Status: Its an old story | Everything before 'Restless' needs heavy editing.

Two Dead Boys

A Mothers Efforts

The next morning Paris arrived at the Campbell’s house early “dear don’t you ever sleep?” Sara Campbell asked as Paris brought her a cup of Coffee. Paris smiled a bit tired but still cheerfully “I could ask you the same thing, getting up this early” Paris’ lids drooped down “I mean it’s hard for you two” she said a bit sad Sara gave Paris a tender smile “I mean driving that far, half out of your mind, son sick in the back. It’s a lot on a person” Paris added walking over to the stove “so I’d figure I’d help you out today” she added. “Good old Paris to the rescue again” Sara chuckled masking her weariness. Paris giggled.

Paris fell Silent as Mr. Campbell came in, his face was covered in age and stress. He worked at his hair trying to smooth out his cowlick that Sara had always proclaimed she loved so much, as it held a boyish charm. Mr. Campbell was used to Paris coming over, it was almost as if she had become a piece of the furniture for him. She went unnoticed.

“Morning, babe. When did you get home? I didn’t hear you come in.” He said still a bit sleepy as he was trying his best to be awake and alert, ready for work. Sara sighed and took a sip of her coffee. “About four A.M” she muttered taking another sip. Mr. Campbell’s eyes shifted “I know its two hundred miles, but how did that take you eight hours?” He asked, Sara’s eyes wandered over to Paris who was fixing breakfast still, she looked at her husband as if wanting to avoid answering that question, but he didn’t get the hint and gave her a prying glance. Sara sighed in frustration “Do you really want to know how many times we stopped so he could vomit?” she asked.

Paris flinched in flip of a pancake and closed her eyes as the batter sizzled in the cast iron frying pan. Sara glanced at Paris worriedly “Matt” Paris thought her heart aching. Mr. Campbell’s eyes wandered over to Paris, he had finally gotten the hint, be it a bit too late. “Oh man” he breathed fixing himself a cup of coffee “how is he?” he asked almost nervously. “He’s ok now, He is sleeping” Sara said smiling towards Paris. “You can go back to bed get some sleep and I do a few things before heading out to work” Mr. Campbell offered, but Sara shook her head. “No you go on ahead, I’m still wired from the drive” she paused “besides, Paris and Wendy have things pretty much Covered.” She said with a faint laugh.

As if on cue, Wendy came trailing to the kitchen with the sound of mutinous children behind her back in the living room. Paris giggled and quickly finished the past pancake “Thank you Wendy, I’m so sorry for all the chaos” Sara apologized hearing the kids in the background. Wendy smiled “oh please, it’s better than my house!” she mused with a light smile she peeked around Sara and waved “hey there Paris” she greeted with cheer. Paris smiled holding the plate of Pancakes “Morning Wendy, the new hair color came out cute” she complimented. She and Wendy had been friends just about as long as she and Matt had been friends, maybe even longer. “Thanks! I just couldn’t stand that blonde, looks good on everyone but me it seems” Wendy chuckled Paris shook her head. “Wendy your mother loves your father, they just” Sara paused “have a different way of saying it” Sara tried. Wendy chuckled “Yeah well I always knew love was a four letter words, just hot those four letters” she said sarcastically Paris shook her head. And held out the second plate.

“Here let’s take these pancakes in to the ravenous masses.” Paris said giggling with Wendy as they left out of the room and walked into the room with two young children. “Paris!” they called running up to them.

Matt stumbled out of his room his eyes blurry and red, he rubbed his eyes “huh well look at that he was sleep like a rock when I tried to wake him” Wendy said setting down the pancakes after Paris “but they scream your name and poof!” she added Paris giggled “Moring there sunshine” Paris murmured. Matt walked to her and rested his head on her shoulder Paris hugged him and brushed his hair back. “I’m sorry about” Paris pushed him back and wagged her finger “none of that” she said walking over to the kids. Wendy smiled at the two, “I made him a plate it’s in the kitchen would you mind getting it for me Wendy?” She asked. “I can get it, my legs aren’t broke its just cancer” Matt said trying to lighten up his mood to match hers. “That’s not funny” Wendy said as she and Matt walked to the kitchen together.

“And then What? What do we do in the meantime? Pay a mortgage and a Rent?” Mr. Campbell ranted “we’ve got every penny went own in the damn store! Bought the Franchise but we didn’t Plan-“ Sara hit the table his her open palm “Nobody plans on having their child get cancer Peter!” She barked. Peter fell silent “you know” he paused casting his eyes down “that’s not what I meant” he said having calmed down.

Matt and Wendy slowly backed away from the kitchen, Wendy returned to Paris nad the kids. Matt pressed his ear to the door and listened to his parents, and what he heard made his heart drop. He glanced back at Paris, and saw her smile. He couldn’t take it, backing away from the door he bolted back to his room as fast as his broken body would allow.

