The Last Drop

Chapter Five

Madeline groaned at herself in the mirror. She didn’t know why but she was nervous for something. She couldn’t shake the prominent feeling that something would change tonight, and that’s what she hated most. Change.

Her eyes were rimmed with light eyeliner, her bright green eyes shining. She wore dark denim jeans, and black ankle boots. Her shirt was fitted with black script writing out her old dance studio name.

Her long hair sat in curls, just resting under her breasts. She huffed a small curl out of her face, crossing her arms. She didn’t feel right.

Sure, she looked like she did everyday, besides for the eyeliner and the perfume surrounding her. It was a sickly sweet scent, with a small bite. Just like her personality.

To be honest, she didn’t quite know where she got this. Oh, actually, she did. She could only blame one person for these feelings about the night, and that was Jade. She should have been sitting at home watching movies, but instead, the day took a turn for the worst.

Madeline stared at the tickets, stricken by this offer. Did he really think Madeline would be caught dead at a concert with him? Stepping closer, she glanced at the name.

“N.Y Lights.” Madeline breathed out, wondering whom the band was. She faintly remembered her older brother saying something about them, and the boys in it. It was apparently a band.

Did Alex really think she was that kind of girl?

Glancing up, Madeline realized Jade was already pounding away on the old, beaten computer behind the counter. Stepping forward, she realized she was researching something.

“What are you doing?” Madeline asked, squinting at the static-filled screen. Pop-ups came up in the corners, the virus protection long gone.

“Finding out about this band, duh.” Jade stated, as though this was obvious. Narrowing her eyebrows, Madeline glanced at Jade, her arms crossed.

“You can’t be serious. We,” She paused “You are not going to this band. Especially not with that witty, ass-hole, Irish dark haired, tattoed-“ Madeline began venting before Jade promptly cut her off with a large gasp.b

“No way…” Jade said under her breath, leaning closer to the screen. A picture was being pulled up, loading only the hair of this said band….

“What is it?” Madeline asked, her stomach dropping as she thought that she knew the answer. The hair looked a lot like those boys…

“Alex is in N.Y Lights ” Jade said, her voice dreamy and awestruck at this sudden discovered. Her eyes were glazed as a loving smile grew on her face.

“That’s it. We definitely aren’t going. Especially not now.” Madeline decided, walking away from the old and buzzing computer, finishing Jade’s job of cleaning the many tables left, and sweeping up the crumbs that were long ago disregarded from antsy business men.

“You may not be but I definitely am.” Jade stated, glancing slyly towards Madeline, who kept her head down. She wasn’t budging and Jade wasn’t going to change any of that. She disliked Alex, and that was that.

When Jade realized Madeline wasn’t going to respond, she let out a long exasperated sigh, turning towards her, her arms crossed.

“Oh come on, Madeline. Don’t be such a prick, it’s one night.” Jade explained, trying to sound stern and confident, but instead she sounded like a small child trying to beg her way through.

Madeline glanced up, mirroring Jade’s pose by crossing her arms and raising her eyebrows. “I’m not saying you can’t go. You can go without me for all I care, he did invite you for a reason.” Madeline stated, proving her point as Jade frowned. Ha, she got her.

“Mads, come on. Please? If I go alone, I’m going to get lost and raped somewhere. I’m small and not nearly as smart as you. Do you really want this to happen to your only coworker here? You’d have to take the lunch rushes all by yourself!” Jade tried, stomping her foot, her pixie-like hair shimmering.

Madeline groaned, rolling her eyes, busying her with the already perfectly waxed table, as she contemplated this. She knew that was Jade said could happen, but only with a very slim chance.

Though, she couldn’t shake the feeling that she should go. As though, she almost had too. She hated these. Call it intuition but Madeline just called it just a horrible, disturbed sort of guilt.

“Fine.” Madeline groaned, glancing up at Jade as she squealed, the several rings on her hand glistening. She ran into the back and grabbed her bohemian styled back, decorated with many pins.

“Let’s close up early, I have to go get ready!” With that, she flung out of the room, leaving Madeline to close up and finish the cleaning.

Typical.


It was that simple. Leave it to Jade to know just the right words to persuade the unmovable.

Her intercom shrilled loudly as she pressed the button, allowing them to send up her multi-colored friend.

Madeline had agreed to drive Jade, just in case she wanted to leave early. The knock on her doorbell finalized it. She was going to Alex’s concert, front row, and there was no turning back now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments!