‹ Prequel: Lost, Then Found

My Forever Girl

Ch. Ten

Naira’s P.O.V.

It was obvious Leah didn’t like me, but then again Leah wasn’t too friendly with anyone other than Seth and Mika. I didn’t blame her for the way she acted towards me; if anything I admired the way she stuck up for Embry. As intimidating as she may have been, she wasn’t going to keep me from seeing him; no one was.

I ignored Leah’s comment about Embry not coming because no one would dare skip out on Emily’s famous Christmas party, but as time passed and there was still no sign of him I began losing any hope of him showing up. If he didn’t come here I would just have to go to him, I thought to myself.
“You’ve been sitting here by yourself all night”, Seth said, as he took a seat across the table from me, “I hope you haven’t let my sister get to you; you know how Leah can be”.

I couldn’t help the small smile that pulled at the corner of my lips. Seth had a way of making anyone smile, even when they weren’t in the best of moods; it’s what I love most about him. “I just feel a little awkward being here”, I admitted.

He raised his brow, “So let me get this straight; you feel awkward being with your family on Christmas”?

“No, it’s not that”, I explained, “I’ve said and done some horrible things and because of that I know how the family must feel about me. I’m just trying my best not to give them any more fuel to add to that fire”.

“Don’t let them make you feel that way; we’ve all made our fair share of mistakes.”

“Yeah, but..”

“No buts’ now stop acting like the Grinch and come join the rest of the family; we’re about to open presents”, Seth added, as he dragged me into the living room.
Seth pulled me down on the couch along with him as Uncle Jacob played Santa Clause by passing out the presents. I watched happily as my family each opened their presents. The best present received that night was from Aunt Shianne to Uncle Jacob. His face lit up as he pulled out a shirt that said “World’s Best Dad” on it. I was genuinely happy for them, I knew how much they wanted to be parents, and I also know they will be great at it. I hope when their baby is born he or she grows up knowing how lucky they are to be a part of such an amazing family; something I wish I would have realized way sooner.

As everyone began making their way to the kitchen for dinner I remained planted on the couch. I could only focus on the unopened presents that still lay underneath the Christmas tree. One of those presents was the one I had brought for Embry; it wasn’t much, but I hoped it would remind him of the good times. It was a picture that I had drawn of him and me when I was little; I still remember asking him to help me write “Best Friends Forever” on it. I found it in the drawer of the nightstand beside my bed the other day; he must have forgotten it when I rudely kicked him out of my room when I returned home. I placed it in a frame and wrapped it up; it would have to do for now.

“Here”, Quil said, as he handed me a small box wrapped in sparkly gold wrapping paper. “Embry asked me to give it to you”, he added.

I stared at the box in somewhat of a shock that Embry had even got me something. I twirled it around in my hands debating whether or not to open it, “It’s my fault he didn’t come, isn’t it”, I asked.

Quil opened his mouth to say something, but then abandoned the thought altogether. Instead, he continued to eat, simply ignoring the question.

I removed the paper from the box, finally deciding just to open the gift. Inside was a gold bracelet, it was so beautiful. As much as I loved it, it only made me feel even worse for how I treated him. I began to unclasp it so I could put it on right away and that’s when I noticed there was something engraved on the inside of it; “My Forever Girl”.

Without another word to Quil, I got up and entered the kitchen relieved to see that there was still some food. I was hoping to enter unnoticed, but Claire made sure that didn’t happen, “Naira I fought off the guys and saved you some food, come sit by me girl”.

“Actually”, I began, as I glanced at Aunt Emily, “I was hoping I could just take some home, if it’s not too much trouble”.

“No trouble at all”, Emily replied, as she got up and began fixing up a few plates for me to take with me.

“Leaving already”, Jacob asked, staring at me almost as if he knew what I was up to.

“Uh”, I paused, trying to think of a good excuse, “I’m starting to get a migraine”, I lied.

“Oh, I got some Tylenol in my purse if you want some”, Shainne replied.

“No thank you, I think I’ll just go home and lay down with a bag of ice on my head”.

