Status: (active / also on mcrfanfiction)

On the Edge

VII

"Please tell me you hit that Saturday night."

I spun around, startled by the sudden voice. My eyes fell upon Parker and Kennedy, who were making their way into the record store. "No," I said coldly, cringing. "I did not hit that."

Parker shook his head in disbelief as he continued to make his way up to the counter. Kennedy stopped in the front of the store when something caught his eye. He began sorting through the racks of old vinyls. I looked around, making sure there weren't any other customers in the store. "What happened bro?" Parker continued.

"She isn't that type of girl." I shrugged trying to avoid answering any further questions.

"She's fucking sexy is what she is." Parker bluntly stated. He picked up a magazine and carelessly flipped through it. I bit my tongue as I pulled a box cutter out of my back pocket.

Kennedy scoffed as he walked up to the counter. He jokingly slapped Parker's chest with the back of his hand. "She's way out of your league dude." He began looking through a rack of vinyls next to the counter.

"Yeah?" Parker asked as he put the magazine back on the rack. "Then what makes you think she isn't out of Frank's league?"

"Well, look at him." Kennedy paused, motioning his hand toward me. I knelt down behind the counter and began cutting open boxes of a new shipment we had just gotten that morning.

"What about him?" Parker asked sounding a bit offended.

"Do you think she'd be attracted to a typical looking frat boy douche like you?" Kennedy teased. He looked over the counter at me. "Didn't you say she bar tends at Jon's?" He asked.

"Yeah," I muttered, opening a box of new flyers that I needed to post up around the store.
Kennedy turned back to Parker.

"See? She deals with douche frat guys every night at the bar. Do you want to be the guy that constantly reminds her of her job? That's a turn off if you ask me." He laughed.

"Yeah, well no one asked you." Parker joked. Beneath his sarcastic statement I could tell he was offended by Kennedy's words.

I chuckled at Kennedy putting Parker in his place and pulled out the flyers. I skimmed through them, hoping to find any upcoming shows I'd be interested in going to. "Anyways," Kennedy sighed. "How'd it go last night?"

"It was nice." I simply said as I placed the flyers on the counter. Kennedy didn't take his eyes off me. It took a moment before I realized he wanted me to continue. "We had a few more drinks and just chilled at my place. That's all."

Kennedy looked at me confused. He leaned over the counter a bit as if he was trying to tell me a secret. "So you really didn't fuck 'er?"

"No," I sighed, becoming annoyed. "She isn't just some slut you pick up at parties, stick your dick in and never see again."

"Damn Frank," Parker chimed in. "What the hell did she do to you? You spend one night with this chick and you're already a changed man!" He joked. I rolled my eyes, turned around and began stapling flyers to the wall.

Kennedy chuckled at Parker with the shake of his head. "Did you at least get her number?"

"Yeah, got it the next morning." I said, picking up another flyer.

"What's today, Friday?" He questioned.

I nodded. "The first of June!"

"Have you seen her since then?

"No, we've each been super busy with work." I said. "We've been texting on and off though."

"What's her name anyway?" Parker asked.

As I opened my mouth to respond, the doorbell rang throughout the store. Parker and I both glanced toward the front of the store. A pretty blonde of average height was making her way toward us. In her hand were a stack of papers. She placed them beneath her arm as she adjusted the acoustic guitar that was strapped to her back. Parker smiled at her as he moved to the side, allowing her to come up to the counter. "Good afternoon." I smiled.

"Hi there." She said, flashing me a sweet smile. "Are you the manager?"

"No. He'll be here tomorrow morning." I told her. "Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked as I placed the stapler on the back counter.

"Two things." She laughed. "I'm a journalist for the magazine Cadence, which focuses strictly on artists and bands local to the Philadelphia area." She said, handing me a magazine. I began to skim through the colorful shiny pages as she continued. "Would you be interested in subscribing to it so you could sell it in store?"

"Definitely, this looks awesome." I expressed. "Just have to pass it by my boss first. Mind if I keep this for now?"

"I don't mind." She smiled. "Secondly, I'm doing a story on a few local shows that are coming up. Would it be possible for you to hang up a few flyers around the store to promote it?" She passed a few flyers to me.

"Of course." I smiled, taking the flyers. "You came just in time. I actually got a new shipment of flyers this morning." I chuckled, motioning toward the boxes on the ground. "I'll leave a few spaces open for you."

"Thank you, it'll help out a lot." She smiled as she ran a hand through her wavy shoulder length hair. She pulled a business card out of her pocket and placed it on the counter. "Here's my name and number if you have any further questions about the magazine subscription." She took the pen off the counter and jotted down a few things on the card.

"Thank you." I smirked, taking the card as she handed it to me.

"No, thank you." She returned a sly smirk. "Have a great evening."

"You too." I spoke. She turned on her heels and walked out. Kennedy and Parker were silent for a moment as we all watched her exit.

"Goddamn, man." Parker swore as he watched the girl walk past the front windows.

"What?" I chuckled.

