Status: Completed.

Far from Home.

Don't Like My Situation; You Don't Either.

The next day, Brian was up bright and early. Given, he hadn't had much sleep, either. Emily leaving him was a giant slap in the face and he was up, alternating between staring at the contents of the box, and crying over the loss of the one woman who was able to change his life.

But he knew he had to do something with the box. He had to find things out. As he stared at the box last night, he remembered what Milton had said: I'm good friends with her dad; He's bought her over here with him a few times.

He knew, for a damn fact, that he'd never seen Milton Harvey a day before in his life until yesterday. And he never took Lucy with him to see his friends. That was more of Emily's things - And she only took Lucy to a house that had other children, Lucy's friends.

As he got up, it was only then that he noticed Emily's engagement ring laid on his bedside table. That bought on a new set of tears, but he pushed them back. He'd cry later. Right now, he needed to get himself up and over to Milton's.

Brian took a shower, quickly dressing himself, and grabbed the box, loading it into the back of his truck. Two options weighed heavily in his head: He could, one, deliver the box to the police station and tell their lazy asses that he'd done their work and found the killer on his own. Or, two, he could go over to Milton's house, confront him, probably kick his ass, and then bring him in to the cops.

Before he could make up his mind, his phone rang. Thinking it was Emily, Brian quickly answered his phone. "Em?"

"It's Officer Harper. We need you to come down to the-"

"Perfect timing," Brian interrupted,"I think I've caught the suspect, officer."

There was silence on the line. "And what makes you think that, Mr. Haner?"

"I've got your suspect list, seeing as though I didn't think you and your fellow officers would do a damn thing unless you were pushed by the media - Which is a smart idea on your behalf, because the media don't give a damn about Polson. I took the matter into my own hands; I'm beyond positive I've found the guy, or at least the guy who can lead us to him."

"Come down to the station - You aren't in any kind of trouble, Mr. Haner, I just want to talk to you about this suspect in person, rather than over the phone."

"I'm on my way."

Brian hung up and sighed, running a hand through his damp hair. He got into his SUV, staring at the empty spot beside him where Emily's car should be. "I miss you so much." He whispered, as he backed out and drove down the road.

Image

Officer Harper taped the wire under Brian's shirt as he held it up; Brian didn't meet the officers eyes. For him, this was a little awkward, but he didn't say anything. This was going to give Lucy some peace - This was going to capture her killer's confession on tape.

Brian was going to prove himself to his daughter.

The officer pulled his shirt down, observing his work. The semi tightness of Brian's shirt was a bad thing - The officer dug through the lost and found box, grabbing a large button up. He tossed it to Brian. "Put that on, and then you're free to go. It's recording, so the second you get into his house, you need to be productive. Get a confession, or something that equals it."

With a nod, Brian quickly buttoned up the shirt, fixing the collar. "I'll call you if I get anything - Just run the tests on the box, and call me if you find his DNA or something. I've seen my fair share of crime shows with my wife." The two men shook hands and Brian quickly got back into his SUV, driving to Milton's house.

Brian was sure to keep his radio off as he pushed past the speed limit to Milton's. He was there in record time, knocking on his door within the blink of an eye.

Milton answered, the same expression on his face from yesterday,"Brian Elwin, how do you do? Didn't think you'd be back this early. Come in." Brian gave a false smile and walked in, taking a sit in the same spot that he had yesterday.

"Well, Mr. Harv-"

"Milton."

"Milton, I have just a few more questions to ask you, and only a set amount of time before I have to leave to my next h-Are you drunk, Mr. Harvey?"

Milton laughed. "Buzzed, is the term I'd use. Only on my second beer. Continue your questions, though, before I do get drunk."

Brian shifted in his seat. "Are you aware that Lucy Haner was murdered?"

"N-No," Milton stammered,"I had no idea."

"Hm. And did you know she was found raped, battered, and suffocated in some woods?"

"That's... Terrible."

It was a stab in the chest that Milton wasn't feeling any sympathy. His words sounded forced and careless. Brian had been shit faced drunk before and, if anything, it made him a lot more emotional. It made every person a lot more emotional. Buzzed should sort of do the same thing - From Brian's experience, at least.

"I agree," Brian cleared his throat,"Mr. Harvey-"

"Milton."

"Milton, you told me yesterday that you knew Lucy because her dad took her here quite often. Can you tell me the first time he took her here, and the last?"

That's when it all fit together. Milton was quiet, obviously contemplating his words. His hands shook and his beer fell to the floor, glass everywhere's. Brian kept his gaze locked on Milton's eyes and that's when he saw it - That twitch. That pang of guiltiness.

"Care to explain why I found a box of Lucy's bloodied belongings in your home, Milton?"

"I killed her..." He abruptly admitted, darting for the front door - Keys in hand.

Brian stood up, the papers dropping onto the floor, and ran after him. For a mild alcoholic, Milton was exceptionally fast. Brian was almost out of breathe when Milton faltered in his stepping and slowed down. He tackled the dirty suspect to the ground, wrestling to keep him locked under his weight. Brian grabbed his phone and called Officer Harper, who said he was on his way immediately, and hung up.

