Status: I will try and update every week :)

Forbidden Sunset

The Party was Horrible

~Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.~
-Martin Luther King, Jr.-

I sat up quickly, cold trickling from my mouth. My eyes went a deathly black, looking for the person who dared pour water on me.

But once I saw Emily, my eyes returned to their normal color. I arch an eyebrow as to say seriously Emily?

“Really Emily? How old are you?” I ask as I get out of bed.

“Older… than.. you.” She manages to say between giggles.

I’m standing right in front of her and she is checking out my 6 pack. I was fit (getting in regular fist fights did that to you.) and I agreed with her. I was hot.

“You really think I’m hot princess?” I ask, knowing that it will embarrass her. I release a small chuckle and walk over to my closet, picking out a shirt.

“I… um… it’s… um” She stutters. “I hate mind readers.” She mentally says. I chuckle.

Just as I was about to my shirt on, it is snatched out of my hand by that little devil.

“Hey! Give that back!” I call after her, but she’s already out of my room. Man, can she ever move fast!

I sprint after her at a human pace, enjoying this cat and mouse game.

“Run, run as fast as you can! You can’t catch me, I’m the Ginger Bread Man!” She hollers at me and I laugh.

I pick up the pace, closing some of the distance between us. She lets out a shriek and turns the corner fast.

I hear a “umpf” sound, so I slow down and walk.

“Sorry.” Emily says softly.

“Sorry doesn’t cover it you stupid, rude bit-” I hear an annoying voice start to say.

“You really wanna finish that sentence?” I ask pulling Emily close to me. For once she doesn’t fight me and I appreciate it.

“Good morning cousin.” Ben starts off. I snort. It was until I saw him. “I see you got a new slave. What is she doing running though the halls like a wild boar?” He demands.

My eyes narrow and my grip tightens on Emily. “None of your concern Ben.” I say, his name is like poison in my mouth. “Now if you don’t mind, I have better things to do than talk to you.” I snap and I drag Emily out of the hallway and away from the egomaniac-idiot.

“Man, do I ever hate that guy.” I curse his name out loud.

“He seems like a jerk. What’s his problem?” Emily questions as we walk into the kitchen.

“He thinks he can do whatever he wants since he is the next in line for the crown, after me of course. His ego is the size of North America.” I answer as we take seats at the smaller dining room table.

A maid places French Toast platter in front of us and I dig in immediately, but Emily stops to thank her.

“I hate to admit it, but I agree. I thought no one was worse than you, but I was wrong.” Emily comments, cutting herself a slice of French Toast.

I nudge her gently and she smiles.

For the past week I have got the privilege of seeing her face light up like the 1st of July. And for once, it was because of me.
  • I took her to the movies. We watched the stupidest movie known to man. Even worse, it was a chick flick.
  • The next day we went roller-skating. She is a klutz with 2 left feet. She manages to trip herself, me and the rest of the people on the floor. But we were laughing the whole time.
  • Then we went golfing. Not my idea, it was my dad’s. And man alive were we ever bored. Then Emily came up with the brilliant idea to aim golf balls at me which ended with us fencing. We got banned for 365 days.
  • We also went swimming. I made Emily wear one of those kiddy life jackets, since I didn’t want to have repeat of what happened at the beach. A few people laughed at her (including me) but it she ignored them and we still had a great time.
  • And to end the week off with a bang, I took her to the carnival. She won a lot of stuffed animals and beat me in almost every game. All I won was a stupid kid sized lollipop.
“Morning you 2. Glad to see you both up and happy.” My mother comments as she walks into the room with a cup of coffee.

Emily returns the greeting, but I skip it and fire a question at my mother. “Mom, what is Ben doing here?!”

My mother sighs. “Morning to you to son. And Ben and his whole family are here for the annual Crystal Light Ball.” She explains calmly stirring her coffee with her finger.

“Mom, you can’t be serious! Ben was about to take Emily’s head off this morning, and she didn’t even do anything! Imagine what he would do if she gave him one sassy remark!” I shout, trying to make my mother see how having that snobby dimwit under out roof was a horrible idea.

“It’s true. Ben did look like he wanted to punish me.” Emily adds.

“Hmmm. I’ll talk to Ben and his parents, informing them of how we treat our slaves. I’ll especially talk to Ben to make sure he doesn’t do anything to hurt Emily.” My mother promises and turns to leave.

But she pauses at the door and says, “And Jake? Put a shirt on.”

Emily breaks into laughter and I snatch my wrinkly shirt out of Emily’s lap and quickly put in on.

“Thanks a lot Em.” I mutter, frowning at the crumpled shirt.

“No problem Jake. I’m always her to give you a helping hand.” She manages to say, then bursts out laughing again.
Image


“So, what’s on the agenda today?” Emily asks as we navigate our ways through the hall.

“It mainly consists of avoiding my obnoxiously annoying cousin and my stressed out parents.” I reply.

