Status: Completed! Stay tuned for the sequel :)

One Hundred Sleepless Nights

God Hates Us

Cassandra


“Hey, where are you? Come on we’re going to be late!” Rachel shouted from the living room.

“I’m in here, hang on I just need to get my shoes and my purse” I yelled back as I ran around in my room, trying to find my black and tan sandals that I bought with my first paycheck here in San Diego to pair it with my white drop waist dress with spaghetti straps.

After the conversation I had with Frenchi yesterday, I decided that I am going to make a move on Tony today. I put on my best dress, I styled my hair and I even put effort into my make up today. I feel like this is my only chance to actually do something and take control of the matter, I know this thing between Tony and I will never progress if we both stayed quiet.

After I found the sandals under the dresser, I took a final look in the mirror, fixed my hair and went out the door. There I saw Rachel sitting down on the couch with her feet propped on the table, watching TV while playing with her phone.

“I’m ready, let’s go,” I said fixing my purse on my left shoulder.

Rachel turned off the TV and grabbed her purse from the couch. “You ready to see your future husband?” She grinned and rubbing her palms together.

“Shut up, you are such a 5th grader” I rolled my eyes and we both walked out from the apartment.

The drive to Mike and Frenchi’s was quick; we stopped by a local bakery to pick up Frenchi’s favorite key lime pie and went straight to their house. I have to thank Rachel for insisting that she drives, instead of me, because the whole ride there I was shaking and nervous for what was going to happen. I may sound or look confident and what not, but inside I’m just as scared as I ever was.

“We’re here, you ready girl?” Rachel squeezed my arm and smiling wide.

I nodded and smiled, “Bring it on”. We both walked out of the car and walked towards the door. I could hear the sound of people chattering and laughing from behind the door and soon the sound grew louder as I opened the door and let Rachel and myself in. The house was packed and everybody was having a good time. I saw Jaxin Hall and his wife, Natalie who was also pregnant, talking to Jaime and Avela, so I went up to them to say hi.

“Hey you made it!” Exclaimed Avela when I was on her sight and gave me a one armed hug.

“Yeah, Rachel picked me up”

“Where is she?” Jaime looked behind me, which got me to turn around only to find Rachel nowhere in sight.

“Maybe she went to find Vic, I don’t know” I shrugged, “hey you two” I smiled at Jaxin and Natalie and gave each of them a hug.

“Haven’t seen you in a while, how’ve you been?” Jaxin asked me in his fading New Zealand accent.

“I’ve been better, but I can’t really complain” I grinned, “so how long ‘till baby Hall pops out?” I placed my hand on her belly gently.

“20 more weeks, I swear this thing is driving me nuts. All I want is to sleep all day, and even after sleeping all day, I still want to sleep even more” She rolled her eyes and rubbed her belly.

“Do you know the whether it’s a boy or a girl?” asked Avela after taking a sip of the soda she has on her hand.

“Nah, we’re keeping it a secret. So for now it’s all neutral colors for the baby” Jaxin laughed and so did all of us.

“Speaking of secrets” Jaime piped up while smirking at my direction. I gave him a glare only to be sent laughter from Jaxin, Natalie and Avela.

“Oh it’s okay Cass, we know” Natalie winked at me, which got me red as a lobster.

“Jesus Jaime, who else did you tell, hmm?” I snapped at Jaime who was grinning like an idiot.

“Just these two” Jaime grinned even wider, “I swear these guys got more Intel than the CIA”

“I don’t wanna hear it! Stop it guys you’re embarrassing me!” I whined and buried my face into my palms.

“So are you making a move tonight? I heard he dumped the blonde model?” asked Jaxin who I realized, was wearing a new Love Before Glory t-shirt I’d never seen before.

“Yeah, but I don’t know. Let’s just see how the night goes” I smiled and he just nodded. “Where is Tony anyway?” I asked no one in particular.

“He’s not here yet, bet he’s making himself look pretty for Miss Cassandra Hayes” joked Jaime.

“Ugh you guys are such kids, I’m gonna find Frenchi” I left Jaime, who was still laughing, to find the reason that we were all gathered here tonight. I went around the house, and I finally found Frenchi who was talking to Mama Fuentes in the backyard, sipping their drinks.

“Hey, there’s my favorite girl!” Frenchi stood up and gave me a tight hug.

