‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Date Night

CS 17 Date night
‘What the hell is going on! Jesus fucking Christ, do the ref’s have eyes? Can they not see what’s going on? Holy mother of all shit.’ My husband seems to have blown a gasket. ’This is fucking shit if I’ve ever seen fucking shit.’

I look up from the hand sewing in my lap. The TV screen should be showing a hockey game in progress but another fight has broken out. The players on the ice are circling each other or holding on to a member of the opposite team. It’s been a long game and the rate it is going this could be a long series. The Habs are winning this opening game by a score of 4 to 1. It is now toward the end of the second period and at hour three according to my watch. The camera pans the players’ faces. No one is enjoying this game. The Habs players are tense. The Penguins are angry. The referees are scrambling to keep order. There are questionable calls in every game. This game has had some of the worse officiating I’ve ever seen. Trust me as I’ve watched a lot of hockey as a wife of a hockey player, team owner and mom to three players.

‘I’m calling Bettman about this. I want an explanation. The league fucking needs to explain how obvious slashes and hooks are not called on the Canadiens and yet a legit hit is called for being a headshot. This is bullshit.’ I watch as Mario fingers his phone.

‘You should wait until the end of the game, cherie to see the out come. Perhaps …’ I words are cut off before I’ve even formed them.

‘I’ll wait to tally up a litany of mistakes by those ref’s but for nothing else. That slash on Flower was just wrong. Cook was right to come to his defense. You don’t touch the goalie. That Subban was itching for a fight. He’s been at everyone this game. That’s why he took a swipe at Flower. Now look at this mess. It’ll be game suspensions.’ He looks at his phone in his hand as it bleeps. ‘Ray says that there is going to set up a conference call after this mess is cleared up.’

‘Good. You should let him do his job. Ray’s a smart man. He’ll know how to deal with this.’ But he’s not the one I’m concerned about. Sid is just back to playing and for most of his ice time guys have been taking cheap shots at him. So far he has kept his temper but he must be feeling it. Geno’s shoulder has been bothering him again. I know that was part of the reason that he saw limited time in the Philly series. And Marc Andre is distracted because Vero is due to deliver their first born any day now. ‘Just let them get through this game without any serious injuries that’s all I ask.’

The final score was 5 to 2 but the penalties and game misconducts have wracked up a huge body toll and not just in Montreal…. Mario looks like he’s aged 10 years in one evening.

………

The weight of my sports bag is pulling at my shoulder while I try and wheel my heavy suitcase as I walk along the busy street. I can feel the sweat running down my back. I guess I should have taken a cab but I’ve been so cooped up studying for this winter it feels great to actually get physical. I stop and adjust the strap on my shoulder to help relieve the pressure. I check my phone again for directions. Sam’s place shouldn’t be too far away on King St.

Lego10: nearing the land o’ hobbit.

Samwise: Hooray! I am coming out to find you.

I laugh at Sam’s excitement. My brief visit with Frodo and Ernie at New Years and then at their wedding just made me miss my friends more. So when Sam asked me to help her with this clinic I couldn’t resist even if it was helping the competition. It will be great to spend a few days with Sam before I head west for the summer. I’ve been so busy studying this winter that I haven’t spent much time enjoying life.

‘LEEGGOO!’ My name is screamed from a doorway not far up the street. Sam bounds down the stairs and runs full tilt at me. ‘LLEEGGOOO!’

Sam’s hug engulfs me even though I’m probably 5 or 6 inches taller than her. I can feel her arms tighten around me and tears sliding down my face. I’m an emotional puddle.

‘Hey, elves don’t cry. They don’t show any emotion. You must be exhausted. Come on up to my place. I’ve bought us lots of food.’ Trust a hobbit to always be thinking of their stomachs. ‘We’ll have a good old gab session.’

Sam lifts my heavy sports bag off my shoulder and leads the way up the few houses to where she is staying. I feel an immense relief just being here with her. Just listening to her babble about last night’s Penguin’s/Habs debacle calms me down.

‘The officiating was total crap the Pens didn’t have a chance in that game. Fleury didn’t help them out by being a sieve and letting in the 5 goals. The whole thing was rubbish. I heard on the news this morning that the league is going to review some of the footage but it’s not going to change what happened. A loss is a loss.’

‘You’re rooting for the Pens now?’ I tease my good friend.

‘Yeah, as my favorite eastern team.’ Sam tosses her red gold ponytail saucily. ‘Don’t you worry, I was cheering for the Canucks but they got swept. So now the field is wide open. Just as long as those nasty Blackhawks don’t win I’ll be good. Plus I’m supporting Frodo.’

