‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

"What's going On?"

CS 12 “What’s Going On?”

I’d have thought that the worst sound in the world was a crying baby. But a crying dog is almost as bad. I’ve tried consoling Hairy ever since we got into the house around 3am. The poor little dog is beside herself. I have tried but she just sits staring out the window and whimpering. Sam gave up and put in some earplugs a while ago. Lego hasn’t come back yet and it’s close to 730am. I wonder if anyone is up yet. Most of the adults left the reception shortly after Sid and Tylyn. I was having way too much fun to leave. Luke and Braden walked me back up to the farmhouse before they went home. Totally worth every minute.

‘It’s gonna be okay, Hairy. They’re coming back for you.’ I rub her ears and get a handful of dog hair for my efforts. She’s so stressed. Hairy yawns and stretches probably not from being tired but more signs of stress. She picks up her red satin heart and shakes it. ’Let’s go downstairs and see if we can get a cup of coffee.’

I pull Hairy off her perch on the window seat and guide her down the attic stairs. I was hoping for reasonably quiet but Hairy’s crying the whole way. I tiptoe along the hallway to the top of the main staircase. I can smell coffee brewing. Thank God! In the kitchen Rosalie is mixing something in a huge bowl. She’s dressed in jeans and a baggy sweatshirt.

‘Good morning’ I say.

‘Good morning, Taylor. You’re up earlier than I would have expected.’ Rosalie looks tired too. ‘Did you get any sleep?’

‘Not really. Hairy’s pretty upset.’ And for added effect Hairy whimpers again. ‘Is the coffee ready yet?’

‘Sure help yourself. I’m sorry Hairy kept you awake. She’s a drama girl that’s for sure.’ Rosalie holds out a mug for me. ’Thanks for all your help this weekend. It’s been appreciated more than you’ll ever know.’

‘You’re welcome. I have had fun. It’s been a great weekend.’ I can’t believe that I’ve said those words. ‘Your family is really nice.’

‘Can I give you a free piece of advice?’ I nod as Rosalie grins. ‘Beware of the Hylkema handsome. Years ago I talked my parents into letting me stay in residence during my first year at UBC. On my very first weekend party, I saw this tall handsome blonde boy. He smiled at me and that was the end of my plans for a wild and crazy semester. 32 years later my knees still go weak when he smiles at me.’

‘Hylkema handsome. I’ll keep that in mind.’ The coffee tastes as good as it smells. ‘What are you making?’

‘These are going to be pancakes. I think people are going to need some comfort food this morning. If you want, Taylor, maybe you could come back for a visit this summer. Maybe Stephanie Lemieux could come as well. The attic will be empty. I’m sure we could find you something to do. You seems to be good with animals maybe you’d be interested in helping out with the petting farm.’

‘I like animals. I’ve thought about becoming a vet.’ I’m definitely going to try to come back for a visit. Steph or no Steph. ‘I’ll keep in mind. Thanks for the invite. Can I help?’

‘Yes you can. It’s now turned 8am. Do you have your phone on you? Yes. Then take a picture of the quiche on the cooling rack and send it to Penguin with the caption. Breakfast Pie? That will get him moving. You people need to be leaving here around 1130 to make the airport so the plane can leave on time. It’s at least an hour’s drive up from Victoria. Plus I don’t think Hairy’s going to last much longer.’ Rosalie kneels down to pet Hairy. ‘ I don’t know how you do it, Hairy girl. How does one 9-pound dog shed 20 pounds of fur? I haven’t seen anyone this unhappy since Tylyn came home from Madrona last summer.’

….
Taymae: Breakfast Pie?

HckyBt: I call dibs. We’re only about 10 minutes away.

Taymae: Better hurray. It tastes good.

Hckybt: GRRRRRRRRRLLLLLL.

……

From:> Samwise88@Shaw.ca<

Hey just to let you know I’ve drown yet another phone. Surprise, surprise, Blackberries don’t float. I swear that mine leapt off the dock at Cowichan Bay. Lego and I were having some Udder’s Guy Ice Cream (Roasted coconut two scoops) when it decided to take the plunge. I think that I’m personally going to be responsible for Blackberries’ financial recovery. I’ve decided not to replace it until I get to London. So will be doing this old school for a while. Email is so last century. Haha.

Mom and I leave for all points eastward tomorrow. We’ve decided to drive my stuff to Ontario. It’s weird having my life packed into 4 boxes and 3 suitcases. At least this time it’s for 2 1/2 years. It will be fun sightseeing and visiting relatives with her. It will be good to get some time alone with just us. I hadn’t realized how much I missed hanging with her.

How did Hairy make out on the flight back? How’s the lifestyle of the rich and very famous? Better yet. How’s married life? Is it wild and crazy sex all the time or what? (I’m jealous, you know that right???)

I’ll be checking my email daily so keep in touch. Also if you can send me some contact #’s that would be great so when I actually get on the grid again I can actually contact the outside world.

