Sequel: Achluophobia
Status: Done

Pocrescophobia

A picture of better days

The hours we spend in the car are actually not as bad as I thought they would be. Well, Lauren is actually probably the one making things less awkward by being the mediator for everything. And I hate to say it, but Cyan’s not too horribly unbearable. Ugh, I know, this is monumental. Whatever. As long as he doesn’t hurt my best friend, I don’t really mind him. Even if he is an egotistical ass a majority of the time. Well, he’s not bothering me that much today. I think it’s because we’re both too happy because we get to see Arden. Words can’t even describe how excited I am to see my best friend after a month of us being apart. Or maybe they can, but I just haven’t found them yet.

So mostly the time is spent just being stupid and playing stupid car games, but I have to admit that it is a good time passer. Plus, it’s fun to just let go and be stupid every once in a while. And I persuaded Cyan to drive while Lauren and I hang out in the backseat. I don’t really think he minds anyway. The atmosphere mellows down after about an hour and soon, Lauren and I are cuddled together, lulled to sleep by the slow music and each other’s heartbeats. We’re already asleep by the time that Cyan stops at a gas station to fill up, sees us, takes a picture, and sends it to Arden. Honestly, I don’t think I would’ve cared.

When I finally wake up, it’s by Cyan shaking my shoulder and murmuring low words to me that I can’t decipher through the haze of a mind heavy with sleep. A few bleary seconds, I finally realize that the car is stopped in the parking lot of a nearby building that must be where Arden is. Next, I realize that I had been previously using Lauren as a pillow, or more specifically, her chest. My face burns a dark red even after I realize that she hasn’t woken up and realized yet, and I scramble to get out of the car before she can wake up and see that we were cuddling in the backseat. With a few shakes from yours truly, the slumbering girl wakes as well.

Arden’s parents walk up to us after a minute to reunite and we walk into the white building as a group. My heart hammers as we check in and start to head up to Arden’s room. I’m so excited to see him again. It’s been too long without my best friend. Soon enough, we arrive in front of a door in the middle of a hallway and the woman leading us knocks on the door before leaving. Okay, here we go. I hear footsteps in the room coming towards the door. My hand clutches Lauren’s nervously and she gives it a small squeeze. As my face heats up slightly, the door opens to reveal a tired Arden rubbing his eyes like a child. Lauren coos slightly at the adorable sight.

Cyan, who’s the one closest to the door, suddenly leaps forward, wrapping Arden in his arms, to which Arden hugs him back and giggles. Despite how I feel about Cyan, the two are pretty cute together. The little shits. Once Cyan finally lets go, we all make our way into Arden’s medium sized room. Just by the messiness of his side and the posters on the walls, I can tell that he’s pretty settled in. We spread out around the room, and Cyan and I sit on either side of Arden while Lauren sits in front of me on the floor and Arden’s parents sit on a small couch near the bed.

Suddenly, Lauren looks up to us and smiles, holding out her head. “Oh, sorry, I never introduced myself, I’m Lauren.” Arden takes it with a small smile. “Yeah, I figured. It’s nice to meet you. Shae’s told me all about—“ he starts until I cut him off by elbowing him in the ribs slightly, but Lauren still looks at me and giggles. Arden, you little bitch. As I look glare at the grinning boy, he nudges Cyan with his elbow and just continues grinning cheekily at me like the devious little butt he is. But hey, it’s the happiest I’ve seen him look in a while. And he seems to be doing better. Like, his face doesn’t look quite as hollow as before. But there’s still that sadness in his eyes and I know that he still has a long way to go before he can be okay.

=Temporary Cyan=
We spend a few hours catching up and talking before again, Arden’s parents leave to get some rest and stuff, although it’s only about 2 in the afternoon. I think that they’re just giving us some time to hang out. Lauren and Shae are whispering to each other for the time being, looking like they’re in their own world. And then I feel a small hand on my arm pulling me away from the room as Arden leads me out. The two barely even notice. My boyfriend closes the door and stares up at me with his big brown eyes.

“Cyan, we have to get them together,” he states in a completely serious voice, motioning to the closed door. Without a second thought, I nod. I mean, it’s obvious that they need to be together and I’m pretty sure that Shae likes Lauren as much as Lauren likes Shae. “Yeah, I know, but what should we do? I mean, Shae likes Lauren, right?” I ask. Arden nods in respond. “Okay, just making sure. I know that Lauren likes Shae but it’d make things a hell of a lot more difficult to give him time to start liking her. So, how do we do it? Just lock them in a room and shove their faces together?” Arden just laughs, patting me on the cheek as one would do to a child.

“Oh, no, no, you silly boy. No, it’s much more than that, my dear Cyan. You see, it’s gotten this far and you can’t trust them to tell each other shit about their feelings, and it’s just crazy to shove them together, so, we have to do more. I just don’t know what that is yet. Maybe we could like… I don’t know. I just want them together! I mean, come on, he likes her, she likes him, it shouldn’t be this difficult. They deserve each other so bad,” he pouts. I chuckle, rubbing his cheek. “I know, baby, but don’t worry, they’ll get together soon enough. Just give it time, okay?” He nods into my cheek.

“Come on, let’s give them a little time alone and go get some coffee or something,” I suggest, taking Arden’s soft, warm hand in mine. He nods, leaning slightly into my side. We depart with smiles on our faces and devious plots in our heads.

=Back to Shae=
My eyes widen as I lean against the door, listening to the conversation outside as my cheeks warm up. Lauren likes me back? A grin is painted on my face by the time she comes back from the bathroom. Well, might as well take the opportunity in front of me.

“What are you grinning about?” Lauren asks me. Without a thought, I stride up to her and take her face in my hands, still grinning. Her big blue eyes widen cutely.

“Shae? Wh-what are you doing?” she asks nervously, her cheeks darkening. But she doesn’t push me away. That and the conversation gives me the courage to finally lean forward and claim the soft lips I’ve been thinking about for the past 2 weeks. And it feels as glorious as I thought it would. Once she gets past the initial shock, she starts to slowly, but happily, kiss back. It’s a few moments before we finally pull away.

“I like you,” I admit finally after weeks. She giggles, leaning forward slightly. “I like you, too,” she replies, filling my chest with a warm, fuzzy feeling. We sit on the bed next to each other, just chilling, and we finally start talking.

“So, what made you finally tell me?” she asks. “I heard them talking outside about how they want to force us to admit it to each other and I found out that you liked me back so I decided to do it.”

She smiles at me, leaning her head on my shoulder. “I kinda wanna find out what they were gonna do though,” she says suggestively. I already know what she’s talking about. “Hmm, me, too. Maybe we should just… pretend a little longer and… omit telling them. Y’know, just to see what they’d do,” I reply, grinning mischievously. As footsteps are heard outside, we separate slightly and make it look like nothing happened at all since they left. Everything carries on as usual, but as Arden and Cyan turn to say something to each other, I send a wink to the girl that is finally mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
title cred: Pints Of Guinness Make You Strong - Against Me!

yeah i said i'd update earlier but i lied oops sorry had creative writing and national merit prep course

tumblr
-Sarah