“I can take you home”, mom jumped up and started heading for her purse.

I wasn’t planning on going home; quick, think of an excuse, “No”; I blurted out a little too dramatically; this only made Jacob look at me with even more suspicion in his eyes. “I was just going to walk”, I paused, “I was hoping the fresh air might help the migraine”, I replied with a smile, hoping at least my mother would buy it.

Emily handed me the brown paper bag filled with plates of food, “I hope you feel better sweetie”, she replied giving me a kiss on the cheek.

“Thank you”, I replied, giving her a hug.
I grabbed the present I brought for Embry and placed in in my bag and headed out the door. I wasn’t even half way to the driveway before I felt a hot hand tugging at my arm, “The last thing Embry needs is you going over there and starting some more crap, he’s got enough going on as it is”, Jacob growled.

“I wasn’t going”, I began to lie, but Jacob saw right through it.

“You suck at lying, so cut the bull”.

I sighed, looking down at the ground I replied, “I just wanted to try to apologize to him again, and drop off this food and the Christmas present I had for him”, I paused, letting a few moments of silence pass between us before looking up to stare Jacob in the eyes this time as I said, “I know how much I’ve hurt Embry and disappointed all of you, and the last thing you want to hear come out of my mouth is “I’m sorry”, but I truly am. All I ask of you is to try to let me fix this”, I pleaded, hoping he would be able to see the sincerity in my eyes.

He looked torn as he quietly mulled over the scenarios that may play out if he decided to let me go. I think what ultimately made him cave was the fact that he knows how stubborn I can be; it’s in the Black blood. I was determined to make things right with Embry, and no one was going to stop me; NO ONE! He rubbed his rough hand over his face and with a stern glare and a harsh tone replied, “Don’t make me regret this”.

“Thank you”, I whispered. “Uncle Jake”, I called, right before he turned around to head back into the house. He glanced at me questioningly, “I just wanted to congratulate you and Aunt Shianne again; you guys will make great parents”.

The excitement and love that already shown through his eyes just at the mention of being a parent confirmed my previous statement, “Thank you Naira”.

I couldn’t get to his house quick enough. If it wasn’t for the brown paper bag in my arms filled with food I think I would have run all the way there; but as the little green cottage came into view I suddenly wished I’d dragged out the journey. I stopped right in front of the door, allowing myself to catch my breath. If Embry was inside there was no doubt he’d already be aware of my presence. I raised my shaking hand and knocked lightly on the door, and waited.

I was both disappointed and relieved when an older woman with pepper colored hair answered the door, “Merry Christmas Ms. Call”.

“Merry Christmas”, she replied, with a smile. I couldn’t believe how long it’s been since I’d seen her last. I used to love coming here as a child, we’d always do some sort of arts and crafts. She was always so fun and full of life. Now, it seemed like it’s faded; she looked tired. I guess that should be expected with old age, but something just felt off, like old age wasn’t the only thing taking away her spark.

“Can I help you”, she asked, breaking the silence.

“I was hoping to find Embry here”.

Her brows creased, “He should be back shortly. Would you like to come in and wait”, she asked, stepping aside allowing space for me to slip through.

“That’d be great”, I replied, following her into the kitchen.

“I brought some food from the Christmas party”, I said.

She stared strangely at me for what felt like forever, “That was very sweet of you”.

I placed the bag of food in the fridge and took a seat across from her at the kitchen table. The way she just stared at me made me feel uncomfortable, like she was trying to figure out a jigsaw puzzle. I was beginning to wonder if I should just leave and come back later.

Just as I was about to do just that she caught me off guard, “Are you a friend of Embry’s”?
She had no idea who I was. The woman invited me into her home and didn’t even recognize me. I knew people back home were trusting, but this? I guess I had been away far too long; I was starting to get used to L.A. life. If I didn’t know you there was no way you’d be stepping foot in my door.

“Don’t you remember me”, I asked, focusing my attention back on Ms. Call. “I’m Naira; Embry used to bring me here all the time when I was little”, I explained.

“Naira”, she shouted, “You’ve grown up beautifully; I didn’t even recognize you”!

