The Pros and Cons of Breathing

Part 6

Frank’s POV

Watching Gerard suffer from withdrawal from the drugs and alcohol was so bad that for a minute part of me wanted to give him everything back, just so the pain would be gone. He was in a right state, constantly sweating, coughing, and vomiting. He couldn’t walk without assistance, either. It was bad.

“I think he needs doctors.” Ray told me after two days after the symptoms began.

“I’m not having him locked up with doctors who don’t care about him.” I said stubbornly, wetting a washcloth.

“Are you sure he can do this alone?”

“He isn’t alone. He’s got me, you, and Mikey. When Bob gets here next week he’ll have Bob too…” Then it hit me. Yesterday Ray and Brian had gone to fire Matt. “How did it go?”

“How do you think it went? It was awful.” Ray sighed.

“Well I don’t have time to worry about Matt’s problems. Gerard needs me.”

“I’ll watch him. Why don’t you sleep some?”

I sighed, knowing Ray was right. I hadn’t slept in three days nearly.

“You can take the couch or my bed.”

“No, I’ll sleep with Gerard. You’ll check on him every few seconds though, right? Because I know he won’t wake me up.”

Ray nodded. “Have a nice nap.”

I nodded and went to get into bed with Gerard, the wet washcloth in my hand. I wiped his sweaty face and neck, sighing. “You’re gonna make it through this, Gerard. I know you will.”

His eyes fluttered open. “Frank…”

“How are you feeling?” I asked.

“Sick.” He said, grabbing the trashcan for the floor by the bed. He began to vomit into it and I rubbed his back. He looked up and gave me a small smile. “Thanks.”

“Anytime.” I smiled and held back his hair, kissing the back of his neck. He threw up the entire contents of his stomach—don’t ask how he threw up since he hasn’t eaten lately—, then sat up.

He laid back down and I cuddled up to him, beginning to wrap my arms around him. He put my arms down and pulled me into his. My head rested on his chest and we laid there in silence, the only sounds our breathing.

I reached to grasp his hand—which was shaking—and smiled. He kissed my cheek and my smile widened as I drifted into sleep.



“Everything was fine before Frankie took a nap, I don’t know what’s going on with him!” Ray was saying into the phone as I wrestled with a struggling Gerard. “No, Brian… no…. Howard can’t do shit, Gerard doesn’t even know him! Bob’s going to be here in two hours. There’s no way he’s going to join the band with Gerard acting like this!”

“Gerard, you’re gonna hurt yourself!” I pleaded as Gerard pushed at me. He wasn’t that strong from the withdrawal but I was shorter than him so he still had somewhat of an advantage in size.

“Let me fucking go!” Gerard shouted.

“You were just fine earlier, baby.” I continued to plead, trying to shove Gerard to the floor.

Ray came over and helped me push Gerard to the ground and his head collided with a sickening thump. Shock registered in his face as blood began to fall.

“Shit!” Ray shouted, running towards the kitchen.

Gerard wouldn’t have any of it though. He shoved me aside and ran from the house.

I blinked several times, on the floor. Gerard just pushed me…. Fuck, that kinda hurt… Gerard’s gone… SHIT!

“Gerard!” I shouted, running outside. I ran off of the porch and couldn’t see him left nor right. “FUCK!” I turned to go back into house and saw him sitting on the floor of the porch, his head in his hands and his shoulders shaking. I sighed in relief and made my way towards him. “I thought you left.”

“I should have.” He muttered.

“No, you shouldn’t have.” I contradicted, sitting by him. “At least let me get you inside so we can look at your head.”

“It’s fine.”

“Gerard, you’re starting to piss me off.” I said impatiently. “Quit being so damn stubborn and get in the house so we can make sure you aren’t gonna bleed out through your fucking eyes.”

“It isn’t even bleeding and all I ever do lately is piss you off so nothing new there.”

“If you weren’t so fucking stubborn lately maybe I wouldn’t always be fucking pissed.”

“Whatever happened to being nice to me so I could overcome my problems?” he sneered.

“They flew out the window when you shoved me.”

He took a deep breath. “I’m sorry.”

“If you’re sorry let me fix your booboo.”

He snorted and I saw a small smile.

“Does ickle Gee’s booboo need a kiss?”

Gerard laughed quietly and stood. “Frank, you’re insane.”

“I know.” I said cheerfully, hopping up. “I’m a princess.”

He held out his hand and I took it.

“Promise me you’ll never push me again.” I said, holding him back.

He looked me in the eye. “I’m so sorry, Frank.”

“Just promise me you’ll never do it again and I’ll never think about it again.”

“I promise.” He smiled at me.