‘That was an after thought. I’m supporting Frodo. ‘ I mock her. It feels great to feel like me again not some down trodden study drone.

‘Up the stairs, I’m on the second floor to the right.’ Sam takes the stairs two at a time her ponytail bounces in front of me. ‘And don’t give me that cheek because I know one Penguin that you’re fond of.’

‘Okay I admit it. I do like one Penguin.’ I race up the stairs behind her in my heels. ‘Happy Feet!’

‘Oh is that what you’re calling him now.’ Sam cracks back at me.

This causes Sam to crack up. She has crashed through a door to our right, dropped my bag on the floor and has landed in a heap of chuckles on a couch. The room is moderately sized painted all in off white with medium hardwood floors and white cupboards and appliances in the small kitchen to our left. The apartment faces the back of the building over looking a green space that has big maple trees coming into leaf. To my right, a hallway leads down to three doors. I suspect one it a bedroom, a bathroom and maybe a closet. It’s a cosy space. The furnishings are sparse but comfy.

‘Welcome to my corner of this shire. It’s not much but it’s home for the next couple of years.’ Sam spreads open her arms and waves them around as she talks. ‘Mom has ordered a few more pieces of furniture that should be delivered next week. Ikea is amazing. This couch folds out into a bed and that chair becomes lounge. I didn’t really want so much stuff but now that it’s here this place is feeling more like home.’

‘It’s lovely. You should have seen where I’ve been living for the past three years. I’ve literally had a single bed and a desk. One kettle, a bodum and a small fridge. This is palatial. ‘ I am jealous.

‘It’s more expensive than I wanted but I’m beyond sharing five to a place anymore. Last winter did me in. I was constantly cold, lonely despite being surrounded by people and cramped. I just want some space to call my own.’ I knew Sam wasn’t as happy as she made out she was in Scotland. ‘I’ll think about a roommate but it would have to the right person.’

‘Do you have space for a roomie?’ I ask knowing that when Sam spoke to me about staying with her that I’d be sleeping on the fold out couch.

‘Oh yeah, it has a second bedroom. But it doesn’t have any furniture. That’s why I thought that you could sleep on this couch. We can move the chair into the spare room if you’d like some privacy.’ She looks at me earnestly.

‘No, this is fine. I’ve slept in worse places. Don’t you remember when we were billeted in Cuba?’ And I truly have. ‘So tell me the plan for this clinic.’

‘It will start on Friday evening. I’m having registration close on Thursday so we will know how many girls are going to be there. I’ve listed it for only elite players to limit the field. So far we have about 20 girls between the ages of 16 and 20. A couple of the players from the Marauders are going to help out as well.’ Sam has left the couch and has brought me a beer from the fridge. ‘Do you have any plans until Friday?’

‘Hmmm, other than sleep you mean?’ I joke. ‘Well, I’ve an interview at the medical faculty. I put in a late application. That’s tomorrow morning then really nothing.’

‘What!’ Sam looks stunned. ‘You’ve applied to medical school here and you didn’t tell me!’

‘I’m telling you now. I didn’t think that I’d get an interview. I applied really late. They only called me a couple of days ago.’ My voice fades as I talk.

‘You can come live with me, here.’ Sam emphasizes. ‘Here.’

‘I haven’t got a position yet. I haven’t even done the interview yet Sam. I don’t want to jump any guns.’

‘Here, you’ll stay here with me. We’ll have great fun. Frodo is only about a 4-½ hour drive away. Your dad is only a couple of hours that a way.’ Sam is flapping her arms yet again. ‘It will be great.’

My phone honks a message at me.

Biznasty2point0: Going out a date tonight. See instagram.

‘What was that rude noise?’ Sam asks.

‘Biz just texted.’ I reply as I log into my instagram account. It shows a picture of Biz all decked out in super skinny jeans, a tight grey t-shirt under a short jean jacket. He’s look very seriously at the camera. The caption is dressed for a first date. My heart sinks a bit. I know that Biz and I are just casual friends but it still hurts a bit that he’s going on a date. The screen shows a new picture has been down loaded. I tap the screen. It shows a picture of Hairy all brushed, fluffy and wearing her pink bejeweled harness. My date’s a real dog. I crack up.

‘What? What? Is he still sending you rude pictures?’ Sam is curious.

‘No, look at these.’ I show Sam my phone.