Luv ya, babe. Smacks
Sam.

……

From > Frodo@DragonflyFarms.ca<

Hey Sam.

Oh my god not again. You must have the record for losing, destroying and or killing phones. What is this number 7? Sheesh I’m amazed that they Blackberry is struggling with you out there supporting them. I’ve attached all the numbers I have. Please note that I’ve sent the list to your mom as well in case you kill your laptop. Anything is possible in your world.

To answer your questions, Hairy as you know was a wreck when we left for the airport. She whimpered most of the way there on my lap. She was good about being in the pet carrier until the plane took off. When the engines powered up, she barked and growled. It was like she thought the plane was growling at her. It was pretty funny. 87 took her out of her carrier when the plane leveled out then all three of us slept the rest of the way. 87 is a great pillow. I snuggled on one shoulder and Hairy had his other side. It made for a very “quick” 6 hour flight. I don’t think any of us had much sleep the night before. (imagine what you want it probably happened. Be jealous I don’t care! Insert a sated sigh right here. )

We’ve spent the past few days settling in. Hairy has calmed down once we unpacked our stuff and found homes for everything. The condo has a huge patio that over looks the confluence of the two rivers. 87 and Troy made Hairy play area on one side complete with doghouse with a rooftop lounge area so she can see over the railing, a kiddie wading pool and a patch of grass. Yes and actual patch of grass 5 feet by 6 feet. 87 calls it her loo. So far she hasn’t been in the pool as the weather has been cool and rainy but the birds sure love it. Hairy is constantly on bird patrol. She may not swim in her pool but she’s not letting the birds use it either. I think that Hairy’s going to like condo life.

As for me? I love being here hanging in 87’s world. On Monday after his practice/workout, 87 and I went to the bank to sort out a credit card and a bank account for me, then to the DVM to get a driver’s license. I have to take another driver’s test. EEK. Then 87 surprised me by taking me to get a new car. I thought that I’d just drive his Rover if I needed something. But no he pulled in to a local dealer and there sitting on the lot were three different Evoques by Range Rover that I could choose from. I choose the pretty grey one. He had it loaded with all the options. Hairy and I even got to go on a course this weekend to learn how to drive it. I can put it into 4 wheel drive and climb it up over rocks, through mud, sand, ford a stream and everything. 87 said that there was no point in having a Rover unless I knew how to drive it. It was fun getting her stuck in the mud and then winching her out. Of course, Pittsburgh’s a city so I don’t exactly know when I’ll need this skill but…. It was very fun.

87 flew off to Philly yesterday with the team. Losing games one and two here at home was brutal. Flower seems really rattled. Heck the whole team is rattled. It’s like the Flyers have their number. The media attention has been amazing. Of course 87 is dying to get in there and play. Dr Kapoor finally signed off that so he can play in game three. Thank God. The team needs him, and he needs to play. Ray and Dan think that they can pull this out. I’ve been studying Dan’s system. It’s complicate at best. I think it’s fine for the regular season but with the new guys only having a few weeks to learn it, the learning curve could be steep. I’m going out the watch the game tonight at The Kunitz’s place with a bunch of the other gals. ( don’t worry I’ll be on the phone with Gerry.)

I see that the Canucks have tied series. Not bad. But they are going to have to work hard to get by Blue Jackets. The Jackets don’t seem to know that they are supposed to lose. Caleb keeps texting crap at me. So don’t bother.

Better go. I want to go for a run before the rain starts up again.

Farewell wherever you fare, till your homies receive you at the journey's end.
~Frodo

ps.. Remember to keep the truck between the white and yellow lines.

…..

‘Tell Mama we’re fine, Gerry. The rain is bad and there is lots of flooding around. Kuni’s wife canceled the potluck tonight because of the flooding. She didn’t want anyone out driving. Hairy and I are safe and sound in the penthouse. It’s at the top of a very tall building.’ We are actually in the media room as the rain pounds down on Pittsburgh.

Hairy and I had a short run today as we got soaked pretty quickly. The weather guy said that the rain and winds were going to increase over night. I’m used to rain growing up on the west coast of Canada but the rain is falling like buckets not drops. It is supposed to be a record breaking day since Hurricane Ivan dropped nearly 6 inches of rain in one day. I’m watching the ROOT TV feed for tonight’s game, I have my old cell going so I can talk to Gerry but still text with Ray on my iPhone. I thought once 87 and I were out in the open, life would be less complicated but not so much.

‘The storm won’t hurt you will it? Rosie says it’s going to get nasty there.’ Gerry’s heavy voice booms through the phone to me. ‘What if the roof leaks?’

‘It won’t leak. It’s a pretty new building. We’re totally safe. Look the national anthems are going to start.’ I try and distract him.

‘Why does that guy keep saying that the Pens have dug themselves a hole? It’s not like they’ve lost the series yet? There are more games to play right?’