“Thank you”, I smiled at her compliment.

“I haven’t seen you since you were, what, 16”?

I nodded guiltily, “Sorry for that”. I prayed she wouldn’t ask why; what was I supposed to tell her, “your son imprinted on me and it freaked me out”?

Thankfully she waved it off, “Don’t worry about it, you were probably too busy with friends to come hang out with an old lady like me”, she said jokingly. Suddenly her smile began to fade, “Heck, these past few days is the most I’ve seen Embry in a long time”.

I felt bad for her; the whole situation was fucked up. Her son phased into a giant wolf to protect these people, and she didn’t have the right to know about it because she wasn’t Quiluete? To be honest it’s one of the reasons I resented the council, I remember seeing how much it hurt Embry to lie to her. I wonder how he’s kept up with it; she’s had to have noticed the fact that her son hasn’t aged since the day he phased all those years ago.

“Anyways”, she replaced her frown for that warm motherly smile I was so used to seeing every time I came over as a child, “Embry tells me you’re a college girl now. How is that going”?

I frowned, remembering that I was failing most of my classes. I guess it didn’t matter now, seeing as I wasn’t returning, “I could be doing better”, was my answer.

“Ah, distracted by all the parties and hot college guys huh”, she asked, laughing.
I joined in on the laughter, “yeah something like that”.

“Embry also tells me you’re in the Criminal Justice program; what were you going for”?

“I wanted to be a Police Officer” I answered.

She gasped, “A pretty thing like you, aren’t you afraid of the criminals you’ll be dealing with”? If only she knew about the things her son has had to deal with, those “criminals” wouldn’t seem like much of a threat at all. I just shrugged my shoulders in response.

“Well, just be careful Claire”.

“It’s Naira”, I corrected her, politely.

“I know”, she said, giving me a confused look.

“You called me”, I began to explain, but just decided to brush it off, “Never mind”.

“Oh would you do me a favor and heat up some of that food you brought, Embry should be home any minute and I’m sure he’ll be hungry”.

I nodded and began pulling out the bag I had placed in the fridge earlier. I placed the food on a dinner plate and went over to heat it up, but when I opened the microwave I found a pair of reading glasses inside.

“Um, are these yours”, I asked, placing the glasses down on the table.

“Where did you find them, I’ve been looking everywhere”.

“They were in the microwave”.

She laughed, “Silly me”.

I waited for the food to heat, counting down with the microwave when there was only a few more seconds left. At the same time the timer went off my heart hitched. Embry was standing in the doorway. I was fighting the urge to run to him, and to wrap my arms around his neck until he knew just how sorry I was.

Ms. Call smiled at the sight of her son, “Oh Embry, you’re just in time. Claire brought over some food for you”.

His face drooped as he looked at his mother, “that’s Naira”, he corrected her.

“That’s what I said”, she snapped back.

He sighed and then looked back at me, “Naira can I speak with you outside”, he asked impatiently.
I nodded my head and placed the heated plate of food on the kitchen table. I gave Ms. Call a quick hug, “it was nice seeing you again Ms. Call”.

“Please visit again soon”, she waved as I stepped out onto the porch with Embry.

He wasted no time getting straight to the point, “why are you here”?

“Well Merry Christmas to you too Scrooge”, I joked, trying to lighten the mood; it didn’t work.

“Do you need a ride home”, he asked, as he began walking to his truck.

“Wait”, I called, still remaining on the porch. I wasn’t ready to go, “Can we talk”?

“I said all I needed to say to you that night at Quil’s house”, he replied.

“Yeah, well now you’re going to listen to me”. It was silent, I was hoping I had his attention; it was a little hard to tell with his back still turned towards me. “Embry, I was out of line. You didn’t deserve to be treated like that. I’m not going to say “I’m sorry” because those are just words; I’d rather show you. I realize you won’t forgive me overnight and that’s fine,” I placed his present that I brought for him on the porch and began walking towards him, “I just want to let you know I won’t give up because I’m your forever girl”, I placed a kiss on his cheek and began the walk home.