Status: Please leave any comments or suggestions because I really want to make this story good.

You Were Always on My Mind

Cliff Diving

After a week of settling in and hanging out with friends, Jacob has convinced everyone to go cliff diving. Jacob has been trying to convince me to go cliff diving since we turned thirteen, and I have always refused. This time, he's probably going to try and get everyone else to convince me so that he can't get the blame.

Everyone has agreed that Friday will be the best day to go cliff diving. We have decided on doing a potluck for lunch and everyone is going to bring tasty food. Sam, Emily, and I set up the table for the food while everyone goes down to the ledge they always dive off of. Sam wants to come for parental supervision and Emily tagged along to get some more color on her skin, although she’s dark enough. We all chat while Emily and I work on our tans. For a while, I watch from the edge of the cliff as my friends jump from the second lowest ledge. Shadow tries to follow them, but I stop her from going down the side of the cliff. Eventually I decide to join Emily and Sam again.

All of a sudden, wet arms wrap around me and carry me off. Shadow's barking like crazy while Sam and Emily laugh, so I just play along until I realize he's taking me to the edge of the cliff.

"Put me down," I beg and try and wiggle my way out.

"You've thought about it, now it's time to actually jump," Jacob declares. I could tell he was smiling at this. He carries me to the lowest ledge and traps me against the cliff wall. His hands are on either side of my head and I swear it seems like he might just kiss me. "We can do this the easy way where you jump alone or with me. Or we can do this the hard way where I pick you up and throw you."

"What's option c?" I ask hopeful.

"Well, I guess you could kiss me and then I'll leave you alone, but that doesn't mean the other guys won't drag you down here. Just be lucky it was me and not Alex. He said he was going to just toss you in."

"I'll go with option a, ready?"

"I've been ready," he answers taking my hand in his. We run off the cliff and jump off. It’s scary but a total adrenaline rush! We continue to jump off of the lowest ledge while everyone else is two ledges above.

"Go Samantha!!" Amy and Nicole shout as they watch me jump off the cliff for the fifth time. Eventually when I get comfortable enough, Jake takes me up to the ledge where everyone else is.

"Oooo I think we've got a new couple here," Adam states quickly before jumping off the ledge. At first, I didn’t understand who he’s talking about until I look down and Jake and I are holding hands. We both let go and step a little farther away from each other. This time I jump with Amy and Nicole. I jump with everyone in the group so that they would stop giving Jake and I looks. Nick convinces me to go twice with him so I comply, but after I had gone with everyone I jump off with Jacob about 5 more times. I finally decide to go by myself and I decide to do a back tuck, front layout then dive into the water. Everyone is clapping for me when I pop back up out of the water.

"Thank you, thank you," I say bowing once I reach the makeshift steps. After about another hour, we head up the cliff to eat lunch. Shadow follows everyone around trying to get a piece of good piece of meat. Everyone crowds around the table getting a little bit of everything then head to the cooler Emily and Sam brought and grab a drink. I sit with Amy and Nicole and we talk about how fun the past week has been.

"I'm so glad Jacob came up with the idea of cliff diving," Nicole gushes after swallowing a mouth full of food. She eats so much yet she is so skinny.

"Speaking of Jake, are you two together?" Amy whispers.

"No! Why do you ask that?" I answer gaping at her.

"Because he obviously likes you and so does Nick," Becka points out.

"So, you've got two amazing and gorgeous guys going after you, who are you going to choose?" Amy demands to know.

"I don't know, I haven't thought about it," I respond feeling the heat rush to my face.

"Really? Not even a little?" Becka asks.

"Maybe a little, can we just change the subject already?" I plead. All of a sudden, Nick comes up behind me and scares me. I hop around and chase Nick hoping to tackle him. "I will get you!"

Everyone watches and laughs as I chase Nick around the cliff. I finally tackle him to the ground, thankful that I did track, and sit on top of him.

"Now you have to be my slave since I caught you,” I declare smiling.

"Anything for you," he replies grinning. I get off of him quickly and go to sit with the girls.

"Stay with the boys and we’ll be fine," I tell him winking. He puts on a pouty face, but I insist that he stays there. An hour later, I decide to go to the little cave off to the side and try something new. I hear someone follow me as I walk down the makeshift staircase and to the cave. When I turn, I see Jake behind me smiling.

"I thought you might like some company," he answers my unasked question.

"I like company," I say smiling back at him then walk down a little farther and into the cave. I try some new flips off of the ledge and into the ocean. I did a round off back handspring back tuck then dove straight into the water.

"That was amazing," Jake comments as I come back up the steps, squeezing excess water out of my hair. His mouth is slightly open in awe.

"Thanks," I reply blushing a little. I’m not used to getting compliments on my gymnastics.

"Was that a round off back handspring back flip?" He asks. Now it’s my turn to have my mouth open.

