‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Pinga

CS 9 Pinga

Hckybt: Whatcha doing???

Chkaddd: At airport waiting for your Mom and Tay.

Hckybt: Say hi. I’m waiting for the guys to go for lunch.

Chkaddd: Have fun with the team building in Florida. Push the guys for wins 13 and 14.

……….

I push my hair out of my face; adjust my seatbelt before taking another sip of coffee. It has been a long morning already and it’s only 1030am. Taylor and I have been up since 3am ish to catch our flight to Vancouver. Taylor for her part is full of excitement for her up coming tourney in California. But I do think that she’s a bit miffed that she won’t be traveling with her team. She and I will spend the better part of two days in Vancouver before we fly to south to join her team. I did close my eyes on the flight but I don’t think that I actually slept. Taylor did doze off for a couple of hours and she looks better for it.

Tylyn picked us up at the airport. The two girls are in the front seat making polite conversation. I don’t know what has gotten into Taylor. Last night she was happy as a lark but the closer we got to Vancouver she’s been getting frosty again. Mind you, last night we didn’t really talk wedding at all. The city floats by me in a blur. The spring flowers are all in bloom on this drizzly, gray day.

‘How many teams are playing in your tourney?’ Tylyn is trying to draw Taylor out of her shell. God love her.

’12 teams.’ But Taylor doesn’t elaborate.

Come on Taylor, I think, give the girl a break. It will be a long visit if this is what’s going to happen.

‘The teams are divided into two divisions. American and National. Each division plays knock out and the winners of each play off against each other on the Sunday afternoon. The teams are ranked by their standings.’ I try and help out. What happened to their friendship for just a couple of weeks ago? I catch Tylyn’s eye in the rearview mirror. I think she’s wondering the same thing.

Tylyn turns the car down a tree line street full of large wooden Art Deco homes. The gardens are a riot of spring flowers and shrubs. It’s almost like going back in time to another era. I roll the window down a crack and can smell the sweetness in the air from the blossoms.

‘This is us.’ Tylyn says as we pull in and park in front of a large three-story house painted a rich wine colour with darker maroon trim. The front of the house has a bed of narcissus and tulips blooming in it and a forsythia’s bright yellow flowers stands out against the dark colour of the wooden boards. ‘Mama and Mum are bringing my friend Sam with them. They shouldn’t be long. Lego came in late last night. She wasn’t awake before I left so I’m hoping that she will be up now. Come on in.’

As we get out of the car, Tylyn opens up the back and helps Taylor and I with our luggage. From in the house, I can hear an occasional woof sound of a small dog.

‘That’s just my dog Hairy. She’s harmless but don’t tell her. She thinks she’s ten feet tall and bullet proof.’ Tylyn puts a key into the lock and turns the handle. As the door opens a small black and white dog bursts through the opening half barking and half yipping in excitement. ‘Hairy, calm down and mind your manners.’

The little dog is sniffing around us darting in and out around our legs and bags. Her tail is wagging and her face looks like a happy smile. Sid told me about Hairy and has sent her a small “present”. I take the chew toy out of my carryon and give it to Taylor who kneels down.

‘Hairy, would you like a new toy?’ It is a small dog Kong with a biscuit in it. Hairy dances over to Taylor. Her nose is twitching as she sniffs the hot pink plastic toy. Taylor hold it out to her but she is skittish.

‘Hairy, this is Cappy’s sister.’ Tylyn tells the dog. ‘Taylor. This is Tay-lor.’

The dog sits down and yips once. Taylor tries again holding the toy flat on the palm of her hand. Hairy looks at it. I can tell she wants it.

‘You can take it, Hairy.’ I say to her. If this was Honey she’d have bowled me over to get the treat out of the Kong but not Hairy. She takes a step close to Taylor and gently lifts the Kong off her hand. She wags her tail and dashes out of the room.’ She’s a pretty little thing.’

‘She’s a rescue dog. Watch her because she likes to take things that aren’t hers.’ Tylyn shakes her head.’ Welcome to our home.’

I don’t know what I expected. The house has dark wood paneling for walls and from this main foyer I can see into a living room furnished with large overstuffed chesterfields and antique furniture. The place is tidy, warm and inviting. The pictures on the walls are of lots of family portraits and a huge still life hangs over the fireplace.

