Not the American Average

Ch. 4 Shopping with Carla

The next morning I woke up at four o'clock and grunted, knowing that I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep since I had fallen asleep so early the previous night. I knew that I should probably attempt to get more sleep so I laid my head back on my pillow and closed my eyes. I tossed and turned for the next two hours until I gave up and decided that I would get up and take a shower to start off my day. I came back into my room with a towel wrapped around my waist and searched for some clothes to put on. I felt that I should wear an Asking Alexandria shirt, so I got the only one I owned with the guys on it and threw it on with a pair of dark denim shorts. Afterwards I decided that I needed to do something with my hair, because it was frumpy when I just dried it.

I grabbed the blow dryer and some hair product, grunting since I hated when I added stuff into my hair, and evenly put the product into my hair. After I plugged in the dryer and started to dry my hair, I scrunched it so it would add volume and a little bit of curl. Like normal, my hair didn't curl, but there was a little bit of volume in it, so it did work. I looked at myself in the mirror and my eyes looked sad, like they do when I get ready for school. I wasn't the makeup kind of girl, but it looked like I was in need of it today. I applied a little bit of eyeliner and mascara just for a little touch of makeup since I also hated when I had makeup on. I wasn't your normal or average teenage girl.

Once I was finally finished getting ready it was seven-thirty and my stomach was growling. I left my room and walked down the hallway, walking into the large kitchen. I wasn't sure on what I was going to eat, so I started to search the pantries until my eyes landed on Peanut Butter Cheerios. They weren't the best, but they were super easy to measure out the serving size and I really didn't feel like looking for anything else to eat. I was picky in the mornings. I pulled out a bowl, a measuring cup and the milk and started to make the cereal.

Once everything was measured proportionally, I sat down at the dining room table and started to eat my breakfast. The house was quiet since my dog, Angel was locked up in her cage, and my cat, Luna, was most likely sleeping somewhere. Sometimes it gets lonely during the summer and that's when I wish I had a younger brother or sister. Yeah, I know my mom's pregnant now, but that doesn't matter. In two years I'll be leaving the house and she'll be left to raise another baby all over again. The great thing about this though, I have a built in babysitter for when I have kids, if I do.

I finished my cereal and walked down to my bathroom, and opened my cabinet to take my medicine. I get headaches a lot, so my doctor has me on medication for that, my allergies are horrible so I take an allergy pill at night, which I didn't take last night, and I take a b.c. pill at night as I call it and I didn't take that one either. I took my b.c and headache pill out of their containers and swallowed them dry since I had forgotten to grab me a cup of water before I walked down here. After I was done with that, I walked into my room to check my phone. I had a message from Carla on Facebook. I opened my app and clicked on the message once it loaded.

Hey, I'm coming over right now. I know it's a little early, but I had some last minute plans come up today. Hope you're up and ready.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed my purse, checking to make sure my wallet was in it and threw my phone inside. I walked back into the kitchen and up to the fridge where my mom had her notepad. I was going to write her that I was leaving.

Mom, I went with Carla to the mall. She came and picked me up at around eight-thirty. I'm sorry I left so early. Love you.

After that I went to go and sit on the porch. I waited for about another thirty minutes which made it a little past nine and she pulled up into the driveway. I walked down and got into her Black Mustang on the passenger side and threw her a quick smile before she took off down my street. I knew that we weren't going to talk, so I didn't plan on making any conversation with her. She was the one who had invited me, yes, but we don't exactly know each other and I don't even know if she really listens to Asking Alexandria. When she started to talk to me, I about had a heart attack.

"So, how has your summer been treating you, Amelia? Are you excited to go see Asking Alexandria? I know I am." She asks with a huge smirk on her face.

I held my breath for a second, unsure of what to say.

"It's been great so far, and yes, I'm totally excited to go and see them! Who's your favorite in the band?" I ask, trying to see if she truly is a fan.

She looks over at me and grins, as if knowing that she knows what I'm thinking and says, "Ben's my favorite, but James has a really nice body, from the drums of course. Who's yours?"

Holy shiz crackers she actually knows their names, so she really is a fan. I probably have this "I can't believe you actually listen to this band" look on my face and I should remove it.

"Well, Danny and Ben have always been my favorites, but now that Ben's married, I guess just Danny. I've always had a thing for singers." I say, not sure on what to actually say to her, because I couldn't comprehend that she actually did listen to Asking Alexandria.

She nodded her head and pressed the play button on her steering wheel that I hadn't noticed was there when I had gotten into the car. Reckless and Relentless started to play and I just sat back and listened to the music, not letting her get me, even though I think she is. We could actually become friends after this if she really wasn't the slut I took her for anymore.

...

An hour later we arrived at the mall which was fortunately opened. I wasn't sure when the mall actually did open, so that much didn't matter. I only wanted to hit up Hot Topic, so I figured we would just split up.

"So, where all do you want go to, Amelia?" She asks me, with a devious look in her eyes.

I bite my lip and think up and answer, because I didn't want to be dragged around the mall all day, but that's what happens when you go with someone else.

"I was thinking just Hot Topic." I mumble, unsure if she had actually heard ne.

"Oh, for what? You can't wear anything to the concert from there." She says, grabbing my hand and dragging me towards a dress store.

Why did I agree to this? I could have just went all by myself and bought my own outfit for the concert. Instead now I'm going to be forced to wear some ridiculously short dress to the concert. I'll just sneak back up here sometime next week, return the dress, buy something from Hot Topic and there we go, I have my perfect planned out outfit for the concert.

"This would look so cute on you!" She says, holding up a little black dress that looks like it would barely go over my butt.

"Carla, I'm not really into dresses." I say, trying not to upset her, but at the same time, trying to get her to let me go up to Hot Topic.

She frowns at me and keeps looking around the store. My eyes land on a really pretty purple dress and I try not to show my interest in it, but Carla sees and she walks up to it and pulls it off the rack. It definitely looks like it will cover my butt and most of my thighs and that I will be very comfortable in it. She smiles at me and nods at the dress, pleased at it. I look at the dress and grumble to myself. It was a hundred dollars and I would have to go and buy heels now for this.

"Don't grumble about the price. I have a coupon for the store and I see that look in your eyes and I know how you walk. Instead of making you buy a pair of heels you're getting a pair of black converses. I also have a coupon for a shoe store." She says, smiling at me.

Maybe it was a great idea to go shopping with Carla today. She's going to help me stick to a budget and help me not break my back. She goes searching for a dress and she pulls out the little black dress that she had picked for me earlier and smiles. She gives me her coupon and I look down at it. It's a make any purchase of a hundred dollars and get fifty taken off. Awesome coupon if I do say so myself.

I walked up to the register and they rung up the dress, I handed them the coupon and they frowned when it went through. The dress was only fifty-six dollars, and I could most definitely work with that. We walked down to the shoe store that Carla had the coupon for and I walked in the back to the converses. The shoes were on sale at the moment and the coupon took ten dollars off any purchase immediately, so I would only have to pay about fifteen dollars for the shoes. Carla had saved me a lot of money for the day and I was very grateful for that. I paid for the shoes and waited to the side for Carla to pay for hers. Once we were finished we went down to the food court for a bite to eat, but I wasn't hungry yet.

After Carla ate, we headed back to the mustang and she threw her bags in the trunk while I kept mine in the front, so I'd be ready to get out when we pulled up to my house. We didn't talk much the ride home. Just a few side conversations about the band and how excited we were about the concert. We didn't listen to any music and I just sat quietly, waiting to get home. It was a long drive when you had nothing to talk about. When we pulled up I grabbed my bags and stepped out of the mustang.

"Thank you for today, Carla. It was really kind of you to bring the coupons. I'll see you at the concert!" I say, and start walking towards my house.

I hear the mustang pull out and roar down the road. I smiled and walked in, knowing that I had a good day and that we would have fun at the concert. At least I hoped we would have fun at the concert.