Status: Complete

When Worlds Collide: Book Three, Fire

Fifteen

The pub was worn down, and men stumbled around outside. Inside, I could hear a fight starting, the clanking of glasses, and raised voices. Zuko opened the door wide, and we cautiously stepped inside.
"And the reason you've brought us into a seedy Earth Kingdom tavern is what, now?" Katara asked, staring around in distaste.
"June." Zuko pointed, and I finally spotted the shady woman. She sat in a simple chair, looking around the place as if she owned it. I watched as a man charged towards her, and with one simple swinging motion, June had him in a head lock, pinning him with her leg.
"Oh, yeah, that weird bounty hunter with the giant mole," Sokka remembered.
"Mole?" Sukki asked. "Her skin is flawless."
In front of us, June stood to fight off a few other guys who had tried to attack. She sidestepped their attacks, all without spilling her drink.
"No, she has this giant mole creature she rides around on." Sokka winced as another man hit the ground.
"A Shirshu," Zuko explained. "It's the only animal that can track any scent anywhere in the world. It's the one shot we have at finding him."
As a man kept swinging punches, the bounty hunter threw her drink in the air, and used the mans momentum to throw him into a nearby table. Without glancing up, she reached out and grabbed the cup as gravity took hold.
"I don't know who this June lady is," Toph grinned, "but I like her."
"Hey, I remember her." Sokka stopped, and glared accusingly at Zuko and me. "She helped you attack us."
"Yup," Zuko shrugged. "Back in the good 'ole days."
I laughed, and walked forward, taking a seat across from June.
She raised an eyebrow but smirked. "Well, if it isn't Princess." She glanced up at Zuko and scowled. "And you brought Prince Pout-y along with you. Great. Where's your creepy grandpa?"
Zuko glared. "He's my uncle... and he's not here."
June nodded. "I see you worked things out with your girlfriend."
Zuko and Katara bristled.
"She's not my girlfriend!"
"I'm not his girlfriend!"
"Oh, no?" June asked. "So you finally made a move on Princess here?"
I blushed, and stared at the table.
"Mm-hmm. Thought so." June took a drink before continuing. "So, what do you want?"
Zuko was fuming, but continued. "I need your help finding the Avatar."
"Doesn't sound too fun," the bounty hunter shrugged.
Zuko snapped. "Does the end of the world sound like more fun?"
That caught her attention, I began to explain the situation.
"June, if we don't find Aang, there will be no one to stop the Fire Nation from attacking. They're coming here. That means, the day of the comet, the Earth Kingdom will be burned to the ground. This is your home, June. Please, help us."
The dark haired woman studied me for a moment. Finally, "When did you get so serious? You didn't have to get all sappy." She stood up, and kicked a guy in the back before starting towards the door, only stopping once at the bar to pick up a giant, dripping steak.
Outside, Appa and Nyla, the mole, were sniffing each other. At first, I thought one would attack the other, but Appa just licked Nyla and the mole almost seemed to smile.
"Nyla," June called, waving the massive steak through the air. She tossed it, and the shirshu caught it in its teeth. June cooed, and pet the creatures head.
Nyla suddenly lashed her tongue out, June had to duck. "Whoa!" she exclaimed, and held the creatures mouth shut. "Careful there. Okay; who's got something with the Avatar's scent on it?"
"I have Aang's staff," Katara said, holding said item in her hand.
June nodded and took the glider, holding it under Nyla's nose. She sniffed the air, pacing in a circle, only to come to stop in front of June again. Defeated, the shirshu buried her muzzle in her paws.
"Well, what does that mean?" Zuko asked, crossing his arms.
"It means your friend is gone."
"We know he's gone, that's why we're trying to find him," Toph scoffed.
"No, I mean he's gone, gone," June clarified. "I mean he doesn't exist."
I gasped. "You-you don't mean he's-"
"No," June interrupted. "We could find him if he were dead. Well... it's a real head scratcher. See ya'."
