The Last Drop

Chapter Four

Alex was last off stage after sound check, grabbing a bottle of water from the table by the stairs and chugging it. The only thing about sound check that made it better than actual performing was the decrease of sweat. His hair didn’t quite stick to his face though he could feel the damp roots when he ran his hand through it. His white t-shirt clung a little but nothing noticeable to anyone else.

He grabbed his rucksack, tossing the water bottle in and cinching the drawstring before sliding his arms through. He grabbed his sunglasses and snapback, similar to yesterday, apart from the new choice of headwear, before heading out the door. This time he wasn’t invited by one of the other guys and he didn’t both inviting them along either. He had a plan and it was going to go perfectly today.

There would be trouble if he were out longer than an hour in the rental car, since they had an interview tonight. He checked the watch on his wrist as he backed the car onto the street, making sure he had time. The road to the café was the same driving as walking, though it took a little longer from the stadium then it had from the hotel. It was running close to four in the afternoon when he pulled up, swinging the car into a spot in the front. He climbed out, making sure to bring his rucksack, and headed inside, fixing his snapback.

The cool air of the café hit him as he came in and he rolled his shoulders a little to keep from shivering, the damp sweat making him cold. He grinned when he saw Madeline behind the counter. She wasn’t looking. Alex took his sunglasses off, hanging them from the V-neck of his shirt.

“Hey doll,” Alex called, gaining her attention. The other one, Jade, looked over from where she was wiping down a table.

“Did you know there are three other coffee shops in town?” she asked, coming over to the counter.

“Aw, none of ‘em have such an…interesting view,” he grinned.

She frowned instantly, “What do you want?”

“Same as yesterday,” he answered, pulling his rucksack off one arm so he could get his money out. He grabbed his wallet, sliding out his card.

“I had a lot of customers yesterday. I don’t remember your specific order,” Madeline replied.

“Rasberry Chi Tea,” Jade called.

“Thanks, doll,” Alex winked at her before turning back to Madeline.

“4.25.”

Alex handed his card over to her the same as yesterday. He could tell she was annoyed. He fiddled with the CD’s and packaged snacks that sat on the counter as he waited for his drink. He would have gone to the end of the counter but there was no one else in line. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Jade move closer, wiping down the tables right by the counter even though they were perfectly clean. He grinned, turning toward her and leaning his back against the counter.

“Hey doll, good ta see ya,” he nodded to her.

“You too, no friends today?” Jade asked.

“Nah, got ta head out pretty fast today, wish I could hang around. Spending time with ye is much easier on the eyes,” he laughed.

Jade giggled and he smiled because she was playing right into it. So far his plan was working perfectly.

“Your tea,” Madeline stated behind him. Alex turned and took the cup from her wordlessly.

“Here, if yer not busy Sunday, I could only get three.” He laid three pieces of cardstock on the counter in front of Madeline then turned, tipping his snapback at Jade as he went out, “See you lovely ladies tomorrow.”

“Bye!” Jade called behind him.

Alex got back in the car, tossing his rucksack on the seat beside him. He docked his mobile before answering the call that was coming through.

“Where are you Alex?” Jacob’s annoyed voice filled the car as he swung out of the parking lot and sped down the road. He was a bit of a showy driver.

“Sorry, I needed some coffee, forgot to ask ye lot,” he answered.

“Just hurry up…interview is in thirty,” Jacob replied.

Alex clicked his mobile off, letting the radio fill up the noise in the car. He wished he could just head back to the hotel and sleep. He was really starting to miss being home. It wasn’t that he didn’t like where he was now, he was quite entertained by the place, but he missed being in his own bed and waking up to his family. Having different people around all the time was hard to get used to.

He got to the building where the interview was, parking the car and hurrying inside before he got in any more trouble. He’d originally planned to go get coffee this morning but he’d slept in and missed the opportunity. Alex wanted to give Madeline the tickets today though. He wasn’t sure if she would really go to the concert, Jade probably would. Alex knew she would be annoyed that he’d just given her something like that and she would probably refuse them at first. If he bugged her about not coming he knew he could get her to show up. She seemed determine to do the opposite of what he wanted her to. He was enjoying the challenge though.

“There you are!” Finley shouted, waving him down the hallway.

Alex ran to meet up with him, keeping his hand over the lid of the coffee so none would spill on him. Madeline was an unreasonably stubborn person but she made a damn good cup of coffee.

“Hey, sorry,” Alex shuffled in passed him, taking a seat at the table.

“You got coffee again? I thought you hated that place.” Finley commented, noting the cup of coffee in Alex’s hand.

“All part of the plan me friend,” he grinned before taking a sip of his coffee.

“What plan?” Adam looked over at his tattooed friend.

“I’m goin’ ta reel her in,” he answered simply.

Jacob raised an eyebrow but said nothing, choosing not to comment on his friend’s antics. He never did seem to approve of Alex’s humor. Alex laughed at him and went on to tell them all how he was going to get Madeline to go on a date with him. When Finley commented that she didn’t like him, Alex assured him that she was just putting up a front. He’d get her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments make my world go round<3