‘Frodo was telling me that she bet Biz that the Habs were going to win their round one series and he had to babysit Hairy when he lost. I guess this is his babysitting night. Ha look at Hairy she’s so happy.’ Sam tells me. ‘Text him back and tell him she’s a real bitch.’

‘Good one.’ I tap the screen of my phone to send the message. ‘Talking about date nights, have you heard from Mike?’

‘Hmm, not for a while.’ Sam’s cagey.

‘Not since you lost your phone, huhn?’

‘No, it was the one number that Frodo didn’t have. Actually, no one had. And this is a new number to me. So…’

‘So just ask her to tell you. I bet Squidward would tell you Mike’s number or give him your new number.’ It seems so obvious to me.

‘I know but after the whole Richard thing from last year. I’m not chasing boys. They can get old fashioned and chase me.’ She sounds indignant.

‘And Mike would if he only had your number you idiot.’ I text Frodo to ask her to get Squidward to text Mike Sam’s new phone number. Sheesh people lets keep the love going.

‘If it’s meant to be then it will happen.’

‘That’s so lame.’ I call Sam on her crap. ‘You’ve moved half way across the country. You told me it was only a 41/2-hour drive to get to Pittsburgh from here. I think you’re hoping that Mike calls.’

‘Actually, I was hoping to be closer to Frodo and for Frodo to come here for visits but I’ll not look down at a tall, dark handsome guy if he chooses to call me.’

‘Right then. As long as we are on the same page then.’ I concur with her. ‘Now about that food you were talking about. If we’re going on a date tonight Samwise Gamgee, I better have some food before I get drunk.’

……

‘Let me take another one Biz.’ TK is grabbing at my phone. ‘One with a caption my life has gone to the dogs.’

‘Okay, let me pick Hairy up.’ I reach down and pick up the little dog. She’s a sweet girly little thing. Not my style at all for a dog. But she’s got sass in her. I started growling at her a few days ago in the locker room. Just for fun. I put on my meanest game face and growled at her. Hairy for all of being out weighed by me by probably 190lbs growled right back at me. You can tell she knows it’s a game. We’re sizing each other up. I look into Hairy’s eyes and give her my best tough guy look. She curls back her lips and growls deep in her chest. TK snaps a couple of photos and then just as he does Hairy tries to lick my nose. I burst out laughing.

‘Hey you that’s not part of this game. There is no kissing in fighting!’ I laugh at her. Hairy licks me again. I give her a gentle tussle. ‘Let me see that TK.’

I post the first photo of Hairy and I growling at each other. It’s great for a little dog she sure looks fierce. I caption it with Lauren’s comment of my new girl is a real bee-ach. I’ll wait to post the second photo of Hairy trying to kiss me later. I’ll have to think of something about make up sex.

‘Come on, guys. Let’s head out our dinner reservations are for 7pm.’ I’ve found a place that lets service dogs in so Hairy can join us for dinner. I’m going to tell them that Hairy’s is on my security detail.

The restaurant is a steak house not far from the hotel. It has several TV’s around the room showing the Ducks vs Hawks game from the west coast. Crankshaft, Tk, Smacker, Nealer, Juicy and I have all placed our orders. Hairy is sitting under the table playing with some chew toys.

‘So where do we sit with game suspensions for tomorrow’s game?’ Smacker asks.

‘I know Cookie and I are gone for two games each.’ TK answers him. ‘I don’t know about Joey V or Orpik.’

‘They just got game misconducts. They can play tomorrow.’ Juicy tells him. ‘Coach said that at tomorrow’s skate that lines are going to be adjusted again.’

‘Which coach?’ poses Crankshaft. Plates of steaming food are set in front of each one of us. Hairy puts her head between my legs and is sniffing the smell of my steak. I cut her a small piece of meat. Her eyes bulge out of her head and she gobbles it up.

‘Tony. I am pretty sure that they were all in meetings all day today. Tygyrl said as much when I collected Hairy.’ I ruffle her ears as I say her name. ‘She was saying that first thing tomorrow morning we are having a team meeting.’

‘Oh great. More video.’ Groans TK.

‘Maybe video but I bet it will have to do with the league stepping in about the officiating. So Tony called this meeting?’ Crankshaft seems to be looking for confirmation.

‘Yeah, but I don’t really know why?’ Juicy has picked up on the big guy’s line of thought.

‘I’d be happy if it was Todd or Tony. Tylyn as a coach scares me.’ He gives a halfhearted laugh.

‘Scares you? She’s like two feet tall?’ I’m shocked.