“Matt?” Paris called tilting her head as she slammed his bedroom door. “Go” Wendy ordered as Paris got to her feet “I’ve got these two rugrats” she added.

Paris Knocked lightly on Matt’s bedroom door “Matt?” she asked but she didn’t get an answer, looking down at the door knob she grasped it lightly and flicked sending the door open, she slid through a small space and closed it behind her quietly. Matt stood at his open window gazing out at the neighborhood, at a large old tree across the street near a residential play park. “Matt what’s wrong?” Paris asked standing behind him, “They want to move me” He said hoarsely “Move you?” Paris questioned walking closer “yeah to Connecticut “he muttered. Paris smiled faintly “yes, but that’s a good idea so what’s-“Matt slammed his fist against the window pane “It’s an awful fucking Idea!” he yelled, Paris jumped startled by his outburst.

“I can’t be 183 Miles from the only thing that’s helping me besides the stupid Chemo!” He cried out, Paris eyes lowered and she smiled sadly, he had counted the miles as well. Paris had already resolved herself to the fact that one day Matt would have to move, if what his mother had told her was true and New York really did have all its resources used up, she knew it was coming. “Matt” Paris sighed. Walking to his side, she followed his gaze and looked at the tree, she gave a pained smile and watched it as well. “It’s not fair” Matt muttered “no, no it’s not, but the doctors in Connecticut can help you, and the drives back and forth will kill you alone if you have to keep making them” Paris said she fought her cracking voice, and blinked away her tears.

“I want you to get better, and I don’t want your family strained” Paris sighed “If that mean, having you 200-” Matt glanced at her “183” he corrected Paris smiled faintly “right, 183 miles away…then fine.” She said with determination. Matt grabbed her hand and drew her close to him “I don’t want to go, I don’t want to leave” Her muttered “You’re not leaving” Paris muttered into his neck “that’s why you need to go so you don’t leave” her grip tightened on the sides of his shirt, and she shut her eyes tightly as water dewed around them. Her shoulder started to shake “don’t” matt pleaded in a whisper “don’t” he asked again holding her tightly. Paris drew in her small tears “I’m sorry” she murmured whipping them away she backed out of his embrace.

“Fine, I’ll go.” Matt said “but just stop that” he added. Paris nodded. “We’ll do long distance…I can call every hour on the hour, expect for my treatment times” he muttered to himself “You can come down on weekends and spends the weekends with me” He turned to her and the two looked back out to the large tree. “Just, just promise me, you won’t find anyone else” he said softly “because I am going to get better and when I do we’re coming back” He stated. Paris nodded and Matt took her hand. “Go out to Wendy, I’m going to get dressed, I want to take you somewhere” He said with a smile. “But you shouldn’t be going anywhere for some time! You need to rest” Paris protested. Matt smiled more “It’s not far, trust me” he said. With a sigh Paris nodded and exited the room.

Matt took Paris by the hand once he was dressed and lead her through the kitchen, “we’re not going anywhere until you eat something” Paris remarked halting her steps. Sara watched form the table and smiled to herself as she watched the two of them “I’ll grab a cup of yogurt or something” He said tugging her but Paris stood still “No, Yogurts not nearly enough food, you need to coat your stomach after all that vomiting you did” Paris stated, she narrowed her eyes “besides that, Yogurt has Soy in it and the doctors said no soy!” Matt groaned and walked to the counter “fine, fine” he muttered grabbing the plate she had made him he popped it in the microwave. “You should heat it in the oven” Paris muttered “the waves from using the microwave once isn’t going to do me in” Matt said laughing “cut her a break” Sara said smiling at her son as she watch the couple carry on. “She’s keeping you in shape” she added amused bust still very tired. “Right” Matt said as the timer stopped.

Matt sat on the ground leaning against the large Apple Tree, his arms folded around Paris’ shoulders as she sat between in bended knees, her back relaxing against him. They gazed up at the Tree leaves, and the red apple that hung form the branches. “Remember we were hear when I first asked you out” Matt said Paris nodded “yeah, you stood under the apple tree and an Apple fell and knocked you in the head “she said giggling “it made you laugh” He stated smiling leading his face into her hair. He took in the scent of her shampoo which still lingered in her golden hair.

“You said yes to” He added, Paris stood up and he released her standing up after her, she walked around him to the tree trunk and laid her hand down on a carving. “You carved this…I said it was corny but” she paused and smiled “I’m glad it’s here now” She said removing her hand, she revealed Initials carved crudely into the bark inside an oddly shaped heart. Below them a sideways 8. Matt’s face became serious “come here every day if you need to but remember this” he said pointing to that 8. Paris Nodded, “of course, Forever” she sighed.

