Sequel: Stealing Glances
Status: COMPLETE- Sequel Stealing Glance is up!

Making Hits for Your Heart

Track Twenty-Six

December 2013

John had been back from the Europe tour and played the final show of 2013 for The Maine in LA. He had spent the rest of that week with Jamison in Venice before heading back down to Arizona.

Mostly due to John’s persistence, Jamison had decided to spend Christmas once again with John and the rest of the O’Callaghan clan. She had flown down from Los Angeles the day before Christmas Eve.

John had picked her up from the airport and began driving to his place before dropping off some of Jamison’s things then heading over to his parents for dinner while spending the next few nights there for the holidays.

“Don’t be nervous, my parents love you. My mom was so happy when I told her we were dating. I am pretty sure she was tearing up when I told her over the phone.” John teased as they began walking up to the front door.

“It’s different now, I’m not spending Christmas at your place as a friend. I’m coming as your… more than friend person—I don’t know. All I know is… it’s different now.” She tried to reason as John took out his key and began unlocking the door.

“It is. But you don’t have to worry.” He smiled, as he grabbed her by the wrist. “Mom! Dad! We’re here!” He yelled, as they walked through the front door and into the house.

“John! Jamison!” Jenny shouted happily, “Come in, come in.” she motioned them to come inside the living room where Jay, Shane, and Ross were sitting on the couch and watching TV.

“Hey mom.” John said as he dropped his backpack on the floor and gave his mother a hug.

“My sweets.” Jenny embraced her oldest happily as everyone had a smirk upon their faces as John sheepishly smiled at the situation. His mother always knew how to make him feel like a 7 year old within seconds of seeing each other.

“Jamison.” Jay said getting up from the couch along with Shane and Ross.

“Mr.—Jay.” Jamison said quickly saving herself from calling him Mr. O’Callaghan as the two embraced.

Jay chuckled, “Mr. Jay, I like it.”

“We are so happy you two are here.” Jenny gushed looking at the couple as they stood side by side.

“Happy to be here.” John smiled putting his arm around Jamison, who chuckled sheepishly.

“Jamison!” Ross shouted happily with open arms as he walked over to Jamison.

“Ross!” Jamison mimicked as she got out of John’s grasp and walked over to hug him.

“Jamison!” Shane yelled as he embraced Jamison and lifted her up causing Jamison to burst out in laughter.

She patted Ross and Shane’s faces affectionately with a smile. “Shane! Good to see your faces.”

“Less attractive brother…” Ross said looking over at John in a mock cringe.

“Shut up you knucklehead.” John said putting his brother into a headlock causing Shane and Jamison to laugh while watching the two wrestle a bit.

“How you landed her, I’ll never know.” Shane said crossing his arms while giving Jamison a smirk before John slapped the back of his head.

“I won’t either—it’ll be one of life’s greatest mysteries.” Ross said gathering himself together after the fiasco moments ago.

“Run while you can Jamison.” Shane said in a mock whisper causing John to smack his youngest brother’s head once more.

“Behave yourselves.” Jenny said sternly causing the three O’Callaghan boys to behave themselves immediately.

“We’re about ready to have dinner, why don’t the two of you go upstairs and freshen up and unpack?” Jay suggested with a smile as John began picking up his backpack from the floor and slung it over his shoulder.

“Alright.” John said grabbing Jamison by the hand and pulling her towards the staircase.

“We set up John’s room for both of you to stay in…” Jenny said as they walked up the staircase, “That isn’t presumptuous of us, is it?” She called out.

“No Ma, it’s fine.” John shouted feeling himself blush a bit.

“We’ll knock before coming in.” Ross shouted as he and Shane busted into fits of laughter.

John quickly pulled Jamison up the stairs and into his room letting out a relief sigh being away from the chaos that at times was his family.

“How embarrassing. I am sorry for that.” John mumbled sheepishly as he scratched the back of his neck averting his gaze from Jamison.

Jamison shook her head and laughed, “It’s cute.”

“So, are you ready for the annual 8123 Christmas Eve party tomorrow?” He asked completely changing the subject as he set his backpack down.

“If I wear 8123 gear to the party, am I lame or awesome?” She asked jokingly with a laugh.

John smirked, “Simultaneously, both.”

“Noted.” She nodded laughing as John pulled her into his embrace.

“This feels weird—a good kind of weird.” He mumbled burying his face into the crook of her neck.

