Status: Completed.

The Forbidden Fruit

Perfectly flawed

It was a week after the ball. I was glad it was finally over, though many of the guests were still residing at the Manor. The maids were working ever so hard. They looked ghastly too. Demelza was making everyone work and usually I would be excluded since I was Darius' personal maid. However, Darius had left for Buckinghamshire because Albert's school had called for him. He did not tell me much of it, but he did tell me not to worry.
I wanted to obey him and not worry, but I could not help myself. I wondered what could be wrong. Unfortunately, I did not have time to ponder upon the event due to Demelza's tyranny. She made us clean the Manor over and over again until it was immaculate. The guests were far worse than slave-drivers. They continuously ordered the maids, demanding certain things to be done at a particular time despite it being physically impossible.
"Elise," Grace said as she ran into the Manor with a basket full of clothes, "go to the kitchen and tell Alejandro you shall be taking my place for the day."
I was shocked to see Grace working. Alejandro had been completely against it. The only time she came to the Manor was only to talk to the maids she had become acquainted with, but it was never to work. She did do a few chores, but that was only because Demelza would force her into doing them.
"What are you doing here?" I asked her which she replied with a long sigh.
"My grandmother," she said, lifting up the basket a little higher, "and I shan't be paid for-"
"GRACE!" Demelza bellowed.
"Urgh!" she grunted, "COMING! I have to go now Elise. Go to the kitchen now."
I did as she told me. I found Alejandro in the kitchen, ordering the kitchen stuff around. I could see what Grace saw in him. He was handsome and had a lot of authority. Also, what woman could possibly resist a man who can cook. I told Alejandro what Grace told me and he gave me a tray.
"This is for Lord Haizen," he said, "leave the door open when you enter his room. He has already claimed five of the maids as his mistresses. You do not want to suffer the same fate as they did."
I nodded my head and walked to his room. It was quite easy to do so, since all the bedroom doors were labelled and also the male and female nobles were separated. Cautiously I knocked at his door awaiting his reply. When I recieved no answer I decided to enter only to find him walking out the bathroom.
"Sorry," I said as I curtsied, "I did not mean to intrude."
He smiled at me and told me not to be ridiculous. His voice charming, his eyes hypnotizing. I watched as he shook his wet hair in a rather seductive manner as he covered the distance that was between us.
He was now standing before me, towering over me like a skyscraper. I felt my cheeks brighten as he lifted my head to face him.
"You're truly ugly," he said as he let go of it and went to close the door.
My eyes widened at his comment but I decided to let it go.
"...but beggers certainly cannot be choosers," he said as I felt him grope my buttock.
"I am a betrothed woman," I informed him as I went to place his tray on the table, "and I am in love with the man."
A flash of uncertainty crossed my face as I thought of the words I had just said: betrothed, in love. Was I really? Did I really truly love George? If yes, then why did I do what I did with Darius without feeling any regrets?
I walked to the door, but Lord Haizen was standing there. Why did he have to be good looking?
"Stay a while," he said as he looked at me. There was no longer the same welcoming smile on his face. Though he had spoken softly, I could tell that it was a demand. I wondered what to do.
"I am sorry sir," I responded, trying so hard to gain his permission to leave, "there are many chores that need to be taken care of. We are rather short on maids at the moment. Proper etiquette also does not permit that I, a mere peasant, spend time with a nobleman of a high caliber like yourself."
With that, I curtsied and walked past him, but that is when I felt his hand on my waist.
"Elise Crofton," he said softly, it almost sounded like a whisper, "whose to find out?"
He knew my name!
"I have had my eye on you since Mr. Rutherford stood up for you against Lady Portia," he smirked, "do you know why he hit the Count? It was not because he had been provoked. It was because the Count had mentioned that he was going to drag you into their petty fight. You see, Elise, it has been weighing on my mind. You are rather plain and lacking in beauty. Nothing about your face seems to strike at me, which makes me wonder, what makes you so special? How is it that, with your frail body and ugly face, you are able to soften the rock hard heart of Mr. Rutherford?"
I did not know how to react to his rather rude speech. It was rather audacious of him to make such a remark.
He had emphasised on my lack of beauty so many times it had lowered my already low self-esteem. My lips were smashed shut as I thought of what to say next, but he beat me to it.
"Care to entice me Miss Crofton?" he asked, though like before, I knew he was telling me to.
"No sir, that will not be necessary," I said, quickly planning my exit, it was getting too dangerous.
"I have come to collect the young lady," I heard Alejandro say from behind, "I began to grow weary when I noticed she had not returned. She is a betrothed woman as well Lord Haizen -though you seem to like them betrothed do you not? Sir?"
I watched as Lord Haizen narrow his eyes as Alejandro glared at him. I wondered what was going on between them, but I did not dare ask. The tension was too much and asking questions might have added to the nerve-wracking atmosphere.
"Let us be gone Elise," Alejandro said as he let me walk ahead of him. It was clear the two of them had history. I was going to ask Grace about it instead. Alejandro was quiet and though he was trying to keep a calm demeanour, I could tell that his blood was boiling. That was the least of my worries though. I could tell that this was not going to be my last meeting with Lord Haizen. He had the same look in his eyes as Darius had when he was promising me that he would make me his.
♠ ♠ ♠
So much drama going on. I keep thinking, it's time to end the story, but then a great idea comes. I will try not to drag it on too long though. I have also added Lord Haizen to the characters section.