Not the American Average

Ch. 5 Drving to the Venue and Peer Pressure

The next three weeks flew by and I was getting even more excited and nervous for the concert. Carla and I had kept in contact over the weeks to discuss what were going to do and then it just turned out that we actually had a lot in common and she was actually a really nice person and I really needed to stop judging people before actually getting to know them. When I showed my mom the dress, she wasn't very thrilled over it, but she was happy to see me dressing in something pretty for the concert, so it meant that I got to go to the concert in the dress.

I was going to apply a very little amount of makeup because the concert was most likely going to make me a sweaty mess and I didn't want my mascara running if I had the chance to meet the guys. I was also going to curl my hair and hope and pray that it would actually stay like that throughout the concert, but knowing my hair, it wouldn't. I was starting to get nervous as the time ticked and the closer I got to getting into my car. I finished my hair and makeup and grabbed my purse and started to walk out of the house, but was grabbed by my mother.

"Amelia, I want you to be safe. Don't do anything stupid and make sure to have fun, but not too much fun. I love you." She says, and gives me a death hug.

I smiled and hugged her back, knowing that all the worrying that she did was only for the best.

"I love you too, mom. You know I'll be safe and as long as I remember, I'll call you after the concert is over. Don't worry if I don't call though, because you know I have a bad memory. Now I have to go or I'll be waiting forever in a line for a concert that I've been excited for, for months!" I tell her and walk off towards my car.

I pull my keys out of my purse and start my car and start to back out of the driveway. I honk the horn and press the play button on my stereo, waiting patiently for whatever cd I was listening to last to start playing. Bring Me the Horizon starts to play and I start to sing, smiling as Can You Feel My Heart blasts through my speakers. I knew that this would be what I would be listening to for the next hour and that seemed like a pretty decent hour if I do say so myself.

Once And the Snakes Start to Sing started to play I got bored and switched the station over to a local radio station and grunted as I heard Lady Gaga blaring through my speakers. I flicked through the stations until I found a rock station playing Nirvana's song Smells Like Teen Spirit and started to sing at the top of my lungs to the song. What can I say, its a good song. After that song ended, Halestorm started to play and I shrugged and kept it on the radio station, content with the music that they were playing.

I saw the Welcome to North Carolina sign and smiled, glad that I had made it this far, and also glad that I only had about another thirty minutes and I would make it to the venue and I would be at the concert. Somehow, I swear the music station knew I had just been listening to Bring Me the Horizon because Hospital for Souls started to play and smiled and turned the radio up even louder than what I already had it, smirking as I stopped at a red light. I got a look from the pedestrians walking and I just smiled and waved, knowing that my music was bothering them, and I wasn't going to turn it down because I loved this song and it was even better that it was playing on the radio.

Once the song ended, I turned the radio down and focused on my driving, trying to get to the venue as soon as possible. There was no way I wanted to be one of the last fans to get in line and wait forever to get into the concert. The earlier you are, the better chance you have at seeing band arriving, and the quicker you get into the venue. I was a really impatient person and I couldn't help that, but that's how I was.

As I got closer to the venue, I got more excited and my hands became so sweaty that I could barely grip the steering wheel. I was also becoming nervous, which could also be why I was having problems gripping the steering wheel but I ignored it. When I pulled up to the venue, there were people looking at the tickets and I had to quickly pull mine out to show that I had mine and that the parking was also paid for and then I was directed to a parking spot. When I stepped out, I grabbed my purse, threw my keys in and locked my car and started to walk up to the venue.

There was at least a hundred people ahead of me, so I called Carla to see where she was and to see if she was in line or not. The phone rang three times until she answered.

"Hello?" She answers.

There was a lot of background noise behind her so I figured that she was already here.

"Hey, its Amelia. I was just calling to see if you were here yet." I say, trying not to sound rude or crabby.

She snorts into her phone and says, "Of course I'm here. I was the first person here this morning. I got a hotel out here for the weekend, so I could be the first person in line and so I wouldn't be exhausted to drive home. Where are you?"

"I'm all the way in the back. I'll see you inside." I say, going to hang up on her.

"Absolutely not, Amelia. You march your butt up here and get in line with me." She says, like its no big deal.

"But that isn't fair to the other people who were here before me." I say, being the goodie little two shoes that I am.

"Just walk on up here. There's not even that many people here. Who care's what they think." She says.

I hung up on her and started to walk through the line, muttering an excuse me every here and there, and an I'm sorry and something like that. I didn't do good under peer pressure. I never did, and when I was under it, I normally gave in after the second or third pressured. Once I was to the front, Carla was smirking and the people behind her were frowning and yelling at me for cutting line. I felt like crying at that moment, but I didn't and I just ignored the people behind me because I knew what I had done was wrong, and that they had every right to yell at me. At some point they stopped yelling at me and we all continued to wait patiently in the line to be let into the concert.