“How so?”

“It’s like a start over from last year except we’re doing it the right way.” He said, pulling back and looking at her. “I love you.” He smiled giving a quick peck on the lips.

“I love you too.”

The next day was Christmas Eve, Jamison and John had spent the first half of the day with John’s family. Jamison and Jenny making Christmas treats while the O’Callaghan men were watching television.

“I’m so glad you’re here with us Jamison.” Jenny gushed, as she and Jamison were decorating Christmas cookies in the kitchen together. “Jay and I so happy you two are together.”

“Thank you for always welcoming me here.” Jamison smiled. “And that means a lot to me.”

“It’s our pleasure…” Jenny smiled. “John’s never properly brought a girl home nor has he ever brought a girl who was just a friend home. So when I first met you I knew you were special.”

Jamison blushed feeling completely flustered by Jenny’s kind words. “Thank you so much.”

“No, thank you.” Jenny put her hands on top of Jamison’s and gave it an affectionate squeeze. “Honestly, I remember when John told us he was going to quit school and pursue music and like most parents we were worried, scared, and to a certain extent—against it. But watching him grow into the man he is now… I am so proud of him. He wouldn’t be who he is if he hadn’t taken the path he had chosen. And it never truly hit me how much my son is affecting the world with what he does till what you said last Christmas. That what he does is a gift of some sort with a bit of magic… I never really thought of it that way so thank you for that.” She said looking at Jamison with sincere gratitude before going back to decorating her cookies.

“You’re welcome.”

Later that night, John and Jamison had driven to the 8123 offices to attend the annual 8123 Christmas Eve party. The two walked in hand in hand to immediately be greeted by familiar faces.

“Jamison!” Eric yelled from across the room raising his arms up in the air as he walked over to her.

“Halvo!” Jamison yelled letting go of John’s hand and jumping into Eric’s arms.

“Hey girl hey.” Eric said, in a sassy falsetto.

“Good to see your face.”

“Same.” He smiled, “Oh, and you…” Eric mock cringed as he looked at John who chuckled in disbelief at the sass he was getting from one of his oldest friends.

“See if I let you come home tomorrow night.” John said as he put his arm around Jamison’s shoulder.

“Says the dude who chooses to live in the garage.” Eric responded as he rolled his eyes at John’s empty words.

“Play nice kids.” Jamison said laughing at the two.

“Jae!” Joel shouted as he walked up behind Eric and opened his arms to hug Jamison.

“Joel!” Jamison said embracing Joel who gave her one of his signature heartfelt hugs.

“It’s been too long seeing your adorable face.” Joel said causing Jamison to laugh.

“I miss the ego boots and your glorious face as well Mr. Kantiz.”

“So how long are you here?”

“New Years Day , I gotta go back to work.” She said looking a bit dissatisfied by her own answer.

“Is there anyway John can kidnap you to go to Manila with us?” Joel asked with a smile.

“I wish. But I am needed in the studio.” She shook her head in mock disappointment.

“Next time.”

“Next time.” Jamison said with a smile.

Joel put his arm around Jamison’s shoulder before looking at John with a smirk, “I’m stealing your girlfriend to introduce her to my girlfriend and just smooze.”

“Please bring her back soon.” John said in mock worry, “I worry she won’t come back.”

“No promises.” Joel said teasingly as the two walked off together.

“You really love her…” Eric said looking over at John with a smirk.

“What makes you say that?” John asked not taking his eyes off Jamison who was being introduced to Joel’s girlfriend and reuniting with Jared’s girlfriend.

“The googly eyes, the perma-smile you have on your face, and… you’re kind of happy in a way I’ve never seen before and I’ve known you a long ass time.” Eric chuckled as he looked over at Jamison.

“It’s comfortable yet still somewhat new and exciting, she gets the life I live and is living it, I am learning to be the best version of myself when I’m with her, we give and take—we’re a team. What’s not to be happy about?” John explained, still grinning as he looked over at Eric for a moment before focusing his gaze back at Jamison.

“You got it bad…” Eric smirked as he watched one of his best friend’s in a blissful daze of sorts.

“I do… no shame.” He admitted shaking his head.

After the party, John and Jamison were back at the house in John’s room sitting on his bed and exchanging gifts with one another just like they had done a year ago.