“Hey Mama, long time no see!” I gave Mama Fuentes and a kiss on each cheek.

“It’s been too long, Cassandra. How have you been? Frenchi here was just telling me about you and Tony. I swear, that boy has got his head screwed all wrong” She shook her head.

“So everybody here knows, huh?” I muttered to both of them.

“Well, it was kind of obvious” Frenchi raised both her shoulders and got Mama Fuentes and I to laugh. It was true after all.

“I’m just so nervous about it,” I said, not actually thinking why I said it but I guess talking it out will make me feel less… jittery.

“It’s okay, everything is going to be fine” Frenchi squeezed my arm and Mama Fuentes gave me a reassuring smile.

From behind Frenchi I can see Mike walking towards us, I gave him a wave and he grinned and waved back.

Mike put his hand on Frenchi’s shoulder to get her attention. “Hey babe, it’s already 6, do you think we can tell everybody now?”

“Why are you so eager on telling everybody about me being pregnant?” Frenchi rolled her eyes and got Mama Fuentes to chuckle.

“I’m excited about being a father! Besides, people are asking me why I invited them to a party for no reason”

“Fine, let’s go tell everybody” Mike helped Frenchi up from the chair and we all stood up. Frenchi walked hand in hand with Mike and I walked with Mama Fuentes to the living room.

The only people that knew Frenchi was pregnant were the Fuentes’, Frenchi’s parents, and I. People here just assume that this was one of the famous parties that Mike throws just because.

Vivian held on to my arm tightly as Frenchi stood in the middle of the living room with Mike in hand, she was about to tell everybody to shut up when the front door opens. I was too nervous for Frenchi that I didn’t pay attention to the person walking in. Then suddenly I felt like everybody’s eyes were on me, well not everybody, but a lot of them and I felt Vivian’s grip on my arm loosen as she inhaled sharply.

I looked at Frenchi with a puzzled face but she was only staring at me with a mixed expression of sad and the face people make when they’re sick.

“Hey guys, what did I miss?”

Then as if it was that easy, I felt my heart rammed against my ribcage a million times faster when I heard that awfully familiar voice. Too familiar that I can tell that voice anywhere, even in the crowd, I can pick out his voice. Tony’s voice.

I took a deep breath to calm myself down and turn around hoping to see that he was glad to see me here, but only to find my hopes and dreams crash and burn like a freak helicopter accident. There stood, wearing my favorite shirt of his, the white Key Street t-shirt and black worn out jeans, Tony Perry hand in hand with none other than, Jessica.

I felt jealousy burning in the pit of my stomach, up to my chest, where my heart used to be. My eyes were starting to feel hot and watery as a sign of me being close to weeping and making a complete fool outta myself. I stood up, wanting to excuse myself from my surrounding but then I realized that this night was about celebrating Frenchi and Mike, and I was not about to let my stupid relationship problems ruin it, so I sat back down.

I gave Frenchi a smile, signaling her that I will be fine, and motioned her to go on with her thing. I glanced over to see Tony and Jessie, still hand in hand, walking towards the couch and taking a seat directly opposite mine.

“Hey, can we cut the music for a sec?” Frenchi yelled to Sal, one of the guys’ friends to turn off the music. He nodded and cut the music, leaving people mutters echoing the place.

“Hey guys, can I have your attention?” Frenchi said in a slightly louder voice than normal now the music had been turned off but everybody seemed oblivious to what was going on, as they kept chattering and talking to one another.

“HEY GUYS! SHUT UP, MY WOMAN HAS SOMETHING TO SAY HERE” Mike yelled loudly and everybody went quiet.

“Thank you” Mike smiled and Frenchi began to grin widely. “Okay, I know a lot of you were wondering why we were having this barbeque, well the reason that we invited you all tonight is because we have a very special news to share with all of you” Frenchi grinned wider, as if it was possible.

“WE’RE HAVING A BABY!” Mike and Frenchi cried out together, earning gasps and squeals from every part of the room. Soon they both were swarmed by people congratulating them and some even patted Mike on the back saying ‘good job’.

After what feels like an eternity, people went back to partying and enjoying themselves. Frenchi walked over to where I sat with a worried look, but Mike was still standing there, in the center of the room, talking to Jaime and Tony.

“Hey hon, are you okay? I’m so sorry I made you go tonight, I really didn’t know” Frenchi grabbed my hand and squeezed them.

“I’m fine French, really. Don’t worry about me, tonight is all about you and I’m not going to take the attention away from you. So stop it okay?” I smiled and reached forward for a hug.

“And I stand by what I said, that boy has his head screwed on all wrong” Vivian rubbed my back and shook her head.

“I’m fine, don’t worry really” I faked a smile and excused myself to get a drink.

I walked towards the bar and I saw Jesse Lawson from Sleeping with Sirens mixing drinks behind the bar.

“Hey Jesse” I buried my face down onto the table.

“Hey you, what can I get ya?”

“Something hard, I just want to disappear from the face of this earth,” I mumbled against my arm.

“Yeah, I heard. Sorry kiddo, here ya go” Jesse gave me a sympathetic smile and pushed a glass towards my direction. I raised the glass as a ‘thank you’ and went back to the living room. I sat down next to Rachel who was talking to Mama Fuentes and stir my drink absentmindedly.

“Hey yo! Can you guys be quiet?” Mike yelled over the music, which Sal cut off when he heard Mike shouted.

“What is it this time?” I hear people mumble, questioning what was going on the second time.

“So, uh… I wasn’t going to do this tonight but I really don’t see any reason why not. French, can you come ‘ere for a sec?” Mike rubbed the back of his head shyly.

Frenchi smiled questioningly and joined Mike in the center of the living room, I shot her a confused look and she just smiled and shrugged. “What are you doing?” I can hear Frenchi whispered in Mike’s ear.

Mike turned his body to face Frenchi and cleared his throat. “Uh… We all know that this whole thing is not on our 5-year plan, but since we’re doing this all backwards and in hyper-speed, I don’t think there will be any other moment that is more perfect than this.”

“I love you to death, Frenchi. I don’t think I could ever find anyone so understanding and accepting, and I couldn’t ask for a better person to wake up to every morning. So, Francesca Katie Maldonado, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?” Mike dropped down to one knee and presented her with a blue Tiffany’s box he had hidden on his back.

Every single person in that room gasped and held on to their breaths. I looked to my left and saw Avela and Rachel hand in hand, with their eyes nearly popping out of their skull and Vivian was tearing up a little, smiling widely than ever.

Frenchi had her hand on her mouth, staring back and forth from the ring to Mike. She then nodded furiously and whispered ‘yes’ over and over. Mike slipped the huge diamond engagement ring to her fingers and picked her up bridal style.

“I love you Fuentes” Frenchi said before giving her now fiancée a kiss.

“I love you back, future Mrs. Fuentes”

Everybody in the room were cheering and giving out catcalls to the newly engaged couple. I went over to Mike and gave him a hug.

“Congratulations! You really got us all there Fuentes. Take good care of my lady, yeah?”

“You have my word Sis, thank you for everything” He bent down and gave me another hug before going forward to being congratulated by other people.

I went over to Frenchi, squealing. “Oh my God! You’re getting married!” I exclaimed and engulfed her into a bear hug.

“I know! Oh my God, I can’t believe it! You didn’t know any of this was going to happen?”

“No, it was all Mike. Hey, what do you know, he can be such a romantic after all” I laughed and Frenchi followed.

“I gotta find Mama and Papa Fuentes, I’ll talk to you later ‘kay” I nodded and she disappeared into the crowd.

I sat back down and gaze around the room. Everybody here is celebrating Mike and Frenchi’s future, but I couldn’t help but feeling jealous and angry to the fact that I’m the only one stuck in a rut, hoping to be with someone who clearly doesn’t want to be with me.

Jaxin and Natalie are having a baby, the goofy and silly Jesse Lawson is married to the girl of his dreams, even my own sister is in a happy and steady relationship.

What the hell went wrong in my life?
♠ ♠ ♠
I really thought being on summer break meant more time updating but NO. For me it only meant CHORES, CHORES AND MORE CHORES. Life is unfair, really. Plus, the help that my mom hired ran away and thus, adding more work for me.

I love writing this chapter but I hate the ending, I really do. So, I'm so sorry if this came out really late and sucky at the end.

Oh, this is the engagement ring I had in mind when writing this chapter. I'm madly in love with this ring, just look at it! God it's lovely, and expensive.... But lovely.

Also, all you Of Mice & Men fans, I'm doing a new co-write with Jaded_Skies, called A Perfect Roundabout. Check it out, subscribe and comment! That would make me a very very very happy writer :D