The Opportunity Has Just Begun

A Friend In Need

"Cam!" Geno's deep russian accent echoed through the front door.
"I am coming, I am coming," I groaned as I headed for the front door while he continued to pound away, "hold your horses."

I grabbed the door handle and pulled it open to reveal a rather drunk looking russian on the porch who if not for the railing would be flat on his face.

"Woah are you ok?" I put my hands up to stop him from tripping on the doormat.
"You not tell me, why you not tell me?" he pushed his way passed me into the foyer almost knocking me over.
"What are you talking about?" 
"Oksana tell me you know whole time," he narrowed his eyes at me like I was the worlds worst person.

I knew exactly what he was talking about now and there was no denying it. Even like this he could still read me like a book. Oksana had been cheating on him and there was no way she was going to leave quietly before stirring up something amongst the team. He knew it too but that didn't mean he wasn't going to hold back his anger for anyone else's sake.

"Geno, I am sorry," I tried to reach out and touch him hoping it would be enough to bring him back to earth.
"No, saying sorry not help," he yanked his hand away and stumbled into the kitchen.

"Geno," I called and ran after him, "come back."
"No," he began rummaging through the shelves where our alcohol stash was located.
"What are you doing?" I sighed.
"Alcohol make everything better," he stated grabbing the bottle of Wild Turkey and tipping back without consideration for a glass or moderation.
"No, no, Geno, you can't just drown yourself in alcohol," I tried to fight him for it, but it was no use he had at least a foot and a half on me.
"Can and will," he pushed me out of the way again and that was the final straw for me being nice.

"You know what?!" I raised my voice a little louder than I had anticipated but went with it.
"She probably had a very good reason to do it."
"What?" he looked at me like I had just killed his dog or something.
"You. You act like such an ass. Just now your pushing me around like I am nothing and you expect me to feel sorry for you. Well I did! When I saw her kissing that other guy I wanted nothing more than to run back inside and tell you but you were out with your concussion and she was the only person who made you happy so I didn't."

He didn't say anything back. He just sighed and stared at the bottle on the table in his large hands. 

"You know for some crazy reason I had this image in my mind about you being this person who never gave up. I always thought you would fight for what you wanted but you don't," I shook my head, "you run away from everything."
"Don't," he scoffed tipping back the bottle.
"You do. Lose game you run and hide from everyone and sulk, you kiss me and you run off telling me things will sort themself out and this! Your here getting yourself blind drunk and not there sorting it out."
"Nothing to sort out," he grumbled, "she going. I say is good."
"Just this afternoon you said you didn't know what you wanted with her."
"Not know she cheating then," he got up and walked into the lounge room like he owned the place.

"Can you just stop walking away from me?" I followed him, "or I am going to tie you to that fucking chair."
"You not understand," he slumped into the chair.
"I don't understand huh? I don't understand what it is like to love someone and not have them love me back? Yeah because your the only person to go through it."

I was getting ready to throw in the towel and kick him out so I could go to sleep or at least do something better with my time before he was dropping his head and beginning to cry.

"Geno," I quitened my voice and moved over to sit on the arm of the sofa.
"I am bad person," he dropped the bottle and I knew he had given up the fighting.
"Your not exactly bad, just a little lost."
"Need help," he flopped his head onto my thigh.
"All you have to do is ask G and I would be happy to help," I put my hand on his head and let my fingers run through his hair hoping to help him out even in the slightest.
"No, I make mistakes with you too. I do wrong and need to make it better," he pulled himself out of the chair and stumbled over to the door.

"Where do you think your going now?" 
"Home."
"No your not, Geno there is no way you are driving home like this," I grabbed the back of his jacket so he couldn't leave.

Sure I was kind of angry at him for messing me around in the head, then again I didn't do anything to help myself. But with Geno I could never stay angry at him, I could pretend to be but it didn't last long. No matter what it was or how angry either us were we would run straight back to each other because it was where we felt like we were meant to be.

"Come on you need to go to bed," I bearded him in the direction of the stairs.
"I sleep on couch," he slurred and stopped dead in his tracks.
"No you can stay in my bed, your going to need to be somewhere I know you won't kill yourself."

I ushered him up the stairs which was a task in itself making sure he didn't trip and fall, that would have been hard to explain to the media. We made it to my room and I dumped him on the bed with a thud.

"Cam?" he tried to sit up but gave up as I pulled off his shoes.
"Yeah?" I moved over to sit next to him spread eagled on the bed.
"I am sorry," his head rolled before finally focusing on me.
"It's ok," I put my hand on his forehead to feel the warmth radiating from his skin, "I guess everyone makes mistakes and we just have to deal with them."
"Mmm," his eyes slipped shut.

"G?" I questioned when his whole body stilled unexpected, "Geno," I shook him feeling my heart race in desperation to see his eyes again and know he was ok.
"M," he grunted.
"Open your eyes," I ran my hand through his hair. 

He struggled but eventually he peered up at me. He looked terrible and I wanted nothing more than to take everything I said back and for him to be ok.
"Do you want some water?"
"Nyet."
"What? Geno English... You know what I don't care, you need some water in you."

I got up and headed down the hall where Sid was stumbling out looking a little worse for wear.
"What's going on?" He mumbled, his voice full of sleep.
"Geno..." I didn't have to say anything else and Sid knew exactly what I was talking about. When I said Geno I meant Oksana.
"Is he ok?" 
"He tried getting into our alcohol again," I sighed and began to head down the stairs with Sid right behind me.

"Shit," he found the empty bottle of Wild Turkey sitting on the floor, "did he? This was a new bottle."
"I know but he wouldn't let it go."
"Megan said she heard someone fighting down here, he didn't hurt you did he."
"Oh no, Geno might be russian and increadably drunk but he would never hit me."
"Ok good, Megan wasn't sure if she was going to have to come down and break it up herself."
"Oh sorry, I didn't know Megan was still here."
"It's ok," he shrugged and dropped the bottle into the bin, "she just doesn't want you getting hurt by him."
"I won't."
"I know, but if he does..."
"You will kill him, I know."
"Not exactly kill him... Ok yes kill him," he smiled like it would be a minor offence if he did.
"Well that isn't going to happen so you can save your fighting for the ice," I taped his head and headed back upstairs armed with a wet cloth, a bottle of water and a bowl.

I found Geno in amongst my blankets and helped him out of jacket so he could get comfortable.
"No you can't lay on your back," I fought with the incredibly drunk and even more stubborn half conscious russian. 
"Geno," I had to man handle him around until I was satisfied that I could leave him where he was and sleep peacefully in the chair in the corner of the room without fear of him choking and dying on me.

"Now here is a bottle of water," I placed it on the bedside dresser, "here's a bowl, if you are going to be sick in here not in my bed and this towel should help," I dabbed his face before placing it on his forehead.

I went to get up but was stopped by his large hand clamping around my wrist.
"Stay," he spoke so quietly I almost didn't hear him.

I realised in that moment as he looked up at me with pleading eyes that I couldn't leave him. He was upset and he would never admit it but feeling insecure. Oksana had wronged him and was leaving, he wouldn't want to see anyone else leave. Poor thing, I wasn't going to leave. Because as stupid and as big of a loser as he is I wasn't going to let him face it on his own. Even if it meant we fought beyond return at least then he would know I tried.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, I hope this turned out for you guys the way it was intended. Geno is a little lost soul but hopefully Cam can help him :)