‘Come lets go through to the kitchen. It’s the nerve center of this place.’ Tylyn phones pings. ‘Oh Sam, says they’re just rounding the corner. You guys hungry? I’m going to put on a pot of tea. Or would you like coffee I can make both.’

‘Tea will be a lovely change. Taylor what would you like?’ Taylor has still been quiet. Hopefully she is just tired.

‘Whatever is fine.’ Taylor like me is busy looking around the house. Behind us there is clicking on the linoleum floor. Hairy pushes through our legs carrying a piece of black cloth. ‘What have you got there, Hairy?’

Taylor loves animal and has bent down on one knee to talk to the small dog. For her part Hairy is flipping around a large piece of black cloth. It’s a bit dog-eared from being chewed. Taylor tries to touch the cloth but Hairy pulls it out of her reach.

‘Oh Hairy, really? If Mama sees those she’ll wash them. She will.’ Tylyn looks disgusted.

‘What is it?’ I ask.

‘A pair of 87’s jockey’s. He must have worn them in three games at least without washing them. They reek but she loves them. He sent them to her when I came back at Christmas. Yucky Hairy.’ Tylyn is making faces at the dog.

Outside a car has pulled into the driveway, Hairy woofs. I can hear a door close and voices coming up the back pathway.

‘That’s Mama Hairy. You’d better hurray up and decide what you are doing, girly.’ And with that the dog flies behind us and makes for a distant part of the house.

Tylyn opens the back door and I can see a tall blonde lady walking towards us carry a few bags in her hands. ‘Hi Mama. We just got here.’

‘That’s great. Do you have the kettle on, chicken? I could murder a cup of tea.’
Rosalie Hylkema is taller than I thought maybe a few years older than me with long dark blonde hair swept up in clip. She’s dressed casually, in jean skirt, a floral shirt and a long wool sweater. Other than her nose she looks nothing like her daughter. Behind her on the path is an older lady, maybe my height, fine boned but plumpish. She looks more like Tylyn than her mother. The older woman's grey hair is curly just like Tylyn's. I look further down the path to where a second Volvo is parked the third of their party is a packing a few items out of the back of the vehicle. Sam is short as well but more solidly built with long strawberry hair. Tylyn waits for them all to get into the house before she makes introduces us.

‘Mama, Trina and Taylor Crosby. This is my grandmother, Helen Thwaite but everyone just calls her Mum. And this is my Samwise Gamgee, Kendra Lovely or are you going as MacAvoy.’ She asks her friend.

‘MacAvoy. It’s just too hard to explain every time, my parents divorced when I was little, my stepdad Richard Lovely raised me as his own daughter so going to school I was known as Lovely not MacAvoy which is my legal name. Since I went to Scotland I’ve basically been MacAvoy. See it’s just too confusing. Hi I’m Kendra but please call me Sam. Where’s Lego?’ Kendra is a pretty girl with lots of freckle and a huge smile. She is a few years older than Tylyn but obviously they are great friends.

‘Right here. Hairy’s barking woke me up.’ The voice comes from a tall slender platinum blonde standing behind us. ‘Nice to meet you both, I’m Lauren Kelham but everyone calls me Lego. You’re a sight for sore eyes, Taylor I thought that I was going to be in for a midget trip. No offence Mrs. H.’

‘None taken Lego. We’re going to sit down to a cuppa have you had any breakfast? We’ve brought a lots of food from the farm store.’ Rosalie is opening cupboards and taking out mugs and plates. ‘Tylyn, could you and Sam go out to the car and bring in the coolers.’

From a door off to the left of kitchen opens and a tall slender young man enters. His blonde hair is long around his face and is tucked behind his ears. He looks bleary eyes wearing a baggy Canucks t-shirt and plaid lounge pants. He hugs Rosalie first.

‘Hi folks.’ He says to the rest of us. Then crosses the room to Helen and gives her a big hug and a kiss on her cheek.

‘Sorry Jory, did we disturb your sleep? Trina, Taylor this is Joran. He’s our third son. He’s been working night shift for the past few weeks.’ Rosalie face beams at her son. I know how she feels. Her face radiates the love she feels for her family.

