A Million Nights

You hesitate

“Why, Annie? Why are you doing this to me?”

“Brian… I’ll tell you!”

“Tell me, what? Tell me, what, Annie? Why you still with me? What is your propose?”

“You’re only dating for 2 months, Brian! It would be a big mistake if we’ll marry sooner!”

“Gates, take it easy. You both have to talk.” – Tay said trying to calm down the things. She was very nervous because Brian was very angry and Annie was completely desperate.

“Annie, I have 28 years old. I want to have a family. And I want to make it with you. I choose you to be my wife and pass all my life with you. But… I’m seeing you’re still living a teenager dream. ”

“Bri, please. Listen to me. It’s too soon. I want to marry you but not now. We’re not ready. We need time to know better each other. We need to live together, to talk with each other about several things… Gosh! We need to spend time together!”

“Time? Annie, I don’t have time. My life is this! I’m always travelling, I’m always working. I figured you understood this already!”

“But after the tour…”

“After the tour we have other shows in America, we have interviews, we have lots of things to do, Annie. I always said you deserve more.”

“I don’t deserve more because you’re all I want!”

“I could be all you want but Annie… you’re a teacher! You have your relax life. You did a big mistake. I’m your big mistake!”

“No, you don’t. I love you, Brian! I love you so much…” – Annie said trying hug Brian but he grabbed her wrists and look at her with a very sad eyes.

“I love you too… I love you more than anything in life. Because of that… Go away, Annie. Go back to California and I hope you’ll find the happiness I could give to you.”

“You made me the happiest woman in the world Brian. Please don’t leave me!”

“I didn’t leave you. I’m not leaving you. You left me. You’re not ready to live this kind of life with me, Annie. So… you know what hurt me more? You’re the woman of my life… I know I won’t find someone like you, never again… but I can’t make this to you.” – Brian turned back to Annie and left the house. Zacky and Rita were coming home when Brian was leaving.

“BRIAN!” – Annie run till the door but Zacky hold her against his body. She stopped, resting her head on Zacky’s chest, crying a lot.

“What happened?”

“I think Brian broke up with Annie…” – Tay said cleaning the tears of her face.

“He… he hate… he hates me, Zacky!”

“I’ll see where he is. He doesn’t know anything of Lisbon so… Tay, can you go with me?” – Johnny asked Tay. They were very upset with all what happened.

“Annie, I’ll bring Brian to you, okay? But… calm down!” – Tay said to Annie, giving her a kiss on the head.

Zacky took Annie till the living room and they all sat in the couch. Annie couldn’t talk because she was crying a lot. She was still resting her head in Zacky’s chest while Veronica was telling all what had happened to Zacky and Rita.

“Brian is dead at this moment.” – Zacky said innocently.

“Zacky, come on, man. Annie is here. The truth is... he is really hurt right now. He really loves you, Annie. We told you this lots of times… I never saw Gates so in love like this time. We understand your side. It’s too soon, that’s right. Brian always wanted to know the right girl, getting married, have kids… Fans look at him and see a guy full of crazes. They’re wrong. You had the luck to new the real Brian…”

“Matt, stop with that! STOP IT! I know I lost an amazing person. I know Brian. I know how lovely he is with me. I know all his dreams. I know I made part of them.”

“Annie… sis, Matt was trying help you. Tay and Johnny will back with Brian and you’ll talk with him and everything will be okay.” – Rita said grabbing Annie’s hands.

“No, Rita. It’s over. My relation with Brian it’s over. I’m sorry guys but… I’m going to my bedroom. I need to be alone for a while.” - Annie left the living room and went to her bedroom.
In the middle of the city, Tay and Johnny found out Brian in a corner of a street. He was very sad and upset. When he saw Tay and Johnny, he run to them and hugged them tightly. He stayed like that for a while.

“Why did she do this to me, Tay?”

“She loves you, Brian. She loves you so much. Everybody knows it’s too soon to you marry each other.”

“Tay, listen to me!” – Brian said holding Tay’s face with his hands. – “when you really love someone, it’s never too soon and it’s never too late.”

“Syn, you have to understand her…”

“Johnny, I understand her. It’s because of that I did my choice. She doesn’t deserve a guy like me. She had a pacific life in California with Rita. I appeared in her life and she already lied to the psychologist, she didn’t go to her classes because of me… I'm harming her.”

“You’re not harming her. You’re the best thing she had in life.”

“I have no doubts of that, Tay. She’s very important to me. I love her so much. You don’t have idea how much this is killing me. But… she was right! We shouldn’t marry each other. Because what we had was just… it was a very beautiful thing but we don’t belong together. Now let’s go home. I need to pick my things up to go to a hotel room.”