‘I know what he means.’ Nealer answers. ‘Geno and I talked about this during the Philly series. She scares us by believing we are capable of better play than we are. She looks at you with total expectation that you are going to be better. It’s a whole believe in yourself thing. Biz, you know what I mean, right?’

‘Yeah I guess. We know it was her plan to play three lines of grinders during those last few games in Philly. She has total trust that you will play a first line game even when you don’t have any game at all.’ I cut another small bit of steak for the begging eyes under the tablecloth between my legs.

‘That’s it. That’s what I find scary. She believes that we all come with Sid’s skill and mind set. It’s very hard to let her down.’ The big Dane talks. ‘To not be a better player when she asks you.’

‘I know what you mean. Tygyrl put her hand on my arm and asked me to win face-offs in game 4 as a grinder…. I mean how do you say no to that? How do you do less than your best when you see her faith and trust in you?’ Juicy shakes his head. ‘If she asks we will all put our lives on the line for her. Not just Sid but everyone she asks.’

‘You do get it. I like her a lot. I just don’t ever want to see her disappointed in me.’ Murray stops eating and looks at us all. ‘I’ve had lots of coaches in my life but she’s the only one so far that has faith in me to be a better player than I am. That’s what scares me.’

‘Crank, we are all in the same boat here.’ I raise my glass to him across the table. ‘Here’s to being a better player and the coach to get us through to final.’

‘Here, here’ second Nealer as he sips from his beer. ‘Here here from Geno too.’

…..

‘What’s the plan for the morning meeting? Are they talking about adjusting the lines again?’ I ask.

‘Only minor adjustments. Cookie and TK are in the press box. Smacker and Beau will take their places like we’ve been running. No it’s more about calming the team down. No retaliation stuff.’ 91 and I are seated in a window of a fancy restaurant not far from the hotel. When I made the reservations this morning, I asked specifically to be sat in the window. I want all of Canada to see us together. I want to draw attention to us. So far only a couple of people have stopped and asked me for a photo or autograph. It’s been kinda weird. It’s like now that I’m with my wife, we are given some privacy.

‘Makes sense. I know none of us really want another game like the last one.’ I have ordered lots of food and a separate plate for 91. I cut her a piece from the half chicken roasted with dried fruits and olives. ‘Try this. It is really good. Can you make this some time?’

‘I could try it looks simple enough just some apricots, prunes, figs, olives maybe rosemary garlic stewed in white wine? Could you take a picture for me?’ She tastes the piece of meat that I’ve given her.

‘Sure.’ I snap a photo then label it Chicken recipe. ‘Dad was asking today what the fallout was going to be. I told him about the two game suspensions and that the league is threatening tougher sanctions for retaliation. Tony is lucky he didn’t get thrown out of the game the other night.’

‘Yeah, it was hard not to rise to the taunts. Maybe the Islanders would have been the better choice to play.’ 91 looks regretful.

‘Don’t cave now. Playing the Habs has gotten us this date, Mrs. Chickadee. Free puppy sitting and I intend to enjoy myself.’ I tease her.

‘I’m not caving. I still think that this series is winnable. We just have to adjust to their game and beat them at it.’ 91’s blue eyes sparkle at me. ‘And come to think about this Sherwood Hockeypuck, this is really only our fourth actual date.’

‘No it’s not….’

‘Oh yes it is. There was the dinner at your club in December that was the first one. Then maybe the dinner at the All Star weekend. The third was Valentine’s Day. That makes this one number four.’ She is counting on her fingers.

‘What about my trip to visit you in Vancouver last autumn? Doesn’t that count as a date?’

‘No ‘cause we didn’t go out. See this is a date. We are out here together just us.’ Oh yeah she’s giving me slitty eyes. ‘A date Sherwood Hockeypuck, an official date means just us out enjoying each others company.’

‘So our runs through the park are not dates? What about our ice time? Are those not considered dates?’ I push for clarification. ‘What about when we stopped for yoghurt after picking up your Evoque?’

‘Not dates. Oh I really enjoyed all of those times. But those are not real dates. This is a real date. Dinner and a movie. That’s a date. Not stopping on the way home to get yoghurt. That is a treat not a date. A date is a specific time. Running in the park is just that a run through the park. This is a real date. Ask Biz he knows what I mean.’

‘You’re getting your dating information from Biz? Really, are you serious?’ I crack up at how serious my wife is taking this conversation.