‘My pleasure, Mrs. Crosby. ‘ He shakes my hand. ‘Taylor, I hear from Pingu that you’re a goalie. We need a good goalie. It will be nice to have another girl in the family. I hope you won’t mind having a few extra brothers around.’

Joran is tall but very fit looking. He may be tussled from sleep but GQ if they saw him like this would want him for a cover. Taylor looks mesmerized. I’m pretty sure she murmured something but a few of the others have begun talking.

‘Why don’t I go and get the cooler in Mama? Tygyrl are all the bags in from the other car or do you need a hand?’ He stretches again and the female element in the room appears to collective hold their breath.

‘ They’re at the landing. Taylor, you have a choice. Lego and Sam are sleeping up in my attic with Hairy and me. It would be great fun if you joined us or you can have a cot set up in the guest room with your Mom. Which would you prefer?’ Tylyn looks expectantly at my youngest. This is where I hold my breath.

‘ The attic if you want?’ Taylor blushes being the center of attention. ‘I’ll help with the bags.’

‘Taylor that’s great. You girls get the bags sorted out and Mum and I finish things up here. We don’t have long before Kurt is expecting us at his studio.’ Rosalie is busy setting the table. ‘Mum, I think we’ll need a second pot of tea. Could you put on the kettle again? I’m just popping outside to pick some flowers for the table.’

The kitchen bustles with activity. Joran left the room with Sam and Lego in tow. Tylyn and Taylor went the other direction out the front of the house. Rosalie is rooting through a drawer after having half filled a vase from above the sink. I feel bereft of a task.

‘Trina, now tell me how Sidney is? I believe Tylyn said that you were visiting him.’ Helen Thwaite’s soft voice draws my attention to her ‘We’ve been so worried for him. Come sit at the table, it won’t be long before the mad mob appears again. ’

I sit down at the large kitchen table. I know I am tired but I feel a wave of emotion flow over me. I’ve talked to Rosalie on the phone a few times. I’ve always found her to be a kind, funny person. But sitting here in this kitchen, I can feel the love of this family in the room. You can see their love of each other and how they are including first Sid and now Taylor. It is relief I feel. Relief, that Sid will be loved in this family too.

…….

‘Taylor, lets talk for a minute.’ Lego pulls me aside. She calls out to the other two.’ We’ll catch up in a jiffy.’ She pauses.’ What kind of a girl are you? Are you a ruffle, lace flower girly girl like Frodo? Or are you a classic simple style, femme fatale? What’s your style?’

‘I don’t know. I don’t really like lots of flounces and things. I do like pretty clothes but nothing fussy.’ I hadn’t really thought of what I like.

‘I’m hoping we can stick together and not get talked into anything to frou frou. Frodo’s a love but we are totally different in style. You’re almost my height so I think we might be able to convince Kurt to style us similarly. I was thinking maybe a sheath dress. Would that work for you?’

‘I guess so. I don’t really wear a lot of dresses mostly I just wear jeans or sportswear.’ I feel so out of place in this conversation. ‘Doesn’t Tylyn get to decide what we wear?’

‘Oh knowing Frodo, she won’t care what we wear as long as Squidward shows up on the day, she’ll be a happy hobbit. Are you into sticking together?’ Lego looks at me intently.

‘Sure I guess.’ I answer her. Lego links her arm through mine and pulls me towards the door.

‘Let’s go face the music, Taylor.’

Inside the building is very different than the plain outside. We have to climb a long staircase and go down a long hall to the back of the building. I can hear voices and laughter coming from a room at the end of the hallway. Lego is leading the way. The room we enter it has windows that overlooks a body of water with boats in it and a bridge to one side. You can see the downtown core of Vancouver and in the distance the snow capped mountains. All around there are bolts of fabric and several dress forms with material pinned to them. A large table in the center of the room has more fabric on it and lots of drawings, ribbons and lace. The Mothers as Lego calls them are standing to one side talking to thin young man. He’s casually dressed in jeans and sweater shirt. He has a measuring tape around his neck and a thing on his wrist with pins in it. Tylyn and Sam are over in the corner looking at something.

‘Shit Lego. You’re always late to the show. Hello, I’m Kurt. Welcome to Kurtzie’s. You must be Taylor.’ He crosses the room towards us with his hand outstretched. He shakes my hand then lifts it to twirl me. ‘Oh you’re as beautiful as Frodo said you were. You’re going to be easy to dress. With that figure you’ll be able to pull off anything.’