"You really did pay attention," I say, completely shocked that he knew the names of the flips. He walks up to me and closes my mouth.

"We don't want any flies getting in there now, do we?" He jokes with a goofy grin. We are close enough where I could easily fill in the gap between our lips...

"Sammy! Where are you?" I hear Adam, Nick and Johnny call out. I quickly step back and almost trip over a rock.

"In here!" I answer. I see Nick's face first. Once he notices Jacob in the cave, his smile turns into a frown and his eyebrows knit together.

"What are you two doing in here silly gooses?" Johnny asks coming up behind Nick.

"I was just doing some gymnastics stunts and Jacob was making sure that I wouldn't accidentally hurt myself," I quickly answer. It was true… for the most part.

"Do you think you can do it on the top ledge?! I wanna watch!" Johnny begs, bouncing around with joy.

"If I hurt myself you better dive off the top and save me!" I warn him. I walk to the boys and Johnny loops his arm through mine.

"So you agreed to be mine and now you can never leave," Johnny informs me smiling down at me.

"What happens if I fall in love?" I ask with big sad eyes.

"Oh sweetie that's a part of it, we're supposed to fall in love with each other!" He tells me patting my hand on his arm. Once we reach the top, Johnny lets go of my arm. "It's time to work your magic!"

I do most of the flips that I do in the cave. I ask Alex to spot me a few times since he's seen me do these flips at home. Everyone claps every time I come back up and Johnny always asks for an encore. I feel like the star of a show! After a while, I get tired of doing flips and running up the stairs. Johnny gets so sad that I have to stop and he was the only one that was cheering the whole time. That was just Johnny.

Everyone except Alex, Jacob, and I go cliff diving again. Alex is tired from spotting me and he was also cliff diving with me. Jacob is too full to go cliff diving; his reasoning is that he’s a growing boy that has to eat. I am completely exhausted from doing flips and running. We watch from the edge of the cliff as our friends try crazy flips. Shadow curls up next to me, head on my lap, watching the others as well. The guys are always trying to do a cooler, faster flip than the other. I notice how Nick looks up here a little more than necessary. Once I dry up, I change back into my shorts and tank top then go back to Alex and Jake.

"We're heading home, drop by anytime sweetie and I'll have something ready for you to eat," Emily offers packing up her things then hugging me.

"We'll give your dad an invitation for dinner tomorrow so you can all come over," Sam informs Alex and I then hugs us. "Jacob, you and Billy can come too."

"Thanks, I'll tell my dad," Jake responds. After they leave, we head back to watching. I get a sudden burst of energy and want to do something, but not cliff diving.

"Anyone want to join me on a walk?" I ask Jake and Alex. The scenery is always so pretty up here, might as well enjoy it all.

"I'll pass," Alex answers getting up to grab a drink.

"Jake?" I ask, “I wouldn't mind going with Shadow, but I would prefer a friend I can actually talk to.”

"Sure Sammy," Jake answers getting up and walks by my side. We head up the mountain and Jake stops us where they have the bonfire every year. Usually, it’s just the Quileutes and my family, but sometimes more Makahs would join. Last year, it was just Jake and I since my dad had to work late that night and Alex was too tired to come. We walked home together while everyone else drove off. I felt like walking since last years bonfire was just a couple days after my return in town. I had missed everything and begged Jake to go with me. We crossed through the beach. I ran through the ocean since I was wearing shorts, but I tripped and ended up getting soaked. We took a quick path from the beach to our house and I thanked Jake then ran to the warmth of my house. I could hear him laughing behind me as I entered my house. My dad had stayed up worried. After I explained I wasn't alone, but with Jake he calmed down.

"I'm not walking home with you again this year," Jake says as if on cue.

"I wasn't planning on walking," I reply laughing, "or going in the ocean that late at night. I was freezing my butt off."

"I realized that as soon as I saw you sprint toward your house. I thought I smelled bad or something then I saw you shaking so I realized you were cold."

"Not everyone is smart enough to stay out of the ocean at midnight. It seemed like an amazing idea at the time and I missed the ocean here. It missed me too that's why it tripped me; it just wanted a hug," I defend my stupidity, but I end up laughing at my reasoning.

"Did it whisper in your ear: Sammy come to me, I need you!"

"Yes! I didn't know you spoke ocean!!" I exclaim giggling. Jake just gives me that “you're crazy, so how are we friends look”. After a few minutes of sitting out here, we head back to the others. Everyone is packing up and enjoying some more food. I grab a cookie and Sunny-D then sit down in Alex's truck bed.

"Where were you two?" Amy asks as Nicole and Becka look at me curiously.

"I wanted to go for a walk and see the campfire where they tell the stories," I answer leaving out the details of last summer.

"Was that all? No kissing or holding hands or anything?" Nicole questions hoping for something juicy to talk about.