“Will you leave the house?” – Tay asked.

“Of course. It’s Annie’s house. I have to get out of there.”

Brian, Johnny and Tay went home and arriving there, they saw everybody in the living room, very silent. Rita was crying because of that situation. Annie was in her bedroom. Brian went upstairs towards Annie’s bedroom.

“Syn, Annie is there.”

“Good… I need to pick up my things. I’m moving to a hotel room.”

“So, if you’re moving to a hotel, I’ll move too. I'll get your stuff.”

“Thanks, Shadows.”

Matt went upstairs and Brian joined the group in the couch. Coming Annie’s bedroom, Matt knocked at the door.

“Annie? May I?”

“Yes.”

Matt opened the door and stepped into the room. Annie was lying in bed in the fetal position, crying a lot. He walk near Annie and sat in the bed. Matt began to fondle her hair but she moved away from him.

“How are you, Annie?”

“You can have an idea…”

“Brian is in the living room… do you wanna talk to him?”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea. We need time!”

“Okay… I’m here to… I came here to pick Brian’s clothes up.”

“What?” – Annie said with undertone, getting up a little of the bed, looking to Matt.

“Yeah… I think you and the girls should go home. Rita is pregnant and it’s not good to her and to the baby…”

“Okay… but you can stay here tonight!”

“Thanks Annie but we’ll go with Jason and the guys to the hotel and then we have to go to the show…”

“I’m so stupid… so, so, so stupid!” – Annie said giving pouches in the bed. – “this tour… this tour is the first one without Jimmy and… I just did shit!”

“Annie… I know it’s difficult but… forget it, okay?”
Annie got up to the bed and helped Matt picking all Brian’s clothes. Annie started picking her things too. When they finished, they went back to the living room. Brian and Annie looked at each other with the saddest eyes ever.

“You can stay here tonight…” – Annie said to Brian.

“Thanks, Annie. But it’s time to moving on.” – Brian took her bag and went to the front door. They said goodbye to each other but Brian didn’t say a word to Annie.
They all left the house but Annie couldn’t stand up and ran up to Brian and hugged him. He was a little confused but he didn’t dare to get away from Annie, squeezing her against his body.

“I love you, Brian. I love you and I always will love you.”

“I love you too, Annie. Maybe one day we meet again.”

“I’ll always with you, Brian… Always…” - Brian dropped Annie slowly and for a moment they stared to each other.

“Are you sure about this?” – Annie asked, looking at Brian with her eyes full of tears.
Brian looked away like he was looking for courage to say something.

“Are you sure it’s too soon?” – Brian asked Annie looking at her with the same sadness as Annie. She didn’t answer him. She just looked at the floor. – “Yeah, Annie… I’m sure.”
Brian left Annie and came into the car. She started crying a lot but quickly she went back to the house and run to her bedroom. The girls run behind her.

“Annie, what are you doing?” – Veronica asked seeing Annie putting her clothes on her bag.

“I’ll go back to California…”

“Will you give up?”

“No… I’m not giving up. But… it’s time to go home. If you’ll go with them, I understand!”

“Are you crazy? I’m not going anywhere without you. I’m going home too.”

“Me too!” – Rita and Tay said.

“I love you girls. Thank you!” – Annie hugged them and 1 hour later they were driving till the airport.

*** 2 months later ***

Two month later and Annie and Brian didn’t talk again. Annie has lost a lot of weight and she was very thin. But she was very excited because Rita's belly was growing and she already had an appointment with the doctor this time to know the sex of the baby.
Zacky was not there this time, I mean, Annie thought Zacky was not there this time. One day, Annie woke up with her phone ringing.

“Hello?”

“Hi Annie, how are you?”

“Zacky! I’m… I’m good. And you?”

“I’m cool. Tired! Listen, Rita’s appointment it’s tomorrow, right?”

“Yeah! Why?”

“I need your help. I’ll come back tomorrow but I need a ride.”

“A ride? I’ll get you.”

“Really?”

“Sure!”

“Thanks Annie. But… don’t tell anything to Rita, okay? I wanna do a surprise to her!”

“Don’t worry! What time you arrive here?”

“Tonight!”

“TONIGHT?”

“Yeah! I’m happy to know you’re so excited!”

“Of course I’m excited! I miss my brother-in-law. Rita will be so happy!”

“I know! Well, will you pick me at… 9pm?”

“I’ll be there! Listen, Zee. How’s Brian?”

“Like you… heartbroken!”

“He… he has been with any woman?”

“Annie… he still loves you! If you see his hand as a woman…”

“Hell no! Zacky please… do you think I can have one more chance with him?”

