Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

Something Odd

"How much farther?" I asked Daniel, lapping at the last water droplet hanging from the plastic bottle.

"It's not too much longer now. Just at the top of this cliff. See that cave up there?"

I peered up toward the sun, wiping the sweat from my brow and using my hand as a visor at the same time. My head nodded absently. Yeah, I saw it alright... But it looked pretty far away.

"We can talk to take your mind off of it, if you'd like?"

"Okay... Tell me about growing up with Orion."

He frowned. "You know that I was really friends with Luca, right?"

"Fine. Tell me about growing up with Orion and Luca."

"There's not much to tell. I mean, I lived in the room beside Luca. We basically spent every day together, learning about being Alpha and Beta. Even when he was exiled... I stayed in his room for a bit. He was my best friend, you know? Him, Lorena, and I used to hang out all the time."

"Lorena?"

He nodded.

"She was a remarkable woman. Beautiful, smart... I don't think she knew she was a shifter, though. A bit feeble toward the end, but she was still perfect."

"Were you jealous of Luca?"

He smiled. "Oh, yeah. I thought for the longest time that she was the one. But it was just a passing fancy. I've had a few of those, just looking for Mrs. Beta, you know?"

"I'm sure she's looking for you just as desperately as you're looking for her," I offered, resting my hand on his shoulder and smiling reassuringly to him. "You're a great guy, and any woman would be lucky to happy."

"I'm glad you think that."

"Don't be silly; I know that."

He flashed a toothy grin before placing his hand on my back and guiding me away from the edge of a horribly tall cliff. We walked into a cave that was lit only using torches on the walls. It was beautiful, though, and I could hear the faint trickling of moisture from the cave ceiling. He led me to a campfire and helped me sit.

"Wait here. I'm going to go find Orion, okay?"

I nodded. "I'll be here."

I turned back to the fire, happy to have it. It had been blazing outside, but in here... It was so cold.

Sophie, are you alright? Daniel seemed weird, Melissa whispered in my head, her voice incredibly faint. She had never contacted me like this. Was it hard for her?

He's fine. He was just telling me about Lorena, Jonathan's mother. It's cute that he had a little crush.

A little crush? I guess I can see why; she resembled his mate a little bit, I suppose. She had the same black hair and the prettiest eyes.

His mate? Daniel's mate?

Wait a minute... Daniel said he had yet to find his mate.

Yes. Lillian was a beautiful woman, kind and sweet. Bright as a bulb. She reminds me a lot of you, actually. Black hair, pin straight. Her eyes were a bit bluer, but yours are turning with the shifter heritage coming through. She was a really small woman, too. I think shifter men like that; smaller mates are easier to protect.

I haven't met Lillian. Where is she?

Poor dear passed away years ago, probably about eight or nine years. She had always been rather sickly, but her immune system was weakened because she was taking fertility treatments. They were just desperate for a family... Daniel was torn up for the longest time. The pain of losing your mate can drive a wolf insane. That was probably why he found comfort in Lorena, why he finds comfort in you.

Melissa, I can barely hear you. Is there anything else?

I suppose not. I'll just let...for...me...later?

I shook my head, cringing from the splitting headache that had suddenly filled every cavity of my skull!

"Daniel, where did you go!" I called, curling into a ball by the fire.

Shuffling filled the cave, and warm hands suddenly pressed against my skin.

"Are you feeling sick?" I nodded, squinting against the forming tears. "Can you hear Regina?"

"No," I whimpered as I clutched at the fabric of his shirt.

"Okay. I can't find Orion, so I'll just take you back and tell him you weren't feeling well. I can carry you, so you can go to sleep. How does that sound?"

"Okay..."

He cradled me so protectively against his chest, and his warm smile kept some of the pain at bay. But my head was throbbing and my stomach was now churning.

"I'll take care of you," he promised, wiping some sweat from my forehead. "I promise I'll keep you safe. I'll protect you."

"Daniel, I feel awful..."

"I know, sweetheart," he murmured, carrying me out of the cave. The sun was starting the set, so thankfully it wasn't quite so hot.

"Daniel," I whimpered again, trying to fight the horrible hot chills coursing through my body.

"Just go to sleep, okay? I'll wake you when we're home."

"Thanks, Daniel," I mumbled, allowing sleep to finally take over.

"Anything for you, Lillian."
♠ ♠ ♠
This took a while to get out, and I apologise for that. But hopefully now you see that things are started to get mighty (or at least mildly??) interesting around here! I'll let you all run away with your ideas until the next update ;)

As always, thanks for reading! Comment, recommend, subscribe, or just read. Whatever makes that boat of yours float! :)