"Nothing happened, we just went on a walk," I reply.

"Well I still think you and Nick would be great together," Amy comments.

The guys finish packing up then Alex drops off everyone at their houses first before we get home. I immediately head upstairs and shower then change into a pair of shorts and an old shirt. When I enter the living room, Billy, Charlie, and my dad are watching a basketball game. I greet them then move on to the kitchen. In the pantry there is a box of cup of noodles. I grab one, then quickly cook it. After it’s done, I grab a fork and head out to the front porch. Alex and Jacob are playing basketball in the driveway and it looks like Alex is winning.

"Aren't you guys hungry?" I ask as I sit on the porch swing and eat my cup of noodles.

"We ate while you were in the shower," Alex informs me as he attempts to dunk. I continue to eat while I watch the boys play. After they finally get tired of playing each other they join me on the porch swing. "What shall we do next?"

"Watch movies?" I suggest.

"Nah," Jacob replies, "we need to save that for when we can't go outside."

"Baseball? I'll pitch!" I suggest. I was good at pitching, never batting.

"We need to head out to the park, last time you pitched and I was up to bat we almost broke Mrs. Collins window," Alex states. He heads up to the little shed and grabs two baseballs and a bat. I head inside quickly with my empty bowl and spoon.

"Hey dad, Alex, Jacob and I are heading to the park. We'll be back around 7," I call out to the living room.

"Don't break anything," he warns, but I hear all of the men in the living room laugh.

"We'll try not to," I reply grabbing a jacket then heading back outside. "Let's go!"

We walk to the park that’s next to the high school. I've heard lots of stories about my friends doing stupid things after school here. There’s a little area to play baseball, but it’s meant for younger kids. I end up pitching in between 2nd base and the pitching mound to give myself enough space between myself and the boys. One of the guys bat while the other stands in outfield. Alex ends up winning in the end since he is more used to my pitches.

"It's your turn to bat," Alex informs me halfway through our second game.

"I'll pass," I state.

"I insist."

He is a persistent one so I decide to go one round. Jacob decides to be catcher since they both knew I can barely hit. The first hit is a foul, but I don't realize that until I’m at first base and Jacob’s on the ground clutching his stomach.

"Jake! What happened?!" I demand. I know that I didn't hit him on the swing, at least I don't think I did.

"You threw the bat and it hit him," Alex explains cracking up.

"You're such a great friend," Jacob retorts slowly yet surely sitting up. I run back to him and hug him apologizing over and over again.

"I'm sorry, this is why they usually don't trust me with a bat! Especially the metal ones," I reply glaring at Alex.

"What did I do?" He whines.

"You brought the metal bat and made me use it!"

"I'll be fine Sammy," Jacob reassures me standing up, "see all better."

"I'm only pitching now," I state keeping an eye on Jacob. He is still clutching his stomach, stupid metal bat. Jacob takes outfield while Alex goes up to bat. We play two more rounds then head home.

"How's your stomach?" I ask Jake.

"Its fine, there’s just going to be some bruising," he answers, "you sure have a strong arm."

"Sorry, just come over tomorrow so I can check it out," I say, "and ice it tonight."

"Sammy, you worry too much. I'm a guy, I'll be fine," Jacob declares trying to calm me down. He puts his hands at his sides to try and prove that he's fine. We continue walking to the house, but I notice him wincing. Once we reach the house, we head our separate ways.

"Don't forget to ice your stomach," I remind Jacob.

"I won't forget," he calls back then disappears into his house. I head upstairs and change into my pajamas. I search through my bookcase and decide on reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns". I grab a blanket and head out to my deck. I sit down in a plush chair and get comfortable then start reading. I get halfway through the book when I hear the door open behind me.

"Hey Sammy. How's your deck?" I hear my dad ask.

"Everything's good, the furniture still feels new," I answer turning away from the book and toward him.

"Is your mom still buying you books?"

"Every once in a while, but I always reread," I answer holding up my book.

"Is this the third time now?"

"Fourth, I brought it to San Diego two years ago and read it at mom's house."

"Well I'll let you read in peace," my dad states kissing my forehead then heading back into the house.

"Night dad, love you."

"Love you too, Sammy."

I stay outside for another hour or so, then grab my things and head back into my room. I head downstairs for a water and quick snack. Alex is sitting on the couch watching a movie. I quietly head to the couch then pinch the back of Alex's neck. He jumps a few feet into the air and quickly turns around with wide eyes.

"Sammy!" He whispers loudly.

"You were so vulnerable," I defend myself then head to the kitchen. I come back out with a water bottle barely taking any notice to Alex.

"Sammy?" He asks before I head up the stairs.

"Yes, Alex?"

"Never mind I'll ask you another time."

"You sure?"

"Ya. Night, Sammy."

“Good night, Alex."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment or subscribe!