"Helpful," Toph griped. "Real helpful."
"Wait," Zuko stepped up. "I have another idea. There's only one other person in this world who can help us face the Fire Lord." He turned to June. "I'll be right back with a smell sample."
"Wait a minute," I called, following after him. "You don't really mean... I mean you don't really have a smell sample of Iroh, do you?"
Wordlessly, Zuko pulled out an old sandal.
"Yep," I huffed, plugging my nose. "You do."
Climbing back down from Appa, Zuko held it out, causing the others to cover their noses as well.
"You seriously saved your uncles sweaty sandal?" Sokka asked.
"I think it's kind of sweet," Toph smiled, the only one of us not gasping for breath.
Nyla lunged forward, sniffing at the sandal.
June nodded, already on the creatures back. "Let's do this. Princess, you comin' or not?"
"What, did you think I was gonna hang out at the pub and wait for you to return?" I asked, turning to Appa.
Something grabbed me by the scruff of the neck, and I was yanked upwards. I landed with a soft thud behind June, who was smirking at Zuko. "Let's hope you can keep up. I'd hate to see your girlfriend fall off with no one there to catch her."
We took off like a rocket, and I shrieked as I latched onto the back of Junes clothes.
"What the heck was that for?" I demanded, hearing Zuko's startled cries behind us.
She laughed. "You hear that?" she asked, nodding back towards my friends. "That's music to my ears."
Sokka was right. I really can't turn around without being kidnapped.
////\\\\\
Some time during the trip, I finally convinced June to stop long enough so I could join my friends. She had smirked at Zuko the whole time, and in return, he glared.
It was late in the evening when we finally touched down outside of massive, crumbling walls.
"We're going to Be Sing Se?" Zuko asked, looking up.
Nyla scratched at the crumbling stone, and began to pace in circles again.
"Your uncle is somewhere beyond the wall," June announced. "Nyla is getting twitchy, so he can't be too far. Good luck."
"June," I called, stepping forwards before she could take off. "Thank you, for everything."
She raised an eyebrow as she stared at me. Finally, she gave a soft snort. "See ya' around, Princess." She dashed back the way we'd come, and we watched her go.
After a while, Zuko broke the silence. "It's been a long day. Let's set up camp, and start our search again at dawn."
A bit hesitantly, we agreed. Instead of getting out the sleeping bags, we curled up against Appa. I fell asleep instantly, though it didn't feel like I was unconscious for too long.
It seems like right as I was starting to dream, I was startled awake by Toph - or, more accurately, by fire.
We were surrounded by flames, and I jumped to my feet, staring around with bleary eyes, trying to find our attacker.
It turns out, there were four of them, all standing above us on a piece of broken wall. I recognized two of them: King Bumi and the waterbending master, Pakku.
"Well," one of cackled. "Look who's here." He had a crazy look in his eyes, and his hair stuck out in tufts.
Sokka and Katara grinned, while the rest of us looked around in confusion.
"What's going on?" Toph asked. "We're surrounded by old people."
"Not just any old people," Katara smiled. "These are great masters and friends of ours." She bowed in front of Pakku as she greeted him.
"It is respectful to bow to an old master," he agreed, "but how about a hug, for your new grandfather?"
The Water Tribe siblings stared at him blankly for a moment, before Katara nearly jumped up and down. She settled for giving Pakku a hug. "That's so exciting!" she exclaimed. "Gran Gran must be so excited you found each other again.
Sokka shrieked and tugged at his hair.
"I made her a new betrothal necklace and everything," Pakku gloated.
Sokka raced forward and hugged the master as well. "Welcome to the family, Gramp Gramp!"
Pakku reeled back slightly. "You can still just call me Pakku."
"How about GramPakku?" Sokka compromised.
"No."
Katara shifted the conversation to introduce the next man. "And this was Aang's first firebending teacher."
