Lucifer's Angel

General Armstrong

I leaned back into my seat, staring at the wall beyond the Colonel’s head. Even after he’d answered all my questions completely and let his answers sink in, my reality still wasn’t sinking in. This just couldn’t be possible. It was too much, too much for me to comprehend, too much to take in all at once. There were a lot of things that finally made since to me though, old, faint memories had connected with the things that Roy was telling me, making things clearer for me. The reason Katharine, Miles and I had moved around so much, the reason I’d passed Mr.Ridgemen’s impossible test was due to these powers that I supposedly had. Jean had called it superhuman mentality, which was apparently his particular power. He’d proved that by reading my thoughts.

Roy had also shown me a demonstration of his ability over fire and what he could do with it. He’d explained to me that after the guardians had been created, the military had created a drug that caused the powers to be passed down from generation to generation so the powers would have a better chance of not dying out with the people and so on. He’d also explained that I was known by the military as Lucifer’s Angel because I had the ability to use the power of the Cor Omnium. Even still, there was one thing I didn’t get though.

‘’So, if Lucifer is this all powerful God who created the world as we know it, then how does he tie into religions of the world? I thought Lucifer was supposed to be the bad guy.’’

‘’Well,’’ Colonel Michaels replied, kicking his feet up on his desk. By now, Jean had gone to get something to eat, so it was just the two of us in the office.

‘’To put it simply, all world religions are wrong. In Christianity Lucifer was the name that the devil had before he was cast out of heaven. They got the name right, but the story wrong. In truth, and only upper-class military know this, there’s no heaven or hell at all, or anything like that. It’s all wrong. Lucifer, in actuality, is entirely impartial. His power over human will is practically nonexistent. Humans themselves create the influences of our world, not him. He may have started it in the beginning, but he no longer controls it, and therefore, humans can do what they want. A person can either do good things in their life, or bad, when they die, they have a punishment and reward that is based on the bad and good things they’ve done Lucifer is neither good nor evil, I suppose,’’ the Colonel explained.

‘’All powerful or not, that seems boring,’’ I replied. The Colonel laughed.

‘’It would seem so. Lucifer makes it that way, or maybe he doesn’t. We don’t actually know for sure. There’s a lot of speculation surrounding how he was created and what he actually does for or to the human race and our world now. There’s also some questions surrounding the stone as well. If it did in fact create Lucifer some how, it would have to have a mind of its own or something, wouldn’t it, to be able to think up something like the human race and make us as complex as we are?’’ he asked.

‘’Even when you know the truth, there’s still questions to be answered,’’ I replied.

‘’That’s how it always seems to go,’’ Roy answered.

‘’Yeah…’’ I trailed off. He had brought up several interesting concepts with the stone and all.

‘’I don’t know about you,’’ I said, looking down at the necklace. The Colonel had fixed the chain for me by melting it together, so it was situated back around my neck again.

‘’But if this thing ever starts talking to me, like it has a mind of it’s own, I’m yanking this thing off, throwing it as far as I can, and then I’m gonna run like hell in the other direction,’’ I added, laughing. Just then, there was a knock at the door.

‘’Come in,’’ Colonel Roy called. When it did, Jean walked in, closely followed by someone else, and judging by the stars on his uniform, he was definitely a command General. The Colonel stood up quickly, snapped to attention and saluted when the other man entered the room, somewhat confirming my suspicions. Suddenly though, I felt like I should stand as well.

‘’At ease, Colonel,’’ the other man commanded and Roy relaxed, then sat down in his chair once again, but a strong formality hung in the room.

‘’Good afternoon, General Armstrong, what brings you here, if I may ask,’’ Roy asked.

‘’ Oh, I just came by to let you know that I’ll be in Central by the end of the week, as well as the rest of the guardians. I had General Ulrich talk to Murdoch about setting up rooms for you your team and Mary there as well as an office so that’s taken care of. You guys should be able to get to work once you get there. I also sent word in to General Briggs letting her know you might go there, so if you need to, she’ll have an escort ready for you at the base of the mountains if you just give her the call,’’ General Armstrong explained.

‘’Very well, thank you sir, I appreciate it,’’ Roy replied.

‘’I also figured I should stop by to meet the young lady that’s at the heart of all this commotion,’’ he stated, turning to me. I stood up immediately. He reached out his hand for me to shake and I did so.

‘’It’s an honor to finally meet you, kid,’’ General Armstrong spoke with a loud, yet somehow, an un-intimidating voice and tone.

‘’I think you’ve got that backwards sir, it’s an honor to meet you, General Armstrong,’’ I replied.

‘’Agree to disagree,’’ he asked with a grin.

‘’Alrighty,’’ I replied, smiling.

‘’Oh, you can call me Alex, by the way. Mr. Pain in the Ass over there just likes to be a… well, a pain in the ass,’’ he laughed, gesturing to Colonel Michaels. I laughed as well.

‘’So I’ve noticed,’’ I looked over at the Colonel with a smirk and he just made a face at me when General Armstrong wasn’t looking.

‘’General Armstrong, has General La Vega gone back to South America yet,’’ Jean asked, coming into the conversation.

‘’Yeah, he had to go take care of something but like always, wherever the guardians go, he goes, so he’ll be in Central with me at the end of this week as well. Why do you ask,’’ Alex asked, turning to Jean.

‘’Oh, I was going to ask him something for Maria, but it’d probably be better if she just asked him herself.’’

‘’If it’s about guns, then probably so,’’ Alex replied.

‘’Hey,’’ Jean interjected. ‘’I know my way around several different types of guns.’’

‘’Yeah, and she knows her way around hundreds,’’ Alex replied.

‘’Good point,’’ Jean grumbled.

‘’Of course it’s a good point,’’ Alex laughed. I looked over, seeing the Colonel shake his head with an amused smile.

‘’Anyways, I should be getting back to work, I’ll see you all later,’’ General Armstrong said finally, turning to leave. He closed the door behind him

‘’Well, he’s not what I expected for being a Command General,’’ I said once he was gone.

‘’Wait till you meet his best friend.’’
♠ ♠ ♠
So, yeah, not a very eventful chapter. This was just fleshing out the idea behind Lucifer a little more, really. Things pick up a little more in the next chapter! Again, here reaction isn't very much there, but it will be soon. Soon you'll know what she's thinking.

What do you guys think of General Armstrong?