a start, breathing hard, with a cold sweat covering my body. I kicked my legs as I waited for my heartbeat to calm down. The dream had felt so real. And the smell of gas, where did that come from? I had no rational reason to even assert such a thing.

I shook my head clear and climbed out of bed. I made my way to the bathroom. I took a shower, and got ready for the day. I had called off work for the day, so I decided I would go out into town.

**

I walked down Main Street, heading for the bank. I hated going to the bank, because it was towards the richer side of Gotham. I use to live up here with my parents as a kid, but after I decided not to go to college they disowned me. Ever since then I had been living down in the poor side. I had known some pretty influential people, like Bruce Wayne, as a kid. But, my parents had told everyone who mattered that I was a whore and ditched town with some guy in a band.

So I just hoped no one I knew would recognize me, and didn't ask questions. I didn't want my day off being ruined. I walked out from the cold and into the bank, glad the lines weren't too long this morning.

After ten minutes of waiting I was finally two people away from getting out of here. then I could go shop-

My thoughts were cut off by a sound of a gun. Everyone around me screamed and dropped to the floor. I followed their lead after realizing this wasn't where I live.

My hearts stopped as I heard the mechanical laugh that had already etched its was into my mind. It was the Joker.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I like this chapter, but I don't. It has some weak writing in it I know. But I'll to edit it and make it a bit stronger. Comments make my day, and can help me know where I'm doing wrong within the story. :) ~Sammi

P.S- I put (dream) because I realize I use ** for both time passing and dreams, and didn't want to confuse you.