Matt and Paris returned to his house, they were Greeted by his mother. “Paris, I was wondering if you’d mind staying for dinner” Sara asked, Paris smiled “I’d love you Mrs. Campbell” She said Sara frowned “I’ve been telling you for years to just call me Sara” Sara chuckled. Paris smiled “I know” she said turning to Matt she held both his arms and looked up at him “I’m headed home, I’ve got to finish that paper” she said lightly, Matt groaned “Oh I’m coming back” Paris laughed as he pouted, Matt sighed and leaned down to kiss her but Paris avoided “not in front of your mom!” she giggled “I’m the one sick, she should understand” Matt muttered before quickly pecking Paris’ lips, she blushed in embarrassment in front of Sara and bolted out the house, Matt chuckled to himself as watched the door as it closed.

Matt turned around and his smiled fell into a grimace of annoyance. Sara gazed at him with a dreamy smile, and puppy dog eyes. That look mothers gave at the site of their sons in love for the first time. “Don’t look at me like that” Matt said in mortification, his face turning pink. “Aw he’s blushing” Sara sighed Matt leered “I’m not, it’s just the Chemo...remember turns my face red” He said storming past her “but you’ve not had therapy today! And it wore off when you woke up!” Sara called with a grin as he left the kitchen. “I don’t see how she could be cheery after all it’s not like she doesn’t know she’s ripping us away from each other” Matt muttered as he plopped down on the sofa and turned on the TV.

Sara turned away from the Kitchen door, and started washing dishes. She gazed at the suds sadly. As she recalled over hearing Matt and Paris’ conversation. When she heard Matt yell she ran to his room and stood outside the door. She heard his concerns about moving. But as Paris had stated it was the best thing for him, and what could she do? She was his mother, His wellbeing had to come before what he wanted. She smiled at the thought of Paris coming over for dinner, and how that would paint Matt’s smile back onto his face. At least for now she could make sure they spent as much time as they could with each other until they moved.

That’s when it had hit her.

Sara dropped the dish towel and sprinted to the phone.

Paris headed down the street to Matts house on her scooter, she pulled in front of his house and chained her scooter to the front gate before knocking at the door. Matt swung the door open his tired eyes seemed to sparkle upon seeing her.

At the dinner tabled Paris talked about her ballet classes and made fun of how stuffy the girls there were, the family laughed and had a good meal. Suddenly Sara glanced at Peter and nodded. Pete cleared his throat “So Paris, Your folks are gone a lot of the time now there that new deal they cut with Sony” He said striking up a new conversation. Paris forced a smile “yes, they’re rarely around for more than a day or so” She said Matt eyed his mother who had on a all-knowing smile. “must feel lonely in that big house all alone” Sara said in a motherly tone, Paris nodded a bit “I’ve gotten a bit used to it, it’s only scary at night, you know?” she asked Sara nodded “I know,” she paused and looked at Paris intently “I talked to your mom” she said Matt watched his mother with unease she had been acting so mushy lately he didn’t want to know what was going to come out of her mouth. Had she scolded Paris’ parents for not being grateful enough to have a child that wasn’t sick? Or talked them out of their Sony deal?

“I asked Belinda if she would mind” Sara said pausing again causing suspense in the two teens eyes. Wendy who had also been over for dinner watched the scene while making sure the kids were occupied. “Would mind what?” Matt asked dryly, Sara gave a wide smile “would mind if Paris were to move with us” she breathed, Matt dropped his fork and his jaw dropped, Paris began to choke slightly “what?” she finally breathed. “I’ve known your mother since we were girls, and we’ve had the two of you play together since elementary school.” She said flashing a guilty smile turning to look at Matt “I overheard you talking with Paris today about over hearing your father and I about the move” Matt lowered his eyes “I was originally just hoping to have the two of you spend as much time together as possible before it hit me, that Belinda wouldn’t mind us taking care of Paris for a while. All alone in the big house she needs a family around.” Sara said Matt went to open his mouth but no words came out. “So Paris is going to live with us!” Mary Matt’s 7 year old sister cheered. Sara smiled at her daughter “well only if Paris says she wants to” she said.

Matt turned to Paris, would she want to? And now that he thought about it, did he want her to? After all it would put her there with a front row seat to everything he went through. He didn’t want her to see the bad things, he wanted to hide all of that from her. It was his disease his pain, he didn’t want to see her cry, and know it was because of him, because he just wasn’t getting better fast enough….or at all. It was hard enough watching his family see it, explaining to his little sister over and over, that he wasn’t going to disappear in the night or not wake up, seeing his brother to brave to voice his fears but still see the look in his eyes.

Paris nodded “of course, I’m home schooled so it won’t bother that” She said smiling, she side glanced at everyone “but I don’t want to be a bother, It is an extra mouth to feed” She added, Sara smiled “you won’t be a bother, your father already said he would send us a monthly allowance to help pay for any needs you may have” Sara reassured. Matt closed his eyes and grabbed Paris’ hand, she looked at him and smiled “Mom…” Matt said as his grip tightened around Paris’ hand “Thank you” he said fighting the water that was coming to his eyes, the table fell silent. Paris smiled and rubbed Matts hand with her thumb.