The hallways were overly crowded. When my parents said that a few of the vampire families would be staying with us for the weekend, I didn’t know that they invited everyone!

Honestly, I was so thankful Emily and I had already eaten.

“So what is the Crystal Light Ball?” She questions as we step into my room.

“It’s an annual dance where all the vampires of Canada come for the evening. It starts around 6, after supper, and ends at 12. Every vampire who’s anyone goes, any plans you have, cancel them. It is one of the few get-togethers that include the whole race.” I reply simply.

We lie on my bed, staring at the creamy colored ceiling. I was thinking of painting it once.

“Oh, so I’m guessing I have to go?” Em asks, but she doesn’t sound completely mortified like last time.

“Yep. You’ll be my date since I don’t have one.” I respond. Sadly, the Jacob Cameron didn’t have a girl to take to the dance.

“Remember what happened last time I was your date?” She asks.

“Yes. And Ashley won’t be attending.” I say, and I’m actually kind-of glad. I see my date for tonight arch her eyebrow and I explain further.

“She and her family are on a mission trip in Haiti. After what you said she decided to change. She now helps out in an orphanage in Haiti and she runs the volunteer part of a pet shelter in her town. She also ditched her old snotty friends and made new ones.” I say and as soon as I’m done Emily jumps off my bed like someone just struck her with lightning.

“Ha-ha Jacob Cameron! I knew I was right about her! All she needed was a push in the right direction.” She shouts, doing a triumph-in-your-face dance.

I roll my eyes as I hear her think point me.

“Whatever princess. You were right.” I say and surprisingly, it wasn’t that hard to admit. Weird. “I will now come to you first so that you can approve my future girlfriends.” I say, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

Now it is her turn to roll her eyes.

“Hey, before the ball starts, can we head to the game room? I’m dying to play some air hockey.” She begs me.

I’m in.

I get up and in a few quick paces, I’m at the door. “Loser has to admit that the other person in the best air hockey player in the world in front of everyone at the ball.” I challenge.

Emily accepts.

I was so going to win this. Emily sucked at air hockey and I was a pretty good player. This was going to be too easy.

We played.

We laughed.

We had fun.

But somehow she won.

And now the whole world is going to know it.

“You know, I still think you cheated.” I say as we walk towards the dressing room.

There was no possible way she won that. It just wasn’t possible. I was on a roll for a while, but somehow she made a comeback and won.

“Aw, is someone a poor loser? Or just a loser in general?” She teases me in a high annoying (kind-of sounds like Ashley) voice.

I push her lightly into the wall.

“Whatever Em. I want a rematch tomorrow and this time try not to cheat.” I rejoin and push her into the dressing room before she can say anything smart back.

Image


I watch Emily pat down her dress for the 5th time this evening. Personally, I don’t see what she is worried about. It’s just a ball where you have to get all dressed up and dance with other people.

I decided to go with a nice tux and an awesome mask. I’m waiting somewhat patiently with Emily, (at the back. Ugg) but she is a nervous wreck.

“Would you cut that out? You’re going to get sweat all over that new dress.” I hiss into her ear.

Like usual, she has a sassy comeback. “Well sore-ry your Royal Majesty. I have never been to a dance and I’m afraid to mess up. What if I trip on the stairs? Or step on your toe while were dancing? I don’t want to look like a fool!”

“And what about me?” I retort quietly.

She shrugs. “Well that’s your problem.”

I growl inaudibly, wondering when she got so good at comebacks.

A few people move in line and now I can see the tips of the ballroom. Mom and Dad went all out on the 3rd annual ball.

At least we reach the front of the line. “Introducing Prince Jacob and his date, Miss. Emily.” The butler calls.

The people clap louder and I smile. I take Emily’s hand and we slowly walk down the stairs.

Somehow the klutz managed to trip (over air?), but I steady her. I didn’t want her to get hurt plus it would make me look bad.

We reached the centre of the ball and the music started playing. We got into the proper dancing form and slowly started to move back and forth.

Emily started to doubt herself and look down so I gently squeezed her hand and she looked up into my eyes.

“Just keep your eyes glued to mine princess. And everything will be fine, ok?” I whisper loud enough for only her to hear.

She slightly nods and for the rest of the song our eyes just watch each others. It was magical. Wonderful. Unforgettable.

I hardly notice the other dancers that join us, since I’m trapped in Emily’s trance. It’s just her and me. Just us.

The song ends too soon, but I still hold her, never wanting to let go.

Em was the first to pull away to my disappointment. A new song had come on and the dance floor was much more crowded.

“I’m going to get a drink.” She says, lightly removing my hands from her body.

She turns to go and I’m about to walk after her when my best friend Ethan slaps my back and drags me away.

“You’ll never guess what I just did for you!” He says excitably dragging me towards the stage.

