Status: In Hiatus (too much stuff going on... haven't been able to concentrate on anything)

Taken From Me

Dinner for Jarome

It seemed like time had flown. Just a week before the trade deadline, there was a commotion about Jarome Iginla. Sources said that he was going to Boston and then all of a sudden, he was in Pittsburgh and of course, Catherine volunteered our services to set up a welcome to Pittsburgh dinner for him and a few of the Penguins.

I looked at the spaghetti sauce and back at her. "I think it could use a bit more sausage," I said.

She looked in and nodded. "I think you may be right," she replied, tossing in more ground sausage.

I stirred the sauce and said, "If it was my choice we would have chicken."

She laughed at me and said, "Of course you would have chicken."

I smiled and said, "The first meal I cooked for Sidney was chicken."


***************

I bit my lip as I watched Sidney cut a piece of the chicken breast. I was very nervous because it was my first time cooking for him ever and I was scared about getting him sick. I was a good cook but I was kicking myself for cooking a hard meal the first time I cooked for him.

He swallowed and said, "This is really good!"

I let out the breath I had been holding and asked, "It's not too pink?"

He looked and shook his head. "It's really tender," he replied and took another bite.

Soon tears begun to go down my face. "What's wrong?" he asked, getting up and putting his arms around me.

"I..." I started and took a deep breath. "I am so worried that you are going to get sick. It's my first time cooking chicken for anybody else but myself. I don't want to get you sick. I mean you are Sidney Crosby. I don't want a whole world of fans come down on me for making you sick."

He tightened his grip and let me continue. "I would never forgive myself if I got you sick," I said, wiping tears out of my eyes. "Hell, I think I would just crawl under a rock and die."

"Calm down, will you?" he asked after I was silent for a moment. "I won't let them get to you. I love you too much."


**************

I was ripped out of my thoughts when I heard the splash of the spaghetti hitting the water. "Did I tell you that I cried my first time cooking for him?" I asked her.

"You didn't!" she exclaimed, laughing.

I nodded my head and replied, "Oh yes I did!"

She laughed as she put more spaghetti in another pot. "Only you," she said.

"I was scared that I was gonna get him sick!" I explained. "I was hysterical. Just ask him."

I got a knife out and a cutting board, setting them down to get the garlic. "Maybe I will! Hey Sid..." she shouted and I covered her mouth.

She mumbled her way through as Kris and Sidney walked into the room.


**************

"Did you really cry?" Leslie asked me.

I nodded as I put the shampoo on the proper shelf. "I cried!" I said. "I feel like such a dope!"

She laughed and said, "Honey, it's understandable. He's your new boyfriend, he's been having concussion issues and he's famous. Hell, I would have been carted off to the padded room if I was in your shoes."

I shook my head and laughed. I loved Leslie. She was a person who said whatever was on her mind. She was the only one of my co-workers that knew about Sidney and she was good about keeping it quiet.

"I am afraid he was one step away from throwing me into said cell and throwing the key away!' I said.

She shook her head as she was re-stocking the body wash. "Honey, I seen the way he looks at you," she said. "He would jump in said cell with you!"

"You think?" I asked her, looking her in the eye."

She looked me back in the eye and said, "I know."


**************

Kris looked at Sidney and asked, "Do we want to know?"

Sidney looked at us and said, "I'm not sure."

I pulled my hand away from her mouth and Catherine asked, "Was that necessary?"

The guys left the kitchen and I said, "Yes it was! I don't want Kris to hear it cause he would blab it all over the locker room and then I would never hear the end of it!"

She laughed and said, "Okay, you have a point there."

I started to crush the garlic so I could make a garlic rub for the Italian bread. "Do you remember the first time I made supper for Evgeni, Sidney, Kris and Jordan?" I asked.

She nodded and said, "Yes! Every pasta and sauce imaginable!"


**************

I looked at the bowls of sauce on the table. I had Alfredo, spaghetti, pesto, garlic butter and many more sauces. On top of that I had spaghetti, penne, bow tie, fettuccine and other types of pasta. I didn't know what the guys liked so I decided to make a lot.

When the guys came in, they all said in unison, "DAMN!"

"I wasn't sure what you like," I said. "So I made whatever I could think of."

Jordan took his seat and said, "Damn! I think we could call some of the other guys over."

Sidney laughed and said, "No kidding!"

I just shrugged and Catherine came sauntering in. "DAMN!" she said, taking her seat next to me.

I shook my head and said, "When you don't know what guys like, you just make it all."

I was dishing penne in my bowl with a heaving helping of Alfredo sauce when she said, "True that!"


**************

Jarome sat down next to Kris and I took my place next to Sidney. "It looks good girls," Kris said and then leaned over to Jarome. "You should have seen the first time Anna cooked for a few of us."

Jarome looked at me and then back at Kris. "Was it good or bad?" he asked carefully as if he was afraid to offend me.

"It was all good!" Evgeni said. "Just plenty of food."

"Picture the pasta and sauce aisle in a grocery store only on the table," Kris said. "Only it was all homemade."

He smiled as he took some spaghetti. "I bet it was a sight to see," Jarome said.

"Oh it was," Catherine replied. "I was here for damage control this time."

Jarome took a bite and Sidney squeezed my hand. "Don't cry," he whispered.

I shot Sidney a look and Jarome said, "Wow, you girls outdone yourself this time. Too bad Kara wasn't here. She would love this!"

I took a deep breath and said, "Thank you!"

"Were you really that worried?" he asked me as Sidney looked at me.

"Wait!" He said. "Did you tell Catherine about the chicken?"

"Shut up Sidney," I said, looking down at my plate as Catherine lost it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoy this chapter. I don't know when I will be able to update again but I will try my hardest. I have been intently working on I Am Your Safe Haven so I haven't given this story much thought but I will try to work on it. Just hang in there!