‘Oh yes, check out his instagram account. See look at the pictures of Hairy’s date with Biz. See there he is all dressed up. There is Hairy in her girly harness. Then look he has treated her to a huge steak bone with the caption. Giving my bitch a huge bone-r. Okay that’s kind of suggestive but maybe you should think about it.’ 91 taps at her phone.

‘You’re on, 91. Eat up because Hairy is going to be done her date and evidently there are standards to be met.’ I give her a challenging look.

‘Yippee, I am a lucky girl a movie, dinner, and a tumble through the sheets. What more could a girl ask for?’ She tackles her plate with fresh gusto.

‘A win tomorrow night?’ I ask.

‘That’s a given. We will win.’ She says with absolute confidence I don’t feel.

‘We will?’

‘Oh yes, we will win. Because I have plans for taking you on a date in New York in a couple of weeks.’ I am not following her logic.

‘New York? When are we going to New York?’

‘We will win this round and the Rags will trash the Senators so we will meet them in Round three.’ She says this like it is a done deal. We will win this series and the Rangers will beat the Senators. 91 says this with complete confidence.

‘So our next date will be in New York? In about three weeks?’ I ask in amazement. I wonder if the guys have any idea of her plans for the team. I wonder if Tony, Todd, and Billy have a clue about any of this. Hell I know Ray and his boys don’t have this plan yet.

‘Yes, it will be my treat. I’m thinking a nice Broadway show.’ She gestures at me to eat up. ‘ You’re not eating? I thought we are going for the wild and crazy shower sex before Hairy gets back to the room?’

‘Right forgot the plan.’ I start hoovering the food on the plate in front of me. ‘I really am the Captain of the remedial team. How could I forget about wild and crazy shower sex?’

‘I know. I’m totally worried for you.’ I get another dose of slitty eyes.

……

‘Good morning, folks. It’s a beautiful spring morning in here in the ‘Burgh and you’re listening to the X 105.9 FM on your radio dial.’ The announcer is nauseatingly happy. ‘ And the boys are back in town this morning and that was Thin Lizzy from way back in 1976. Yes, yinzers the boys eked one out in Montreal last night. They held on to win by one goal. Vokoun stonewalled ‘em. The Defense left nothing to chance and the lone goal by our first line guys. As the sports media was saying last night, it weren’t pretty folks but we’ll take it.’

‘Yeah, I couldn’t believe that last five minutes of play. The scrambling in front of Vokoun was incredible but he made every save and gave up no rebounds. This was Pittsburgh hockey at it’s finest folks. What did you think, Dave?’ The tenor voice asks.

‘You know, we’ve talked about it here over the past couple of weeks. I said on air that when Coach Dan was assaulted then hospitalized that they were done. I said they were done when Mario the Le Magnifique appointed some gal to be the interim head coach. I said that it was the end of the season for our boys in Black. But they stepped up to the plate, to use a baseball metaphor and knocked the Phillies out of the playoffs.’ The first voice gives us a rundown. ‘Then after game one in Montreal I said it was going to be a dismal round. But not so. They adjusted their play and controlled last night’s game. It was truly great hockey to watch. I can’t wait for our first game of hockey in this town in nearly three weeks. The Consol Energy arena is ready to go, the flood damage is all but a memory and we the fans are primed and ready. We are ready to welcome back home our Pittsburgh Penguins.’

‘So you’re telling me that the Kid has returned.’

‘No, I’m telling you that the Kids have returned. Sid our Kid got married over Easter. And like all prospective in laws, we as a community have been worried about this girl is who has captured our boy’s eye. But I think that Mrs. Kid has shown her mettle as it were. She’s proved that she’s knows her hockey. So I’m challenging all of Pittsburgh to roll out a warm welcome for her.’

This gives me an idea. Tylyn hasn’t been formally introduced to the city of Pittsburgh. Maybe it’s time that she was. I have arranged interviews for Tylyn with the sports media about hockey but not as a person or as Sid’s wife. Maybe we should take this just a bit further. I reach for my phone and dial. I gather my thoughts while the phone rings then goes to a message answering service.

‘Hello this is Jennifer Bullano of the Penguins. I am hoping to talk to you about setting up an interview with our interim head coach. You know my number. I expect I’ll hear from you soon.’

I lay back on the pillows. My mind is tumbling with possibilities despite my body being absolutely exhausted. Interviews? What about TV appearances? Maybe PensTV could do a spot? I look at the clock. It is just after 8 am. I’ll go through the shower then call Sid and Tylyn. I think that we should give Tylyn a real Yinzer welcome to our fair city.