"Jeong Jeong," the man introduced, bowing his head. His hair reminded me of Ron Jons, except white, and missing the bun at the top.
Sokka went to greet the youngest of the group, and bowed deeply. "Master Piandau."
"Sokka," Piandau smiled.
"So, wait," Sukki interrupted, how do you all know each other?"
"All old people know each other, don't you know that?" Bumi chuckled.
"We're all part of the same ancient secret society," Piandau clarified. "A group that transcends the divisions of the four nations."
"The Order of the White Lotus." Zuko smiled, and I blinked.
"Wait a minute," I said, turning to Zuko. "You mean that game that Iroh played all the time was all because he was part of a secret society?"
"That's the one!" Bumi grinned.
"The White Lotus has always been about philosophy, beauty, and truth," Jeong Jeong stated. "But about a month ago, a call went out that we were needed for something important."
"It came from a Grand Lotus; your uncle," Pakku continued, looking at Zuko. "Iroh, of the Fire Nation."
"That's who we're looking for," Toph spoke up.
"Then we'll take you to him," Piandau told us.
"Wait a minute!" Bumi exclaimed, pushing the other men out of his way. "Someone's missing from your group. Someone very important." He looked around suspiciously, and I winced. "Where's Momo?" He pressed his face against Sokka's, who in turn, leaned back in hopes to put some distance between them.
It didn't work.
"He's gone," Sokka explained. "And so is Aang."
After a second, Bumi leaned back. "Oh, well," he shrugged. "So long as they're together, I'm sure we have nothing to worry about. Let's go."
With a stomp of his foot, the former King of Omashu flew into the sky as the earth below him rose. He laughed the whole way.
"That crazy old coot," Piandau muttered, and he and the others led us the way.
In no time, we caught up with Bumi, and Sokka and Katara began to ask him about his imprisonment. By the time he finished telling the story of his escape, our destination was still a while away.
"So what about you guys?" Bumi asked. "Did you do anything interesting on the day of the Eclipse?"
The boys shared a look, and shrugged.
"Nah," Zuko shrugged. Oh yeah, I thought. Just turned your back on the Fire Nation and joined your former enemy.
"Not really," Sokka chimed. Yup. Just tried to take over the Fire Nation by trying to attack the Fire Lord himself.
We were silent the rest of the walk.
When we arrived at the camp, Zuko was immediately pointed towards his uncles tent, and he eagerly marched forward... until he reached the door. Then he sat down on the ground, and sadly stared ahead.
I motioned for the others to continue their tour, and I went over to join him.
"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked.
For a moment, Zuko was silent. "He hates me," he stated. "He loved me and supported me in every way he could, and I still turned against him." Zuko reached out and took my hand, and sighed. "How can I even face him?"
"Zuko," I started, "I've never seen a more wonderful, loving relationship than what you two have. Sure, you didn't like to show it, but it was in your eyes. You're sorry, aren't you?"
"More sorry than I've ever been for anything in my entire life," he nodded.
"Then there you go. I know he'll forgive you."
His golden eyes searched mine, and I smiled. Finally, he hung his head before slowly standing. He took a deep breath, and stepped through the doors.
He didn't come out until morning.
/////\\\\\
The next morning, Zuko and Iroh left the tent with giant smiles on their faces.
"Iroh!" I called, jumping up from my place on the ground, and racing forward to hug the pudgy man.
"Sam," he greeted. "I see my nephew has not chased you away, yet."
I laughed as I pulled away. "Unfortunately for him, I keep coming back."
We settled down for breakfast, and Zuko began to question his uncle.
"Uncle," he started, "you're the only person, other than the Avatar, who can possibly defeat the Father Lord."
"You mean the Fire Lord," Toph corrected.
"That's what I just said," he snapped.
Iroh hummed.
"We need you to come with us," Zuko pressed.
"No, Zuko." Iroh shook his head as he took another bite of his food. "It won't turn out well."
