Status: Completed

Esia's Protector

Indecsent Proposal

Vergil and I waited outside the bathing room for Esia to come out. I have to be careful around Vergil because if I don’t, he might get tired and kill me in a blink of an eye unless I do something very risky that even he couldn’t expect. My eyes slowly glance to his sword that he held in his hand, “patience is virtue; not enough patience leading to my death,” that is what my grandmother would say. The double doors opened.

“Is the girl ready to be sacrificed yet?” asked Vergil.

“After she finishes with her privacy, she is to be escorted by the two demons guarding her to the pillar,” he said, “By that time, Fury should be back after he finishes with---,” Vergil interrupted Richard as he stepped forward.

“Fury, won’t be able to beat, Dante. And as I said before, I’ll be the one to kill Dante,” he stated.

Vergil turned on his heels and went his way. Of course, since I’m "their" priestess, I have to follow behind Vergil for the sacrificial ceremony. Ten blocks later, when it was just me and Vergil by ourselves in the hallway, I snatched his sword out of his hand and made a very quick dash.

It was obvious that I had to win Vergil over to my side (if that was even possible). I need to give him legit reason to not follow Richards commands. Making a quick glance behind me, I saw him running right behind me. I’ve started turning corners until I ran into a dead end.

I was standing on top of the tower. I saw rocks and a strange color ocean water. Slowly turning around to face Vergil. He stood there a good distance away from me.

“Hand me back my sword, girl” he said.

“Vergil, please. Listen to my reasoning? “I pleaded. “Richard is not going to give you power if the sacrifice is successful, he’s going to go back on his word,” I stated.

“I don’t need him to obtain power, Janet” he said.

Vergil stepped an inch closer and I took an inch backward.

“Give me back my sword,” he said as he extended his hand.

I shook my head slowly.

“No,” I said boldly.

I took a deep breath before I spoke.

“There are more things in life than just power, Vergil. And I---,” but he cut across me.

“Power is everything,” he said coldly.

“POWER isn’t everything,” I retorted.

Vergil stopped in his tracks.

“Vergil, I wish to be by your side, if you only give me a chance,” I said sadly.

Vergil scoffed at me.

“Listen to yourself. What are you saying? You a human, loves a half demon like me? I care only for power and I can never give you what you want out of me,” he said.

I placed the sword of over the ledge as though I’m threaten to drop it.

“I know what you are? And I don’t care,” I tearfully said, “Love is love regardless of how evil or good a person may be inside and out,” I said.

Vergil was silent as I continued talking.

“Like I said…. I want to be by your side, Vergil,” I said.

“If it means getting sword back,” he said.

“I’ll give you back your sword. But promise me you will not strike me down,” I said.

Vergil sighed before stepping closer to me. He extended his hand.

“I promise,” he stated.

I placed my hand into his as I stepped down the ledged and gave him back his sword. It took us sometime before we walked back into the building. We were silent the rest of the way.

****

I should have killed Janet after she’d snatched my sword out of my hand. I don’t know why I didn’t kill her (because she is the only one that could read the ancient text). She was just another human who was going to be disposable after the ceremony was over with. However, I’ll give it to her, she has a lot of guts for pulling that stunt. And has the nerve to propose to me.

The only reason why I accepted her proposal because I wanted my sword back. As for Janet, what of her? She is an expendable as Richard when all of this is finally over. Ultimate power will be mine.