Status: Work in Progress

Straight Through My Heart

007

The nice thing I realized about the Way family is that they weren't nosy. When Gerard and I had finally emerged from the living room, his grandmother gave us our duties and went about her own. Mikey looked at us for a long moment, but stayed quiet. I looked over at Gerard who, when he met my gaze, smiled lazily and winked, making me smile as well.

I don't know how Gerard knew there was something haunting me, but when his arms wrapped around me, I felt safe. The beat of his heart had soothed the pain that was in my own. I went back to what I was doing, enjoying the comforting noise of Grandmother's humming.

Time Elapse

Once everything had gotten done, and dinner was going, Gerard, Mikey and I started playing some card game to pass the time. After a while, Mikey decided to go see if Grandmother needed any help with something, which left Gerard and I alone for a bit.

"Everything alright?" Gerard asked, causing me to look up at him with curious eyes. "I don't want to push, I'm just curious."

"All I'm comfortable with saying at the moment is that my home life isn't all that great," I said, bringing up one knee and resting my chin upon it. Gerard continued to stare at me, and I met his gaze. Neither of us said anything, we just sat there and looked at one another. He seemed to be trying to peel away layer by layer at who I was.

We both jumped and looked up when Mikey came crashing through the kitchen door, Grandmother hot on his heels. "Boy, I will bend you over my knee next time you try to do something so stupid!" she scolded, whacking Mikey over the head with a wooden spoon. I smacked my mouth as I fell over, trying my hardest not to bust out laughing.

As Mikey sat down rubbing his head, and Grandmother made her way into the kitchen, I continued to try and hold in my laughter. After a moment, Gerard gave me an all clear and I let it out, causing the brothers to soon join me.

Moments passed, and we soon calmed down. I looked at Mikey and gave him the biggest smile I could muster. "You're all smiley. Why are you all smiley?" he asked, getting a bit startled.

"Why? Because I can be," I said, leaning back on my hands and crossing my legs out before me. Mikey rolled his eyes and slouched down into the couch, mindlessly rubbing where his grandmother hit him. I glanced back over at Gerard who was fiddling with the cards, seeming to be lost in thought. "Everything alright, Way?" I asked, causing Gerard to look up at me, his hazel eyes really intense, causing me to swallow hard.

"Hmm?" he said, shaking his head and blinking a few times. "Oh. Yeah," he went on, causing me to nod once. I sensed he had a hard time opening to people at times, and that this is one of those times. Before I could do or say anything else, Gerard stood on his knees and walked over to where I was and sat down beside me. I sat up better, bringing my hands to my lap and sitting Indian style.

I looked at him, studying the shadows on his features, the set line of his jaw. He looked at me, his eyes meeting mine. I noticed the speckles of brown in his eyes, and how his hair fell over his face in some places. Lifting my hand, I gently pushed the hair out of his face, getting a better look at what made up the face of my new found friend. There were dark circles under his eyes from apparent lack of sleep.

"Eye of an artist for sure," he whispered, studying my face even more, especially my mouth. "You take in every detail possible, hoping to put it down on paper perfectly..." Before I knew what was happening, he started leaning in towards me, his head tilting a bit, his gaze never leaving my mouth.

"Dinner is ready," Grandmother said, causing me and Gerard to snap our heads towards to the kitchen door. She emerged, looking at us all with a look of expectancy. "Well, spostarlo," she said, snapping her fingers. Standing up, we all made our way towards the kitchen. If I hadn't already been nervous, Gerard's fingers hooking in my back belt loop would have done it. I swallowed hard again, unsure of what was happening.
♠ ♠ ♠
spostarlo - move