Sequel: Playing for Keeps
Status: Updating

Almost Perfect

Chapter 21

The next morning Stacy got up and got Evelyn ready so she could take her to Adam’s before work. She dressed her in a cute little purple sweat suit with a white onsie that had colorful hearts all over it. She looked adorable. Stacy got herself ready, putting on her normal navy blue scrubs but she put a little more time and effort into her hair and makeup, realizing she hasn’t seen Adam in a while she wanted to make sure she looked her best. She missed him, she wanted things to go back to normal but she just couldn’t trust him yet.

She put together the diaper bag and then got Evelyn in her car seat and headed off in the direction of her and Adam’s home. Her heart raced as she pulled onto the long driveway and slowly approached the house. She felt like she could break down right there in the car because her emotions were so strong, she didn’t know how she would handle seeing him face to face.

Stacy got Evelyn out of the car seat and placed her on her hip as she grabbed the diaper bag and then headed up the walk to the front door. Adam was already waiting with the large oak front door open and standing against the frame.

He gave Stacy a weak smile before taking Evelyn from her when she offered the young girl up.

“Hey baby girl,” he cooed to her. Evelyn squealed in delight, happy to see his face. “I missed you so much.” Stacy watched as he kissed her forehead and held the baby close to him; the sight was almost too much for her. Adam was such a great father and it pained her to keep Evie from him like this.

“I should be back to pick her up around four,” Stacy told him softly, not wanting to ruin their moment.

Adam nodded, “I could make dinner if you wanted to stay for a while. Maybe we could talk…” He trailed off, hopeful.

Stacy wasn’t sure that was such a good idea, her heart was screaming yes but her head was telling her no, it’s too soon. “Um…maybe, I’ll see how I feel after work.”

Adam just nodded again, hurt written across his stubble covered face. He looked good, Stacy had to admit.

“I better go, I’m going to be late for work.” Stacy lingered in the doorway for a moment longer.

“We’ll see you at four,” Adam said, “Say bye mommy,” He helped Evelyn wave as Stacy turned and started walking back to her car.

She got in and sat there for a moment. Waves of emotions ran over her. Adam was not a bad guy, he loved his daughter and he loved Stacy, why would he cheat on her? Stacy’s mind was going a hundred miles a minute.

Stacy finally started the car and headed for work, her mind still going over the events of the last few weeks in her head. She hated him for putting her through this yet she loved him and didn’t like being apart from him. She wanted to rush back to their house and forgive him right then and there but she refrained. She couldn’t handle another disappointment if she found out the baby was his. Maybe she would stay for dinner and just hear him out, what’s the worst that could happen? Stacy didn’t know what she wanted to do…she just knew that she couldn’t keep their family broken apart much longer without making any type of solid decision.

Her mind quickly changed when she arrived at the hospital. As she approached the front doors a slew of media personnel came rushing up to her out of nowhere, throwing questions at her and snapping bright lights of cameras in her face.

“Stacy are you going to break up with Adam?”

“Are you going to take away his daughter?”

“Do you think the baby is Adam’s?”

“How could you possibly stay with a cheater?”

“What do you have to say about the paternity test?”

Stacy couldn’t walk fast enough to get away from them all. She was so flustered by the time she actually got to her floor that she had to sit in the locker room for a few minutes. She was so emotional after that, that she wasn’t sure she could make it through her shift. She felt violated and she felt that her life was no longer in her control, the media was controlling it and she couldn’t stop them.

Stacy had such a horrible day at work that she was in no mood to have dinner with Adam, in fact the thought of hearing his excuses and more about the fact that this baby could be his made her want to puke. The fact that the paparazzi had found her at work now and were making her life miserable in more ways than one sent her off the deep edge. She drove slowly to their home and when she arrived she knocked lightly before letting herself in.

Stacy could smell the aroma of food coming from the kitchen when she entered the house so she slipped off her shoes and walked the short distance to the kitchen.

On the table already was a gourmet meal fit for a king. She looked around at all of the dishes and fixings that Adam had created before looking over at him. He was feeding Evelyn at the counter and he glanced over his shoulder to see her standing there. He quickly straightened up at the sight of her and smiled.

“I…uh..I didn’t know what you’d be in the mood for so I just made some of your favorites.” He gave her another weak smile, giving a slight wave over to the table. “I was hoping to have Evie fed before you got here so we could sit down together but I’m almost-“

He was about to continue but Stacy cut him off, “Adam I’m in no mood.” She could tell that her statement made his spirits drop instantly. “The media showed up at my work today! They hounded me with questions as I tried to enter the hospital, I can’t live like this! I’m worried about my safety and my sanity! I don’t want our daughter growing up in a situation like this where her every move is reported and she can’t just be a normal kid. That is not fair to her!” Stacy was going off on a tangent but she had to let her feelings be known. She was starting to break down and she could tell she was close to crying. “It’s all just too much right now.”

Adam took in her words, thoughtfully collecting himself before responding, “I understand that what we are going through is extremely difficult right now but that’s why we need to be together. We need to remain a family through all of this.”

Stacy shook her head, tears starting to fall now. “I can’t, I just can’t do it right now. All I see when I look at you is her and you and those godforsaken pictures.”

“Stacy next week when I have that paternity test you will see, you will see that I am not that kind of a guy.” He looked at her closely, “Although I thought you already knew that.”

His last statement took her by surprise. “You do not get to do that Adam! You do not get to make me feel guilty for your screw up!”

“I didn’t screw up! It seems like I did but I fucking swear to you that I did not sleep with her!” He raised his voice, causing Evelyn to start crying.

“That’s great Adam! Yell and swear in front of our four month old!” Stacy moved to the counter and picked Evelyn up, bouncing her gently and talking softly to her to calm her down.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry for everything,” He shook his head, looking defeated. “Clearly everything I do lately is wrong.”

Stacy almost felt guilty for yelling at him when she saw how upset he was with himself. She watched as he sunk down in a chair at the kitchen table and dropped his head in his hands.

“Everything is so fucked up, I just…..I just want things to go back to normal.” His voice broke with emotion. He looked up at her with blood shot eyes and she could tell he was close to tears.

“Maybe eventually,” Stacy said softly. “But not today, it still hurts too much.”

With those words she turned around and headed for the door. She slipped her shoes back on and put a coat on Evelyn before picking up the diaper bag and reaching for the door knob.

“I can bring her by again on Monday next week if you want. That’s when I work next, but if you’re busy I-“ Stacy couldn’t even finish her sentence before Adam was agreeing to have Evelyn for the day.

“I’m not busy, I’d love to have her.” He stood up and walked towards them. “The paternity test is Tuesday, I hope….I was hoping that maybe you’d come. Just be there to support me?”

“I don’t know Adam….” She trailed off, looking out the door.

“Just think about it?” He asked softly.

She nodded before giving him the slightest of smiles, leaving their house and getting her and Evelyn in the car to head back to her parent’s house again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry for all the confusion with posting this as chapter 20! It makes more sense if you go back and read chapter 20 now and then read this one, I accidentally copied and pasted the wrong section of the story! Silly me, too many thoughts running through my head! Hope you can all forgive me! Leave me your feedback :)