Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Alt Ending Part 2

Benedict Cumberbatch stood in front of the full mirror in a back room. This suite had been purchased for a much different event yet it still meant everything to wear the piece today. Of everyone in that large room, she had chosen him- a small miracle in itself. When all this began, his wildest of dreams never lead him to this moment. Nervous hands tightened his bow tie for the tenth time in the last hour alone; she always liked him in a proper suite and bow tie. Chatter of the large group down the hall returned him to the present. There would never be another day like today. If only he could avoid getting lost in the ocean of happy faces.

James popped into the room wearing his own expensive suite, also nervous that something was going to go terribly wrong. Benedict saw it in his second father's eyes. The same anxious expression he had been fighting all morning.

"They are about to start, son," James gave a quick smile. "Quite a few people out there. A few journalist looking cameras and a few fans managed to sneak in. But everything looks fantastic."

"Alright. Thank you," he breathed, still staring into the mirror. Now, more than ever, he was on a mission. All That mattered to him this morning was making the day perfect as possible. "We aren't afraid," the handsome man whispered with sudden confidence as James left the back room, a genuine smile on his face.

"Oh, and Ben," the proud elder added. After Benedict turned back around, James hugged him. "No need to worry. This will be one of the best remembered days of your life- no matter what happens."

"You truly are something," the younger chuckled with a bright expression once more. "Let's do this!"

A quick glance to the wall's clock told him he had all of three minutes before he had to be in the church's main sanctuary but he left early. He never cared for churches but this was one of two exceptions he'd make. After all, it was for her. Ben quickly reminded himself of the proper procedures- another audience yet so much more. Cocking this up was not a possibility.

He took his first steps out of the small preparatory room. One quick peek into the sanctuary told him all he needed to know. The first ten rows were full of cheery faces while the last two were a mixture of hopeful young local fans and inconsiderate cameramen. His heart pounded as his stomach turned. Wasn't this supposed to be close family and friends only? His agent had been told multiple times to go all out with security.

Oh well, he thought with a sigh. This way, more people can see. She deserves as much recognition on this day as possible. This was where her parents were married so this is the only appropriate place. A short pause before everything began- one final pull on his black and white tux. This is it.

Benedict Cumberbatch walked out from one of the back side entrances to the large majestic room, decorated just as she wanted, down to the white roses and candles. A few small gasps and soft chaos filled the room until he took his place at the front of the sanctuary, granting everyone a quick smile in thanks for their attendance. On stage. Lights shining down from the oak board ceilings. It was every young woman's dream and every man's privilege. Many had come great distances to attend on this beautiful morning. It was all perfect- minus the uninvited, determined guests. Everything was set. Everything was as perfect as could be.

He watched the digital clock on the back wall turn 10:00.

Showtime, he thought with a racing heart.

The first song they had chosen began as the crowd fell silent. Trying not to fidget with his tux again, he concentrated on the three, a combination of friends and family members, he asked to be candle lighters. At the same time, his parents and Gran were walking down the aisle to take their seats on the front pews. They were all smiling, why couldn't he? Why was his mind hell-bent on something going wrong?

Towards the middle of the song, his sister performed the daring task of unrolling the white satin runner for his bride to walk down. It was no surprise that she completed the duty with grace, giving him a quick wink to make him smile. Next, during the last minute of the romantic piano solo, Sophie came down the aisle adding white petals atop the runner, completing the look his bride wanted. Not having a flower-girl, bride's maids, or groom's men in the wedding pained Gran; but she and the bride came to very agreeable alternatives. As the piano struck its last note and final chord, Ben's posture straightened with anticipation.

The first guitar strums of "Your Guardian Angel" began. Everyone in the beautiful room stood to their feet then turned towards the back door. Why weren't the door opening? She was doing this to him on purpose. He just knew it.

---

"Ready, darling?" James asked with a tear threatening to fall any moment.

Makenzie kissed her father then gave him the most blissful grin he had ever seen on the child's face.

"I love you, daddy."

He kissed her cheek, shared another quick stare, then nodded towards the young man at the door.

Two deep breaths were taken followed by their first steps into the beautiful sanctuary. The candles in small rot-iron lamps on the floor, endless white rose petals, and everyone apart of this majestic setting disappeared from her sight. There was just him.

---

He was looking down at the ground, as if afraid to look up. Very rarely did she see him nervous- but he was just so adorable. As if feeling her eyes on him, he finally worked the courage to look up at her. It was a moment she wished she could have framed. His eyes widened, mouth opened ever so slightly in a gasp that took her own breath away, and finally the smile she had been longing to see all morning stole her heart all over again. Nothing moved her more than the tear that rolled down his cheek.

She felt her nerves and anxiety become excitement. Makenzie suddenly felt as if the isle was too long. With a smile, her father gave a small content grunt then slightly pulled her arm to keep them at their set walking pace. He was thanked with quick smile and misty eyes; just for a moment, he saw her as the bright eyed child he remembered from so long ago. All eyes were on her as she neared the front of the church.