“What?” I force enthusiasm into my voice, but you can hardly hear it. Ethan doesn’t seem to notice though.

“I got the Katrina Holt to agree to dance with you! Can you believe it?!” Ethan is way too excited about this whole thing.

Katrina Holt, seriously? Sure she is pretty, cute and rich, but she is also snobby, bossy and stuck up.

When I was younger I used to go for those kind of girls, but that was before…Emily.

I shake my head clear from those thoughts and pull away from Ethan’s tight grip. “Thanks man, I really appreciate it. But I’m going to have to pass.” Ethan looks quite disappointed, so I quickly add, “She’s not really my type, but you have a good shot. She’s single and you 2 would look great together.”

Ethan nods slowly with a smile starting to form. “She is my kind of gal. And you’re right, we would make a pretty sweet couple.” With that said he walks over quickly.

I shake my head with slight smile. He was going to need a lot of luck.

Image


I leaning against the wall watching Emily dance with some guy named Derek. They had been dancing for the past 3 songs and they in a very close potion. A bit too close.

One more joke and she’ll be mine. The charmer thought and a look of evil flashed onto his face, but it disappeared as quickly as it had come. There was no way Emily saw it and I had talk to Emily.

I rapidly made my way over there and tapped Emily on the shoulder. I knew my face wasn’t exactly pleasant but neither was the situation.

“Mind if I borrow her for a second?” I ask, my teeth clasped together. He shrugs and I drag Emily away to a quiet corner of the room.

“What the heck do you think you are doing?! I was having a nice time until you decided to pull me away. I am allowed to have fun you know!” She hissed at me angrily.

For a second I wanted to slap her, but that need vanished fast.

“I just want you to be careful, that’s all. There are some creepy vampires in this kingdom, and I don’t want you to get hurt, okay?” I reply with deep concern.

I wasn’t about to tell her about Derek, I could be wrong. But I was going to keep an eye on him, just in case.

Her annoyance evaporates and she lightly pats me on the shoulder. “Thanks, but I can look out for myself. Besides, it’s not like I’m talking to Ben.” Her eyes widen and she quickly looks left and right. “Speaking of him, have you seen him?”

I realized that I hadn’t either. Which was weird since the past balls he has been glued to my side annoying me.

“Nope. But I’m going to go look for him right now.” I say and walk off. I glance behind me to see Emily walk off to, and I know she is going to go find Derek.

I sigh, now I was going to be keeping an eye on 3 people.
Image


I don’t have to look very hard since Ben is the only one wearing a white tux. When he turns I see that he is wearing a black mask.

“Oh, hello there cousin. Might I offer you a drink? The animal blood-punch is horrid but the human blood wine is pretty good.” He says in his English accent.

I sigh and take the drink, knowing that he won’t shut-up until I take it. I take a huge sip and cringe after-word. It was nasty!

“What did you put in this? Sewer water?” I ask, stetting in down on the table and coughing.

“Of course not dear cousin. Why would I want to hurt you?” Ben says. I’m too busy coughing to say anything back. “Anyway, I have people to meet and places to be so ta-ta.” He waves and walks off.

I glare at my cousin’s retreating figure at grab the cup of the weird liquid. I find a trash can and throw it out.

I spin on my heel and walk towards the centre of the ball, looking for Emily. It was getting close the dinner part of the evening and Em would have to accompany me.

I can’t seem to find her, after looking everywhere, so I mentally search for her mind. I come up blank.

I search for Derek and there is also nothing.

In my fit of panic I look for Ben, who might be with them. Nada, no Ben.

I’m freaking out, there is no way Emily would have left without telling me first. Or at least sending me a mind message. And a good date would have let her tell me something.

Which all concluded to one thing.

Derek had Emily against her will and somehow Ben was connected.

I jog out of the ballroom, desperate to find Emily in time.

But every step gets more painful and I feel like my body is being lit on fire and my bones are grinding into each-other. Only after making it a few metres from the ballroom, I have to stop and take a break.

I put my hand firm against the wall, using it for support. “What the heck did Ben put in my drink!” I think angrily as I slowly walk down the hall.

Jake! Jake, please I need your help! Derek is trying to rape me. I don’t know exactly where we are, but were 3 hallways from the ballroom!” The message hits me hard and fast.

I look up determined, adrenaline pumping painfully though my veins. This wasn’t about me anymore. This was about Emily and her safely.

I hop-step over to hallway B, her message played through my head again and again. The closer I get, the louder her voice begging for help gets.

Just as I enter hallway where I know she is, I collapse unable to take another step. My eyelids open and close slowly and I see 2 dark figures in front of me, blocking my view of the door.

“Emily!” I groan, barely awake. “I’m so sorry. So……sorry.”

With that the darkness claims me.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, you finally know who raped Emily. For more information on Ben, look at the character tab.

Sorry for the late update, but I hoped you enjoyed the chapter! :)

Thanks for reading and please comment.! :)