“I don’t know Annie… he didn’t forget you! He can’t forget you but… I don’t know! Maybe… Now I have to go! Promise you’ll be okay!”

“Promise!”

“See you later, sister!”

Annie hung up the call and went upstairs where the girls were. Tay was talking with Johnny the phone but when Annie approached them, Tay run to the another corner of the room and Rita and Veronica were seeing a romantic movie.

“Come on, girls.” – Annie said while she took her handbag and the key’s car.

“Where are you going?” – Rita asked.

“Me?”

“No. my baby! Where are you going?”

“I… I was buying an ice cream…”

“An ice cream? You can buy an ice cream on the beach and you don’t need your car for buying it.” – Veronica said looking at Annie with a suspicious look.

“My God! See you later, girls.”

“See ya, Miss Han…” – Tay said hanging the phone. She regretted the moment below. Annie looked at her and the brightness of her eyes disappeared giving way to a sad look. Tay run to Annie trying clean all the mess she did. – “I’m sorry Annie… I’m so sorry…”

“Tay, forget it, okay? See you later…”. Annie left the house and closed the door tightly.

“Oh my God… I can’t believe I almost said Haner.”

“What crossed your mind to say that?” – Rita asked.

“I was talking with Johnny… I was saying Annie was leaving the house and he said Brian was almost there and…”

“I hope everything goes well between them at the airport.” – Veronica said.

Annie left the house and when she come into her car, she started crying reminding all the moments with Brian and the day he asked her to marry him. She was driving till the airport when her phone started ringing.

“Zacky?”

“Annie? Are you already arrived?”

“Just more 5 minute and I’ll be there.”

“Okay. Come to the Gate number 5.”

“I’ll be there.”

5 minutes later, Annie was in front of Gate number 5. She sat in a chair looking at the gate, waiting to see Zacky anytime. But suddenly, she heard a male voice.

“Annie?” – Annie looked at her right and saw Brian, Brian’s dad, with Mackenna, Brian’s sister.

“Brian! How are you? You should be Mac. My God, you’re so similar as your brother!”

“Are you Annie?” – Mac asked with a big smile on her face.

“Yeah, she’s Annie. What are you doing here?” – Papa Gates asked with a confused look.

“Zacky called me. He needs a ride to my house. He wants to make a surprise to Rita.”

“What? Zacky dined with us…” – Papa Gates covered her daughter’s mouth with his hand.

“What? No… wait a second… What are you doing here?”

“Annie… I came for Brian and Matt. Zacky and Johnny are in your house... Brian and Matt only came today.”

“I can believe in this… this was a plan for me and Brian meet each other? Does he know something about this?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know anything about this and my son didn’t tell me anything about this!”

“Annie…” – Mackenna approached to Annie and grabbed Annie’s hand. – “One day, my brother come to my house and… he was always talking about you. How you’re amazing. How you’re so beautiful… In that moment I just thought of becoming myself in someone like you to be able to find someone who loves me as much as my brother loves you.”

“Mac… I hope you’ll find someone as good as your brother. I love him too. I love him more than anything but… sometimes we know people and we are very happy together but we don’t belong together in that person. Believe me. I can’t love another person as much I love your brother. But… I have to go, okay? Brian, nice to see you again.”

“Stay, Annie. Maybe you can solve the things with him.”

*Ladies and gentleman, the plain coming of Amsterdam just landed*

“I said this to your son in our first met. If it was fate that brought us together, it will have to take care of this.”

*** The following day ***

“Brian, where are you going?”

“I’m going to the beach. Do you wanna come with me?”

“Hmm… No! You never know who you can find there.”

“What do you mean, Mac?”

“Nothing, nothing… good luck!”

“You’re very smart, little girl. You will be a great woman like An…”

“Like Annie? You know? She was there…”

“There?”

“Yes. Annie was there in the airport last night. Dad asked me to don’t tell you anything but…”

“Doing what?”

“It seems that Zacky and Rita had a plan to you and Annie meet on the airport. But we found us and I said Zacky had dined with us and she understood all the plain… Did you like to see her again?”

“Mac… I have to go, okay? I have to think… I have to… Bye, little girl!”

Brian left his father’s house and walked to the beach. Arriving there, he saw the beach full of people and walked to the place where he and Annie met. A place that is often without anyone. He walked and walked with hope of finding Annie there again. But she doesn’t there. He sat on the sand and lay on it, listening to the sea and the gulls. Tranquility that was all he needed at that time. He closed his eyes for a few moments. But nothing did erase Annie of his memory and his heart. He brings his hands to his face and started rubbing his eyes as those images will disappear from his thoughts but he began to hear someone approaching.

"You always told me it had been the destiny!"