Home

Iron & Wine

Finally I managed to kick Anastasia out of my apartment, only after she’d thoroughly embarrassed me in front of Zak. As I was ushering her and Colette out the door she’d whispered to me, “Don’t let that man out of your sight! Do what you have to do, Lily!” Which, in return, only embarrassed me more.

I returned to Zak and Avaya, who were rolling a ball back and forth on the floor, and smiled. Zak looked up and caught my eye, grinning back at me. I scratched my upper arm and walked to my bedroom to quickly throw a t-shirt on over my tank top. I’d managed to keep Zak’s eyes off my back all afternoon. I didn’t want to destroy my good luck streak yet.

I sat down beside Zak afterwards and brought my knees into my chest. “Sorry about that,” I apologized. “I didn’t know you were coming over.”

“It’s fine. I should’ve called first anyway. I just thought I’d surprise you.” He smirked.

“Well consider me surprised,”

“Your sister is pretty cool. I like her.”

“Yeah, everyone likes Anastasia.”

“Mm, well, just between you and me, I like her younger sister just a little bit more.”

I chuckled and nudged him with my shoulder. “You suck-up.”

He laughed softly by my side and looked away from me. “Whatcha doing, Av?”

I lifted my head to see Avaya trying to grab my iPod dock off a ledge on my bookshelf. She couldn’t quite reach, so I got up and grabbed it for her.

“What do you want with this?” I asked.

“I want to dance, mommy, please!” She clapped her hands together.

I smirked. “Alright, alright,”

I set my iPhone into the little dock and let my phone go on shuffle. Hey Jude was the first song to come on and Avaya grabbed my hands and started to jump and spin around. Even Zak stood up and started to dance around the small living room with us. He had me laughing with the way he was jumping in a circle and throwing his arms out in an almost hazardous manner. I liked how he could go from being bossy and serious to sweet and silly in an instant. Call me weird for it, but I don’t mind.

We burned through at least seven songs before Avaya toddled over to the dock and went through my songs. She couldn’t read all the words yet, but she knew how my phone worked. That kind of made me feel weird to think about. What kind of world were we living in if my daughter can learn to control an iPhone before she can read? I tried not to let it bug me as I pushed my hair out of my face and waited to see what song she’d put on. And when she finally picked one, it wasn’t what I was expecting to hear.

“I was a quick wit boy diving too deep for coins…”

I paused and stared at Avaya, who was grinning innocently at me and Zak. Flightless Bird American Mouth by Iron & Wine was a slow song. Like, a slow dance song.

“Mommy and Zak dance!” she commanded. She ran up to Zak and grabbed his hand, trying to pull him towards me.

“Oh, sweetie, maybe we should change the—” I was cut-off by Zak’s hand placing itself on my waist with a light pressure. I looked up at him and there was no trace of joking in his expression. His right hand held my left one and I slowly placed my right hand on his shoulder. It all felt very weird for a minute.

“Dance, dance!” Avaya sang, doing her own little ballerina moves to the slowly undulating song.

“W-we don’t have to…” I whispered, staring up into his blue eyes.

“I kind of want to, though.” He answered.

“Oh. Okay.”

We began to slowly sway from side to side with a healthy distance between our bodies. But just the simple touch of hands was enough for me. All my attention was on my hip and my hand, where he was touching me while we danced. Occasionally I’d become hyperaware of my hand in his or my other hand on his shoulder, feeling the muscles in his shoulder move if he bent his arm just a little bit more. I could feel the heat on my face the more my sense of touch was heightened. I dared to look up at him to find him still staring at me with eyes I couldn’t quite read. He looked content, but he also looked like he was thinking really hard about something. I was scared to ask what it was.

“You’re a good dancer,” he murmured with a tiny smirk.

I smiled and looked down at our feet as we spun around. “You’re leading me.”

“True,”

Suddenly the hand on my hip disappeared and he lifted my other hand up into the air, pushing me away from him a little. I gave him a concerned look.

“Spin,” he instructed.

I did as told and let him spin me around once before I felt his chest and stomach against mine. Suddenly I was bent backwards and my hair fell in open air. He was leaning over me and smiling like a kid. I chuckled at him as he brought me upright again.

“Do you normally do this with girls?” I joked.

He shook his head. “No, not usually. Why? Is it working? Should I do this more often?”

