Status: 10/14/2020 - Currently being revised and a sequel is in the future! Chapters 1-3 are almost completely revised. c:

It's Not All What It Seems...

My Worst Re-Occurring Nightmare

**Time Elapse: Five Months**

The hospital was thriving with new puzzles for me to tackle. Bert has finally completed two more floors, with my help, so Joseph could finally let in more patients. Everything was running so smoothly. However, I wish I could say the same for Bert and Joseph. Bert occupied himself with the wings of the hospital so he could stay as far away from Joseph as he could, although he hated being away from the rush of the clinic. Being alone changed him, and not for the better. I sat in my office and sighed. I wish my office was near him or, if I could break something in here to get Bert in here. I shook my head at my absurd thoughts and went through my patient files. I had a lot of patients. Some of them requested me because they love talking to me. I feel the same. I don’t see my patient as.. well.. a mentally ill person. They’re a friend. They’re on the same level as me. I smiled as I looked through their names. I looked forward to our conversations. Some actually give me advice; on cooking, and well.. relationships. I’m happy to say they haven’t proved me wrong. My patients are my best friends. As I came across my last file, the smile abandoned my face. Way, Gerard. The patient I used to be so eager to see was now my worst nightmare. My worst re-occurring nightmare. I reluctantly got up and took my ID card. I walked out of my office and across the hall to the elevator. I just wanted to get him out of the way.

“Hello, Doctor!” an eager voice said from the hallway.
I turned and smiled. “Hello, Frankie.”
“How are ya?” He said as he ran over.
“I’m great.” I said as I smiled again. “Getting some exercise?”
“Yeah.. I need to leave that room every once in a while.” He said as he chuckled. “Would you like to join me for a walk?”
“Actually, I have to meet a patient. I’ll walk with you tonight. I’ll take you out.”
“Promise?”
“I promise, Frank.” I said as I smiled. I turned back and saw the elevator had arrived. “Bye for now.” I said as I opened the grate and went in.
“Bye, Doc” Frank said as he smiled and walked off.

I got in and pressed the basement button and watched the elevator pass every floor. Frank was one of my best patients in the hospital. He’s an outpatient; he’ll be getting out very soon for his good behavior. He was really a doll. We would walk in the courtyard every morning and talk. He hated his room. He’s in for attempted suicide; his mind is a really dark place. I gave him my number so if after he got out, if he felt like he was on the edge, to call me. He is really a lovely person who needs to realize that he means so much to this world. I sighed and got out of the elevator to the dim lit basement that I knew all too well yet, something was different this time. I heard yelling. I walked slowly down the corridor to the sight of Quinn and Joseph arguing. I hid behind the corner so they wouldn’t notice me.

“You can’t fire me! My wife’s about to have our baby! How am I gonna support my baby girl?!” Quinn yelled at the verge of tears
“I don’t care. You keep your personal and work life separate. This ain’t a charity. I want your shit cleared out by the end of the day, you hear me?”
“Please, let me work until I find a new job!” he begged as he sobbed.
“I already hired a new guy. Your shit is out of here by 10 or I’m throwing it out.” Joseph sneered as he grabbed Quinn’s shirt and held him against the wall. Quinn nodded in defeat and hung his head in shame. Joseph let go of his shirt and hurriedly strode passed me. I walked over to Quinn and fixed his shirt.
“Don’t listen to him.” I said as I looked at him.
“…You heard?”
“Everything.”
He sighed and fixed his tie. “What am I gonna tell my wife?” He said as a tear rolled down his cheek.
“I’ll get you a job. Don’t worry.” I said as I smiled. “What’s a number I can reach you on?”
Quinn raised an eyebrow suspiciously and sighed again. “My home phone number, you have it already.”
“You’ll be hearing from me within the next few days.” I said as I smiled. “I have connections.”

Quinn tried his hardest to smile but all he could do was grimace. He turned back to his small desk and started packing his things. I frowned slightly and swiped my ID card through the scanner until the door unlocked. I opened the door and looked around the room until I saw Gerard lying on his back with his hands behind his head.