‘I told you. Look at those long legs.’ Tylyn has come forward to join our conversation.’ Taylor and Lego will be easy, Kurt. Not like Sam, and me who get one or two choices of dress styles because we’re so short with huge bums. Look at them all slender and lean, they can wear anything and look fabulous.’

‘And it’s those bums and short legs that got us gold medals, Mr Frodo so don’t you worry about it.’ Sam hugs her. ‘Kurt, you said you had sketches of styles come show us.’

‘Let’s start by finishing off with Mum and Rosalie. Mum in the change room is your suit. Will you get changed into it and let’s see if my adjustments worked out.’ Kurt takes charge of the situation. ‘We’ll have a bit of a fashion show to bring the others up to speed, hey Frodo. Come along here to the sitting area.’

He leads off through another doorway to a smaller living area that has several couches and soft chairs. The box of food that we brought with us is sitting on a kitchen counter. The room is in the corner of the building so it has windows on both walls. Mum has gone into a room to one side. I sit on the arm of the couch beside Lego. We are sticking together.

‘Any time you’re ready Mum.’ Kurt turns to Rosalie. ‘You’ll be next, Mrs. H. I have a bit of a surprise for you in the change room. I hope you are going to like it. Sam did you bring your camera? Great take lots of photos. I’ve talked my design instructor into letting this be my final project. We were supposed to design five different outfits for one client using different fabrics and styles. Well I’ve completed four different dresses for Frodo so far but as they were all basically the same style I’d have to come up with some thing different. That’s when I asked about these other outfits.’

Mum comes out of the change room. She is met with many oohs and aah’s. She’s a grandma type, short, plump and with grey curly hair folded up in a bun. All she needs is glasses and she could be Mrs. Claus. She’s wearing a grey coloured dress and jacket. The fabric doesn’t have a pattern to it really just a bit of texture in lines running up the dress. For the jacket the material is turned at a 90-degree angle to change the texture. She looks great.

The fashion show continues when Rosalie comes out in fitted dress with a long v neckline in a soft goldy yellow colour with a full flared skirt. The material of her dress is soft and delicate. It doesn’t have any pattern to it but with folds and twists in round the waist it creates it’s own design. She is carrying a jacket that when she puts on comes down below Rosalie’s hip and is made from the same fabric on the outside but the lining has the same goldy colour with lots of varying shades in a swirly pattern and a black line occasionally accenting the swirls. The colours of the dress and jacket bring out the red gold accents of her hair.

‘Pop off to the change room, Sam, I did a mock dress for you as you didn’t want to choose colours until the other girls came.’ Kurt is waving Sam into the change room. ‘Now you two, Tylyn and I decided because you three are very different shapes and personalities that I’ll design a dress for each of you so don’t think that what Sam comes out in is going to be in your future.’

I look at Lego who gives me a knowing wink above Tylyn’s head. Maybe this isn’t going to be too bad. Then I see Sam’s dress. It’s all girly. Lace and ruffles with flowers. Well the material is flowery cut into an empire waist. It looks like something out of an old fashion magazine. Under the bodice is a lace ribbon and along the bottom are a few ruffles of material. I’m glad that Sam seems to like it but I won’t be caught dead in it. I give Lego a scary look and by her reaction she’s agreeing with me.

‘Of course, the dress will look different with different material and accents but the fit will be the same.’ Kurt is adjusting the length of the dress. ‘What do you think? Should the hem come up a bit to just above her knee?’

I watch Lego stand up and go over to the corner where Sam and Tylyn were sitting when we came in. Everyone else is discussing the length of the dress. Lego has a sketchpad and is flipping over pages. She looks at me and raises her head. The hemline discussion finishes with nothing being decided.

“Kurt? Kurt? What do you have in mind for Taylor and I? Are these some of your ideas?’ Lego waves the sketchpad at him.

‘Oh those are just some random thoughts. Come here to the cutting table.’ Kurt dismisses the pad. He shifts a few bolts of fabric out of his way to make room for fresh paper. With a few quick strokes of a pencil, he out lines a flowing dress.’ I kind thought a Grecian style would suit you best with soft flowy material with a belted waist. For Taylor more of a sheath dress I think as she has the curves to fill one out.’