“This feels like déjà vu.” Jamison said sheepishly before handing John a neatly wrapped box.

He laughed, “Kind of does.”

“My gift to you.”

John began opening the neatly wrapped gift to see a mix cd, sweater, Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker’s ‘Damn The Torpedos’ vinyl, and an envelope.

“Is this the original pressing for ‘Damn The Torpedoes’?” He asked examining the vinyl.

“Yes it is.” She smiled. “Good eye.”

John kissed her cheek and smiled. “You’re amazing.” He said before opening the mysterious envelope.

3 Jamison Song Coupons for anything John Cornelius O’Callaghan the Fifth’s hearts desires (within reason and doesn’t make Jamison Jae In Song want to die on the inside).

* Can’t not ask for more coupons and non-transferable to other people.


“This could be very useful.” He teased waving the handmade coupon she had made him.

“You only get three. Use them wisely.” She said with a chuckle as John got up from his bed and sat in front of his keyboard.

“So, this is my gift to you. I never know what to get the girl who has everything…” He smiled sheepishly before putting his hands on the keyboard. “But I tried.”

“What are you doing?” She asked looking a bit confused as John warmed his hands up by playing a few chords.

“This one is for you…” He said as he began playing the piano and singing a song she had never heard before.

Been up all night staring at you
Wondering what's on your mind
I've been this way with so many before but this feels like the first time

You want the sunrise to go back to bed
I want to make you laugh

Mess up my bed with me
Kick off the covers
I'm waiting
Every word you say I think I should write down
Don't want to forget come daylight

Happy to lay here
Just happy to be here
I'm happy to know you
Play me a song
Your newest one
Please leave your taste on my tongue

Paperweight on my back
Cover me like a blanket

Mess up my bed with me
Kick off the covers
I'm waiting
Every word you say I think I should write down
Don't want to forget come daylight

And no need to worry
That's wasting time
And no need to wonder what's been on my mind
It's you
It's you
It's you

Every word you say I think I should write down
Don't want to forget come daylight

And I give up
I let you win
You win 'cause I'm not counting

You made it back to sleep again
Wonder what you're dreaming


“Did you write that?” She asked completely speechless by what she had just heard.

“I did… for you.” He said giving her a lazy smile and getting up from his seat walking over to his backpack and grabbing something from it. “And made you this mix CD.” He laughed handing her a jewel case.

“I—there are no words.” Jamison was completely speechless and in awe of what had just happened.

John smiled as he kissed Jamison.

“Merry Christmas Jamie.”

“Merry Christmas John.”

---------

January 2014

Jamison was sitting in Butch’s studio working on things. Brendan had come into town for work and Butch, Brendan, and Jake had decided to take the afternoon off and go motorcycle riding together. Jamison’s cell phone began to ring she checked caller ID to see it was Jonathan Daniel, her manager.

“What do I owe this pleasure Mr. Daniel?” She answered jokingly causing Jonathan to chuckle on the other line.

“Jamison, I have lots of news for you today…” He said sounding completely excited.

“Do tell Mr. Daniel.”

“You know you are like the Betty White of producers…” Jonathan began Jamison knew that meant he had big news.

“That’s not true.” She chuckled sheepishly.

“You’re hard to dislike.”

“Not true.” She assured him. “I am pretty sure there are several people who would like to see me out of this game.”

“Whatever your opinion is invalid right now while I am speaking…” Jonathan interjected causing Jamison to laugh.

“Okay. Go on.”

“So, ‘The Voice Australia’ wants you to be their musical director.” He said causing Jamison to wonder if she had misheard him.

“Who the hell told them that’d be a good idea and how did I even get on the TV radar?” She asked completely confused.

“Paul Mirkovich, Adam also talked you up, and Joel did too…” Jonathan replied as Jamison just shook her head in disbelief.

Of course, Paul, the musical director of The Voice US, Adam Levine, one of the coaches of The Voice US, and Joel Madden, one of the coaches of The Voice Australia would be the ones to open their mouths. She felt thankful that her friends always thought of her in high regard.

“I don’t even—“

“Maroon 5 wants you to also be their musical director for their Europe tour for 2 months—help out with Jesse’s parts since he is taking a sabbatical and rearrange songs for the tour.” He continued, “And Southern Cross University wants you also to do a guest lecturer residency while you are in Australia working on ‘The Voice’.”

