A Player With a Game

VII

"Let's go for a coffee break," Matt said, pulling me buy my hand towards the door.

"D-doesn't someone need to stay here though? And my bag."

"No, I lock the place up. We get one hour break for the two of us. Anyone who needs to visit me waits in the waiting area at the front desk, at 2 the door opens again and they can start coming in."

"Oh, great." I smiled. I walked behind him and we walked out the door into the fresh, cool air. I took a deep breath in as we walked beside each other.

"Where do you wanna go?"

"Um, I don't know. I don't eat out much." I said. His hand grabbed mine, making it feel small in his rather big ones. I tried to hide the smile that spread on my face but it was difficult.

"What are you all smiley about?" he asked.

"Um, nothing. Just - I like the cold."

"What?" he laughed, "I like you."

I smiled even harder and felt myself blushing. We walked into a cool coffee place, it didn't seem to packed, but it was filled with men dressed in suits.

"This is cliche." I whispered.

"I know, but I like being cliche with you. It's fun."

"And safe."

"True."

I walked behind him towards a table for two. He pulled out my chair and we were immediately attended to by a beautiful, blonde girl with a waiter outfit on. She had light green eyes and full, red lips. Her blonde, soft hair was pulled back to reveal a model-like face. She smiled gently at me and asked for my order.

"Um, coffee."

"How do you like it?"

"Um, l-like coffee usually is."

"Get her a mocha, please." he smiled her way.

"Alright," she giggled, "how about you? The usual?"

"Yes." he smiled. She walked away, her long legs making her every step look beautiful. I felt slightly jealous, but I didn't show it. I was never one to show my jealousy, and I didn't get jealous like other people did. My jealousy was the type of, "Darn, I wish I looked like her," rather than, "I hate her, she's hideous".

Matt kept looking at me, making me nervous. It wasn't long before he decided to take it a step further. I felt his leg rubbing against mine. Fortunately, the table cloth covered us to the floor. I tried to push his legs away but he kept his upper body looking normal, as if nothing was happening. I must have looked stupid, considering I was the only one struggling. His leg made it to my knees and would drop down. I finally decided to let him continue his game of making me weak.

Suddenly, Matt's leg dropped and I opened my eyes, jumping once I saw the woman with our drinks.

"You alright?" Matt asked.

"Y-yeah." I said, trembling. The woman placed my mocha before me and his rather different drink in front of him. He thanked her and she walked off to another table.

I picked up my drink, trying it and smiling.

"You like?" he asked.

"Yeah, it's great."

He finished his quicker than I did mine and he stood up, leaving a twenty dollar tip for the girl. I was confused when he went to the front desk, paying our bill. How does one leave a twenty dollar tip on a ten dollar bill?

We made our way out to the fresh air once more.

+

The day had been exhausting. A lot of people seemed to keep asking for a Johnny, who Matt told me was transferred from my job to a higher one since he'd held the secretary position for a good six years. But, overall, people were nice. Brian, our boss, had invited us to dinner the following Friday. But something happened right after work that made me question if I should even see Matt anymore.