‘Can I show her, Kurt?’ Tylyn jumps into the conversation.

‘Sure if you want but I never finished it.’ Kurt is still sketching an outline for me to look at. ‘I started the dress for a friend a couple of years ago but she had me take in the waist too much. It never fit her so I didn’t finish the hem. The whole episode was such a disappointment.’

Tylyn is rummaging around in a closet. She looks kinda funny. I can see the clothes moving but I can’t actually see her. Finally, she comes out carrying a silvery blue dress on a wooden hanger. It looks almost sparkly but some how not.

‘It’s your size Taylor. It’s made out of beads. See? It’s like mother of pearl. As you move the dress is changes colour from blue to grey to silver to pink to almost purple. It’s iridescent like the inside of a shell. Can she try it on Kurt?’

‘Sure. But only if you want to Taylor. It’s a sheath style so it will give you the idea of what I’m thinking about.’ Kurt is fussy with the plastic over the dress so I can see it.

The dress is like one from an old movie but modern all at the same time. The beads are small and are sewn on in waves, circles and swirls. The whole effect gives the dress motion and depth without being bulky. I take the wooden hanger from Tylyn.

‘I’ll try it.’ I tell them as I walk over to the change room.

‘Taylor, there is a zipper under one arm. If you have any issues just call.’ Kurt says to me. ‘

In the change room I slide into the dress. It does fit me. The hem is just pinned up and falls to just below my knee. I stand back and look at myself. I feel like a movie star about to hit the red carpet. The dress has a weight to it but doesn’t make me look fat. It moves as I move and shimmers in the light without being gaudy.

‘How do you like it? What do you think?’ Tylyn sounds so excited. ‘Kurt was showing me dresses last autumn and I loved that one but it’s too small for my bum. When I met you at Christmas Taylor I told Kurt that I found the right person for his dress.’

When I walk out into the room, I’m met with silence. I was expecting the oohs and aahs that the others got when they came out of the change room. But nothing, not a sound escapes their lips. I’m so disappointed I thought it looked so grown up and classy.

‘You’re stunning. That’s absolutely stunning.’ Sam is taking photos and walking around me. ’It’s like it’s made for you. OMG, I’m so jealous. That dress is just you.’

‘Wait, Taylor? What size shoes do you wear? Give me a moment.’ Lego has spring into action.

‘Size 8, why?’

‘You need a pair of heels. Let me look into my bag. Yeah here they are. Some ‘fuck me ‘ heels.’ She takes out a pair of black stiletto pumps from a bag. ‘They may be a bit big but they’ll give you the look.’ Lego smiles at me. I like her a lot.

‘Kurt, is this for sale? I’d love to wear it to my prom in May.’ I glance over at Mom who is talking to Kurt. I give a please look.

‘No, Taylor it’s not for sale. It’s my gift to you. Just wear it and enjoy it. I’d be so pleased just to have it out being worn and seen. Let me pin the hem up for you just below your mid thigh area.’ Kurt has tears in his eyes. ‘Now that we have some ideas for these girls, Mom Crosby, what about you? What would you like?’

Mom just smiles.

…..

‘Come on or we’ll miss the show.’ I push Taylor down the stairs. Hairy is following along with her ball. ‘This is the best part of this house.’

We’ve had a long and busy day from taking the ferry over from the island, the dress fitting, shopping for a pair of “fuckme” pumps for Taylor, then the fun game of field hockey with some of our friends. I don’t know how we fit in lunch and dinner between the laughter and teasing. But I can hear Frodo’s brothers and cousins in the basement family room where the X box is set up.

‘The show?’ I guess it’s not surprising that she’s been a bit standoffish. She’s younger than us by maybe 7 or 8 years. We’ve been friends and teammates for so long I forget that Lego and I are older than Frodo. Lego and I talked before we met up as Frodo’s been worried that Taylor won’t feel accepted by us. We are going to treat her just like a new teammate. Show Taylor the ropes as it were by including her is our private jokes and teasing. So far it has been working.