“Wow. Okay.” Jamison said feeling speechless. It was like a ton of bricks were disguised as news hit her.

“This is a lot… I know.”

“How long?” She asked.

“It’d be tour starts in May… The Voice would be like 4~6 months and a semester for Southern Cross. So a little over a year—minimum.” Jonathan said, “But let’s be real, you’ll probably get some other gigs while working being who you are.” He had known Jamison too well and too long.

“Yeah…”

“Think about it. But I think as your friend and your manager. This is just going to open so many doors for you in so many ways.” He said encouragingly.

“I don’t have the experience to do what I’m being offered…” She explained, “I mean lecturing to students? I didn’t even graduate high school—“

“Who better than you to tell them about real life experience beyond the class room? I know public speaking freaks you out but we can work on that.”

“I’ve never been on tour beyond visiting friends…” She said as she began making a million excuses for why she shouldn’t—this is how it usually went when she was offered jobs that she felt like she didn’t deserve and Jonathan would always counter back.

“You know how to tour, you know it…”

“TV? Really?”

“Like you didn’t help Butch during the time when he was on ‘Rock Star’ Mark liked how you were on camera.” He reasoned.

“My sassy one liners don’t count.” She said, “He wants me to basically run an entire band and arrange songs.”

“You know you could do this job in your sleep. You’re one of the best at what you do. This is just another chance to open more doors and learn new things.” Jonathan explained, “Just think about it.”

“When do I have to decide?”

“The sooner the better. But know, you’re on the top of everyone’s list.”

“I’ll think about it…” She said letting out a sigh.

“Jae?”

“Yeah?”

“I believe in you, we all believe in you…” Jonathan said sincerely causing Jamison to ease up a bit.

“I know.” She said.

But the thing was John was on her mind.

Later that night, Brendan, Butch, Jake, and Jamison were all at Butch’s house in his backyard drinking and conversing over an open fire while trying to help Jamison with her dilemma.

“What do I do?” Jamison asked letting out a sigh as she took a sip of her wine.

“What do you want to do?” Butch asked as everyone’s eyes were on Jamison.

“I’m happy with what I have now. I am more than happy…” She said but everyone knew there was more she wanted to say.

“But?” Brendan probed while looking at her as she took another sip of her wine.

Jamison looked up at the open sky and let out another sigh. “When have I ever been one to not take the opportunities offered to me so I can expand my horizons?” She reasoned shrugging her shoulders as she took another sip of her wine.

“True…” Jake said as he fiddled with his bottle of beer.

“What would you guys do?” Jamison asked as Butch and Brendan looked at one another knowing what the other was thinking exactly.

Butch and Brendan didn’t speak a word to each other. Just silently nodded to one another before Brendan took a sip of his beer and Butch took in a deep breath.

“We’ve always been nothing but honest with you and we’re not going to stop now…” Butch began looking at Jamison who was staring off into her own world.

Jamison gestured to herself. “Lay it on me.” She said sounding completely unfazed by their words.

“If I wasn’t married to Nora, I’d take the jobs.” Butch answered honestly.

“Same with me. If Brittany and I weren’t married… I’d take the jobs too.” Brendan said as he and Butch looked at Jamison who seemed unsurprised by their answers.

“So, it’s that one thing that changes it—marriage?”

“I mean, we have kids now too but… honestly. You know I was married once before Nora when I was young and I just felt like I missed so many things and I resented her so much for holding me back and I hated myself for missing all the great opportunities I could’ve had.” Butch explained, “Those are my regrets.”

“You’re young. If might not feel like it at times since you’ve been doing this as long as you have. But you haven’t even hit your mid-20’s yet.” Brendan said.

“Which is a weird thing to process.” Jake added in causing Jamison to crack a smile.

She turned to Jake and looked at him. “What about you Sinclair? Would you take the opportunities?” She asked already knowing his answered but wanting to hear it with her own ears.

“I would.” Jake nodded, “I think if John loves you like he says he does… he’ll understand.”

“John is a good guy. He’ll get it. I mean you get his lifestyle.” Brendan reasoned as the other two nodded their heads in agreement.

“I mean I’m going to be on the other side of the world. At least right now, he comes back after a few months or I go out to see him. But if I take these jobs then—it’s just different.” She confessed shrugging her shoulders before sipping more of her wine.

