Status: Editing little mistakes.

Bride to Be

Four

The next day, I got dressed in a blue, polka dot sundress. I fastened an orange belt around my waist and slipped on white, lace toms. After work, Steph and I were going out to eat and shop. I pinned back my bangs and straightened my hair.

I spritzed my signature perfume on my chest, and wrists. I was out the door by 8:30. At work, Steph was ringing up- what looked like -a new customers dress. There were a few customers roaming the store. I sighed inwardly. I love my job. I set my stuff in the break room and hurried back out to the main part of the store.

After work, I flipped off all the lights and shut the doors behind me. I yanked my key from out of my purse and locked the doors. It was six. Usually Steph and I close up at nine, but today was slow. We snuck off to our cars.

I drove to the restaurant in silence. I was excited Stephanie and I were spending more time together. When she first started her job, I thought she was going to be immature. Considering I was twenty-five, and she was only twenty-one. Stephanie was a very sophisticated person. Sure she liked to get wild and party, but she always had this cool demeanor to her.

I maneuvered the car into the first parking spot I saw. Stephanie parked right beside me. I cut the ignition and hopped out of the car. She slid out of hers as well. She grinned at me. “What?” I asked, chucking. Steph shook her head, “Nothing. It’s nothing. I promise.” “Are you trying to convince me or yourself?” I questioned, smirking.

She just held up her hand walked to the door. The restaurants name was: Las Bonitas. I stopped, mid-step. I took Spanish in high school, I know what that means. The... pretties? That’s awkward. “You coming?” Stephanie hollered back to me. I snapped out of my thoughts and scrambled into the restaurant.

Stephanie and I decided to share fajitas. As we were talking, someone caught my eye. Broad shoulders, red shirt, brown hair, biceps bulging.... I looked at Stephanie. She giggled, her eyes alight with pure happiness. “What are you up to?” I eyed her. She shrugged, “What are you talking about?” She laughed softly.

Suddenly, the man in the red shirt was walking towards us. My eyes widened and my heart dropped. As he got closer, my palms got sweatier. Ew. I quickly wiped them on my pants. “Hey Desiree.” That soft, velvet voice sang my name. I blushed. “Hi Mason.”

Mason grinned and sat in the available chair next to me. “How are you?” He asked, scooting closer to me. “Good.” I took a sip of my Dr. Pepper to calm my nerves. Mason put his elbow on the table and fisted his hand. He lay his head on his fist and his eyes were roaming all over my face.

“Good? That’s it?” One corner of his lips quirked up. Last time I saw him, I thought he was cute. Man was I wrong. He wasn’t cute, he was sexy. I shrugged, “I only saw you a few days ago. There’s not much that happened.” Mason scooted his chair closer. He was so close, his knee was touching mine.

Masons eyes were still searching my face. My gaze flickered over to Stephanie. She was cuddling up to Ivan, the boxer Mason beat up. “So how does boxing work exactly?” I blurted. Mason looked taken aback. “A girl wants to know about boxing? That’s sexy.” The same corner of his lips lifted.

I blushed. “I’ll tell you about it later.” He winked at me, sending me into a flustered state. Mason studied me for a moment and leaned forward. He whispered in my ear, “Why are you getting so flustered? I won’t bite.” I could hear him grin. “Unless you want me to.”

He slowly leaned back into his seat. I couldn’t fathom a response to that. That was kind of hot. I just look at him and simply took another drink of Dr. Pepper.

Our food arrived, steaming hot. The waitress set our plates down and gave Mason and Ivan a look. “Are you moving over here?” She asked in a stern voice. Mason pushed away from me. “Nope. We were just leaving.” He stood up and winked at me. They waved their goodbyes and then it was just me and Steph.

I pouted as I ate. “What’s wrong?” She asked. “Oh! I just didn’t want him to leave.” I replied. “Oh, don’t worry.” She said seductively. “Huh?” I asked. “You’ll see him again.” She grinned. “Tonight?” I interrogated. “Mmhmm.” Stephanie said.

“W-where?” I asked, excited. “We’re going to a club.” She clapped her hands excitedly. I brightened up. “Instead of going shopping?” I questioned, still smiling. Stephanie nodded her head. “I’ll have to change then.” I reminded her. She snapped her fingers. “Good idea. Let’s pay, then we can go change.” She grinned like a little kid. I haven’t seen her this happy, ever.