‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Keep Calm....

CS 32 Keep Calm and…..

I rub my ankle. It’s back to throbbing again. It’s been a long couple of days since we played the guys on the wet field hockey field out in Allegheny. I tripped and ended up crashing into to Bortuzzo towards the end of the game. It’s the only time I can think of that I might have twisted it. It was a bit sore at the time but not bad. Then later after the game 6, the guys wanted to go out and celebrate the win. With the girls of course. And my teammates weren’t being left behind. Mario had arranged that the girls came to the game. They may not be Penguins fans but like Lego they are dead set against another Blackhawk team winning the cup.

Most of my teammates flew home the afternoon after the game. I had hoped that Sam, Merry and Pip could stay longer but it just wasn’t possible. It was a blast seeing them and playing again. I’m always amazed when we are apart for long periods how easy it is to find our rhythm. It was tic tac toe passing for us. The guys didn’t have a chance with the bigger playing surface and more bodies on the field. That and we girls were merciless. I had so much fun. I know that 87 was sure flying high during the game. He wasn’t taking this lying down. When we are in Vancouver during the summer, I’ll see if we can get a few fun games organized.

‘Tylyn? You ready?’ Jennifer breaks my train of thought. ‘Take a deep breathe girl. This is the last time you have to do this.’

‘Really? Won’t I have a post game? What about the press in Pit when we return?’ Win or lose today the season ends tonight. This I know.

‘Okay, you’re right. This is your last pre game. This is the last time you’ll be asked to explain the plan. Not that the plan has changed much since the beginning. You’ll have a post game for sure. And then depending on the out come.’

‘Don’t say it! Don’t say it Jen. I don’t want anything to jinx the game. We do as we always do. We review the game plan. We do the presser and then… God willing. We put our best effort forward.’ I say with more confidence than I feel.

‘Okay the game plan is set. Win face offs, finish checks, keep calm and score goals.’
Jen laughs at me. We’ve been distilling our preps into a mantra. ‘Did you get a hold of your Mom?’

‘Mama? Oh yes. She wanted to hear all about my visit with Mrs. Obama. She was just as shocked as I was about my being asked to sit on a commission for good health strategies for young women. Who knew that anyone but hockey nuts watched my interviews? Oh well it doesn’t start until the autumn. She also explained why Gerry hasn’t been returning my texts. Seems that he’s been busy with our local press.’ I smile thinking about just how excited he has been with each win we have had. ‘Is Tony or Todd going to do the in game interview? Or do you want me to take that?’

‘Actually, Billy said he wanted it. I think that it’s Ray Ferraro between the benches tonight and Billy is going to shoot the shit with him.’ Jen is playing with her phone. ‘Hold still Tylyn. Can I tweet out a picture of you pregame sitting there with your feet up looking all calm and collected?’

‘Sure. I don’t feel like it but I’ve been taught to put a game face on by a master!’ I laugh and tip my chair back, fold my arms behind my head and put my feet on the desk. Then I grin at her. ‘This is it. My best Mario impression!’

Jen snaps the photo and fiddles with her phone. I hear mine swoosh an alert. Then again, and again. I lift it up to see what is happening. There have been already lots of retweets and likes. Then my bubble gum pink phone jangles.

‘Hello?’ I answer.

‘Hey what’s that shit all about. You’re best Mario impression. I’ll have you know that you are not even close.’ Dan is killing himself laughing. ‘Don’t make our job look too easy girl or every hockey buff will think he can do it.’

‘As I said to Jen just now. I’ve learned from a master, not you of course but a master.’ I tease him. ‘Do you have any advice, Dan?’

‘Nope. This is the big one. It’s too late to tweak anything now. Just relax and enjoy the game. How’s the mood in the room?’

‘Pretty loose. I thought that I’d go in and thank the guys for such a great ride. What do you think?’ I’m still debating this. Normally, Todd or Tony does the pre game in the room.

‘Good. Bring it back to the basics Tygyrl. Just like that practice in Cali. The basics.’ He pauses for a moment. ‘You’ve done a good job, ‘Gyrl. I’ll be hard pressed next year to match your success.’