"You killed my daughter, you sick piece of fucking shit!" Brian yelled, slamming Milton's into the ground. Milton, who didn't reply, flailed underneath him. "Yeah, how does it fucking feel to be manhandled by someone bigger than you?! I bet my fucking daughter felt this way, you fuck! I should fucking put you out of your fucking miserable life, you know that?! I should fucking bury you six feet under, but you know why I won't do it?! Answer me!"

"W-Why?!" Milton spat.

"Because I love my daughter, and I don't want to fuck my life up like you did yours. My daughter's in Heaven, and when I die, I'm going to meet her there. I refuse to let some twisted piece of shit like you fuck up my path into my afterlife. Killing you might make me feel a little better, but knowing that you're rotting away in jail for defiling, beating, and killing my innocent daughter will make not only myself and my wife, but my daughter feel a whole lot better. You're getting exactly what you fucking deserve, and I pray to God you get fucking life in jail or better fucking yet, the death sentence, you vile fuck."

Milton resorted back to silence as he tried to sputter out the dirt he'd practically swallowed from Brian forcing him to the ground.

Much to Brian's relief, the officer's arrived quicker than he had expected and took Milton away. Officer Harper took the wire out from Brian's chest. "I got him to admit he killed her. He tried to run, and-"

"Don't need to explain yourself. If it was my daughter, I would've done the same thing. The tests were ran, and the results should be back within a few days - Before the end of the week. But I'm beyond positive that this confession will put him away for a hell of a long time. I'll keep you updated, Mr. Haner."

"Thank you."

The officer laughed. "No, thank you."

Without another word, Officer Harper and the other officer got into the car, and left. Brian stared after them for the longest time, even when he could no longer see the patrol car, before he walked to his SUV.

Before he opened the driver's door, Brian grabbed his phone, scrolled through his contacts, and hit the call button.

Much to his surprise, she answered. "Hello?"

"Emily..." Brian resorted to using her full name, before clearing his throat,"I have to tell you something important - Please... Don't hang up."

"What is it, Brian?" She sighed.

"Well, you obviously know I haven't been with Ron this past week-"

"Mhm."

"-But I can finally tell you, because I did it. I've been successful."

"...Brian, what are you talking about?"

Brian paid no mind to her question, still high on the pride that he'd found the killer. "The night I was called to the police station, they questioned me on what I was doing when Lucy went missing. The officer cleared me, but I saw the files in his hands. I asked him to get me a coffee and while he was gone, I got my hands on their list of suspects. Emily, these past few nights that I haven't been at home, I've been out looking for our daughter's killer-"

"You couldn't have just told me that?" Emily quietly asked him, her voice on the verge of tears.

"I know you, ba-Emily, I know you. Every night I didn't come back successful, I know you would've cried yourself to sleep. I can't stand to see you in pain, I didn't want to disappoint you. So I lied. It might've hurt you, but I know for a fact that it wasn't as painful as hearing your fiance come home empty handed each night while the killer ran free."

Emily stayed quiet. "O-Oh."

"But Em... I caught him. I fucking caught him, Em! I got the evidence from his house, it's at the police station! I-I was able to get him to confess while I wore a wire! He's in the hands of the police, now, Emily!"

The line wasn't quiet like it had been. Emily had erupted into tears, blubbering things that didn't make sense. "Y-You got ... Him?"

Brian nodded before, slapping his forehead at his stupidity,"Yes, Emily, I got him. I promise I did. He's on his way to the police station right now. The officer said he would keep me updated - He has my cell number - so anything I hear from him, I'll be sure to pass it on to you."

"Th-Thank you, Brian," She sniffled,"I... I have to go. But thank you."

Emily quickly hung up, crumbling to pieces on the motel bed. She held her phone close to her chest as she cried quietly to herself.

"Your daddy found the bad man, baby," Emily looked at the lockscreen of Lucy on her phone,"He's going to be put away forever, and ever. I'm so happy - But I know I could never be as happy as you are. I hope you're smiling and dancing where ever you are. Your daddy and I love you very, very much." She kissed her screen once, twice, three-four times, before burying her face in her knees.

The crying grew increasingly worse - Her thoughts swirling around Lucy, the killer being caught, and her recent leaving of Brian. He'd slipped up, nearly, and almost called her baby... She couldn't deal with hearing his voice. By his tone, she knew he'd seen her engagement ring on his nightstand.

And the fact that he had a decent excuse for not being at home for the whole week, almost... It made Emily feel bad. But she wasn't sure if she wanted him back. A constant reminder of Lucy was almost... Agonizing. She loved Brian dearly, she really did. But she wouldn't be able to live with herself if she had to wake up and be reminded that Lucy was gone every single day.

"God, I'm so sorry!" Emily cried out, smothering her face in her hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, the end is fairly near.
Chapter Fifteen will be the last.
I have everything planned out, so I'm hoping to update again later on today.
Just to be clear:
-Lucy's killer was found and detained.
-Brian lied to Emily about where he's been.
-Emily left him and is staying in a motel.
-Emily also left her wedding ring, symbolizing the wedding was off and that they are broken up.
And I believe that's it.
I'm hoping that you are all still sticking along, and that this chapter is up to your expectations.
Comments are ALWAYS welcome! xx