"How do you do it?" He said. "Every girl you come across practically melts in your presence." I laughed his words off as I looked over the business card. Before I could read anything written, Parker snatched it from my hands. He examined it before his eyes lit up. "See, this proves my point." He said, pointing to the girls signature.

"What's it say?" Kennedy asked, peering over Parker's shoulder.

"X-O-X-O." Parker teased, handing the card to Kennedy.

"Anastasia." Kennedy said beneath his breath as he read the card. "What a pretty name."

"X-O-X-O?" I laughed. "This isn't elementary school. Give me this." I said, taking the business card away from Kennedy. I overlooked it and smiled when I noticed what she jotted down. 'xoxo, Anas' was written in perfect cursive at the bottom right of the card.

"Point proven." Parker repeated.

"Yeah, yeah." Kennedy sighed, uninterested in the conversation. He picked up the stack of flyers she handed me and looked through them. "Holy shit." He exhaled, stopping midway through the stack. "I went to school with this kid. I didn't know he was a rapper." He passed me the flyer.

"Hop Hobson?" I questioned, looking at his picture. "Never heard of 'em."

"Let me see," Parker extended his hand of the counter. He glanced over it before scoffing. "Kid looks like a douche."

"Hah! You're one to talk." Kennedy teased Parker once more before placing the stack of flyers back on the counter. Parker shot him a glare and put the flyer on top of the stack. "Anyways, Frank." Kennedy continued. "I'm going out for drinks with a few of my people tonight. Wanna join?"

"Yeah, sure." I shrugged as I took the flyer off the stack.

'Hop Hobson,' I thought as I stapled it to the wall. 'He does look like a douche.'

-

"Hey sweetheart," I pressed the phone against my ear as I left my apartment. "You working tonight?"

Minutes before I dialed your number I received a call from Kennedy stating that we'd be meeting up at Jon's. It's been a week since I last saw you. But in that week we were constantly texting each other every chance we could. We both wanted to see each other but our work schedules prevented that from happening. I couldn't complain though. Falling asleep on the phone with you a few nights in a row left you the first thing on my mind each morning. We were falling for each other fast and that didn't scare me one bit. I felt as if I have known you my whole life.

"Where else would I be?" You sarcastically said over the loud music at the bar.

"Mind if I stop by?" I smirked, looking down at my feet as I walked. The bright lights of south street at the end of the block were illuminating the dirty sidewalk. I looked up, noticing I was only a few shops away from the bar.

"Of course!" You beamed as the loud background noise began to decrease. "What time were you planning on stopping by?"

I wondered if Kennedy was already at the bar as I watched a group of people enter. The group diminished, revealing a few people standing on the sidewalk smoking cigarettes and talking on the phone. I chuckled as I noticed your familiar frame. Your back was turned to me as you held the phone against your ear. "I see you." I said, playfully.

"You see me?" You questioned as you began overlooking the tables outside of the bar. I slid the phone into my back pocket, not bothering to hang up as I made my way up behind you discretely. I suddenly wrapped my arms around you which caused a small yelp to escape your mouth. You quickly turned around, eyes lighting up once you realized it was me. "Frank!" You exclaimed.

"Hi there." I grinned, letting my hands fall to the small of your back.

You gently pushed me away, trying your hardest to cover your beautiful smile with a straight face. "I don't see you for a week and this is how you greet me?" Your voice was stern for a moment before your lips curled into a smirk.

I chuckled at how adorable you were trying to scold me for scaring you. Excitement from seeing you for the first time in a week subsided as I struggled to think of a response. A familiar feeling rushed throughout my body as I got lost in your eyes. I was nervous. I felt like I was meeting you for the first time all over again. I nervously laughed it off. "What time do you get off?"

"I have to close tonight." You frowned. "You came right on time though, I'm about to take my break."

"Perfect." I smirked. Yelling over the loud music fled the streets as I opened the door. You entered first, taking my hand and guiding me through the crowded bar. I studied the group of guys at the bar as we approached it, hoping to make out Kennedy or a familiar face.

You stood on your toes and leaned into me. "I have a few things to do before I can hang out for a bit." You spoke clearly. I smiled down at you and nodded.

"Take your time babe." I said, looking around once more. "I'll be around here somewhere." I chuckled.

You went behind the beer covered bar and began to get back to work. I was left standing on the side, in the exact spot I had first caught sight of you. I got lost in thought as I watched you taking an order from a good looking guy. You smiled at him politely and nodded, turning around to make his drink. You could easily get anybody you wanted. Why me?

I suddenly felt insecure; unworthy of your time.

A swift pat on my back tore me from my thoughts. "Frank, hey man." My gaze fell from you and was now placed on Kennedy. "I've been calling you!"

"Oh," I said with a slight laugh. "Phone must not be on vibrate. Where's everyone at?"

"We've got a table over here." He said, motioning for me to come with him.

At the table sat a few familiar faces that were engaged in different conversations. I had run into a few of these people at the several parties Kennedy and Parker threw. Some I recognized from the quick drug deals Kennedy had to make when I was with him. Some I didn't recognize though. I had never been invited to come out with Kennedy's friends. I wondered if there was any reason he's inviting me to hang out with them now.