“We’re good now?” I said, rubbing my other hand up and down his pale arm.

“All good Gerard is if his Frankie princess is.”

I grinned at him, showing off all of my teeth. “Frankie princess is ecstatic… at least he will be when Gerard’s head is cleaned up.” I led him into the house. Ray looked shocked to see both me and Gerard smiling but decided, I guess, to not say anything. Instead he handed me a First Aid kid and followed us into the kitchen.

I put my hands on Gerard’s waist as he jumped onto the counter. Then I opened the kit and cleaned and disinfected his cut. “I don’t think it’s too deep, Gee. You don’t need a doctor unless you start seeing four or something.”

“I’ve been seeing four anyway.” Gerard complained.

I put my hands back on his waist and kissed him. “Let’s get up to bed and lay down, hmm? I’m kind of tired after all of that wrestling.”

Gerard nodded and went up ahead of me. Ray turned to me.

“Are you okay? I heard you fall earlier.”

“I’m fine.” I said cheerfully. I was extremely happy that Gerard was acting better. Even if just a little.

“That was… weird, there. He freaked out, man.”

“He’s fine.” I assured Ray. “Look, I knew this would happen. His brains all fucked up without the alcohol and drugs. I’d be worried if he wasn’t freaking out every once in a while or puking and shit. I know you think he should be in rehab but we can do this. Me, you, Mikey, and Bob can help Gerard through this.”

Ray nodded. “Just don’t let him hurt you, okay? He is a lot bigger than you.”

“Don’t pick on the oompa loompa, butthead.” I pouted, crossing my arms over my chest.

“Frankie, you coming?” I heard Gerard yell.

“Be right there, babe!” I called back, running up the stairs.

Two Days Later…
Frank’s POV

“I want a haircut.”

My eyes widened as I looked at Gerard’s long beautiful hair. “Gee, babe….”

“I’m trying to be a new person so I want new hair.”

“Your hair?” I fingered his long and black silky locks. The thing I first loved about Gerard was his hair back when I was eleven.

He nodded. “So I called up or stylist and told her. She’s on her way now.”

I yelped. “Now? Gerard, what if you change your mind? Give this a few days at least.”

“You just want me to chicken out.” Gerard gave me a smile.

I sighed, admitting defeat. “If you must.”

“It’s getting too oily and troublesome anyway.” Gerard said.

I was frowning, wallowing in self pity. Or, rather, Gerard’s-hair-will-soon-be-gone pity.

“Oh, it won’t be that bad.” He nudged me.

I nodded, smiling sadly. I should be happy that he’s doing much better today. He hasn’t thrown up once or lost his mind, but he also has felt sick to his stomach and was unable to eat and he has had a few cold sweats. According to a site I read about getting over being an alcoholic the symptoms should go away soon as long as Gerard is staying off the alcohol, which I know he is.

“Maybe I’ll be even sexier since you can see my face.”

“Nah.” I teased. “It was all about the hair.”

He laid me down on our bed, smirking.

“I’ll have to leave you now, Gerard.” I said in a moch sad voice. I moaned quietly and arched as he kissed my neck.

“I’ll just have to make sure that doesn’t happen then.”

Gee's POV

"Catch My Chemical Romance on tour now for their new cd Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge. Coming to an area near you."

I watched as the long list of cities ran down the screen.

Technically our tour hadn't started yet. In two hours we would be going to pick up our bus (WE HAVE A BUS!!!) and once again begin our tour. I knew the guys had gone through shit to put the tour on hold and some cities were so angry they wouldn't even let us reschedule.

"One hour, fifty minutes guys!" Howard Benson, our new manager type guy, called. Mikey was shoving T-shirts into a suitcase (to no avail since there were already about forty billion in there.), Ray was tuning one of his guitars, Bob was watching TV, and I had no fucking clue where Frank was. Actually I hadn't seen him since I woke up and went to take a shower.

"I'm back!" I heard him call.

Ray clapped excitedly. "Food!!!"

Then all the guys excluding Howard ran towards where Frank's voice had come from. Either the bathroom or the kitchen, from the direction they ran in. With the mention of food I HOPE it was the kitchen.

"Aren't you going to eat?"

I shrugged. I had been sober nearly a month and hadn't eaten too much since then.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm fine." I said stubbornly. I didn't like Howard too much but I'm sure it's because I'm used to Brian.

"So everything is good?"

I ignored him (So I was acting like a teenager. Who cares?) and stood from where I was sitting on the couch. "I'm going to find my boyfriend."

He nodded and followed me into the kitchen. Frank had gone to get McDonald's apparently for breakfast. He handed me a sausage buiscuit though I don't usually eat meat in front of him. Anymore I don't eat ANYTHING in front of him.

