Guardians of Innistrad

Kyiers - Chapter II: 'To be so close'

After riding most of the day, the three horses come to a stop due to a river.

"We must allow our steeds to drink and rest a little before we continue", said one guard to all.

After they dismounted, the guard that had been without words the entire time ran to the water's edge in panic...
..."This! This is not happening!" shrieked a female voice.

"I doubt that this Tha..."

As the male guard was about to reassure his companion, Kyiers interrupted...
"...Stop Sir!" And the guard sighed in relief, as he was about to mention her name. "This river's level is wrong indeed." Kyiers continued. "We can never cross here. The water is definitely too high and wide. Not to mention the current is far too strong!" 'Weird' he thought.

Kyiers has seen panic in his days, and the display by the quiet female knight was strangely disturbing to him. Since it was only a rise in water level to the river. It was normal for this river to rise and lower, ebb and flow. Normal to him, normal for this body of water, unless...

...'Nephalia! Something could be happening elsewhere' he thought. Kyiers knows Innistrad and this river runs from Nephalia. It runs into Kessig where it forks off. One part goes norhteast through Kessig and into Stensia, and the other part of the fork goes southeast into and through Gavony, where they are at presently. He then began to notice that there was something different about the air, a smell maybe. Perhaps the skies were a bit darker than normal. Definitely more cloud-cover for this time of year. Almost Winter-like in that everything had a grayish hue. 'I wonder why I did not notice before'.

"Male guard! You said earlier that the Helvault had been destroyed."

Just then the guard had reached for another roll of bread from his saddlebags. Turning away from his horse and while offering the bread roll to Kyiers he responded with a question, "Yes! What is it Kyiers? Is everything all right?"

Kyiers accepted his rations for the day with a 'thank you' and in a full turn of his body, he looked around as if to be thinking about a way across the river. Kyiers wanted the guards to assume he was thinking about a way across, but his thoughts were actually... back on Ravnica.

'"I assure you Kyiers, the mire you are constructing on Innistrad is not entirely a place of worship!" The voice of Teysa spoke with a crack like a thunderclap.
"I guarantee you Baroness, you are mistaken", as he shot his signature smirk at her. "My plans to construct will not cease!", Kyiers said addressing the whole council this time.
"Why do you constantly disregard my and this council's advice, walker?" She then continued..."Not every church is a place of faith!"'

"Kyiers! Kyiers of Estwald!" The male guard hollered.

"I am sorry. I was lost in thought."

"So, you were asking of the Helvault. Then I lost you somewhere." His accent started to sound more familiar to Kyiers.

"Yes, of course." At that moment Kyiers snapped back to reality. "Guard..."

"Yes Kyiers the daydreamer?" Laughing at his little joke afterwards.

"...First, what are your names?"

"I am under no obligation to tell you, but I may oblige you if you could, this time, tell me how those woods were able to be constructing your chapel." The guard said with determination.

Still standing by the river Kyiers looks around, thinking of the river situation this time. Knowing that if he discloses his magic to the guards he may be taken prisoner, he only smiles and nods a nod of mutual agreement that the identities present must remain unknown. Even though these two guards as of yet may not know of his mana-melding techniques, nor anyone on this plane for that matter. 'That would be nice' he thought to himself. Kyiers has always known when to 'play it safe' or to 'play dumb'. A simple trait of the Ozhov. It helps them in their dealings. After looking around for another minute or so Kyiers speaks up.

"We cannot go towards the West. It would be at least two and a half days before we reach the Wolf Run Ferry, then another three to get to the cliff top. If you are in a hurry to get to Thalia, we can take our chances eastward and hope this rise of water does not stretch into Dragonfall."

At that moment the female soldier spoke again saying, "Commander! This gentleman from Estwald said he had some skills. Maybe we need to inquire about said skills at this time. He is much more than a mere guide, that much is obvious. I do not want to go around Dragonfall Pass, It scares me."

Dragonfall Pass is known for it's dangerous landscape. But mostly it is known for the legend surrounding it. Rumors have long since been told that centuries ago a large-scale war took place between the Elder-Dragons, dragon lords from another existence or another plane. Some even think they were lords over all Dominia. They had a great war that shook all planes. Rumors continue by stating some of the battling shifted onto Innistrad by accident. The dragons that landed here landed at...Dragonfall, hence the name. At that location great and majestic mountains used to exist. They were destroyed by all of the fighting that took place. All that is left is rubble, rocks, and sharp shards of stone. The humans have since created a path through and around called Dragonfall Pass. This pass is chock full of Viashino, the remnants of any dragons that perhaps survived the great battle.

The male guard takes note of what his partner said and walks up to Kyiers and stands face to face with him. Looking him in the eyes. They are almost nose-to-nose they are so close. Kyiers was about to begin to say something when all of a sudden...
♠ ♠ ♠
Having to continue another author's thoughts...fun! Fun and challenging to say the least. I hope you all enjoy my writings from here on out. Thanks!