Never Stop Believing

American Dream

“Do you have everything ready, Violet?”

“Yeah, mom. I have all my clothes, my phone, my MP3, my laptop, a photo of us and the letters. I’m ready!”

“Oh, my dear… I’ll miss you so much!”

“I’ll miss you, too. Phil… Good luck with Stephanie!”

“Thanks sis. Good luck in LA! My God, you’re so fuckin’ lucky!”

“Promise you’ll call me!”

“I will, Barbara. I promise. Oh Gosh, I’ll miss you, guys!” – I hugged all my family. It was so painful see my mum and my little sister crying and my brother fighting against himself to not crying. I’ll miss them. I’ll miss my house. I’ll miss my neighborhood. I’ll miss wake up every single morning and look at Jimmy’s house through my window and imagine him there, looking at me with that naughty and sexy smile and with that gorgeous crystal blue eyes. I’ll miss hear my little sister asking me lots of things about Jimmy and the letters. I’ll miss hear my mom yelling with my brother to wake up because the lunch was ready. I’ll miss my heartbreaker Phil. I’ll miss all this but I need to leave. I need to give another step in my life. Jimmy was a beautiful part of my life that has no sense in my life anymore. Yes, it’s true. I gave up. I still love him. I still thinking about him every seconds of my days and spend my nights dreaming about him. But I can’t still living wonder what had happened with him. He gave up of me… so, I have to carry on.

The taxi was already waiting for me and thirty minutes later, I was in the London City Airport. It was 6am and my flight would be at 8:14am. 10 hours in a plane, so I would arrive to LA at 18:20pm, less 8 hours of time zone, I’d arrive there at the 10am, local time.
I did the check-in, in one hour and half later I was coming in the plane. There were many people of upper class, old people and six or seven people of my age. I put my shoulder bag above the airplane seats and sat in my place. Some minutes later, a young guy sat on the seat next to mine. He looked at me and smile. He had some tattoos on his arms and a rocker style. Something made me believe he was some kind of manager or something of a band. I was looking at the window till the moment he broke the silence.

“I’m sorry but… I think I know you.”

“I don’t think I know you.”

“Really! I’m talking serious. Have you been some day in California or LA?”

“No. it’s the first time I come to US. I passed my entire life travelling but I’d never be there.”

“It’s weird. I swear for God your face is familiar to me. Anyway, I’m Jason. Jason Berry.”

“I’m Violet. Nice to meet you… for the first time.” - I said, smiling. When I said my name, Jason made a very confuse look, frowning his forehead as if my name was also be familiar to him, but he didn’t say a word about that.

“So, it’s your first time that you go to US…”

“Yeah, I gotta study there… I mean, I gotta do an investigation in the University of California – Los Angeles. It’s about Arts and music. Something simple.”

“Really? Friends of mine have a band. I’m the roudie of the band.”

“Wow, and what’s the name of the band?”

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard American Airlines flight 149 with non-stop service to Los Angeles. Please turn your attention to the flight attendant nearest you for our safety demonstration. Please follow along with the safety card located in the seat pocket in front of you…” – We were interrupted for the host. I looked at him waiting for his answer but he was paying attention to the instructions. I leaned my head on the window and I was so tired than I began to feel my eyes closing themselves bit a bit. I just remember to wake up five hours later with a huge headache. I brought my hands up to my head and ask a glass with water to the host and she gave me also a magazine. I looked to Jason and his body was falling over me and I have to confess that see him with his mouth open sleeping like a baby gave me a big desire to laugh but I could control myself I started to read the magazine. Two hours later, he woke up startled.

“Where am I?”

“On the plane…” – I answered him with a worry tone. He looked at me again with the same confuse look but this time with a look of who didn’t know what he was doing there. Once he didn’t say anything, I turned to my mp3 and changed to music and ‘Nothing else matter’ by Metallica started. Every time I hear this song I remember Jimmy. Wherever I am, whenever I hear it, the feeling is always the same. It seems torture in my heart. It seems someone is hitting me harder and the desire of wanting to die is so big that I just ask to kill me soon. Tears began to run over my face and I saw Jason looking at me.

“Do you need something? Water…”

“No, thanks.”

“Can I help you somehow?”

“Nobody can help me…”

“Why are you saying this?”

“I’m sorry, Jason but… I don’t wanna talk about this, okay?”

“Okay…but you’re more beautiful smiling!” – My eyes turned to look at him. Why everything around me make me think about Jimmy? Why? A word, a song, a place… I don’t understand. If he’s out of my life, why doesn't he disappear for good? Why doesn't he disappears once and for all of my head and my heart? I’m really sick of this. Jason felt my pain and all he did was looking at his laptop and he kept working in his stuff.

One hour later, the plane was landing. Everybody stood up and I was trying to take my bag but Jason helped me with it. We left the plane and walk to the place where the others bags were. Jason took his one and waited for me to take mine. We went to the gate of the entry waiting for a ride. I was becoming a little scare because for the first time in my life I was on my own.

“Do you need a ride? My boys and my girlfriend should be coming so… we can drive towards the University and let you there.”

“No, thanks. I’ll take a taxi.”

“Well, are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure. Thanks a lot for everything. See you around.”

“See ya, Violet. If I find out where I know you, I’ll look for you everywhere!”

“Is this a promise?”

“Believe me. Good luck in LA.” - I smiled at him and got one of the taxis that were parked at the entrance to the airport.

“Broad Art Center, please.”

*** Jason’s POV ***

I leaned myself on the wall of the building seeing Violet went away. I don’t know why but that girl says something to me. What? I don't know. I just know one thing: I know that girl. I have no idea if I was with her sometime or if I saw her during my trips… I don’t know. Those questions were torturing my mind that made me turn off of everything around me.

“Hey, ass face! Wake up!” – I woke up to the real world when my friend Jimmy gave me a slap on my face.

“Fuck, dude. Let’s go!” – I said putting an arm around Jimmy and hitting on his chest. We entered to the car where were my brother Matt, Brian, Zacky and Dan.
I greeted the guys but I couldn’t stop to thinking about that girl. I really know her. I’m sure of that. The guys asked me how was my little trip in London and when Jimmy took his phone of his pocket and I saw the picture he had on the screen and did light on my head.

“I knew it! It’s her!”

“What are you talking about?”

“I was with her, Jimmy. I was with Violet!”

“WHAT??? STOP MAKING FUN OF ME, JASON! I’M SICK OF THAT. ALL OF YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IMPORTANT SHE IS FOR ME.”

“Sullivan, I’m not kidding this time. She was in the seat next to me on the plane. I looked at her and I saw her face was familiar to me.”

“Tell me about her. Maybe you did some kind of confusion…”

“Jimmy, I’m sure she is your Violet. She’s a little different but I’m sure that girl is your girl. She was living in London. And from what she told me she spent her life traveling but now she came to study here or do any investigation related to music and arts. I think she is a little weird. She started to cry hearing a music by Metallica… what was it? Oh, ‘Nothing else matters’.” – I looked at Jimmy and for my surprise, and for the first time in my life I saw his sad blue eyes full of tears. Everybody knew how much Violet was important to him. We don’t know details. He never told us anything about her. But she is a part of him. About this, we’re sure. Jimmy looked away through the window and then he looked at the screen of his phone where a picture of him with Violet was. Suddenly, he jumped, grabbing the seat of my brother who was driving.

“Come back to the airport!”

“What? Jimmy, I can’t do reversing of motion right now!”

“COME BACK TO THE FUCKIN’ AIRPORT!”