“It is…” Butch agreed. “Listen, John could be the one for you. Who knows. All we know and can tell you is… think about yourself for once. Don’t think about what will make other people happy and shit like that. You should do what your heart wants and what’s going to make you not wake up one day and have the ‘what-if’s’ eat your brain.”

Jamison gave a half smile, “Thanks guys. I needed this.”

“Always.” Brendan said looking at her with a smile.

“You’re forever stuck with us.” Jake said jokingly causing everyone to laugh.

She clutched her chest in mock pain, “Oh, the horror.” She said sarcastically.

“It’ll all work out the way it’s suppose to.” Butch assured her as he took a sip of his wine.

Jake had driven Jamison and him back to his apartment. She went into the guest room and logged onto her laptop as well as Skype. Much to her surprise John had been on and began calling her to video chat. Jamison felt a mix of emotions but decided to push whatever worries she had and just talk to John—like nothing was wrong.

“Hey…” She answered not even realizing she sounded completely exhausted.

“Hey, you alright? You look stressed.” John asked looking worried.

“My mind is just somewhere else right now.” She admitted sheepishly as she ran her hand through her hair.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“No, I’m fine. I want to hear about your trip to Manila.” She said perking up a bit while trying to change the subject. “How was it?”

John let out a speechless chuckle as a huge smile formed upon his face. “Amazing.”

“How so?”

“Manila has such a special place inside my heart. They always make us feel so welcomed and loved. The shows always seem like a dream of some sort. But this time was extra special. We got to visit some of the families affected by the typhoon, donate water filtration systems, and even play basketball with the kids. It just made me feel so humbled and thankful that I am living this life and have such wonderful people in it and I also have a wonderful better half who I love and loves me back. It’s just all good vibes.” He explained sounding genuinely thankful and appreciative of everything causing Jamison to forget her worries and smile.

“That sounds amazing…”

“It was… it is.” He let out a content sigh, “What have you been up to?”

“Work… more work… and some more work.” She half joked causing John to chuckle.

“Don’t wear yourself out.”

“I’ll try.”

“You need a vacation.” He suggested causing Jamison to laugh.

“I just spent Christmas in Arizona.” She reasoned.

“You need a real one outside of this country.”

“Where to Mr. Travel Agent?” She asked as a smirk formed upon her face.

“We should make a trip out to Paris in the Spring. We don’t have any tour planned for around then cause we’re planning to do the entire run of Warped.” John suggested causing Jamison’s heart to falter a bit.

“That sounds nice…” She said, trying her hardest to sound optimistic to his suggestion.

“You look exhausted. You should go to bed.”

“I will.”

“You don’t look like you’re at Butch’s…” John said as he realized the background she was in wasn’t her room at Butch’s.

“Brendan flew out so I’m crashing with Jake and Liv.” She explained.

“What’s Brendan doing out there?”

“We just decided we reunite and Brendan had a meeting with Butch about Petty Fest…”

He smiled knowing how much it meant to Jamison to have all of them together. “It must be nice having a reunion of sorts all three of you together.”

“It involved lots of beer and wine. Well, not for Jake, he drove us back here.”

“Rest up.” He told her. “What work do you have tomorrow?”

“Jake and I are driving up to San Francisco the day after to work on Matt Nathanson’s album.”

“You should rest up.”

“I will.”

“I love you.”

“I do too…” She nodded. “Always remember that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
THIS ISN'T AN UPDATE. I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED THIS CHAPTER WHILE TRYING TO FIX SOMETHING. WITH THAT BEING SAID, MY BAD. MY BAD.

A/N:
What will Jamison do? I hope you guys are doing well! I’m trying my hardest not to lose momentum with this but it’s hard. So much writer’s block… but anyways, thank you for the recs/subs/comments—they are always welcome but not required (though, I would love to hear from you all!). The song used is Joshua Radin’s “Paperweight”—and what a wonderful song it is.

* I think I'm going to edit this entire story once it's finished, so till then bear with me!

Question of the day: Where is your biggest creative source (or motivation) coming from right now?

Personal Replies

dreamingyouhere-
I adore your stories and you. But oh man, I am glad you do. But these two, maybe they will, maybe they won’t. Who knows (I do, I actually have this whole thing planned out)… but I will hint things from the past chapters for foreshadowing the future for these two.

MichiamoNicola- It’s not exactly Australia but close enough. The wonderful place that is Australia will play a bigger role eventually. You’ll see!