Kennedy pulled a chair out for me before he sat down. Directly across from where I stood sat a man that must have been in his mid thirties. He was very attentive to my actions as he watched me take a seat. I nodded slightly, attempting to give him a friendly gesture. He continued to focus on me, unaffected by my greeting. I felt uneasy. I immediately turned to Kennedy to rid myself of the awkward situation. "Here," He held up a shot glass filled to the brim with dark liquid.

I took it, hastily throwing it back without thinking twice. I cringed as I sat the shot glass on the table, making sure not to make direct eye contact with the man. He was still studying me. And he definitely wasn't trying to be discrete about it. Feeling extremely uncomfortable, I shifted in my seat.

Kennedy chuckled at my reaction to the burning liquid. "Shits rough, isn't it?"

I looked at him for a moment. He was completely unaware of the man burning a hole through my body. "Yeah." I agreed roughly, clearing my throat. I don't know what it was, but I desperately wanted to get away from this man. I leaned closer to Kennedy. "Want anything from the bar? It's on me."

"Sure, I'll come with." He spoke as I stood.

Kennedy leaned against the bar as we waited to get the bartenders attention. You weren't anywhere in sight. But for the first time in a week, you weren't the first thing on my mind. I couldn't wait any longer to find out who this man was.

"Dude, who the fuck is that?" I exclaimed, my nerves obviously shaken.

"Who?!" Kennedy asked, glancing through faces at the bar.

"No," I shook my head, taking a deep breath. "The fucking man at the table."

Kennedy narrowed his eyes at me rapidly before looking over his shoulder. "Sh!" He spat. "Do you want us to get killed?!"

"Killed?!" I stressed. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I'm just fucking with you bro," Kennedy chuckled. "He just wants to speak to you about something. That's all."

"Speak to me about something? That's all?" I retorted. "The mother fucker was staring at me so hard that I felt a whole burning into my chest!"

"Really?" Kennedy chuckled. "I didn't notice."

"Yeah, I could tell." I rolled my eyes. "What does he want?"

Kennedy shrugged. "He needs another dealer. He was wondering if you were interested."

"So, let me get this straight." I paused, trying to put thoughts together in my head. "You invited me here so some sketchy drug dealer could offer me a job to deal?"

"He's not a dealer." Kennedy stated.

"Then what the fuck is he?" I questioned eagerly.

"He's a manufacturer."

My vision fell into a blank stare as I tried to comprehend the entire conversation. I sighed with a shrug. "I have no interest in being a dealer man. If he can't take no for an answer then I'm out." I began stepping away from the bar before Kennedy placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Wait," He said. "Just hear him out. Please? For my sake."

"Well what do I say? He's fucking intimidating." I said, nearly shuddering at the thought of his intense stare.

"Just-" Kennedy sighed. "Just be cool. I'll interfere if you run into any trouble."

"What the fuck did I get myself into." I muttered beneath my breath, looking at the floor. "Alright, let's get this over with." I said, looking up at Kennedy.

My nerves were getting the best of me with each step I took toward the table. A few of Kennedy's friends were no longer present. This observation was just something I dwelled on to distract myself from thinking about approaching this intense man. I had an uneasy feeling about this guy before I knew anything about him. Knowing that he was a drug manufacturer made me more uncomfortable.

Kennedy gave the man a nod before sitting down. A corrupt grin grew across this mans face as he placed his hands together above the table. Tense, I began taking a seat. "I'm sure it'd be best if we took this conversation outside." The man stated.

Once Kennedy and I were now sitting an outside table with this man, his expression became a bit softer. I sat there anxiously waiting for him to begin speaking when you came into view. You were looking over the patio. Your eyes lit up once you noticed me. I darted my eyes away, hoping you didn't come over to the table. I didn't want you to be involved in this tense situation.

"There you are." You smirked. "I've been looking all over for you." I smiled up at you, unsure what to say.

"You're the bartender here, aren't you?" The man softened his voice as he spoke to you.

"Yes, I am." You responded.

"Do you mind fetching me a beer, miss?"

"Sure thing." You replied, glancing down at me. The look on your face said it all. You sensed the tense atmosphere of our table. I gave you a sad smile as you hurried away to go get this intimidating man a beer. All I wanted to do was see you tonight. I didn't want anything getting in the way of that.

"Look," I exhaled, fed up with this situation I didn't even need to be in. "I'm not interested." I declared.

From the corner of my eye I could see Kennedy tense up. I kept my full attention toward the man. He stared at me with a blank face before opening his mouth to speak. "Very well then. If you happen to change your mind be sure to let me know."

And with that, he stood up from the table and left. I let out a sigh of relief as I watched him vanish down south street. I looked to Kennedy, who appeared to be in a state of shock. "Well, that was easy." I sighed.

A mere second later, you returned to the table with his beer. You glanced at his empty seat in utter confusion. "Where'd he go?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for this chapter being so shitty. But it's important to the plot!
Comments always keep up my motivation to continue writing. hint hint ;)

There's more coming soon, thank you for reading!