Status: Completed.

The Forbidden Fruit

Pearl necklace

News of my betrothal to George was now known by everyone. It seems he could not keep quiet about it. Darius had asked George's permission for me to be his partner for the night. He could not say no to his master. However, George said to make up for it all, he was going to sneak into my room at night so that we could have a little feast. It had been a while since we had last held a feast in my room. The last time we did so was when Gwendolyn and Albert were leaving. George and I had never done one on our own. I had also written a letter to both my siblings to inform them of this and they had been delighted to hear the news. Albert mockingly said "and I thought you would never marry" in his letter.
Grace and I were in my room, as she helped me wear my dress.
"Were you aware that this was shipped from France," Grace pointed out, "I surely wonder what star you were born under."
I smiled. Grace had been busy with all her plans she had hardly set foot in the Rutherford Manor. She looked rather tired, but happy at the same time. I guess I was going to look the same when making my plans with George, though the chances of a wedding were quite low.
"You are going to be doing this in but a few months Elise," Grace laughed, "I am so glad you and George are together. You always spoke of him with a twinkle in your eyes. Maids who had thought you were the master's mistress were shocked to hear so as well. George even told us you got his blessing did you not? Then how could you possibly be his mistress."
For a second I froze. The words I had longed forgotten had flooded back and left.
"Elise. You are not my first mistress. With that been said, I have had many rebel and others refuse to submit to my will. I personally took it upon myself to eradicate their rebellious streak and I assure you, their bodies are no longer a pretty sight. I hope you don't end the same way as they did."
I had not submitted to him yet, that was for certain. From the reaction the Count had given Darius when he had been threatened was a sign to show that he was not a man to be reckoned with. Darius was not one to make empty threats, so what did he have in store for me?
"Are you unwell?" Grace said as her hand touched my forehead, "it seems your face has gone rather pale."
I felt rather faint. What was he going to do to me? Grace was my friend. I could tell her everything. It was time I told her the truth.
"Grace," I said as I slipped into the large purple dress Darius had bought for me, "Mr. Rutherford and I..."
With that, Darius walked into my room without knocking to find me sitting with Grace. He had a box in his hand.
"Speak of the devil," Grace laughed as she got up and curtsied, "well, I best leave you two be. Elise, be sure to tell me of everything that hapens tonight."
With that, she left.
"I saw this on my trip to Dublin," he said as he took out a beautiful pearl necklace, "it was quite expensive, but you deserve only the best."
"Thank you," I said unwillingly, and it was evident in my voice.
He came nearer and as he was about to place it round my neck, I pushed away his hand and apologized, "I can do it on my own."
He let out an amused laugh.
"Common law says the man you ought to marry needs to buy you of me," he said as he placed the necklace round my neck and held up my chin, "is George aware of that?"
He leaned over and kissed me. I tried to fight him off, but he was too powerful "Does...George...know...that...you...are...my....property?" he said in between kisses as he took off his clothes.
"No, please, don't do this Darius," I pleaded, "I'm betrothed to him now."
"I don't recall you asking if I approved," he said as he carefully took off my dress. Why was I so helpless against him?
"..which I don't."
"Darius please, please understand," I begged, "I thought that you were kind."
"You thought wrong," he whispered into my ear as I felt his fingers inside me. I dug into his skin as hot tears poured down my cheeks. He licked them off with his tongue as he let out a chuckle.
"Please wait," a muffled cry escaped my lips.
"No," he growled, "I've waited for far too long now. I just can't hold it in any longer. It was stupid of me to give you too much freedom. If I had known, I would have locked you in the basement."
There was a knock at the door.
"Elise I left my bag. I'm coming in," Grace said from the other side as the door began to open.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm thinking of making this the cliffhanger, but I'm on my usual hype. Gonna watch an episode of The Boondocks as I decide what to do next.