James kissed her hand before his attention wandered to the man who was already like the son he never had- the kind of man he would have raised had he been blessed with a son of his own. Their eyes met in a moment of clear understanding, but the father spoke despite the silent agreement that had been made weeks ago.

"I'm giving you my world, son," he managed without choking, a tear or two dripping from his eyes.

For the first time since their entrance, Benedict took his eyes off his beautiful bride to give his second father a nod, fully and completely accepting the greatest gift and responsibility James had to give. Ben had just enough time to smile before the proud father pulled him into a warm embrace. After they released one another, James playfully poked his grinning daughter's nose- something he used to do when she was a little girl.

"Love you, daddy," she whispered just before he walked away.

It was just the three of them now: her, him, and the man leading their vows.

"You're breathtaking," Ben widely grinned, tears brimming his light eyes. "I love you."

"Love you, too," she said with a half giggle, still expecting to wake up in a hospital bed.

"I never planned to fall in love. It was the furthest thing from my mind and the last thing expected. And then you." It took everything in her power to contain a giggle. "Who would have predicted that my celebrity crush would become my best friend. And then that same man would willingly walk through hell beside me, no matter what. A love I could have never predicted. Now, here we are- two lovers vowing to love eachother for the rest of our lives as man and wife." The sweet moment was ended with an escaped laugh. "I suppose I owe a word of thanks to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Then again, fate probably would have led us to one another despite the paths we chose for ourselves. Soulmates," she nearly whispered with an expression of pure amazement.

"Soulmates," he repeated in a voice so low that only she heard it.

"In front of our closest friends and family, I vow to be yours and yours alone. Despite what else comes, what life challenges attempt to separate us, and who we become years from now, I am your wife. For better or for worse. Sickness and health. Even beyond the grave. I am yours and you are mine… Forever."

He heard Gran sniffling but couldn't bring himself to smile at her. He was too moved, touched at his very core, to do anything but stare into her eyes and thank whatever forces made her his. It was truly the honor of his life. And she was his.

"Makenzie Daniels," Ben began.

Her name alone filled his heart with a distinct joy he had come to associate with her. A brief chuckle of disbelief came before a thoughtful pause. Of all the lines he had ever memorized, he was more nervous of cocking up this speech than he had been since his Sherlock audition. No, not even then was he so hell bent on doing nothing short of perfect. She deserved nothing short of perfect.

"I almost didn't take that walk that night. But something, I have no idea what, drove me on. Perhaps it was the nice weather or the need for solitude before filming. Whatever it was, that was the night my life changed. Anyone who knows me already knows how much I adored that brave, beautiful uni student I met on Gower Street. And everyone here knows how much I love the woman I've had the privilege to know more intimately than I ever dreamt I would know someone. You are my life now. Everything I do is for us and our future." Her happy tears nearly ruined his speech, shaking the calm facade he had mastered. "You changed something inside me that night and have continued to do so every night since. You have turned my lonely heart into something so brilliant… I still can't find the proper words for it."

"My darling," she whispered in awe.

"So today, in front of our closest friends and family, I vow to be yours and only yours. Whatever happens from this day forward, I am your husband. For better or for worse. In sickness and in health. Even after this life. I am yours—I'm so thankful to be yours—and you are mine… Forever."

"You may place your rings on eachother's fingers. These are a symbol for many things. But most importantly to Benedict and Makenzie, these are a symbol of eternal love. They belong to one another and will continue their lives together as one, a single soul dwelling in two bodies. One love for one lifetime." He paused, already knowing the answers to the questions he was about to ask.

"Benedict, do you swear to keep the vows you have just made to Makenzie for the rest of your life?"

"I do," he announced in that confident baritone she so deeply loved.

"And Makenzie, do you swear to keep the vows you have just made to Benedict for the rest of your life?"

"I do," she beamed.

"Then you may kiss your bride."

There were audible gasps as Benedict quickly, but oh so tenderly, claimed his wife's mouth for the first time. Without a moment's hesitance, she wrapped her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss. They parted at the perfect moment, blissful expressions on their faces. He couldn't help but steal one last peck. They were still staring at eachother when a voice pulled them from their moment.

"May I be the first to introduce to you Mr. and Mrs. Cumberbatch," the elder announced with pride.

The two raised their intertwined hands above their heads, as if to say "We did it!". Their friends and family cheered, clapped, and catcalled. All hearts were soaring and there were only a few dry eyes to be found. Makenzie was first to take a step up the aisle. But she was surprised when her husband picked her up princess style and walked her past their family and friends in style. For all they knew, they were in a proper fairytale. This was the very first of many married couple moments to come- he wanted to do it right. The photographer took great delight in capturing a truly picture perfect moment.

From the sanctuary, they walked towards the church doors. As soon as they were alone, Ben kissed her good and hard, just like he did in their most intimate of moments. They only had a few seconds before the first row of guests, their parents and grandparents, entered the lobby to congratulate the beautiful pair.

"My wife," he sighed, unable to pull his eyes from her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Keep an eye out for the final part of the alt ending! Love you all! You are all amazing!