"I'm not hungry." I said, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"Just a little? You really need to eat right, baby."

I sighed and sat at the table. He plopped on my lap and wiggled around, then opened his pancakes. "Yummy syruppy goodness... mmh." he turned to face me. "I'll share my good and yummy syrup w/ you."

"I'll eat." I said, opening my sausage biscuit. Everyone ate fairly quickly and we still had almost an hour and a half until we left. Mikey's girlfriend Jeanna came over and they were now on the couch being lovey. It made me feel kind of bad because as much as Mikey loves Jeanna it'll be forever until he sees her while Frank will be right with me. Hell, we'll probably share bunks. WE HAVE BUNKS!!!!

"I love you." Frank said, sliding his arms around me.

"I love you too." I said, turning in his arms to face him. His arms reached over and draped around my neck.

"Are you about ready to go?"

"Yeah." I smiled.

"Good. Cause I've got one last thing to show you."

"And what would that be? We packed everything."

He glanced down, then up with a smirk. "You'll see in a minute." he whispered, then pulled me towards our bedroom....

Gerard’s POV

We went into our bedroom and Frank’s grin had turned from mischievous to just plain evil. There was a box on the stripped bed with a red bow on it and I rolled my eyes. “What is it, dog shit?”

“Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t.” Frank said, that grin still plastered to his face.
I opened the present and there was an extremely short red nightgown if the lace could qualify as clothes, that is.

“Okay, Frank, maybe you were mistaken.” I said. “Just because I used to have long hair doesn’t mean I’m a girl—.”

“Shut up and get on the damn bed.” Frank said, shoving me onto the bare bed.

“Mmh.” I moaned, pulling him down on top of me. He began kissing my neck and I arched into him, moaning. Our crotches pressed together and he moaned as well. This is one thing that had been happening a lot lately, making out and sex. It helped me take my mind off of the pain.

“I love you, Gee.” Frank breathed, rising up.

“I love you too, Frank.” I said, rolling over so I was on top of him.

“How long do we have?” he panted.

“I don’t care. What are they gonna do, leave without us?” I panted back, undoing his belt.

“Knowing how irritable Mikey’s been lately, yes.” Frank laughed, pulling my pants down.

“Are you guys in there?” Bob called from outside of the door.

“No!” Frank called, and then giggled as I pressed my lips to his.

“Your mom is on the phone, Frank.” He called.

“Shit.” Frank got up from the bed. I pulled my pants up but left them unbuttoned. Frank made his way to the door and opened it. Bob saw his pants were undone as well and, blushing, quickly handed Frank the phone and left. “Yellow?”

I pulled Frank gently back towards the bed after he closed the door. I laid on it and pulled him down next to me and worked on unbuttoning his shirt while he talked to his mother.

“Yes, I’m listening… sure, mom… yeah, we’ll be careful… and call if we need anyth—.” He drew in a sharp breath as I bit down on his neck. “Anything… yes, I’m fi—.” he quietly whimpered as I bit down hard enough to draw blood. “Fine… tired, that’s it…” his eyes closed when I began to, quietly as I could, suck on his small wound. “Nap will be good… uh-huh… I’ll tell Gerard… okay, love you… bye.”

He hung up and let out a loud moan as my hand fell to his crotch. “We’ve got tw— oh, twenty minutes, Gerard.”

“I can do it.” I said confidently, pulling his boxers down…

Three Days Later…
Frank’s POV

It was time for my monthly check ups that I’ve had to have since my coma and I was sitting in a cold room in a stupid gown, holding Gerard’s hand while we waited for the doctor to come back. Gerard was quietly singing This Is the Best Day Ever to me because after hearing his first CD I decided that one was my favorite apart from Demolition Lovers which he admitted to haven stolen part of from one of my notebooks. After the accident Mom had given him all of them, assuming the worst about my condition.

The doctor came in and Gerard squeezed my hand, then went to sit in the chair in the corner of the small room. He was still close enough to touch if I reached out but far enough so the doctor wouldn’t feel crowded.

“Now I wanted to warn you about touring. You’re body is still quite weak from the coma and the stress is going to be very unhealthy. You will need to follow a strict diet by the Pyramid—.”

“I don’t eat meat.” I said automatically.

“Excluding meat.” The doctor, a fairly young man, smiled. “You will need sleep and I know you’ll want to party but this is of utmost importance. Your body having the proper nutrition and amount of rest could be the difference in you tripping over a cord leading to a scabbed knee or the rest of your life on life support in a coma.”

“That sounds so cheerful.” I joked.