‘It’s a team effort but you know it. Thanks Dan. I appreciate your support. Enjoy the game from the Box. Next game is yours from behind the bench. I’ll be the one in the box.’

‘Good Luck. Tylyn. Good Game. I’m rooting for us so Mayor Ravens???? Has to give you that meeting he promised you.’ I wish I felt as confident as he sounds. ‘Hey I bet Jen is chomping at the bit for you to get to the pre game. Raze her for me, okay?’

‘I will. I promise. Thanks for the support. I’ll see later. Bye then.’ I hang up. This is real. Now. I can feel my heart racing.

‘What are you thinking? Your face just went nine shades of pale.’ Jen looks a bit worried as well. ‘You okay?’
‘Just that this is real now. This is it. Every Hockey kids dream. This is game seven of the Stanley Cup Final. This is really it.’ The words explode out of my mouth.

‘Hold it together, girlfriend. We have one more game face presser to do before you can show your real emotions. You’re going to be a duck right. Keep calm and serene on top of the water for all to see. Right?’

‘Right.’ I reply but even I don’t believe it.

******
@JoshYohe: Highlights from Coach Crosby’s Pre game. One more win. I said 15 wins not 14. Need a hot goalie. (we’ve got two) Need for strong defensive and forwards that score. And we need to believe in ourselves

******
I am just too old for this. I really am. I have lived my life around big games and tough situations. But this game has been one for the records. I look at my watch. I should be exhausted but if anything I feel exhilarated. I look down at the ice. There is a TV timeout.

‘Shit Mario. I thought that it couldn’t be much better than that last Rangers game. But this is going to put fans in seats around the league. Holy shit. The whole season is coming down to one game. And mostly like one period. Maybe even one shift. Hollywood couldn’t have scripted this better if they tried.’ Dan Bylsma is propped up beside me watching the game.

From the moment that the first puck was dropped this has been an emotional roller coaster of a game. The Chicago fans have been on their feet screaming. Well except when we’ve scored. ( heh, heh.) The boys came out looking a bit shaky. Nervous. Geno lifted his stick and we were forced to kill off the penalty. Then tempers got short and we were at four on four for two minutes with out a goal. That seemed to settle the boys down a bit. And for the rest of the period, it was pretty much a 200-foot game.

Sharp set up Kane midway way through the second for the ‘Hawks first tally. I think it was deflected on Nisky’s skate. Flower didn’t have a chance. But Tygyrl called them in during a TV time out. I don’t know what was said but it sure worked. Neal was able to one time one by Crawford with only minutes left in the second. There was some good work behind the dots in both ends by both teams. I can feel my body ache just watching the heavy hits being laid out.

The third period started at even strength, even on the scoreboard and even more intense. Chicago scored on a soft goal when Bickell was driven into the net and right over top of Flower. It should have been called as goalie interference but it wasn’t. I mean so far the officiating hasn’t been too bad tonight but they missed that one. BIG TIME. I’m not saying that because I’m the owner of the team but really. When the goalie has to be helped off the ice! It’s just crap. Tempers flared again and when the dust settled. We came up short handed for four minutes. Vokoun went into the cage with 14 minutes left. It wasn’t a pretty four minutes either. And despite huge effort by the Czech, the Hawks got their third goal just before the time expired in the penalty. I felt deflated. Like the air had been knocked out of me. We had done so well up until this point. I figured that our bench would have used their timeout to regroup. But when I looked over the rim, Tylyn was off her riser and talking to the fourth line. She was kneeling on the bench between the big men. Her hands were flapping around. Jeez, I was glad I’m up here. We are down by two goals with 6 minutes left to go. It’s going to take a huge effort to win this thing now.

‘What’s going on at the bench? I can’t see from this angle.’ Dan is trying to peer over the side of the rail.

‘Tygyrl’s yapping at the fourth liners. Tony is pacing and Todd has the board out with the on ice guys.’ I answer.

‘Two goals. We need two.’ Dan fumbles his phone and taps at the screen. I watch his face as his concentrates while he types.

‘You’re not going to offer advice are you?’ Ray Shero my general manager steps up to the railing of our press box. He sets his coffee on the ledge in front of him. ‘Just let them do their thing.’

‘Hey didn’t you say that last fall. When dipshit here wanted to go watch Sid and the ‘Gyrl on the ice out at the Ice Castle?’ Dan razzes Ray. ‘Hey we were right to go watch. I believe that has got us to this moment.’

‘What I’m saying is let her work.’ Ray adjusts his glasses so he can read a text message. ‘She wants to know if to know if Seabrook and Hjarmarlsson are pinching in? Can you see that Mario?’

‘A bit on the left side. They have been most of the season….but I don’t know why that matters.’ But both Dan and Ray laughing cut me off.

‘Oh mon ami, if she thinks it matters then it matters.’ Dan laughs as Ray texts. ‘For a hockey smart guy, you need to let go.’

The teams line up at the dot just outside our blue line. The ‘Hawks are pressing our net but the blue liners are holding. On the next shift, Adams, Vitale and Engelland jump on into to play. They are not the fastest group of guys but they have got chemistry. Engelland starts the play by trapping Hossa on the boards with the puck. Adams is there to receive the kicked out puck. He taps it over to Vitale who starts up the ice.
‘Here it comes. Here comes the our first goal to tie this game up.’ Dan’s face is all confidence. ‘Watch this. This is the Tygyrl at work. It will be tic to Addsy, tac to Engelland and Joey V will toe the puck past Crawford.’

And that’s exactly what happened. Our bench explodes with 4 minutes in the third to play. My phone tings.

Tygyrl91: Thanks for the eyes in the sky.

SuperMario: Bienvenue

The crowd in the stands starts another cheer and waves their towels. I look over at my companions. Both men are smiling. We have 4 minutes to get one goal to tie this game.

‘Bets on who gets it?’ Dan offers a challenge.

‘Gets what? The tying goal or the game winner?’ I ask.

‘Well let’s start with the tying goal. My buck is on Sid. She’ll ask Sid.’ Dan pulls a greenback from his wallet.

‘That’s so obvious. Not Sid. I’m taking Geno’s line.’ Ray has his money out.

‘You can’t take a line you have to take a player. I’m taking Geno to Nealer… so I’ve got Nealer.’ I qualify.

‘I say she calls on Sid, and Dan’s called Sid so I’ll say it will be Kuni. Sid will set up Kuni.’ Ray looks over the edge of the railing. ‘See she’s talking to the forwards.’

I breathe deep. We have less than 4 minutes now to tie the game. The game battles on the ice. I watch as Vokoun stops some hard shots for Hossa and Toews. There is a scramble in front of our net. But the clock winds down to 2 minutes with no goals from either side. I can feel the game slipping away from us. We just need one big goal right now. Murray levels a big hit onto Sharp and flips the puck up to Jokinen. Jussi has Neal with him as they cross the centerline. Geno splits the between Brookbank and Leddy calls for the puck and the crowd goes silent. Crawford has crumpled to the ice looking behind him. The goal light is flashing red and our bench erupts on to the ice. 18 seconds left in the game and Geno ties the score. 18 fucking seconds. I don’t think my heart can take much more of this stress.

‘Shit that was close and not one of us took Geno. Shit. Okay next goal?’ Ray asks.

‘Sid.’ Dan stays with our golden boy.

‘Sid.’ I know when the chips are on the line.
‘Okay we all want Sid but… we can’t bet then.’ Ray taps his phone. ‘When? Before the end of the this period or when?’

‘There isn’t enough time in this period. No, I’m putting my money on the first two minutes of OT.’ Dan speaks up. ‘Ray?’

‘Hmmm, you’re probably right. But to make this a contest I’ll go for the first OT but after the 2-minute marker. Mario, what say you?’

I look down to the ice. The fans are on their feet yelling and waving their towels. Quenneville has called a timeout. Players from both benches are crowded around their coaches. The face off will be at center ice. 18 seconds. I think…18 seconds.

‘I’m going with the direct quote.’ I say. Dan and Ray look at me confused. ‘This ends here now.’

‘You think 18 seconds is time enough?’

‘This ends here now. You heard the Tygyrl. This ends here now.’ As the players line up at center ice, I can feel my heart beating in my chest. ‘This men is a trust and believe exercise. We trusted our hockey season to a girl and now we just have to believe in her.’

I don’t watch the ice. I watch the clock count down from 18, 17, 16, 15, 14,13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 and silence. Then the room around me explodes in noise. My two friends grip me in a hug. The crowd is silent.

‘Fuck that was a beauty. Sid from a crappy angle from behind the right side of the net. Shit is was a replay of his goal of 2010. Holy shit. Did you see that coming? How did you see that coming?’ the voices all run together. I can’t make out who is talking. I just know that the pressure is now over. I shake hands with everyone around me. I’m being slapped on the back. Our season is over but not done.

‘YOU OWE ME .’ I yell at Dan and Ray.

‘NO, MARIO YOU OWE ME FOR GETTING WOUNDED BACK IN PHILLIE.’ Dan has tears running down his face. I know I we all do. Dan took one for the team.

I look out on to the ice 7 seconds left until the buzzer. A calm comes over me. The teams line up at center ice for the last time. Toews against Sutter. It doesn’t matter now. The clock winds down, the buzzer sounds and our bench empties out on to the ice to for the celebrations. Keep calm and celebrate hard.

****

I’m not complaining. Really I’m not but when the dog pile landed on me, it hurt. Shit 20 guys averaging 200lbs each lands on top of you. It hurts. Duper was closest to me and we hugged as the goal light went on. Then Kuni came in and then the dog pile happened. The crowd is politely clapping. The arena staff is laying out the red carpet to roll out the cup. The Hawks line up at center ice. I finally get to my feet to skate over to the bench. Billy, Tony and Todd are each congratulating players. I can’t see 91 for the bodies.

‘Come on Sid.’ Flower says as he walks on to the ice. He’s changed out of his skates in to runners. He’s already wearing a ball cap that says 2013 Stanley Cup Champions. ‘She’s fine. Biz has got her. We better get through this line up.’

I shake the hands as we go. First Crawford then, Hossa, and through the team to Jonny.

‘Good game, Squid. If we were going to get beat. I’m glad it was by you guys. Your run has been great this year.’ People just don’t give Jonny enough credit.

‘Thanks, thanks. It’s been a run for the books. I see you in Calgary for the Olympic tryouts in August?’ I ask. But we both know that we’ll be there.

‘Sure. I’ll be there. Just remember to bring your greatest asset with you.’

‘What?’ The crowd is loud enough so I think that I misheard him. ‘You want me to bring my ass?’

‘No, you are an ass. No bring your best asset. Your wife. ‘ Jonny laughs. ‘I hear that the Russians are quaking in their boots thinking she might be a coach for our team.’

’91? She’s a keeper.’ I look back behind me where Biz and Murray are flanking her through the line up. ‘I kinda do hope that Yzerman calls her. She’s…..’

‘Formidable?’ Hossa has joined our conversation.

‘She scary mean.’ Geno adds. ‘Tylyn no allowed in Russia. EVER!’

‘Ever?’ I ask .

‘Never ever if she play or coach hockey. She can come to visit. Maybe but no hockey.’ Geno sounds very serious. ‘She show Russian women they can talk hockey. It be bad for all us guys. Very bad.’

I crack up.

‘See Sid our national secret weapon.’ Jonny is laughing. ‘Go get your trophy. It’ll be our next year.’

Bettman and the Stanley Cup are waiting at the side of the ice. I turn to see 91 waiting for me. She is vibrating with excitement. I hold my arms out to catch her. My body is exhausted from the game, the matches and the whole playoff season. My face hurts from smiling or being roughed up again. I don’t know. But this is probably the best that I’ve ever felt. 91 lands in my arms. Her cold nose is tucked in under my chin. Her arms are tight around my neck. Her perfume wafts into my nose blended from the sweat of my gear.

This is ….. more amazing than scoring any goal or winning any medal or trophy. I don’t know where life will take us but I do know that I am holding my life in my arms. But I think, keep calm and live life to the fullest.

‘Ever lifted a cup above your head 91?’

‘No.’ she looks at me with her bright blue eyes.

‘Well, lets go. I think Mr Bettman will let you have a chance.’