‘Ah the show. Well the Hylkema boys are legendary for their good looks, good natures and great fitness. Downstairs my new friend is a pretty nice sampling. Let’s go down while Frodo and Lego are talking on their phones and challenge whomever to what ever.’ I propose. ‘If nothing else they are easy on the eyes.’

‘Okay, if you think it’s okay.’ She still a bit shy but coming out of her shell.
The room downstairs is big enough for two couches and a couple of armchairs. Someone has made huge throw cushions that live on the floor. Jory, Caleb, Braden, Luke, Ewen and Noah are draped around the room. On the TV screen is some war/ stalking/ hunting game. I’m not a gamer. I just know it’s got guns and shooting.

‘What’s up guys? Can we play too?’ I ask as we walk through the door into the room of testosterone.

‘Hey Sam, long time no see.’ Caleb welcomes me. I’ve gone to school with a few of the boys but mostly I know them through Frodo.

‘Have all of you met Taylor?’ I ask. ‘I know you met Jory this morning. The mouthy one is Caleb, one of Frodo’s brothers. These two are Luke and Noah; their brothers are Braden and Ewen. ’

They all politely nod or say hello. The Hylkema men all have a look about them. They are slightly blurred images of their fathers. But by god they are hunks.

‘You want to play?’ Luke offers his controller to Taylor. ‘It’s Halo 4. Do you play?’

‘Um, okay but I’ve only played a bit.’ She blushes. Oh yeah the effect of hunky guys is not lost on her.

‘I’ll help you as long as you don’t share any of my secrets with Tygyrl. She’s totally viscous.’ Luke makes room for Taylor on the couch.

‘Pinga, don’t listen to him. He’s full of crap. Luke knows nothing. Come and learn from a master.’ Teases Ewen who is probably closer in age to her interjects.

‘Pinga?? Where did you get Pinga from?’ I’m confused.

‘She’s Pingu’s little sister. What else would we call her.’ Braden looks at me like I’m dense.

I look at Taylor. She’s radiating and I don’t blame her. Luke is showing her how the buttons on the controller work. Their legs are touching on the couch as he holds his hands over hers to manipulate the buttons. I sit on the arm of Jory’s chair. He gives me a knowing smile. Yes folks. My job here is done. Taylor’s been gob smacked by Hylkema handsome.

……..

‘It’s been a lovely fun time, 87. And thank you for the basket. It was so perfect. The chocolate biscotti didn’t last long and the coffee was great. I think the Mum and Mama are finishing the wine as we speak. I thought the Mothers were going to cry when the read your note.’ I read it again as I talk to him. Just a little basket of treats for my gals on their girly weekend- love 87, Sid, and Penguin. ‘How did you get Kurt’s address?’

‘David gave me it. So are all the dresses finished now?’ He’s deep voice is so comforting.

‘Pretty much. Kurt only has a few finishing things to do on Taylor’s dress, and the wrap for Lego. Mama and Mum helped him with the cutting and sewing. Your mom claims she’s not really domesticated but she can sure wield a great iron. His studio was a hive of activity. They even made a few ties for the groomsmen to choose from the leftover fabric from our dresses.’ I watch as Hairy noses around her toys. ‘Kurt’s going to make Hairy a neckerchief so she can feel special too.’

‘Somehow that doesn’t surprise me. I’m glad your time was a success. I’ve been busy here as well.’

‘Really? Doing what? Is your jaw okay?’ I ask.

‘My jaw’s fine. I’m getting the cave ready for my gals.’ His voice sounds so sly. ‘Hey if you had a choice of colours which would you choose?’

‘Depends on what the item is? If it’s for me a girly colour if it’s for your home I’d choose a quiet colour. I could tell you better if I knew what you were thinking about?’ I hint.

‘Hey Chickadee, it’s our home not just mine and as to what it is. You’ll just have to wait and see.’ He laughs. ‘It was nice that your family has made Mom and Taylor feel so welcome. It meant a lot to me. I love that they call her Pinga. She’s just tickled pink to get her own nick name.’

‘I asked for help. I so want Taylor to be part of us. And not to feel left out. I think we’re on our way to being a family. We all tried our best to include her in our lives ’

‘Yip.’ Hairy agrees with me. Obviously, 87 heard her because he laughs again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Pingu is a cartoon that I love. I know the series is finished but you can watch episodes on Youtube. It's great fun.