Status: On hold, longterm

The Sweetest of Sugars

Chapter 4

When I reached home, I ran round the back towards the shed before bursting in. Sol was lying on the couch, Krissie on top of him. They were both staring at me, surprised, but then Krissie’s face was starting to go red.

“Did you kiss?”

“What?” Sol asked.

“Have you kissed her yet?” I asked. I could feel my voice breaking, tears in my eyes.

“What?” he asked again looking puzzled. Didn’t he know?

“Because, you can’t kiss her!”

When I said this, Krissie looked really upset and started to sit up. Sol got up too and came towards me, he looked tired and a little annoyed.

“Listen, who I kiss and when, that’s my decision.” His voice was calm and he sighed putting a hand on my head.

“But…but…” what if she dies? I couldn’t say it. I just couldn’t. They both just stared at me like I was crazy, so I ran out of the shed, slamming the door behind me.

I almost made it to the house when I thought, well what if they do kiss, and die and nobody else would know. So I slowly crept round the back of the shed and crawled onto the mound of snow. The curtains there were open so I could see into the hut.

I watched as they talked for a while, but I couldn’t hear what they were saying. Krissie was crying. Did I make her cry? And then Sol kissed her. I watched and waited as he kissed her, and then he stood up and started to take her jumper off, and then her shirt, and then her pants, and then she took his clothes off too. And they didn’t stop kissing. What were they doing? I wanted to go and ask them but something made me keep quiet. So I watched as they became naked. She pushed him into a wall. He put his fingers in her hair. She copied him. He changed places lifting her onto him. They just hugged and kissed and went everywhere on the bed, on the floor, on the sofa, on the walls. I watched as he kissed her everywhere. I watched as she rubbed him everywhere. I saw the strange thing that boys have but girls don’t. And he put it in her mouth and where she pees and she touched it and they were laughing and making funny noises.

I watched until the windows steamed up and then I went back inside to sleep. But I couldn’t sleep. She didn’t die. Yet. But still. I’d never seen that before. What were they doing? They looked like they were having fun. I wanted to have fun like that with Sol. I missed playing with Sol.