Sequel: The Takeover
Status: It's finally finished! Which makes me sad... I miss writing Elessar and Idril :/

Criminal

Chapter Eight

My magik swirled into a tight ball of fear in my chest, I opened my eyes slowly. I tried to calm my breathing, but it was no use. My magik was alerting me for a reason. Something terrible is about to or is currently happening. There was a hissing from outside the window. My heart dropped into my stomach. It couldn't be a monster, they had all been eradicated from this area years ago. That's why magik was banned, once the monsters were gone there was no need to use it also because it attracted more monsters from the other lands.

I carefully slipped my arm out form under Idril's sleeping form and snuck to the front door to peer out the windows. What could possibly be out there? And how did it get here? The border to the human's land was at least a 6 month hike. Whatever it was has to be determined and must have a target.

I felt a presence behind me. I turned around and held my dagger to their throat.

"Jesus, Corinth you scared me." I panted and lowered my dagger.

"Did you feel it too?" She asked, acting like a civilized person. I nodded.

"What do you think it is?" I murmured.

"I have no idea but I bet it's evil." She answered an crouched down as it slithered past the window. "What was your gift?"

Gifts are a unique skill all magik users obtain when the master the basics. Mine wasn't extremely impressive, but could be very helpful.

"I can speak with monsters, or control them if they are weak." I answered, that was how I got the nickname Beast Whisperer. I had a feeling it would come in handy with this one.

"I'm going to go out there and talk to it, you go around back and watch it. Make sure it doesn't kill me." I winked and headed out the door.

The monster was ugly. He had dark green scales at his head that gradually fade to the dark blue at his tail. He had the body of a snake, except twenty times larger, and four long legs jutting from his smooth scaled body with four razor sharp talons on every foot.

His eyes were large and yellow with slotted pupils. If I had a phobia of snakes, or large reptiles I would have been terrified.

He let out an angered hiss when he saw me. Then he positioned himself to strike.

"Wait!" I yelled at him. "I only wish to know why you are here." His eyes narrowed, I knew my magik was working.

"You ssspeak ssssssserpent?" He hissed.

"No I'm just faking it." I sarcastically hissed back. He growled at me. No sarcastic comments unless I want to die, got it.

"You didn't answer my question." I continued and crossed my arms.

"Why should I answer a puny human? I could crush you if I wanted." He laughed a terrible hissing laugh.

I chuckled evilly, and summoned my sword that I haven't had the chance to use since they banned magik. "Because this mortal still remembers how we eradicated all of you kind. I've killed hundreds of your kind with this sword. Can't you see their souls trapped in its hilt?" The monster hissed and recoiled.

"That's more I like it." I smirked. "Now, why are you here?"

"The king sent me." It spat at me.

"For what." Why would our king send a monster? He was the one that gave the final push and helped the warriors defeat the last of them.

"I-I can't say." It muttered.

"Are you sure?" I asked with faux innocence. "I wouldn't want to have to accidentally remove one of your grotesque arms, just to get one simple answer." I slowly moved toward him, mocking him. He growled at me again, but this time I wasn't even slightly worried. Having my sword back in my hand was comforting, and gave me more courage.

"Fine." It glared at me. "He sent me to kidnap a girl, make it look like she died . Won't ruin his reputation. Said it would be easy, I would have no problem getting her. He promised me freedom if I did it right." He was rambling. What did he mean, kidnap a girl and frame her death? Why would the king do such a thing? I know his laws are ridiculous but I never would have thought he stoop this low for a girl. But what girl?

"Who is this girl?" I asked.

"No!" He roared and lunged at me. I evaded easily. It's is what I hated about these creatures, they were always so unpredictable. His tail whipped around and almost took out my legs, but instead I jumped on it. I pushed some of my magik to my feet to make sure I didn't fall off. I stabbed my sword into his tail, but the scales were much stronger than I anticipated, and I barley left a scratch. I have to use more magik than I wanted to, to power the sword up enough to cut through the scales. The beast screeched in pain and crawled at my ankles, the only part of me it could reach. Corinth came charging out of the shadows clad in magik battle armor. She jumped and landed in the reptiles snout and took out one of its eyes. It howled in pain and wrapped her off of its face . She started glowing orange and the monster dropped her as if she were on fire.

I took that chance to run up the back of the monster and put all the magik I had into my sword and swung at his neck. It easily cut through his neck with a sickening crunch. The beast went limp, and hit the ground with a thud.

"Tell the king he's a sick man when you see him in hell." I panted, then collapsed. I saw Idril in tears clutching on to Cotinth, then the world went black, I used too much magik. Who knows how long I'll be out. This is terrible, what will happen when the guards show up? No doubt their damn winged dogs smell that much magik. How they missed the reptilian monster, I will never know.

They are probably on their way right now. What will happen to me? More importantly, what will happen to Idril? I wouldn't be able to live with myself she went to jail or was beheaded because of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please :)