‹ Prequel: Settle Down
Status: In progress. Updating 1-2 times a week.

I'll Be Your Safety

Catch that?

I handed Ethan a bowl of dry cereal, smiling at his happy expression. No matter how poorly my day started, his tiny smile always managed to brighten it up.

I poured a bowl of cereal for myself and sat down at the small, two-person table across from Ethan. I loved these quiet mornings, where the only noise to be heard was the radio and Ethan’s quiet babble. Slowly, I ate my cereal, occasionally helping Ethan eat. I read in my parenting book that you should start introducing cutlery at this age, and help them learn how to use it themselves, but poor Ethan didn’t know one end from the other.

It had been three days since Niall last came over, which was very unusual for him, since he made it a habit of seeing Ethan every single day. I think he worried that if he didn’t see him for a while, Ethan would completely forget who he was. I knew this wasn’t true, but I didn’t tell him any different. It didn’t hurt having him around all the time.

I checked the clock over the sink, confirming that it was now eleven. I was grateful that none of my jobs started before twelve thirty, since we both loved our beauty rest. Once Ethan was done picking at his food I placed him on the floor, where he ran over to his favorite block set and plunked down in front of it. No matter how many different fancy toys Niall graced him with; he always seemed to go back to the same faded wooden block set. It seemed the endless hours he spent building towers and knocking them over never seemed to fail him.

Just as I was placing the last dish on the drying rack my phone started ringing from my jacket pocket. I dashed over to it, mentally cursing myself that I hadn’t checked it since last night.

“Hello?” I answered the phone hastily, almost dropping it in the process.

“Hey, Liv. Its Niall.”

“Niall, hey! What’s up?”

“Could I swing by and pick up Ethan? I haven’t seen him in a few days, and I ju-“

“Sure.” I laughed slightly, cutting Niall off before he got into his long explanation.

“Hey, do you wanna come over too? A bunch of the guys are over.”

“Sure, when will you be here?”

“Is fifteen okay?”

We settled on a time and bid goodbyes. I placed my phone onto my countertop, then rushed into my bathroom. I hastily applied light makeup, and brushed out my messy hair. After fixing myself up somewhat I dashed to my closet, where I slipped on a pair of black skinnies and a loose cream chiffon top. Then, once I was settled on my appearance I slipped into Ethan’s room and slung his diaper bag over my shoulder. Just as I was exiting his room I heard a few quick knocks on the door, signaling Niall’s arrival.

“Coming!” I called, making my way over to the door. I opened it, revealing Niall.

“Hey.” He breathed. I stepped out of the way, motioning for him to enter. He slipped past me, and walked over to Ethan.

“Hey buddy!” He greeted. Ethan held up his arms as Niall pulled him up into a big hug. “I missed you.” He snuggled him close, watching the young boy fist his tee shirt.

“Ok, my car’s just out front.” Niall grinned, walking over with the toddler on his hip.

“Oh one sec.” I held up my finger and dashed over to the living room. I stuffed Ethan’s blocks into the diaper bag; them walked back over to the waiting pair.

“Okay, lets go.” I smiled, picking my keys up off the counter and then following Niall down the stairs. Once we made it outside I sighed as the warm air tossed my hair around, briefly obscuring my vision.

“Ah, its such a beautiful day.” I got into the passenger side of the car, as Niall fumbled with the car seat.

“Need any help there?” I turned around to face Niall, who was fighting a losing battle with the straps of the seat.

“Yeah.” He sighed, handing the straps over to me. I leaned back and reached over to the car seat, which was behind Niall’s chair. I then straightened out the straps, and in one quick motione Ethan was tightly strapped in.

“You catch that?” I smiled up at Niall, whose ears were tinted pink slightly.

“Yeah.” He stuttered, shutting the door and getting in the drivers seat. I furrowed my eyebrows at his odd behavior, and then buckled up my seatbelt. He’s probably just embarrassed because he couldn’t get the car seat.

Niall’s POV

Oh, god, I hope she didn’t catch me staring. Is that why she said ‘catch that’? Is it because she caught me staring at her boobs? I mean, its not like I couldn’t have; they were right there, out in the open. I panicked slightly, then thought back to the open view of Liv’s ample bosom. When she leaned back in the seat, her light chiffon top dipped down, revealing her slightly larger than usual breasts. I could feel the tips of my ears burn with embarrassment as I drove the short drive to my place. When I stopped at a red light I glanced over at Olivia, who was staring out the side window. My eyes traced the gentle curve of her jaw, then flicked upwards to her heavily lashed eyes. I got a funny feeling when she bit her lip nervously, her eyes still focused out the window.

“Damn it.” I cursed, smacking the steering wheel. Liv’s head snapped to my direction, and I offered her a weak smile.

“You okay there?” she questioned. Her brow furrowed and she frowned as her eyes searched my face.

“Great. Just dandy.” I squeaked, pressing my foot down on the gas. “Just dandy.”

Minutes later we were pulling into the driveway of the house. I unbuckled my seatbelt and hopped out of the car. I then unbuckled Ethan, and placed him on the ground. I watched him scamper towards his mother, who was now standing in front of the door; she leaned down and opened her arms wide, where Ethan promptly ran into. I smiled a little as I locked the car behind me, and walked up to the duo on the front walk. Liv straightened up as I opened the front door, and shot her a small smile. Before I noticed what was happening Ethan darted into the house, racing to where his favorite toys were kept. I heard a chorus of coos as we followed the small toddler into the house. I glanced back at Olivia, who was standing shyly by the door, rubbing her arm. With a small flick of my head she walked over to me, and kept close to my side.