‘Yeah, at least two more, Gerry. But the team has to win to tonight. It’s very hard to come back from 3-0 lead. I’m sure if you ask Dad he’ll tell you. It’s very hard.’ I watch as the camera pans across the audience. They are standing as the flags are raised. ‘The crowd looks wild.’

‘Sid and the boys will change that soon enough.’ He says with a cackle. ‘Flower gonna be in goal tonight?’

‘I’m pretty sure.’ Actually there has been lots of discussion in the media about Flower losing his confidence. ‘But it’s Dan’s decision so we’ll just have to wait and see.’

‘Here comes the opening face off and this is the start of whipping Flyer butts.’ Gerry is always so optimistic. ‘Sid’ll set the tone of the game.’

But he doesn’t. In fact he loses that first face off. I know that he can’t see the puck that well with the new face shield that was made for him. It blocks the view of his feet. By the time the first period ends the score is 2-0 for the Flyers and even Gerry’s optimism is waning.

RShero: Now what!

I’m not sure if that is a question or a statement.

Chkaddd: Win face offs. Get Jussi to take as many as possible. He wins the most.

The second period starts with the Flyers on a power play. Flower is beat by a soft shot on his glove side.

‘Time for Flower to go?’ Gerry asks.

‘Yes, I think so. There is no point in demoralizing him. Vokoun has had a few solid games. And it can’t get any worse.’ Actually I believe it can but don’t want to voice this out loud. That would be tempting the hockey gods.

Sure enough at the next stoppage of play Flower goes to the bench and Vokoun skates out to replace him. I can see him talking to the D’men. He’s an odd duck but then most goalies are. Thomas doesn’t look like a hockey player in fact he is often mistaken for being a bus driver but he knows his role and his craft. He’s building up confidence in the D’men. Minutes later in the game, Giroux and his winger get behind the D and Vokoun stops them cold with a brilliant save. 10:19 left in the 2nd period. This could be winnable yet.

Jussi has been taking all the face offs then exiting leaving the rest of the game to the regular lines. Murray passes the puck up to 87’s feet. This is a set play but I know he is struggling to see the puck. Somehow he catches it on his skate blade and moves it up to his stick, dekes around Schenn to give a blind pass to Duper. It’s now 3-1.

‘That’s it. That’s the first.’ Gerry yells in my ear.

I watch as they celebrate on the ice. From then on it’s basically a repeat of game they played over Thanksgiving. 87 has taken charge. The passes to him are crisp so he can find them and he takes every opportunity to change the score from 3-0 to 5-3. Ray only texted once more just before the end of the third. ?Better?

I agreed with him better.

.......

Chkaddd: Good game.

Hckybt:Thx only 15 more to go.

Chkaddd: How’s the mood in Philly??

Hckybt: Remember the riot of ’11 in YVR?

Chkaddd: Yeppers. Ugly.

Hckybt: I have 1 more interview. Talk 2moro.TZ

Chkaddd: TZ XXXXXX

……

The ringing phone startles me awake. I bark to warn Alpha.

‘Hello? Mario? Is every thing okay?’ She says groggily ‘Oh my god.’

It’s so dark out that when she turns on the light it is blinding. I wander out of my bed in the closet to see what is going on. She isn’t saying anything just listening into the phone. Her hand is waving. I sniff the edge of the bed hoping for an invite up. Alpha isn’t paying attention to me. She’s just sitting there waving her hand.

‘Okay, I’ll be ready.’ She says. Tears have started to flow out of her eyes. I whimper again to get her attention. ‘What about Hairy?’

What about Hairy? What does she mean what about Hairy? I watch her face as she listens again. WHAT ABOUT HAIRY!

‘Okay, we can be ready in 20 minutes. You’re sure he’s gonna be okay?’ Who’s okay? Why do we have to be ready? Who is we? WHAT IS GOING ON?

I set my front paws on the bed so I can see what is happening. Alpha is still listening on her phone tears stream down her face. This doesn’t look good.

‘I know. We’ll be there. Please text me the address for the airport so I can put it into my GPS. Thanks for calling Mario.’ Alpha taps the bed in front of her to invite me up. With one bound I’m on the big bed, I wiggle my way on to her lap for a hug and to kiss her. ‘Hairy, we don’t have much time. We have to pack. Go get me blankie.’

Blankie? I look at her. Taking Blankie places means we are going for a sleep over. Why doesn’t anyone think to tell the dog what’s happening?

‘Hairy, if you want to come you better go get Blankie.’ I leap off the bed, run across to the closet to get my favorite blanket from my crate. Alpha’s not far behind pulling out her bag and my new soft carrier. Because she’s still crying, I whimper. ‘He’s going to be okay. Mario said he’s going to be okay. Good girl, now get me ball. Hairy focus ball.’

I look around the room. I was playing with my ball earlier this evening. I am trying to focus. But who is he? And what is going on??? No one tells the dog anything!