‹ Prequel: Cracks in Reality
Status: Active

Painting Virgin Skin

Our Night Out

I am going to meet with Nick and his ‘friend’ Carol at the theater for the Broadway show. Its the one that I picked to see before I blurted that dumb confession out. I try not to think about the last time I saw Nick and how I blurted out that I have feelings for him but its all that's all my mind. Really there is no reason to embarrass myself further with this guy. So I am giving up on the whole feelings thing and I am just going to move past it so we can be friends. Of course I know this won’t be easy but I also know that it’s something that I have to do. I get off the A train and start walking toward times square where the three of us are meeting for dinner. I try not to think of it as me being the third wheel. Even if he and Carol are just friends, as he says, they still have a relationship that he and I have never had. A close knit friendship that with my feelings to the side maybe I can gain with him. I don’t know how I ever convinced myself into believing that I would actually win Nick over one day. He is clearly into nothing but his work right now and I really don’t want to wait anymore.

I walk aimlessly lost in my thoughts, with my heart heavy and eyes watering up. It was just a stupid school girl crush and its time that I grow out of it. I literally bump into Nick by the big Toys “R” Us store. I was watching the Ferris wheel while walking and I end up slamming my side into a boy, who has a very familiar scent. I look up to apologize and make some lame excuse when I see that it is Nick smiling at me.

“We have been looking for you everywhere. Why didn’t you answer your phone? I must have called you at least five times. I was starting to get worried, I thought maybe you got lost.” He looks so happy that he found me, but I can’t let that get to me.

I shrug at him, “ I must have not heard the phone ring. Sorry. Where is Carol?”

He gives me a funny look, “we split up to look for you. I will text her to meet us at the restaurant. Are you okay? You seem, I don’t know, off.”

I look into his midnight blue eyes and I feel like I could lose myself in them. I shake my head and laugh before looking away.

“I am fine, just a bit cranky because I didn’t sleep to well last night. I miss my bed at home, I guess that I am just homesick.” I shrug and look at the time on my phone; we have to leave now if we want to eat. “We should get going so that we have enough time before the show to eat our food at a relaxed pace. I hate feeling rushed while I am eating.”

“Uh right.” I see him send the text to Carol and we head over to olive garden.

That’s when I see Carol and I know it’s her right away. Ruby wasn’t kidding when she said these two were eerily familiar in appearance. I mean seriously they could be twins. Carol has long black hair that flowed so freely and effortlessly down her back. That was the only real major difference between her and Nick. The eyes, gosh they were the exact same. Her midnight eyes just as smoky and filled the same scheming look that Nick can get at times. Her lips curled into a similar easy smile that he has too. I can tell that she sees the surprise on my face and she finds it amusing. I am sure Nick has a mirror expression on his face at this very moment too.

“I told you she would react the same way everyone else does when they see us.” She sticks her tongue out at Nick. “So my dinner is on you, boss.”

She laughs and walks into the building. Laughing to herself as she is getting on the escalator leaving Nick and I behind.

“How could you think that she is my girlfriend?” He laughs and holds the door open for me.

“I never said that.” I blush furiously.

I wonder if Ruby told him that I said that.

“I knew that you were thinking it though.” He lets me get on the narrow escalator first.

“No you didn’t and maybe I did, so what? You were a bit flirty with her over the phone.” I huff at him.

Ugh, I sound like a jealous girlfriend and a stalker. I could kick myself.

“Everyone thinks she is my girlfriend until they meet her. Dating her would be like dating me if I was a girl. It’s too weird. So she is my honorary sister.” He says to the back of my head, ignoring the fact that I eavesdropped on his private phone conversation.

“That makes sense but why are you telling me all this?” I asked as we got off the escalator.

He shrugs, “just thought that you would like to know. I mean seeing that you like me and all.”

He sticks his tongue out at me walks over to the hostess to get us a table. I groan, so he wasn't getting to let that go huh? Well then, it is going to be a very long night.