“Hey Liv! Long time no see.” Harry laughed from his perch on the couch. Liv replied with a hello, and I sat down beside Zayn as they engaged in a small conversation. Within no time she was settled into the couch beside Harry, fully engrossed into talking about LA. My eyes flicked over Zayn’s shoulder as I watched Ethan walk up to Liv, and knock his small fists on her thighs. I smiled as she picked him up, and he contentedly sat on her lap, watching Harry speak.

Olivia’s POV

Four hours later I checked my phone one last time before ducking into the back entrance of the restaurant. I smiled at the head chef, Winston before winding down a hall to find the other waitresses.

“Sharon!” I called, noticing the back of her head. Sharon was one of the waitresses here at the restaurant. She was quite short, standing at five feet, and had just turned thirty last month. We became fast friends after she was assigned to show me the ropes when I wad first hired. Much to her chagrin, she was still single, but was always on the lookout for men. I never understood why she was single, since she was gorgeous, with dark black hair and large doe eyes.

“Hey babe! Liv, this is the new girl, Alex.” Sharon held out her hand, signaling to a tall, blonde waitress.

“Nice to meet you.” I smiled.

“I’m showing Alex here the ropes for tonight, kinda like what I did for you!” Sharon laughed “You know, Alex; Liv was my very first recruit.”

“Hey, Share, when do you start?” I asked, hanging my purse up on a hook.

“Same time as you, watta ya think?” She scrunched her eyebrows together, following me down the hall, Alex close on her tail.

“Hey Liv.” Max smiled sweetly, walking from the kitchen “Your taking over for me tonight.” She winked, then proceeded to walk down the hall to the coat room.

“Shit, it’s packed out there tonight.” Share groaned, peeking through a small window into the main room.

“Well, good luck!” I called out at the duo, who then disappeared through the swinging doors.

It was two hours later and I was already pooped. All the hipster patrons this place seemed to be crawling with were all on some type of no-gluten extra-carb diet, and they kept on asking for substitutes in their meals. I wasn’t sure how much of this I could take. The only motivation I had was that my shift would be over in just under two hours. Two more hours. I droned over and over in my head as I cheerfully took people orders and served them. I walked up to a new table, trying not to roll my eyes at the bleached blonde wearing sky-high pumps trying to sit down beside her friend, without her blue dress revealing her entire bum. I put on a smile as I clicked up to table, menus in hand, to go and greet what looked from behind to be some kind of a double date.

“Hi! My name is Olivia and I’ll be your server for-“ I stopped mid-sentence, my hands seemingly frozen in place. Sitting across from the two bimbos was none other than my dear friends Niall Horan and Liam Payne. Shit.

“Liv?” Niall furrowed his eyebrows up at me. Meanwhile, Liam just stared, his gaze flicking between Niall and I.

“Niall, Liam, Hi.” I squeaked, panic rising within me.

“I didn’t know you worked here.” Niall stated, still staring at me perplexedly.

“I, uh- just started the other day, actually. I just wanted to see how I liked it before I- uh, told anyone.” I silently cheered, happy I came up with a lie so quickly.

“Oh, well I guess that makes sense then. Liv, this is Sarah, and Molly.” Niall motioned to the two girls sitting opposite to them in the booth.

“Hey! So are you Niall’s friend or-“ Sarah asked.

“Yeah, you could put it that way.” I shot her a smile, placing a menu down in front of each person. “Take your time, I’ll be back in a few to take drink orders.”

After what seemed like the longest night of my entire life I finally got let off at eleven, an hour over my expected release. I practically ran home, dashing down the deserted streets and up into the building. I was home within three minutes, a new record.

“Anna! I’m so sorry hon, they let me out late since a bunch of people left early, and I couldn’t worm my way out of it.” I said quickly, pulling my wallet out of my purse. “How much do I owe you?”

“Just a twenty.” She smiled sweetly, accepting the bill. I watched as she stood up, slipped on a pair of flip-flops and slipped past me.

“Thanks for watching him! Tell your father I’m sorry I kept you for so long.” I called after her retreating back. Quietly, I clicked the door closed behind her, and bolted it shut. After removing my shoes, I tiptoed down the short hall into Ethan’s room, where he was peacefully sleeping. I was lucky with him; he always slept through the night, and almost never got up crying.

After checking up on Ethan, I got ready for bed. Quietly, I changed into pajamas and undid my hair. Right before I tucked into bed I flicked on my lamp, and picked up my favorite book. Nothing helped me sleep better than reading. Almost every night I read, even a few short chapters before managing to doze off.
♠ ♠ ♠
SO sorry it took forever to get this second chapter up. I re-read and re-read and re-read this chapter, trying to fix my awkward ending, but couldn't think of a single thing. Sorry about that awkward ending, by the way. I can never figure out what to put in endings to make them flow well. I know, I know, these chapters are RIDICULOUSLY boring, but that's because I have to start up the story before I can start making it better. The next few chapters will get WAY more exciting, I promise. I have some exciting ideas for where this story is heading, so bear with me through it's awkward teenagery stage. Please comment and tell me what you think, and give me a little constructive critisicm? All comments are mucho appreciato. Pretty please comment, I love you all! <3