The Opportunity Has Just Begun

I Want Them To Stop

The day had started off fine like every other day. Everyone was happy and getting along right up until we hit the gym. Sid and Geno would watch me like hawks, trying to get me to take it easy. But it always ended up with someone having a bitter taste in their mouth. It was on going ever since I had the argument with Sid about the shopping. He was trying to watch out for me too much and I didn't want it. While we all usually got over it a few minutes later, this I didn't want to have a bar of them.

“Cam take it easy,” Sid looked over at me as I went hard on the treadmill.
“I am fine,” I was out of breath but I was ok.
“Maybe you should take a break,” he stopped peddling on the bike next to me and I could feel him staring at me.
“I know my limits ok,” I grumbled putting my earphones in and ignored him.
I know he was just looking out for me but he had been doing this every practice so far. It was exactly why I liked to workout on my own. Between him and Geno I felt like I was on some kind of house arrest.

I looked down trying not to get distracted by anyone else but as I lifted my head to get a good breath in I was greeted with Geno standing in front of me hands crosses over his chest, with a straight face.

"What?" I huffed.
"You need rest," he frowned.
"Look I told Sid I am fine just leave me alone."
"Breathing hard, need break," he put his hands on the front of the treadmill, but his hard eyes weren't going to stop me.

He said something in Russian and by his facial expression I knew he probably deserved a slap for it but I continued to power along. That was until he switched it off.

"What are you doing?" I tried to push his hands away and set the speed back up.
"Stubborn Cam, hurt self," he stopped it again.
"I am not stubborn," I went to press it again but he grab my wrist before I could. His large hand was squeezing my  wrist and honestly it hurt a bit, he never really did know his own strength.
"Let me go," I pushed him off and stepped off the treadmill, "you two can't protect me forever."
"Can try."
"Just leave her G, if she doesn't want our help we won't give her it," Sid folded his arms over his chest.
"Don't you have a game to get ready for tonight anyways?" I narrowed my eyes at them.

I had been dealing with them pestering me none stop for the past two or three days. They meant well but I wanted to do this myself. After all it was, my body, my problem to deal with and I didn't need them to be looking over my shoulder all the time.

I headed back to locker room, ignoring everyone's curious eyes and grabbed my gym bag before heading out.

I put my cap on my head and pulled the brim down so I didn't have to make any awkward eye contact with anyone walking the other way in the hall.

I was so focused on my feet that I hadn't even noticed all the people in front of me before I walked right into someone.

"Woah watch where your... Cam?" 
I didn't want to look up as my face was already red like a tomato but I couldn't hide when they pulled the brim up and Adam was smiling at me.

"Hey, how are you?" He put his hands on my shoulders and moved me towards the wall so we were out of the way and free to continue conversation.
"I am good, yourself?" I mustered up a smile for him. While I was still slightly agitated from the other two I couldn't exactly direct it at him.
"Good, how's the thing?" He looked a little uneasy with what he was saying but I knew the look.
"The diabetes?"
"Yeah," his eyes were so apologetic.
"It's fine. I am working it out."
"So does that mean you will be playing?"
"Not tonight, but hopefully the next game."
"That's awesome," he looked genuinely happy for me, which was more than I was getting from anyone else.
"Yeah, I just wish the others were half as happy for me as you are."
"Why what's wrong?"
"It's... they just worry to much and don't want me to come back before I am ready."
"You've seen the doctor right?"
"Yeah and he said I am fine."
"Well then don't worry about it," he waved it off, "you will be fine."
"Thanks."

"Hey what are you doing tonight?"
"Apart from the game, nothing, why?"
"Do you want to come over for dinner? Or we could go out, it's just with my diabetes it's easier if I know what is in the food," I began to panic,
"No, no it's fine. I can come over for a while. It's quiet, no people to disturb us."
"Unless Sid's stays home. He's supposed to be going out with the guys but if he gets wind of you coming over I am sure he will stay."
"Don't tell him, it's your house too right?"   I felt him move closer and his voice quiten, before one of his large hands found my hip.
"Right," I looked up and saw him smiling back at me.
"I'll meet you back here after the game," his face was so close now I was sure he was going to kiss me.
"Ok."

But he didn't. He just walked away, heading into the visitors locker room looking back onto to flash that smile of his.

Damn. What was I getting myself into? Was I only doing this because I was mad at the others? I could do what I wanted though? I was grown up, I could look after myself and didn't need anyone's permission to be with someone.
♠ ♠ ♠
For team Adam? Enjoy it while it's there :)