"But you could beat him," the prince insisted. "And we could be there to help."
"Even if I did defeat Ozai - I don't know that I could - , it would be the wrong way to end the war. History would see it as more, senseless violence. A brother killing a brother to grand power. The only way for this war to end peacefully is for the Avatar to defeat the Fire Lord."
Zuko glanced up nervously. "And then... then would you come take your rightful place on the throne?"
"No," Iroh decided, "someone new must take the throne; an idealist with a pure heart, and an unquestionable honor. It has to be you, Prince Zuko."
Zuko blinked. "Unquestionable honor? But I've made so many mistakes."
"Yes, you have," Iroh agreed. "You struggled, you suffered. But you have always followed your own path. You restored your own honor. And only you can restore the honor of the Fire Nation."
"I'll try, Uncle," Zuko promised. He looked at me, unsure, and I smiled, nodding.
You can do this, I tried to tell him. I believe in you.
"Well, what if Aang doesn't come back?" Toph asked, and like that, all my previous fears were back.
If Aang didn't return, there would be no one there to defeat the Fire Lord. If we didn't defeat the Fire Lord, we lost. Not just the war, but... the world.
"Sozin's Comet is arriving, and our destinies are upon us," Iroh said. "Aang will face the Fire Lord. When I was a boy, I had a vision that I would one day take Be Sing Se. Only now do I see that my destiny is to take it back from the Fire Nation, so the Earth Kingdom can be free again."
"That's why you gathered the members of the White Lotus," Sukki realized.
"Yes," Iroh nodded, then turned back to his nephew. "Zuko, you must return to the Fire Nation so that when the Fire Lord falls, you can assume the throne and restore peace and order. But, Azula will be there, waiting for you."
Zuko's stare hardened. "I can handle Azula."
"Not alone," Iroh declared. "You'll need help."
"You're right," Zuko nodded, and turned to me and Katara. "How would you two like to help me put Azula in her place?"
"It would be my pleasure," Katara smirked.
"Sam has her own duty, as the deciding factor," Iroh stated, interrupting me from talking. "The people of the Fire Nation are skeptical of this war. Many have doubt in their mind. The people will follow the ideals of the lost legend. While your friends are fighting, I'm afraid you will not be joining them. Sam, you must get the people of the Fire Nation to join you. No army can win without the support of its people."
The history of another world filled my mind, and one word stuck out from the rest: Vietnam. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to clear my head. Where had that come from?
"I'll do my best," I promised.
"What about us?" Sokka asked, motioning towards Toph, Sukki, and himself. "What's our destiny today?"
"What do you think it is?" Iroh asked, a small smirk playing on his lips.
"I think that... even though we don't know where Aang is, we need to do everything we can to stop the airship fleet."
"That means that when Aang does face the Fire Lord, we'll be right there if he needs us," Toph declared, slamming her fist into her palm.
Our actions afterwards were hasty. While Sokka, Sukki, and Toph loaded up on a giant eel hound, Zuko, Katara and I climbed aboard Appa. We decided it would be easier for them to drop me off in the Fire Nation capitol on their way to the palace.
"So if I'm going to be Fire Lord after the war is over," Zuko began, turning to Iroh, "what are you going to do?"
"After I reconquer Be Sing Se, I'm going to reconquer my tea shop," Iroh decided. "And I'm going to play Pai Sho every day."
"You'll have to reteach me, when we get back," I told him, smiling.
"Of course," he smiled.
"Goodbye, General Iroh," Katara said, and I gazed at our friends on the giant, lizard like creature.
Sokka caught my eye, and I motioned towards Toph, raising an eyebrow. He nodded, and motioned towards to Katara. There wasn't much I could do, but I nodded anyway.
It was a deal; I would protect his little sister, if he protected mine.
"Goodbye, everyone," Iroh said, stepping back. "Today, Destiny is our friend. I know it."