“We’ll see,” I laughed, placing a tentative hand on his warm chest. The music stopped and I felt a tug on my shirt. Avaya was looking up at us and she opened her arms. Zak swiftly picked her up and perched her on his shoulders and we danced a little bit more around the room. I had to laugh and admire him at the same time.

“What are you giggling at over there?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. He ducked down suddenly and then sprang back up, making Avaya squeal with laughter. “Is this not a serious enough predicament for you?”

I smirked, folding my arms over my chest. “No, no, it’s fine,” I said. “It’s just, for a big muscly guy you’re pretty weird.”

“Oh yeah? So what? Big muscly guys can’t be just as weird as tiny brunettes?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Hey now,” I shook a finger at him and pointed to Avaya. “We both take offence to that.”

“What are you gonna do about it?” He pulled Avaya off his shoulders and dangled her around in a circle before setting her down, where she spun out into the couch laughing.

“Watch yourself, Bagans. You don’t know the kind of power I can wield.” I gave him a smart look.

He grabbed Avaya and ducked behind her. “Bring it on, momma. I have a human shield.”

“Oh, that’s so not fair!” I whined.

He started to laugh like he knew something I didn’t. “I get it,” he chuckled. He nudged Avaya’s cheek with his. “I think your mommy’s jealous.”

“Excuse me?” I asked incredulously.

“Yeah, yeah, I think your mom wants her own shoulder ride,” He grinned maliciously.

Avaya clapped her hands together ecstatically. “Give her one, Zak!”

Zak set Avaya aside and started to prowl towards me, stalking me like a lion stalks its prey. I started to back up and held my hands out in front of me.

“Easy now tiger,” I said, unable to hide my smile. “Don’t do anything you’ll regret later.”

He chuckled darkly, reaching out for me slowly. “I don’t think there’s a thing about this that I’ll regret later.”

Before I could reply he lunged at me. I darted out of his grasp, giggling as I ran down the hallway. But before I could disappear into my room at the end of the hallway I felt strong arms wrap around my midsection and pull me back, crushing me against Zak’s body. I let out a girly little scream that got tangled up in my laughter and he picked me up and brought me back into the living room. I could hear his own chuckle in my ear.

“Alright, I caught the elusive momma bear,” Zak said playfully to Avaya. “What do you think I should do with her, boss?”

“Shoulder ride, shoulder ride!” Avaya chimed out.

“But Av, I’m your mom! Don’t let him do this to me!” I begged.

“Shoulder ride!” Avaya was adamant.

“You heard her,” Zak shrugged. I felt his arms change position on my body and before I knew it the floor was no longer under my feet.

He stepped in front of me and hoisted me up so I was lying across his shoulders. His arms wrapped around me like he was carrying a tree on his shoulders. My hair fell across my face but I was laughing as he spun us around. He paused, laughing with me, and eyed me. I reached out and flicked his nose.

“You’re dangerous,” I said.

“I’m just giving the girl what she wants,” he smirked.

I only shook my head and tried to wiggle around a bit. He eventually set me down beside him, grinning like a wild man. His arm wrapped lightly across my waist and to my surprise I didn’t freeze up at his touch. Come to think of it, I hadn’t really frozen up at any of his touches tonight. Maybe there was something in the ventilation system in my apartment building.

Avaya ran up to us, wrapping her arms as far as she could get them across our legs. I put a hand on her head and smiled. I looked over at Zak, who looked astounded and lovely at the same time. He had this big, bashful smile on his face. I wish I had a camera so I could capture it.

“I think she likes you,” I commented.

He lifted his blue eyes to me. “Think so?”

“Mm-hm,”

“Well I’m glad. I like her too. But I’m curious, does her mom like me as well?” He raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

I smiled secretively and looked back down at Avaya. “I think she’s warming up to you,” I answered.

“Good enough for me.” Zak whispered.

I found myself leaning my head against his shoulder. His heavy arm moved to squeeze my shoulder gently. I froze up a bit at that one. I thought I jinxed myself. Underneath Zak’s muscular arm I could feel the phantom tingle of my stupid small burn marks. My smile wavered and I struggled to maintain it. I didn’t want him thinking something was suddenly wrong with me. I just stayed right where I was and tried to ignore the uncomfortable sensation on my right shoulder. I desperately wished I could get over it, but I think it was going to take a lot more than a fun evening with Zak to get me to forget what I’d gone through before he came along.
♠ ♠ ♠
i really like this chapter. i couldn't help but update quickly! :) i hope you liked it too. please let me know!
rec/comment/subscribe