“You aren’t taking this seriously, Mr. Iero. Just because nothing has happened thus far does not mean you are out of the water and you seem to be under the impression you are.”

Gerard was listening to the doctor intently. I was watching Gerard.

“Mr. Iero, please listen. If I didn’t know you any better I would advise you not go on this tour but I know you will anyway under the circumstances. I can only beg you to check with a doctor monthly, take your medicine, and stay healthy. Vitamins will be prescribed on top of your current medication.”

“Yeah, I heard you. Sleep, eat, blah de blah.”

“And please, no jumping around too much. A hit to your head will almost certainly send you into a permanent coma.”

“Okay.” I hopped up.

“The receptionist will have our prescription; you two have a nice day.”

Once he left Gerard handed me my sweat pants and my Bouncing Souls T-shirt. I quickly got dressed, we got my prescription, and head out.

After we had driven about ten minutes Gerard turned to face me. “Maybe you shouldn’t jump around so much on stage.”

“I’m fine. If something was going to happen it already would have.”

Frank’s POV

We've only got one chance to put this at an end
and cross the patron saint of switchblade fights
You said we're not celebrities, we spark and fade, they die by threes
I'll make you understand and you can trade me for an apparition

STAND up fucking tall…
” Gerard sang, running around on the stage. This was one of those shows with a wild crowd that sang so loud and jumped around so much that, if we wanted, we wouldn’t have to do a damn thing.

We’d been touring a week now and this was only our third show but I was starting to see what the doctor was talking about, me being tired. I was pretty exhausted lately but once I got onstage the tiredness usually automatically disappeared.

I stifled a yawn, jumping onto the drums and playing my hardest that day. Bob was drumming but watching me carefully, probably because yesterday I nearly fell on him.

The song ended and I jumped off of the drums and went back to my spot near Mikey.

“LA, let me hear you fucking scream!” Gerard shouted.

I took a deep breath then drank from a bottle of water sitting on my amp. There was a roar of screams, but not enough for Gerard.

“Let me hear you fucking scream like a fucking sold out audience should!”

The scream increased considerably and Gerard nodded. “Now we’re back on tour, finally. My Chem has been through some shit lately but once again were back on the road.” Screams ran throughout the hall again. “We’ve got a new drummer Bob Bryar who we all love very much!” More screams. “We’ve still got our new guitarist Frank Iero with us, let’s give him a hand!” I grinned as more screams and applause rang through. “Toro and Mikey are still hanging on as well! But you guys don’t want to hear about that. So we’re gonna get back to the music. This song is called Give Em Hell, Kid!”

Twenty Minutes Later….
Gee’s POV

Three songs later we were playing Thank You For The Venom. We were almost done and the energy coming from the audience was the only thing keeping us awake by now, I think.

Frank jumped onto the drums again as the chorus came up.

So give me all your poison
And give me all your pills
And give me all your hopeless hearts
And make me ill
You're running after something
That you'll never kill
If this is what you want
Then fire at will”


Frank’s POV

I was jumping off of the drums and stumbled on a cord to Bob’s amp. I was in shock and just lay on the floor several seconds. Everything sounded far away and my vision was getting blurry. I felt myself being lifted into someone’s arms and knew it wasn’t Gerard because this man was black and large.

“You’re alright there, Frank.” They said. I knew this was one the security guards. I blinked, trying to clear my vision. It didn’t work, only made it worse.

“Did anyone call a doctor?” I heard Mikey ask.

“Gerard’s on the phone with one now.”

“We can’t get out of here yet. The kids will take hours to clear out.” Ray insisted.

I was laid down on the cold ground.

“I’m fine.” I muttered, not recognizing my voice.

“Just lay down. You were out quite a bit.”

“Out?” I muttered.

“Yeah. We couldn’t get you up until the kids cleared out.” Bob said, helping me sit up.

“I can’t see anything.” I told him quietly, not wanting Gerard to hear.

“He’s calling your doctor now.” Bob assured me.

“I shouldn’t have gone to that party last night.” I sighed.

“You’re gonna be fine.”

I blinked and my vision was still blurry but I could make out things. I wiped my eyes and this month it seemed to help.

Gerard’s face swam into focus and he put his hands on either side of my face. “Baby, you’re awake.”

I nodded. “I’m fine, Gerard.”

“I told you to take a nap earlier today and to not run around so much. You could have gotten seriously hurt.”

“I’m fine, Gerard.” I repeated, pulling his head down to kiss me.

That’s when I realized it wasn’t Gerard, but Mikey. I’d just kissed Mikey. Gerard was in front of me, not beside me. I didn’t have time to dwell on it though because I drifted into blackness…