Status: We are what we are; don't need no excuses for the scars from our mothers, and we know what we know 'cause we're made of all the little bones of our fathers.

The Last Wolf

Chapter Seventeen

“Doc!” someone screeched. “Doc, she’s waking up!” I groaned as I tried to roll on my side. “No, don’t move.”

“What’s-“

“You lost a lot of blood.”

“Colt bit me. It wasn’t that-“

“It’s very bad.”

I opened my eyes and blinked rapidly for a moment. My eyes focused on fiery red hair. I tried to sit up, but pain rocketed through my arm and shoulder. The girl who argued with Colt earlier, Phoenix, grabbed my uninjured arm to pull me into a sitting position. She helped me lean against the wall. “How long-“

“Two days.” She nodded. “You tried to eat Raider after your human side faded out. You wouldn’t look at Colt when he tried to talk you down. Doc had to knock you out just to sew you up.”

“Sew?”

“Yeah, Raider called you Patchwork for few hours before PB got upset.”

“PB?”

“Pretty Boy,” she smiled and pointed to Macon’s body curled awkwardly in in a chair, “the twit over there in the corner. He doesn’t want you to think less of him because you’re the only other full blooded werewolf in existence that we know about. He stayed with you the whole time.” She patted my leg. “Poor thing couldn’t keep his eyes open any longer.”

White River walked into the room. Phoenix smiled brightly. “Look who’s awake,” she laughed.

He nodded as he stared at me. “Hold out your arm,” he instructed. I wrinkled my nose. “We cannot repeat the first time I bandaged your arm.”

“I don’t remember last time.” I tried to stretch my arm out. “Why does it hurt so much?”

“The teeth went straight through your muscle tissue.” White River cut the gauze.

“He, um, he-“

“No, it was an accident. You startled him after Macon scared him. Viper and Phoenix got you lose.”

“No we didn’t!” The girl shook her head until her hair flew around her. “She, I mean, you talked him down while I prepared myself for war.”

“Everything is war for you, Phoenix,” White River smirked.

“You have no idea, Doc.” She watched as he pealed the bandage away from my stained skin. The wiry black thread made the bite seem worse. She walked out of the room rubbing her stomach as Macon shifted in his chair.

“I don’t know why she’s so squeamish,” White River dipped a clean bandage in a bowl and dabbed at the bloodstains, “her mom was a purebred Phoenix. She saw her mother’s death and rebirth when she was seven years old.”

“Where are the rest-“

“Outside,” he said as I flinched. “Even the boys and girls who have not met you yet are worried.”

“How many are there?”

“Twelve all together; you have met half of them, I think.” He wrapped my arm in dry gauze before releasing my arm.

“I want to see Colt.”

White River glanced at Macon before he leaned closer to me. “He-“ he lowered his head. “Shadow left after I put you to sleep.”

“What?”

“Shadow is gone.” White River stood up and looked at me with an unusual perplexing countenance.

“Doc,” Macon stated. He sat straight in his chair.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm giving you guys two chapters this week for two reasons. #1. I didn't give you a chapter at all last week (I'm so sorry!). #2. We got reviewed in the magazine. Well, maybe three reasons since it is almost weekly update day. I couldn't skip this story for two weeks in a row.