“Heard what happened to Quinn?” Gerard said as he stayed still.
“Yes, I did.” I said as I shut the door and sat down. “I’m gonna miss him.”
“Me too. It’s kinda lonely down here. He’s the only one who doesn’t treat me like some kinda zoo animal, ya know?”
I nodded in agreement. “I know…” I sighed then smiled. “How are you, Gerard?”
“I’m okay.”
“Great.” I said as I took off my sweater and put it behind me. Gerard sat up and looked at me.
“Can I ask you a question?”
“Sure.”
“Are you dating the carpenter?”
“…The carpenter? Bert?”
“Yeah.”
“….Uh… Yeah.” I nodded and smiled. “I am.”
“That’s cool.” Gerard said as he nodded also. “I love how I tell you my feelings then you just go.. date some fuckin’ guy.”
“Gerard.”
“You just won’t date me ‘cause I’m crazy, right?” Gerard said as he crossed his arms.
“That’s not the reason.”
“Give me a reason, Lindsey.”
“He was just enchanting, I guess.” I said as I shrugged. “He comforted me when I needed it..”
“I can comfort!” Gerard said as he stood. “God dammit, I can do so many things if you gave me a chance!”
“Gerard… Calm down.” I said as I stood and put my hands on his. “Please.” Gerard looked down at my hands then at me. “If you love me, you’d calm down.” Gerard looked at me blankly then sat on his bed. I sat back in the chair. Finally seeing him fully in the only light in the room, I saw that he was being badly managed, yet again. His hair was grown out, he had a beard… No wonder this man was going off the deep end.

“Gerard, do you want to shave?”
He looked up and raised an eyebrow. “…Shave?”
“Yes.”
“Well… Yes, I’d like to.
“Come with me.” I said as I opened the door and stepped aside for him to come. Gerard stood, baffled at my current action. “You can come out, it’s okay.” I said as I laughed. He slowly walked out and looked around. It was like guiding a puppy, it was actually kind of cute.
“This is… allowed?”
“Yes.” I said as I held his hand. I turned to Quinn and saw the terrified look on his face. I smiled reassuringly and took Gerard to a patient bathroom.
“I haven’t been… out of that room for months…”
“I know.” I said as I laughed. I handed him shaving cream and a razor. “Would you like me to leave?”
“N…No. Please stay.” Gerard said as he turned to me.
“Of course.” I said as I smiled. He smiled back and put shaving cream all over the bottom portion of his face. “Uh… Can you… Do this for me?” He asked as he blushed.
“Of course! Anything for you.” I exclaimed as I shaved his face gently. Gerard’s facial structure was just to die for. As it became more revealed from behind the shaving cream, I just wanted to kiss him.

“Lindsey, can I shower?”
“Yes.” I said as I finished and wiped his mouth.
“….Don’t leave.”
“I won’t “ I said as I shut the door and stayed by it. I turned as he got undressed, even though he kept telling me to look. This man is crazy. Can you blame him?
“So, how long have you been dating Bert?” Gerard asked as he got in the shower.
“Couple of months..”
“Oh.. So you guys must sleep together a lot.”
“Gerard, that’s personal.” I said as I blushed.
“So?”
I sighed and folded my arms across my chest. “Gerard, what Bert and I do is none of your business,”
“But… I like you.”
“That’s sweet, Gerard.”
“So, you guys do it a lot?”
“Gerard!”
“I can’t help it!”
I sighed. “Yes, we do it a lot.”
“Ew. He’s all hairy. I bet he sucks in bed.”
“He is actually very good.” I said as I smirked.

“UGH.”
I laughed and got a towel for Gerard.
“I bet I’m better. And our kids would come out better.”
“Gerard, leave it alone.”
“Whatever.” He said as he got out and dried himself. I got his clothes together and cleaned the bathroom. “Thanks, Lindsey.”
“You’re welcome, Gerard.”
“Call me, Gee.”
“Oh my God..” I said as I giggled. “Gee.”

“Heheh” He said as he got dressed and walked out with me. I took him back to his room and he immediately went to lie down.
“Tired?” I said as I smiled.
“Yeah.” He said as he yawned.
I tucked him into bed and kissed his head. “Goodnight, Gee.”
“Goodnight Lindsey” He said as he smiled. “Can I have a hug?”
“Of course you can.” I said as I smiled and hugged him. He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me for a long time until he lifted his head so his lips were adjacent to my ear.
“You better tell Bert to watch his back.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comment please c: