‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Trade Winds

CS 7 The Trade Winds

‘Juss Jokin-en Around’ by J Yoshie Trib Sports Reporter.

The Penguins returned late yesterday night after posting their 6 win in 7 games. The only dark moment was the loss of both Evgeni Malkin and James Neal to injuries. The swing through western Canada seems to have buoyed the spirits of the players as well as their place in the standings. With the four wins on the road, the Pens are solidly in 7th place in the Eastern conference and second behind the Flyers in the Atlantic Division.

New team members Brendan Morrow and Douglas Murray are due to practice with the team later today. But Ray Shero, general manager for the Penguins operation has been back at it again. This time adding veteran face-off specialist, Jussi Jokinen from the Carolina Hurricanes for a pair of draft picks.

‘We feel that with the injuries to Malkin and Neal that we should add some depth up the center of the ice. Jussi has lots of experience in a variety of roles. What he brings with him in his body of work are his face offs.’ Shero told reporters. ‘I have hopes that Jussi will be here to play on the weekend.’

When asked about further deals in the ofting before the trade deadline on February 27th, Shero just smiled and said ‘No comment.’

…………….

Between the vibrating and the ringtone, I startled by my phone. It’s Mom. I can tell by the ringtone. I dig the phone out of my bag and put it to my ear.

‘Hi Mom.’ I step into a doorway to get out of the wind. I’ve just left practice and my hair is wet from my shower. ‘How’s everything?’

‘Great, great. I’ve just been wondering about you, Taylor? You’re done your practice for tonight? Did it go well?’

‘Yeah, it was fine. I’m just crossing the common to the dorms. I need to collect a couple of books for study hall tonight.’ I move out of the shelter and walk to towards my dorm. ‘I’m supposed to be reading adaptation of Shakespeare’s play “Macbeth”.’

‘Sounds a bit dry if you ask me?’ I can hear Mom rattling dishes over the phone.

‘It’s not bad. Could be worse, I guess. How’s Pappy? Is his cold gone?’ I love my grandfather and know that one day he will not be here any more.

‘He’s better. The doctor gave him some antibiotics. Pappy’s not the best patient. His colour is coming back and he’s not coughing quite so much. How did you do on your essay? The history one about Louisiana Purchase?’

‘Pretty good. An 89. No one got over 90 so I’m happy. I’ve another due next week on the War of 1812. I’m hoping to do better on it. Mr Dahl has handed out the criteria sheet already so I’m prepping tonight.’

‘I thought you just said you were reading Shakespeare?’

‘I can only read that old English stuff for so long before my mind rots. So I thought I’d start prepping for my next essay. What’s up at home? When does Dad leave for PIT?’ I know dad usually spends some of the winter months in Pittsburgh watching Sid play hockey. Dad likes to go when there is a string of home games. As the Penguins have just returned from an 4 game road trip, Dad should be there.

‘He flew in to catch the game Saturday evening. I don’t expect him home for a couple of weeks. Your Dad will come home just before Tylyn goes in the middle of March.’ Hmmm, I wondered when this conversation was going to turn to Tylyn, the WEDDING and whatever.

‘Huhnh.’ I answer. I wait for why Mom really called me. I open the door to the dorm and hike up the stairs to my room on the second floor. I pass various teammates and friends as I go. I smile and give them a wave.

‘I was wondering if you’ve given any thought to being a bridesmaid?’ Mom asks.

‘Huhnh.’ Of course I have. Tylyn asked me in January before she left Pittsburgh to return to Vancouver but I haven’t answered yet. I don’t really want to but I can’t think of a way out of it. I mean really. I’d rather be tortured than have to get all dolled up to stand around and smile all day long when I’d rather be roasted alive.

‘You have to give an answer soon, Tay. One way or the other. The Hylkema family is busy making plans and arrangements. They need to know. I know that Tylyn has arranged to have a friend of hers make all the dresses. You’ll have to send measurements and choose a style of dress. Or not.’ I just knew Mom didn’t just call to chat.

‘I will Mom. I’ll call her.’ I roll my eyes at my roommate, Megan. I find the History textbook I’m looking for and put into my “Crosby” bag that I got for Christmas. ‘I’m busy here with school and hockey.’

‘I understand but how long does it take to make a 5 minute call?’ Mom can be sooo annoying. ‘Taylor Mae, you were warming up to Tylyn?’

‘It’s not that Mom.’ But it so is. Like okay marry my brother but nobody says we have to be besties for life. I won’t cross her if she stays out of my way.

‘Well it sounds like it from this end.’ I hear Mom exhale long and slow. That is usually not a good sound. It’s like the calm before the storm. Mom lets off steam just before she blasts you. ‘No, sweetheart. This is your life. I am not going to get involved. Just realize now that no action is a form of action.’

‘What does that mean? No action is an action?’

‘By doing nothing, you are actually actively avoiding doing something. So you don’t answer Tylyn. That’s the do nothing in this scenario. Then the actual action is you are left out of the wedding party of your only sibling. It will be recorded forever. No Taylor in any of the photos. People will remember that beautiful day but where was Taylor? They can’t remember that. Was she even there to support her brother?’

‘I get it. You want me to say yes.’ I feel defeated.

‘No, I want you to make an active choice. If the answer is no thank you, to Tylyn then be an adult and call her. If it is yes then call her with the yes. But leaving it so long reflects poorly on you.‘ That’s a mom voice.

‘Okay, I’ll call her. But not tonight I have studying to do.’

‘Thank you, Taylor. I think no matter what your decision you’ll feel better for just having made it.’ I love these pearls of wisdom Mom comes up with. ‘ Love you, good luck on you next essay.’

‘I love you too Mom.’ I do but sometimes she drives me to the edge.

……………..

I roll over as my radio turns on to wake me up. It’s early Monday morning and I should be bounding out of bed to get ready for school. But it’s another damp rainy day on the west coast according to the announcer.

‘Good morning, Vancouver, it’s another rainy 6 degrees this morning. The forecaster has yet to find any sunshine in our week ahead. Unlike for the Pittsburgh Penguins who landed a really big fish last night.’ The morning guy says rather smugly. ‘We’ll tell you who after the break.’

The Pens have landed a big fish? This brings me fully awake.

‘What big fish?’ I say to the radio. Hairy is stretches and comes over to the side of my bed to see whom I’m talking too. She gives me a nudge with her nose. ‘Hairy, did you hear that the Pens have landed a big fish. Ray didn’t mention anything to me in our last conversation. I thought he was all done.’

Hairy looks at me blankly. I don’t blame her really. I mean I am discussing hockey with a dog. The radio is playing commercials for Clearly Contacts, then Granville Island Brewery and finally the lottery before they play the next song. I can’t tell you what song because I was too busy scrambling around the room to find my phone to check the Pens website. Hairy must think I’m nuts because she’s sitting inside her crate looking worried.

‘It’s okay Hairy. I just want to see what went on last night.’ I try to calm her down. I guess I should start with me.

I finally plug in my phone to charge it and find a text from 87.

Hckybt: Iggie’s coming to play here.

IGGIE? Really? I whoop. Jerome Iginla is a national hero when it comes to Canadian Hockey. He has been the mainstay of the Calgary Flames for like forever. He was a line mate of 87’s in the Olympics. I wonder what Ray had do to make that happen.

Chkaddd: Whoot! Whoop! When does he start??

87 is probably as over the moon as I am. What a coup for the Penguins as last night when I went to bed it sounded like Iggie was headed to the Boston Bruins. I bustle about getting ready for my morning. I toss Hairy’s ball for her each time I go by her crate. She keeps well away from the bathroom, as I’m sure she thinks I’ll bath her if she gets too close. I keep waiting for a response from 87. It’s not like him to not text right back first thing in my morning. Maybe he’s busy with interviews.

Hairy and I go down the stairs from our attic room into the kitchen. Caleb and Noah are seated at the table eating. I peel a banana to put in the blender for my morning smoothie. Hairy is under the table cruising for scraps.

‘Bet you’re pretty happy this morning?’ My cousin, Noah looks so grumpy at his bowl of cereal.

‘Yep, we’re on the way to the cup.’ I chirp him. ‘What have you got?’

‘Well at the moment the Canucks are second in the over all standings and the Pens are what? 14th? I wouldn’t get too cocky just yet.’ Caleb is my brother but not a Pens fan at all.

‘I’m not cocky, Caleb. I’m confident. There’s a difference.’ I smile at him.

I hear a slap shot from my pocket.

Hckybt: Iggie to play on Thurs against Isles. Media here crazy. I’ll call tonight. Tz

’87 says Iggie will play for them on Thursday against the Isles.’ I turn on the blender so I drown out whatever comments they were going to make. My next call will be to Gerry so we can do a happy dance.

……

Taymae: I can come to watch Iggie against the Isles?

Hckybt: Sure if you have nothing on Friday. What does Mom say?

Taymae: I’m all caught up on homework. My team has a bye.

Hckybt: Great. I’ll send a ticket. Can you leave school at noon?

Taymae: Absolutely. See you in two days. Which sweater?

Hckybt: dark blue alternate jersey.

Taymae: NOOO! Those things are cursed. NOOOO.

Hckybt: League rules we have to wear em. It will be fine.

Taymae: ☹

………

I am fingering the sample invitation to the wedding that Sid sent us. It’s beautiful. Simple, elegant and sweet all in one. The square linen card stock is embossed with two overlapping daisies located just off center to the lower right hand side of the card. I open the invite and read the words again.

Pieter and Rosalie Hylkema

Troy and Trina Crosby

Invite you to join in the marriage ceremony of

Tylyn Marie and Sidney Patrick

6 April 2013 4pm

at Francis Xavier Rectory in Mill Bay BC.

Reception to follow at Dragonfly Farms.

So far these are the only details I know for sure. Sid did say that he’d be wearing his favorite blue suit. Taylor has been asked to be a bridesmaid but beyond that nothing. I look at my phone on the coffee table. I know Sid said to call Rosalie Hylkema but I feel odd doing it. We’ve never actually met. I look at the invite again. Sid is a detail-oriented guy but this wedding is not a priority at the moment. It’s hockey season. Tylyn for all that she’s sweet and kind is on the other side of the country wrapped up in her own world. It’s just over 5 weeks until the wedding and I’m dying to know details. I look at the clock and do the time deference calculations in my head. 1030am PT. So I dial.

‘Dragonfly Farms, Melissa speaking?’ Says a bright young voice at the other end of the phone.

‘Sorry, I thought I dialed The Hylkema residence.’ I scramble.

‘Oh Rosalie probably forwarded the phone here. Who did you want to talk to? Maybe I can transfer your call in their direction.’

‘Rosalie if it’s not too much trouble.’ Dragonfly must be a bigger operation than I thought.

‘Sure. Just a sec.’ I hear faint music in the back ground before…

‘Rosalie Hylkema, how may I help you?’ It’s Tylyn’s soft voice only a few years older. The sound reassures me.

‘Rosalie, it’s Trina Crosby here. I hope that this isn’t a bad time to call?’

‘No, no it’s perfect. Let me close the office door. I’ve just sat down with a cup of tea to look over some arrangements.’ It sounds like she’s stretching as her voice gets distant for just a moment. ‘That’s better. How can I help you?’

‘I don’t want to be a bother but I was wondering about some of the details for the kids’ wedding?’ I feel so lame.

‘Sure shoot what would you like to know?’

‘Anything really. Sid sent us a sample of the invitation. It’s beautiful. But that’s all we really know. Other than Sid’s wearing his favorite suit and Taylor’s been asked to be a bride’s maid.’ I fumble.

‘I’m sorry Trina. I thought Tylyn was keeping you up to speed. Sorry my mistake. I love my girl but she’s a terrible communicator. Where shall I start? Are you near a computer?’

‘Yes, I’ve my iPad right here.’ I lift it on to my lap.

‘Okay give me your email address and I’ll send you some photos while we chat.’ I give her my email and turn on my iPad. ‘You should be getting some photos from Tylyn’s dress fitting last week. My Mum and I are also having dresses made by Kurtis. So the first photo is of the Church. It’s our family church. Fortunately, it sits about 12O people other wise Tylyn would be inviting half the country. As it is she’s sent out invites for 137 people. If she had her druthers they’d be getting married outside in the orchard. The trees should be in bloom at that point. But one can’t guarantee the weather here on the Wet coast in early April. It’s still a possibility at this point.’

I scroll through the photos as Rosalie keeps talking. I can see the old Church with an orchard of fruit trees beside it. It looks so rustic and homey. In the distance I can see the graveyard. It makes me think of beginnings and endings all in the same picture.

‘Sid’s organized through the Penguins to have a plane to fly he and guests from Pittsburgh here to Victoria on the Thursday evening Friday morning. There will be a rehearsal on Friday afternoon. I thought there should be a dinner that night for the families and wedding party but Tylyn thinks that the young people are going off to do their own thing. The girls are going in one direction the guys in the other. Most of the guests, I think, are going to be staying in Victoria. We have lots of nephews so they will be acting as designated drivers. Also Sid suggested a bus. The reception is going to be at the big barn here on the farm. It’s where we had Tylyn’s birthday bash last fall. The ladies from the farm store are going to cater so that’s taken care of… am I going to fast? Do you have any questions?’

‘It sounds like you’ve got things under control.’ I reply.

‘Well then I should win an Oscar. I don’t feel like anything is under control. Tylyn likes things simple. So we’ve been working at keeping things simple. She’s chosen to have spring flowers for her bouquet and for table dressings. The church will be filled with daffs, tulips, hyacinths, and freesia in vases to be moved over to the barn for the evening. And as for decorating the barn, I’m leaving that up to Tylyn and her friends.’ Rosalie pauses ‘Trina, Pieter and I do hope that you, Troy and Taylor will stay here with us on the farm. Please feel free to come whenever you like. We’d love to get to know you. We have several small cottages that are going to be available for guests.’

‘Rosalie, that’s so kind. I know that Troy will be in PIT just before the wedding. Taylor is playing in a hockey tourney in San Jose the Easter weekend. She should be on a break from school after that until the April 8th. I always go support her teams. Troy would too but he’s got season tickets to the Pens. She and I could fly up after the tourney. Maybe spend a day or two in Vancouver before coming over.’ I plan.

‘Tylyn, should be coming here after her visit to Sid’s mid March. I know we are going over for a dress fitting around the 26th of March. Tylyn’s bridesmaids, Kendra and Lauren will be home by then. If you and Taylor are available it would be lovely to have you join us for some girly time.’ I know where Tylyn gets her kindness from; Rosalie seems to know just what to say.

‘Rosalie, that’s so kind. I’m so sorry that Taylor hasn’t answered Tylyn yet. I’ve tried pushing her but she’s just got this silly mad on….’ I don’t know how to continue.

‘You don’t have to explain it to me. Piet and I’ve raised 4 boys. They were easy. Just fill them full of food and point them in the direction of action and they were good to go. Tylyn on the other hand.’ Rosalie sighs ‘ Trina, I love my daughter I truly do but of all my children she has been the most difficult. She’s stubborn, and pigheaded. She truly walks to her own tune. She’s great at sports but lousy at communicating. She thinks everything will always turn out great but have no plan on how to make it happen. If she doesn’t like some thing she just avoids it. So when Micah and Asher our two oldest brought home girlfriends Tylyn just ignored them. She was so rude to the girls. It was like they didn’t exist to Tylyn.’

‘That sounds so familiar. Taylor hid away from the family for most of Christmas. I don’t know what happened. I thought that the girls were starting to get along after Christmas a bit and then Taylor pulls this stunt. I’m so sorry I don’t know what to tell you.’

‘Trina, don’t worry. I know exactly what you’re going through. Tylyn and I have had a chat about what if Taylor says yes. Then a third grooms man will step in or if she says no then the grooms men will just be Sid’s friend Mike and some guy named Biz.’ My heart catches in my throat.

‘Sid’s asked Mike to be a grooms man?’ I ask.

‘Yes, didn’t he tell you? Mike’s to be his best man.’

‘That’s the best news of the day. Mike and Sid have been best of friends for years. They had a falling out in December. They must have worked out their differences. Is Mike’s girlfriend Amy coming out too, do you know?’

‘Let me check the return invites, Mike Chaisson…. no it looks like he ticked only himself.’ I can hear Rosalie typing on her computer.

‘It doesn’t matter as long as Mike is there. That’s good news to me. I didn’t like thinking that he and Sid weren’t getting along. They’ve been friends too long not to try and work things out.’ I smile.

I’ve been scrolling through the pictures in the emails that Rosalie has sent. The pictures are of the farm, the church, flower arrangements, guest cottages and the last one of Tylyn’s dress. It’s a simple A line dress scoop neck, sleeveless with box pleats, fitted through the bust falling just below her knee. The fabric is made up of large and small daisies attached to each other at the ends of the petals. The material looks gauzy, light and fresh. The centers of each big daisy is coloured a very pale soft yellow. It’s same as the wedding invitation.

…..

The rain has not let up for days and because of that the lower field is a small lake. It the rain doesn’t stop soon I’m going to stock it with trout. I’m walking up towards the house from the barns. Buster, my old black lab, is plodding along at my side. My brother Gerry knocked off early today as he always does when his beloved Penguins are playing. I look at my watch. It is 651pm. Rosalie is going to be working late at the farm store tonight so I decided to go over to Gerry’s cabin to cheer for whichever team is playing the Pens just to bug him a bit.

The little cabin is situated in a stand of big old fir trees just south of the main house by maybe 200 feet. We had it built for Gerry when he wanted his independence from us. I didn’t blame him. Rosalie and I had 6 kids at the time that made for a lot of noise and confusion in the big house. As I get closer to the cabin, I hear loud rock and roll music blasting out of the walls. I frown to myself. Gerry only plays his music this loud when he’s angry about something. I wonder if the Pens are being trounced. Gerry was pretty excited about tonight’s game. It’s Jerome Iginla’s first game with the Pens.

I walk up to the door and have to pound very hard to get a response from him.

‘Hey, Gerry. Open up. ‘ I pound on the door again. If he doesn’t answer soon I let myself in. The door isn’t locked but we respect Gerry’s privacy. ‘Everything okay in there?’

Gerry opens the door a crack. He’s wearing a scowl on his face. His hair is a mess like he’s been running his hands through it repeatedly.

‘WHAT YOU WANT, PIET?’ He yells at me.

‘I heard the music and just want to know if everything is okay?’ I yell back at him. But he doesn’t reply. He slams the door instead. Not good then. I debate for a minute or two my next action. I text Tylyn as I know the pair of them watch every Pens game together. I wait for her response. Nothing. HMMMMM. So I go in. Gerry’s still got his TV on with the game playing but he’s not watching it. I cross over to the stereo and adjust the volume down so we can talk.

‘Tell me what’s going on, Gere? I can’t help if I don’t know what the problem is?’ I ask him.

‘ASK TYLYN.’ He yells at me.

‘I tried that already but she hasn’t got back to me yet. You two were watching the game together right?’ I start again.

‘YEAH, LIKE ALWAYS.’ Gerry’s still shouting.

I look at the TV screen. There is only less than 3 minutes on the clock. Pens 2 vs Isles 0. Not bad… not worth this kind of emotion.

‘So you and Tylyn were watching the game and talking on the phone like you always do….’ I lead Gerry along.

‘YEAH, THEN SHE HUNG UP ON ME. SHE HUNG UP ON ME. I EVEN CALLED HER BACK BUT SHE WON’T ANSWER.’ Gerry is getting all red in the face.

‘That’s not like Tylyn is it? Something must have happened Gerry. Did she say anything before she hung up?’ I try again.

‘She said Sid. She just said SID.’ I’m listening to Gerry but I’m watching a replay on the TV. Orpik is blasting the puck toward the net but it ricochets off a stick and Sid falls face down on to the ice. I turn the volume up on the TV. Sid took a puck to the jaw. The slo mo shows the puck hitting him on the lower right side of his face. I can see two teeth fly out of his mouth. Blood pours out of his mouth as he lies face down on the ice. Not good.