Status: (active / also on mcrfanfiction)

On the Edge

VIII

The atmosphere of Jon's was completely laid back after the intimidating man disappeared down south street. Kennedy's friends had joined us outside and you were now sitting on my lap. We were in our own little world for the past hour as we engaged in deep conversation.

"So, my brother is playing a show at The Troc in Chinatown next week." You began, looking down at me. Your arm was draped around my shoulder. "I was wondering if you'd like to go with me."

"Sure," I smiled up at you. "What's the name of his band? I might have heard of 'em." I took a deep drag of my cigarette. "We just got a flyer promoting shows at The Troc."

"He's not in a band," You scoffed with a roll of your eyes. "He's a 'rapper'." You said, using your fingers as quotation marks.

"Oh," I chuckled at your response. I blew the smoke away from your pretty face before turning to you again. "Well he must be pretty good if he can land a show at The Troc. That's a pretty decent sized place."

"Yeah," you agreed. "He's really good; just extremely cocky."

"Oh, I see." I laughed, leaning forward to take a sip of my ice cold beer.

-

"Just the person I've been wanting to see." I beamed as I saw you enter the record store. Your eyes lit up at the sight of me as you continued through the store.

"Ready to head over to my place?" You asked.

"Of course." I smirked.

The week before the show passed fairly quickly. Since I was working until five that evening, we agreed to hanging out at your place for a few hours before the show. I called out to my boss, who was in the back room, that I was heading out. All he did was mumble before I rushed out of the store. I sighed heavily as we began to walk down south street.

"Everything okay?" You questioned.

"Oh, yeah." I chuckled as I smiled at you. "It's just my boss. He was being a real dick today. I don't know what was stuck up his ass." I shook my head, trying to rid the thoughts of my bad day.

I can't remember what your response was, but it was so sweet that I couldn't stop smiling after you said it. It was that moment I had realized I was completely head over heels for you. Although we haven't spoke about the way we felt toward each other, it was obvious that you felt the same way.

"Here we are." You spoke as we turned the corner of south and second street.

"You live right here?!" I exclaimed as we approached the doors to your apartment building. You giggled at my enthusiasm. "I didn't know you lived this close to me. And to live right on south street, that must be exciting."

"It can be." You agreed as you led me up the stairwell. "Living a block away from my job has it's pro's and con's though. I can see the place from my balcony for gods sake." You laughed as you stopped in front of a door.

A label on the door identified the room as Apt. 182. You slid the key into the lock and looked up at me before opening the door. "Don't mind if the place is a mess," You began opening the door. "My roommate has been out all day and I haven't had a chance to clea-"

Behind the door stood a guy with nothing but a small white towel wrapped around his waist. He quickly turned once sensing the presence of us. He stepped away from the counter with a cup of water in hand. A sly smile grew across his face once he took notice of me as I stood awkwardly behind you. I felt a sudden pang of jealousy as I saw your wide eyed reaction. "What are you doing here!"

"What?" He asked calmly with a raise of his eyebrows. "You've never had a problem with me here before." I studied cocky facial expression. Something about this guy was strangely familiar. He looked at me once more and I darted my eyes to the floor rapidly.

"How'd you get in here?" Your voice was uneasy as you shut the door behind us.

I've been in some crazy predicaments with girls I was just hooking up with but this was different. I was determined to make you mine. I didn't want anything or anyone getting in the way of that. Especially this guy. Who was he anyways? I bit my bottom lip and prayed that he wasn't someone you were hooking up with, leaving me to the side.

The guy chuckled, bringing my attention back up to him. He rubbed the back of his neck before stuttering. The position he was now standing in triggered a vivid memory. I've seen him from somewhere, but where? I don't recall ever meeting this guy. With his hand still on the back of his neck, he looked at me. And that's when it hit me. He was the douche bag on one of the flyers I posted in the record store. He was standing in the same pose on the flyer. "Uh-" He stammered before taking a sip of water.

"Owen, who's-" A voice came from an opened door of the apartment. A blonde girl appeared in the doorway and hesitated as she looked at me in shock. She was wrapped in a towel as well. It was obvious what these two have been up to. My jealously subsided but an overwhelming feeling of awkwardness took over.

I've seen this girl before. I studied her body language as she ran a hand through her hair, which suddenly made me realize where I've seen her before. She was the girl that dropped the flyers off at the record store; the flyers promoting the half naked guy's show. He was still standing before us. "Anastashia!" You exclaimed.

The blonde bit her bottom lip as she looked toward the douche bag cover boy. He took one look at her and erupted into laughter.

"What- uh, you know what-" You sputtered. "I don't even want to know what you've been doing with my brother." Anastashia kept her eyes locked on me as you spoke. You looked at me confused, then turned back to her. She stood awkwardly, adjusting the towel around her chest. "I'm sorry," You spoke softly as you turned to me. "This is a terrible way to meet my roommate and brother." You said, shooting a glare toward your brother

I shrugged. I let out a small chuckle of relief that he wasn't who I thought he was. "It's-"

"We've already met before." Your roommate spoke up.

"What?" You looked at her confused. "You have?"

You instantly became uncomfortable as you had the same thought. You hoped I wasn't some guy she has hooked up with before as you turned to see my reaction. "Uh, yeah." I began. "She came into the record store to drop off a few flyers to promote tonight's show."

"Oh you did?" Your brother spoke up.

"Yeah, dip shit. I did." Anastasia spoke. "That's my job."

"And is it your job to sleep with the artists as well?" You retorted.

"No." Anastasia glared at you. "And you know I don't like being called by my full name. It's Anas." With that, she disappeared into the bedroom she was standing in front of.

"Owen," you sighed. "Shouldn't you be at the venue sound checking or something?"

"Already did." He winked and followed Anas into the bedroom.

-

Gerard sped through the busy morning streets of Philadelphia to 1910 Green Street. His heart sank at the sight of the empty parking spot in front of Frank's apartment building. Gerard pulled into the spot and placed his car in park. He opened the car door with no regard for the car's driving past him on the narrow one way road. He shoved the keys deeply in his pocket as he rushed up the stairs.

Out of breath, Gerard reached the door of Frank's apartment. He knocked on the door roughly, "Frank!" He pleaded. He paused for a moment and placed his ear to the door.

Silence.

"Fuck, Frank." Gerard growled angrily as he yanked on the door knob. The door flew open unexpectedly, revealing the disheveled empty apartment. He stepped in slowly, confused. Frank never leaves the door unlocked, he thought.

Gerard made his way through the apartment, stepping over the occasional dirty piece of clothing that rested on the unswept floor. He hoped Frank was just still in bed asleep as he approached the bedroom. He's here, Gerard convinced himself. He took a deep breath and clenched his bloodshot eyes. "He's here." He spoke softly before opening his eyes, taking sight of the bedroom.

Nothing but an unmade bed and more dirty clothing occupied the room. Frank was no where to be found. Gerard sat on the edge of the bed, trying to steady his breathing as he dialed his brothers phone number.

He anxiously tapped his foot on the dirty floor, becoming more impatient with each ring. "Hey-"

"Mikey!" Gerard exclaimed quickly.

"Hah, got you. I can't get to the phone right now. Leave a message and I'll get back-"

Gerard cursed Mikey's immature answering machine and waited for the beep. "Mikey, please tell me you've heard from Frank." He paused as he ran a hand through his hair. "I'm worried."

Gerard ended the call and let the phone fall to his lap. He shifted his gaze toward the queen sized bed. The bed once had two pillows; one for you and one for Frank. Your side of the bed was now vacant of a pillow. Instead was a jumbled up blanket. Gerard pictured Frank restlessly throwing the blanket aside as he woke alone in the morning, leaving it to rest where you once lay.

It's been a week since you've been gone. This was the first time Gerard could make it to Philadelphia to check on how Frank was doing. Gerard had spoken to him the night before, reminding him that he'd be coming down early in the morning. Frank was quiet and didn't seem like himself on the phone, but Gerard was understanding. He's never lost anyone. Not like this.

Gerard felt a single tear fall down his cheek as his phone began to ring. He answered without even looking at the caller I.D. "Frank?" He said, voice full of hope.

"No, Gee. Its Sabrina." She paused for a moment, sensing his anticipation. "Mikey is still sleeping, everything alright?"

"I-I can't find Frank." Gerard sniffled into the phone.

"Wh-what do you mean?" Sabrina asked.

"I can't find him." Gerard repeated. "Anywhere. I can't find him anywhere." He rambled as he looked around the room. His eyes laid upon a picture of you and Frank on the nightstand. He stared at the picture before breaking down into tears. Sabrina began to speak but Gerard continued. "I loved her just as much as he did, Jacks."

"I know." Sabrina frowned. "We all did. But you have to stay strong for Frank. It'd kill him to see you so upset." Gerard nodded, unsure what to say as he wiped his nose with the sleeve of his jacket. "Where are you now?"

"Their apartment." He managed.

"Where else have you looked for him?"

"I've been driving through these hectic streets of Philly all fucking morning. This is my second time stopping by his apartment. He won't answer any of my calls." Gerard stood, making his way into the kitchen. He searched the dirty counter for a note or something that would lead him to where Frank was.

"Is his car there?" She asked. "Maybe he just went for a walk or something.

"His car isn't here."

"Maybe he went for a drive." Sabrina reasoned. They both fell silent. Gerard was running out of hope and Sabrina felt hopeless.

"I'm going to try calling him again." Gerard spoke softly. "When your boyfriend wakes up have him call me please."

"I will, gee."

"Thanks, jacks."

-

"Who was that?" Mikey asked groggily, rubbing his face. He turned to pull his girlfriend into his arms before opening his eyes. Instead of wrapping his arm around her waist as expected, he found his hand at her ankles. He opened his tired eyes to see she was sitting up in bed. Her back was against the headboard and she had her knees pulled up to her chest. "Babe?" Mikey's heart skipped a beat as he sat up quickly, noticing a tear streaming down her cheek.

"Gerard called." She said, wiping away the tear. "He can't find Frank."

Mikey forced a sympathetic smile in hopes of it being contagious. Sabrina kept a straight face as she peered into her boyfriends eyes. "Maybe he just went for a walk." Mikey said.

"That's what I told Gerard, but-" Sabrina looked to her knees. "He was just so frantic on the phone, Mikey. I've never heard Gerard like that. Something is wrong." She shook her head. "Really wrong."

Mikey took her into his arms, rocking her softly as he kissed the top of her head. He was grateful he still had his girlfriend to hold. "Sabrina. Everything is going to be okay." He soothed.

"There's something wrong." She insisted. "He's been out there all alone for a week, Mikey. Who knows where he is or what he's done. A week is an awful long time to be completely alone. Especially in his case." Mikey didn't have the words to calm down his worried girlfriend. All he did was hold her a bit tighter and wipe away a few more tears. "I miss her." She whispered.

"I miss her too."