Status: Completed.

The Forbidden Fruit

Past repeating itself

Many of the guests had begun to leave due to their professions. Those who had travelled as far as Ireland, Wales and Scotland were now on their carriages. Most of the nobles from Northern England as well were preparing their depature. Lord Haizen was among the people leaving. He had three other carriages bought for the new mistresses he had acquired.
It certainly had grown quiet and Demelza was much more laid back than before. Grace still had not decided on whether or not she wanted to go away. I could tell she wanted to escape the Manor though. She had no happy memories except meeting Alejandro. She had also informed me that she could not truly be free if she had Demelza watching over her. It could be a new start for them.
As I was watering the garden due to the lack of gardners, I saw a carriage. When I looked closely I saw Albert resting his head on Darius, who was paternally caressing it. He was also talking to George, but I could not guess what the two of them could possibly have to talk about. I ran to the carriage to see my brother, calling out his name as I did so. When I got to the carriage I saw Darius carrying Albert in his arms like a child.
"What is going on?" I demanded to know as I tried to get near him, but by now George was holding me back.
"Elise," he said, "you need to calm down."
"Calm down," I muttered under my breath before letting out a frustrated laugh, "his my brother for pete's sake! You can not continue to leave me in the dark. Albert! ALBERT!"
He turned to look at me, a faint smile on his pale face.
"Elise," he whispered, his voice hoarse and weak. He began to cough violently and Darius held him even closer to his breast.
"I shall take him into the guest room immediately so that he may be quarantined as soon as possible," Darius said.
"Quara-" I said and stopped mid-sentence. Tears now pouring down my eyes. It did not take me long to realize what was going on. He had hardly been at home, so I had not known that his cough had not yet gone. George embraced me as I cried on him. Darius gave George a slight nod before walking off with my brother. I grabbed onto George as I snivelled, my tears penetrating through his beautiful coat. He kissed my forehead and pat my back, telling me everything was going to be fine.
"G-g-g-george," I stuttered through the tears, "h-h-he can't die. I can't l-l-l-lose Albert too. His my only brother George. Albert...is my only brother. I can't l-lose him."
"You won't," George assured me, "The master sent letters to all the best doctors in the United Kingdom Elise. Albert is going to be just fine. I promise."
"Y-you promise," I said as I looked up at him. There was certainty in his eyes. They gave me hope. They wanted me to believe in what he was saying too.
"I promise," he said as he kissed my forehead again, "let me escort you to your chambers Elise. You need to rest. You will go see Albert when all problems have been taken care of."
"What of Gwendolyn?" I asked.
"The master is yet to decide what course of action is best. We do not wish to alarm her, especially since the matter is quite trivial. Gwendolyn has her examination soon and making her worry will affect her performance," George said as he left me at the door, "I will come check on you in the evening. Maybe we couold dine together. There are matters I wish to discuss with you."
"Matters?" I asked. What had bought this up?
"About our future of course," George smiled, "I was talking to Darius about it earlier."
"What was Darius up to exactly?" thought I as I entered the room. All I knew was that George was still unaware of the fact that I was Darius' mistress. That made me happy. It made me truly happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay people...we're back on track now once again. Thanks again for all of the support :) It is because of you guys that I continue writing. There is going to be a chapter on George's POV soon. Very soon.